• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

LanMisa

Major
63 Badges
Jun 17, 2013
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Magicka 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
After my Saxony AAR died after 100 years together with my save file, I asked what you want to see me try to do next. Well, at least a few of you. The two things that were most wished for were a Baluchistan becoming the Mughals. This will take place right after Art of War comes out, since the expansion will bring new provinces and nations to the game.

The second-placed entry was Tunisia, going for the Carthage achievment. And this is exactly what will happen here. I will keep this AAR shorter than the first one (after all, I want to be done by the time Art of War comes out). My chances to suceed are...5%, maybe? But at least you can see me try.

I invite you all to post me tips, solutions for the problems that will arise on the way, mockery for me not succeeding - suit yourself. But if you like the AAR, please post, or this thread will feel very lonely.

My main strategy right now is to go for Algiers and Morocco (first part done), then for Africa (Ethiopia, Mali, colonies) to get myself a power base that I can use for my wars in the Mediterranean. I will wait for a good opportunity (like a strong France attacking Castille) before I make my big move. If you have a better idea, please tell me.

Edit: Yes, the first attempt went horribly wrong. Iberia united itself. Portugal went full-throttle for Northern Africa - a powerless nations with a plethora of allies (Honestly, where is the -50 Great Power malus for Portugal allying Castille, England AND Aragon when even allying Otto and Quara is -100 for two Great powers? Or Castille going for Portugal and France?). But I already started a second attempt. It might succeed, it might not. And unfortunately most of the more uglier things happened again...but this time I am better prepared.

Edit 2: As you might know or not, The Bane of Rome returns won the EU4 OscAARs 2014! I want to thank all my readers that made this possible, everyone who voted for me (or voted at all) and everyone that commented here, filling this AAR with live. I couldn't have done this without you guys!

Last edited:
I have to say first: Since Art of War comes out soon and I fear that this might kill my save games, "there's no time!". Writing narratives like in my last AAR takes MUCH time, since I usually rewrite some parts of the text like two or three times - and the fact that even though I consider myself to be quite good in English (especially reading) compared to the average German, it is hard for me to think of stories in a non-native language. And then I need to look up words....Honestly, it would be difficult for me to write in German, too, since I am not that creative and not that funny. But hey, there's always room to improve!

So this time I will use a different, shorter narrative. I will include jokes here and there -after all, AAR's are all supposed to be fun to read, not a chore. But the style of Saxony won't return until my Post - AoW AAR of Baluchistan->Mughals.

My main strategy right now is to go for Algiers and Morocco (first part done), then for Africa (Ethiopia, Mali, colonies) to get myself a power base that I can use for my wars in the Mediterranean. I will wait for a good opportunity (like a strong France attacking Castille) before I make my big move. If you have a better idea, please tell me.

Focus military, take military ideas while staying up in military tech, and ally Ottomans. Declare on Mamluks and block the Ottomans occupying anything they want by camping those provinces first (if you're not sure you can make it or Mamluk army looks scary, ship stuff to Ottomans before the war and leave a few guys to scorch your bordering provinces in Tripoli). Take a ton of crap, including a Syrian province that doesn't border Ottomans and Sinai + Dumyat. In the next war, feed Syria the discount cores and take more, possibly setting up a border with Ethiopia so you can declare again to bypass the truce.

Once the Mamluks are gone, you are strong enough to beat the Ottomans straight up. Drop that alliance, ally France, and destroy Anatolia by shattering Ottos across the strait then blocking it. You can use sea or land units to block it. If you use land units, just put 2 decent-sized stacks next to each other so the Ottomans must take a -2 to attack them and siege out the rest with small stacks. If the derps bring in QQ you can probably bring in Timmy.

In between all these wars, nibble on Mali to grow in that direction. I didn't have any colonization ideas so I just attacked Portugal and took their 3 African provinces to reach Mali.

Having an alliance with France, wait for them to be rivaled with Castile/Spain and then ship forces to France and declare. The ensuing war will not make your top 10 most challenging feats. I quit this game after getting the achievement as I could have solo'd the Iberians in future wars at that point and with the Ottomans off the map, immediate threats were sparse.

