• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mathew01

Sergeant
98 Badges
Nov 17, 2011
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Cities in Motion
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Knights of Honor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
My first try at AAR i hope it goes well~!

Welcome to Norse America!
axZkEi4.jpg

UYHropc.jpg

fmlUcaz.jpg

We all know how the vikings found North America and established small settlements.
However, they all failed and very few traces remained. This AAR is a "what if" the colonization continued with much more enthusiasm.
That is until the Little Ice Age cut off contact and the colonies were thought lost. So European history continued relatively unchanged, and the talk of a distant land across the sea was only seen as the ravings of madmen who held onto old pagan beliefs. Seperated from the old world, and considering themselves abandoned by God, The people of the New World returned to the worship of the Old Gods. Norse nations now stretch from Greenland down too Cuba, and as far into America as the Mississippi. In most cases, the Nordic Settlers assimilated the local disease ravaged populace into their ranks, resulting in rapid population booms along the older nations of the east coat.

All custom nations are Norse, Norwegian, and Westernized.

I will be playing as Ny Skandinavia (New Scandinavia in Norwegian)

EJ5wcTv.jpg

Other nations too look out for as i play would be Ny Norge

zgv9VJU.jpg

Storvann

AEuAcYi.jpg

Ny Varmland

WaIJ90H.jpg

And possibly distant Vinland

kIySz6C.jpg

I will be playing this game to play it. There will be a little bit of RP but not too much.
My ultimate end goal? Reconquest of the long lost home land of Norway! The ancient land our fore fathers left for this new world.

I shall post the first game play update sometime tomorrow, after i spend tonight playing.

Thank you for reading!

Attachments

• Norse America!.jpg
    Norse America!.jpg
    231,1 KB · Views: 67
  • Ny Skandinavia.jpg
    Ny Skandinavia.jpg
    291,6 KB · Views: 58
  • Ny Norge.jpg
    Ny Norge.jpg
    296,7 KB · Views: 51
  • Far North.jpg
    Far North.jpg
    269,1 KB · Views: 56
  • Far South.jpg
    Far South.jpg
    277,6 KB · Views: 57
  • Storvann.jpg
    Storvann.jpg
    317,9 KB · Views: 50
  • Cuba.jpg
    Cuba.jpg
    294,7 KB · Views: 80
  • VInland North.jpg
    VInland North.jpg
    170,6 KB · Views: 63
  • axZkEi4.jpg
    axZkEi4.jpg
    229,6 KB · Views: 48
  • UYHropc.jpg
    UYHropc.jpg
    267,1 KB · Views: 58
  • fmlUcaz.jpg
    fmlUcaz.jpg
    275,6 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
This is a very interesting concept, and unique as far as I can tell. I hope you continue this cause it could prove a very cool AAR.

I've started a similar AAR (actually different, but it also involves Vikings in North America). I'm posting here to make sure you don't think I'm plagiarizing you - if you have doubts, see the release date on the video posted in my thread.

Anyway, it's a very interesting idea to set up multiple Norse colonies. best of luck with your AAR :)

This is a very interesting concept, and unique as far as I can tell. I hope you continue this cause it could prove a very cool AAR.
Thank you sir!

Sounds great!
Glad to hear from an experienced poster, thank you!

I've started a similar AAR (actually different, but it also involves Vikings in North America). I'm posting here to make sure you don't think I'm plagiarizing you - if you have doubts, see the release date on the video posted in my thread.

Anyway, it's a very interesting idea to set up multiple Norse colonies. best of luck with your AAR :)
No problem, thanks for the heads up, i'll keep an eye on yours.

Last edited:
Opening Moves​
November 17th 1444 to December 28th 1449

King Alric af Linder sat brooding on his throne, before him, several advisors offered their services. After sevral minutes, the king decided on Sturla Knagenhjelm, to improve the morale of his men, for the upcoming wars he foresaw.

GePLiuAh.jpg

He dismissed the candidates who were refused, telling them to return when they could be afforded. His next act was to send an offer of alliance to the neighboring kingdom of Einarssker and their Queen Anna. His offer was accepted almost at once.

JOyDzAhh.jpg

He than proceed to receive several reports of new goods being produced in his kingdom (what happens when you put a custom nation in TI it seems)

y2KmFo4h.jpg

Several months pass in relative quite, as the King accepts alliance offers from the trade republics of Storrvann and Vestby

OUHjSWch.jpg

dMuXgJTh.jpg

At long last now, the King decides to strike against the nation of Brattsholt to his east.
His armies and those of his allies swarm across the boarder and annihilate their army

Fu1S4Wmh.jpg

After Brattsholt's army has been defeated, the troops proceed to march on the nation of Skallholt to the south. Their attempt to defend their ally in the north was rather foolhardy for them., their amys are quickly brushed aside as they mach on the King's land and their home land is soon invaded. This invasion sparks an attack on them from Harfsfjord. However after a year, they seize a small sum of 28 ducats, and go home.

w0WRi9xh.jpg

This opportunism seems to cause an unrest in the court. Those dirty Harfsers!

3yeF2vHh.jpg

The War ends with the province of Alabama being seized from Skallholt while Brattsholt is forced into subjugation.
During the course of the war, our beloved heir Astrid died at the age of 15. It was a sad day for the whole nation.
During the aftermath of the war, the king celebrated with his concubines, resulting in the birth of a new heir!
His name is Gnupa (4, 0 , 6). There was much rejoicing.

The King receives reports later in the year of a war. It seems Ny Norge and its ally in Vinland have attacked the Nation of Osslond and its ally, the Holy Fylkir. We issue protests, however our ally Einarssker has a better idea, attack Ny Norge's ally Norlond!

jEOblXvh.jpg

This will be a war that sends many to Valhalla. The army prepares, and the natives who never accepted our rule use this distraction to revolt against us!

DKayRKGh.jpg

In other News, Ny Varmland puts its starting colonist to good use. troubling...

KMr8hWth.jpg

This marks the end of the update. I foresee a a BIG war coming up here based on these #'s (also a brief political map from Ny Norge's perspective)
My next update will have to wait till Monday. My job calls to me from Friday-Sunday, lots of big scary 8 am to 8/10 pm shifts, so no free time. The next update will cover this war, unless it turns out to be over in a few months.

nPczArvh.jpg

gnsRkxTh.jpg

Last edited:
The First Great Nordic War
December 28th 1449 to August 16th 1454

The First Great Nordic War was a string of conflicts involving almost every nation of the Norse world. The first war of its kind ever seen by the Nordic settlers of the Americas. The center piece of these wars was the conflict between Ny Skandinavia and Ny Norge, and their respective allies over key territory in Norlond.

The King of Ny Skandinavia faced the first war of this scale ever known. He debated fiercely with his advisers before deciding to send out his navy. However, by early March all of his ships rested at the bottom of the ocean when faced with the superior navy of Ny Norge.

j7nvNsch.jpg

Meanwhile, the situation in the north looks grim. With rebels rising, and enemy armies advancing southward, the King orders his army forward.

Q55kTSKh.jpg

Hoping for the best, he immediately launches into strategy meetings with representatives from Harfsfjord, Brattsholt, and Einarssker, the nations that made up the Southern Alliance. Facing them were the Northern Allies of Ny Norge, Norlond, and Kirklond. The nations of Osslond, Vestby, Ny Adger, Floksland, and the Fylkirite were associated with the Southern Alliance due to parallel wars with Ny Norge or its allies. Only the tribe of the Huron and Nordic Vinland associated itself with Ny Norge in the war.

Early in march, a combined force defeats Norlond's army, opening their lands for siege.

PzdXmMqh.jpg

ezt7ROph.jpg

Late October sees the renewal of combat as Kirklond marches south to relive Norlond. It is soundly defeated by a Ny Skadinavian/Harfsfjordian army and swifly routes back to its home base.

bBQ4cBQh.jpg

The months pass as the seige of Norlond continues. Kirklond and Einarssker's army stare at each other across the border while word arvies from the west that our distant ally Storvann has caught the fever of war and is advancing up the Great River.

B2ovGKnh.jpg

Then news arrives, Vestby, with its allies in Ny Adger and Floksland, have attaked Kirklond and its allies the Huron tribe.

BDpOXI9h.jpg

Finally, word comes from our amy, whe have seized the last Norlondic province, and raised our flag over the castle.