Of course, stacking military ideas isn't the most exciting thing in the world, but it makes the achievement really straightforward to national-focus military, have a military advisor, and stack military ideas. The base cost of a Muslim military idea is 840. A +1 advisor, average military ruler, and military NF gives you 1404 military points per 13 years. If you want to keep going late into the game, Aristocratic + 2 other military idea groups will give you -52% tech cost to military (42% from ideas, 10% from aristocratic). Between that and a university, you could then switch focus onto something else and still maintain military at current-for-year if you avoid harsh treatments (no reason you have to use them). If you get a high military ruler you could even stack up buildings there while building up ADM or DIP ideas, so if you want to just beat on stuff until the end of the game after opening with 3-4 military ideas and never westernize it's plenty viable in single player, especially because I haven't factored better advisors yet, which you start being able to afford quickly.

Much text

Yes, this was more or less the idea of the run - except to rely that much on military ideas. My original plan was to go Expansion first and military afterwards to take much of Africa and thus gain more power - gunning for the provinces in Europe later. On the other hand, maybe a more militant start might be benefical in the long run? Which military idea do you suppose I should take first, then? Aristocratic for super Cavalry? Offensive for better Generals? The others don't seem to be worth my time right now.

The rest is what I planned, too. Unfortunately France doesn't want to ally me right now (even with maxed out relations) and there is a very strong Iberian Alliance. And as long as Tunisia is free I can't claim the Mamluks - or fabricate a reason for war, so I am currently waiting for Otto to make a move. On the other hand, I guess I need to be more agressive since Iberia is GUNNING for Africa right now...three wars against Algiers and Morocco (combined) already!

Tomorrow I will post the first Chapter, just uploaded the pictures on Imgur but am too tired to think of any meaningful text right now.

You won't be able to ally France until you've stomped out the other Berbers + much of the Mamluks. By then your power is attractive to them and your location isn't, so I've never had trouble allying them.

As for stacking military ideas, I usually open aristocratic with nations like this due to the combination of shock (good earlygame), extra general, and -10% tech cost as well as big core cost deterrent, but offensive is excellent also. In my successful run IIRC my first 3 ideas were all military (my personal favorite trifecta of offensive, aristocratic, quantity), then I finally went something else lol. I built up my power base in Mali by abusing poor AI shipping overseas to get ticking war score on Portugal and taking their colonies, allowing me to reach Mali w/o exploration or expansion. I did this in between working into the Middle East, so by the time I decided to challenge Ottomans I had all of North Africa, almost everything in the Mali region (including everything good), the Arabian peninsula, and some of East Africa. Ottomans actually were behind in mil tech at that point too so in my case fighting them with 2 sets of military ideas or so, a tech lead, and a #'s advantage was trivial.

After screwing around sufficiently for my tastes, I simply landed a good 100+ military idea boosted regiments at equal tech to Iberia in ally France's land and attacked alongside the usual French unit spam. Iberia was pathetically overmatched and by kicking Portugal out early I was able to just attack them again 5 years later and shatter them even more, no need for France in that one.

0) Prologue

The restoration of the mighty Empire of Carthage started in November 1444. After marrying the princess of Libya and thus reuniting the two Berber realms under one sultan, Sultan 'Uthman Hafsid thought much about the glorious history of his ancestors. Once the brothers and sisters of Carthage ruled over a mighty Empire, one of the leading trading nations in the Mediterranean. They were loved by their friends and feared by their enemies. Even after losing a bitter war against Rome, giving up their holdings in Italy, another Son of their homelands, Hannibal, had Rome at his mercy...but threw away certain victory because of his indecision.

The Romans were history - several hundert years before, the Western part of their former mighty empire had fallen, and now their Eastern realm had been reduced to Constantinople and some Agaean holdings. But the Carthageans never seized the chance to reclaim their lost territories: On Iberia, three new Kingdoms - the Portuguese, the Castillians and the Aragonese were short of throwing the last Muslims off the peninsula. In the Mediterranean, Aragon had conquered most of the islands that were former territory of Carthage. And in Africa, other Sultanates like Algiers and Morocco had taken provinces that were rightfully part of Carthage!

Something had to be changed. Sultan 'Uthman of Tunisia (this is what the Carthageans used to call themselves at that time) knew that he had to act - now or never. With the help of his new ally, the Libyans, he was strong enough to return Carthage to it's former glory.