J7vmCSmh.jpg

Slowly the Southern Alliance advances forward and even by may of 1453, there has yet to be a single report of an army from Ny Norge setting foot into the warzone, even as their own land is invaded. Have they abandoned their allies to wage a war with the northern states?

hegfPDJh.jpg

Perhaps the Kings of the south had been to presumptuous in this opinion, as 9,000 troops arrive on the front, and by August, have forced Ny Skandinavia away from its gains.

kaEBAyeh.jpg

This seems to scare the Queen of Einarssker, who swiftly seizes a province from Kirklond in exchange for peace.

8BnXQCwh.jpg

The King decides this is opportunity to pull back and rest. his men are tired and ragged, the fleet is gone, and there are almost no men of age to be had to refill the ranks. He begins rebuilding the navy, nearly draining the treasury in the process.

ZTBGgAUh.jpg

But alas, all of this is proven unnecessary, and Norlond asks for peace, and the war ends.

49SkVLWh.jpg

yvq9b2ch.jpg

But for all of Einarssker's gains, Ny Skandinavia receives nothing but lost gold and men. How much has the King made his country bleed? And for what gain? To see another nation prosper at his owns cost? NO! The King begins to plot now, Einarssker should be made to pay its debt to Ny Skandinavia. A debt owed in blood...

Seriously hard war on my manpower....i had 2,000 to start, but after 1450, i went to 0 and stayed there for the rest of the war. i had 3 of those 0 manpower events (forgot the title already) and i picked the tax option on 1 and the manpower related one for the other 2, so im going to be in the red for a while because of that.

Alllllright. Another update. It seems being sick enough to not go to work leaves more time for EU4. WooHoo! Well the wars in the far north still rage. Vestby and gang V.s Kirklond, and Ny Norge continues its assault on the speaker of the Allfather but that is a topic for another day. Hope you enjoyed, and thank you for reading

Last edited:
Others might disagree with me, but I think it would be fun if you could post a zoomed out screenshot showing an overview of the Americas without terra incognita at creation, an initial save perhaps?

This is a fascinating concept and I look forward to seeing what happens next!

Also I am sure the Appalachian Norse, who are now on your bad side, are a very interesting and probably quite deadly hybrid hill people. But seriously native American style skrimishing tactics combined with Norse style equipment as well as regular heavy infantry and cavalry formations would be quite a force. If anyone else played the Norse faction in Mount and Blade you may have come to love heavy infantry with axes shields and javelins/throwing axes as well :laugh: I imagine most of the Americo-Norse nations would have similar military tactics and equipment as well. It would be a hell of a thing to see on such a scale.

Last edited:
This is a fascinating concept and I look forward to seeing what happens next!

Also I am sure the Appalachian Norse, who are now on your bad side, are a very interesting and probably quite deadly hybrid hill people. But seriously native American style skrimishing tactics combined with Norse style equipment as well as regular heavy infantry and cavalry formations would be quite a force. If anyone else played the Norse faction in Mount and Blade you may have come to love heavy infantry with axes shields and javelins/throwing axes as well :laugh: I imagine most of the Americo-Norse nations would have similar military tactics and equipment as well. It would be a hell of a thing to see on such a scale.
The concept would be a fun one to see. However, Norse attitudes towards the "Skræling's" were like that of Europeans to native Africans....savages seen beneath as them, so while the populace might have been absorbed, im sure tactics, culture etc would be ignored/abolished. and im a Swadian man myself, but jeez those Nord huscarls man...so much awesome in one unit should be illegal.

Huscarls are so mean! All the throwing axes left all over the place after a siege is possible my favorite aspect of those wonderful infantrymen :D

Are there any polities in Norse American you know of that adapted their culture to the locals more than the others?

Huscarls are so mean! All the throwing axes left all over the place after a siege is possible my favorite aspect of those wonderful infantrymen :D

Are there any polities in Norse American you know of that adapted their culture to the locals more than the others?
None specifically, but for story reasons, i can go with most of them west of the Mississippi would probably have more native themes than the coastal nations.

Also, i should update Sunday or Monday, all depends on how i feel after work Sunday. Have a big 15 year update all played out.

Last edited:
Very interesting idea! I'd just like to point out that to a native speaker "Ny Skandiavia/Norge/Agder/etc," looks a bit awkward because the adjective should have weak declension, which doesn't exist in English but does in Scandinavian languages. Therefore it should be "nye", not "ny". But it's up to you, I see you've already named a lot of countries.

I look forward to seeing more! :)

Very interesting idea! I'd just like to point out that to a native speaker "Ny Skandiavia/Norge/Agder/etc," looks a bit awkward because the adjective should have weak declension, which doesn't exist in English but does in Scandinavian languages. Therefore it should be "nye", not "ny". But it's up to you, I see you've already named a lot of countries.

I look forward to seeing more! :)
Well, that's what Google told me to spell it like, and i didn't know anyone who spoke Norwegian who could check it :( thanks for pointing it out though!

Consolidation of Power​
August 16th 1454 to September 24th 1470

The first step the King feels is necessary to increase his strength, is to bring in new advisers for the kingdom. Two more are hired on to fill out the ranks.

YWpp5zth.png

Then, on September 4th, shocking news reaches us. An unknown sailor from Vinland has rediscovered Europe, and in turn, Europe now knows of the New World. The implications in both the New and Old World will be immense. (i am assuming since we are all Western, and the way TI is revealed had a lot to do with this, i was expecting it, but not till the end of the century.)

SMnPOtnh.png

The King now realizes Europe will soon begin traveling to the Norse nations, and he begins to foresee that if not in his time, but in his son;s, or grandsons time, there will be war with Europe. To prepare, he orders the establishment of a settlement of a distant island in the great ocean to act as a forward base for naval operations.

W4iXYNBh.png

We also receive world from the north. The war has ended and the cost seems high.

ThQFLiXh.png

The King now deems the time is right to reveal our feelings to Einarssker. He ends the alliance. They proceed to show their true colors, and ally themselves with Ny Norge almost immediately!

9zhU1LOh.png

Now, with his army in good condition, the King decides to expand westwards. He declares a war on Skarholt and its ally Kvialand on the 16th of September 1458.This draws in the nations of Ny Skane and Ny Agder into the war in defense of Kvialand. Storvann answers our call to arms, and its forces march to our aid. By May 9th, of 1460, Skarholt has been overrun, and the alliance advances northwards.

MIA7rdih.png

By 1463, the war ends. Skarholt and Kvialand are now vassal states, with Ny Agder ceding Ohio and Chillicothe to Brattsholt, whom we immediately begin annexation of. To celebrate this victory, the King orders the construction of temples all along the coastline.

TnzhVHNh.png

And in other news, a lone ship from the Fylkir has parked itself off of the Bermuda coast, and has sat there for years now. Perhaps they are ensuring we are Norse enough for their liking? (still there in 1470...)

PqdGgbLh.png

December 11th, 1465 marks the annexation of Brattsholt. Ny Norge dislikes this, and we receive an embargo from them. We reply in kind.

qkKJ68hh.png

Meanwhile, Norlond and its ally Ny Agder attack Einarssker and its allies. It was a foolish move, that results in lost territory for Norlond and its friend.

sjcLNrVh.png

We begin a brief war, and annex Ny Skane, to get access to the un-colonized land in the north. At the same time, we find that Ny Varmland has expanded its influence onto the continent even more. Skagastrond has become a willing vassal state.

8DTSrGhh.png

oBzXl5ph.png

In response, the King orders the colonization of Ny Varmland's back yard.

XeQ9uSch.png

The Kingdom in 1470, It has grown quite a lot since the start of the game. We now have the potential to have the largest navy and army in America.

jj1uIWch.png

And in European news! No Poland Lithuania PU! such a happy day (my first ever game, Pol-Lith grew MASSIVE, Pu-ed Hungary, Austria, had all the GP's as allies....they were very very scary to poor Russia). Austria Inherited Burgundy, Argaon is in a PU under Castlie, and Urbino seems to have rampaged through Naples.

E0q1pPhh.png

Last edited:
Interesting, though I would have given the Norse nations only Eastern tech, as they've been cut-off from modern developments, it would also make it a bit more challenging (i.e. fun!)