1) The Subjugation of Algiers

The Sultan knew that he needed two things: Alliances and territory. Tunisia was very poor, the only income it generated came from Nomads coming through the Sahara desert to sell exotic goods from Sultanates in Central Africa. But since the Italian nations had taken over the trade in the Mediterranean, Tunisia didn't profit much. Beside trade, only a few fisherman living on the coast generated some tax income for the ever-empty treasure chests. 'Uthman Hafsid knew that fresh money could only reach the treasures by expanding his realm. And since the provinces of Algiers were former Carthagean lands anyway, he sent his diplomats into Algeria to renounce his claim on these lands.

At the same time, Tunisia needed strong allies: In a world where Crusades could happen at any time and when Iberia and France generated armed men like there are drops in the water, Tunisia needed the help of other Muslims to protect them from the ever-looming threat. Morocco - even though 'Usman saw them as future subjects - was powerful and a good ally against Algiers - they harbored a grudge against each other. After the alliance was secured, Diplomats were sent to the great Turk-Empire of the Ottomans, the strongest Muslim Country in the whole world at that time. Slowly but steadily they were persuaded that the security of Tunisia was important for the security of the Ottomans themselves.

In 1445, after increasing his army by 2000 men, equally mounted and unmounted men, 'Uthman declared war on Algiers, inviting Morocco to the battle. Allyless, their armies were demoralized before the battle had even begun. In the battle of Constantine on February 3rd, where 'Uthman led his troops directly, 8 out of 10 Algerians fell while only 1 out of 10 Tunisian did not survive the day

YyqfHQb.jpg

The fleeing troops were pursued and finally caught up with in Al-Djazair. When the remaining troops of Algiers saw the united army of Morocco, Tunisia and Libya, they refused to fight and disbanded immediately. Of course, being a man of piety, they were given save conduct. At the same time, a joint naval operation of Tunisia and Libya sunk the Algerian fleet in a single but decisive strike near the Coast of Tunis.

fKffM7n.jpg

Being a man of piety brought forth some dark sides of Sultan 'Uthman too, unfortunately. When a mob of radical Sunni followers attacked a small group of Ibadi believers in Tunis, he actively encouraged them to go even further, resulting in a night of bloodshed in the whole realm.

8aQxBc9.jpg

In November 1446, the Ottomans finally came to the opinion that an alliance with Tunisia would be in their best interest and that both nations would profit from this arrangement. Historians would call their relationship as "friendly", quite unusual in a time of bloodshed and mistrust in the whole civilized world. They refused to join the war against Algiers, though. It was long won for Tunisia anyway, so they preferred to concentrate on their war on the Balkans against Serbia.

QH7jtuO.jpg

Right afterwards, Sultan 'Uthman sent his historians into the old libraries of Tunis. He wanted them to gather all materials about the Carthagean history in Sardinia to substatiate his claims on this soil which was part of the Aragonese empire at that time.

NXYbQms.jpg

During the war against Algiers, bad news came from Morocco. Apparently the Iberians saw their provinces in Northwestern Africa as their own and prepared for war. All of them - Portugal, Aragon and Castille - began to land troops on Morocco's shores. 'Uthman saw this with sorrow. Even though Morocco was a future rival in his eyes, the agressiveness of the United Nations of Iberia could not be in his interest. Since he was unable to substantially help his brethens in Morocco, though, he refused to partake in this war.

YCJ3Jv2.jpg

In July 1448, the war against Algiers had ended. 'Uthman decided to only take some of the poorer provices bordering his own and the goal of the war, Biskra. He knew that conquering Berber land was easy, but integrating it was hard. So he planned for an indirect approach of subjugating Algiers instead - and then to slowly but steadily revoke their autonomy until both countries would have become one. He also denied Morocco the province of Laghwat which they had successfully sieged. This led to tensions between both countries which were only slightly eased by the fact that due to an early death of the Sultan of Morocco in a battle against the Iberians both nations were now ruled by the same dynasty.

sL4oKK3.jpg

'Uthman, having taken the province of Biskra from the Algerians, now had a big number of Ibadi believers in his land. To convert them to the true Sunni faith, he decided to choose a different method than he used in Tunis. By donating money to the poor he tried to show the moral supremacy of the Sunni.

W9MA0be.jpg

At the same time, he hired a missionary - called Hadj Akimi - to convince the people to change their heretical beliefs. This put quite a strain on the empty treasure chests of Tunisia, but this was necessary in his eyes.

8X36Szu.jpg

In December 1449, the process of integrating the Berber minority finally bore fruit. They now saw themselves as being equivalent to the ruling Maghrebians. The tensions between both cultures eased considerably.

BwXunsA.jpg

Unfortunately, Sultan 'Uthman would not be able to harvest the fruits of his hard work. In February 1450 he died while in Biskra, on his way to Hadj Akimi to witness the progress of the conversion first-hand. Since his son Yahyâ Hafsid was too young, a Regency council took over for the young prince for a few months. In September 1450, he was crowned as the new Sultan of Tunisia and Libya

Vp3m8WO.jpg

t4ui4Ex.jpg

Sultan Yahyâ was as pious as his father had been. In his lands, he protected any Sunni fellowers, erasing the steets of the Pilgrimage to Mecca from any Bandits that appeared. On the other hand, he agreed to expel any Christian and Jewish merchants in Tunis, thus lowering his income from trade by a large amount - at least for the ever-empty treasure chests of Tunisia.

dXjAqX5.jpg

His piety paid off, though. In July 1456, the last heretics in Biskra converted to the true Sunni faith, thus creating the formula :"One land - one faith". With the reconciliation between Berbers and Maghrebian and the religious unity in the country, Tunisia was in a state of pure peace and happiness. For all but Hadj Akimi: Since his work had been done and he demanded a great amount of the monthly income for his service, he was fired right away.

wJviRA8.jpg

Disconcerning news came from Algiers. Apparently the Castillians had declared war on them and demanded the province of Oran. The rapid expansion of the Iberians was not to the Sultan's liking. The fact that Portugal still managed to hold both Castille and Aragon in an alliance, the so called "Iberian Axis", meant that they had naval supremacy in the Mediterranean and made any conquest by sea into their territory impossible - while they were able to start seaborn invasions of Africa.

3Lhx5WQ.jpg

To not fall behind in their Subjugation of the Northern African coast, Sultan Yahyâ increased his efforts in the military sector. And indeed, by July 1459 his troops had improved so much that their Morale and their ability to follow their General's orders had improved tremendously. For him, this was the perfect opportunity to strike Algiers again and to finish what his father couldn't do: to bring them under Tunisian rule.

bkf59CH.jpg

Only one battle of this war ever found it's way into modern military history books. In the Battle of Biskra, an 11,000 men strong army of Tunisians and Libyans, led by Sultan Yahyâ, defeated an 8,000 men strong Algerian army - even though Yahyâ had to attack them over a river, and even though their losses were almost equal. The fleeing troops were finally routed in Gafsa and the land was sieged.

PnUW20u.jpg

In July 1460, Castille decided to make a peace deal with Algeria, only taking their war goal of Oran. It is unknown if that or the traumata from the Battle of Biskra that caused the slight mental illness in Sultan Yahyâ. In August 1460, the illness could no longer be denied. Decisions were made that the provinces should be given more autonomy - increasing the efficiency of trade without the former restrictions the Sultan had enacted.

i9Cib2d.jpg

Unfortunately, the sickness did not get away. In an attempt to appeal Allah for his recovery, he denied to tax Muezzins and Imams - but with no impact. Allah moves in mysterious ways.

R0G8tyG.jpg

In February 1462, the Iberians, led by Portugal, went to war with Africa again - for the third time in 18 years! This time they invaded Morocco - which Yahyâ had allied with during his reign. Even Aragon sent a few ships to their expedition force. Looking at the forcefulness of the Iberians, Yahyâ decided to leave Morocco to their own fate and to concentrate on Algiers for the moment.

TPTf6lG.jpg

That war ended months later in May 1462. Laghwat was annexed - this was demanded by the population of Tunisia - and Algiers subjugated, becoming the first vassal in the Tunisian Empire.

tQHWys2.jpg

With the first step taken, Yahyâ thought about what he could do next. The Sahara made any expansion towards the South nearly impossible. In the East Libya prevented them from effectively attacking the Mamluks. In the North, Aragon subjugated the Pope and began to expand into Italy. In the West, Tunisia finally had a land connection towards Morocco - which held provinces that the Iberians were after themselves. All possible ways of Expansion were not without problems. In the end, he decided to rival the Mamluks as well as Morocco - they had not proven themselves to be a useful ally - and Portugal. He hoped tat Portugal's policy to unite Castille and Aragon in an alliance at the same time might cause their own downfall sooner or later.

But just like his father, he should not be the one to harvest. In October 1462, after two long years of illness, Sultan Yahyâ died, leaving behind his son Ahmad, still too young to rule the country by himself.

Zw7N2pj.jpg

Fortunately, he had prepared for his untimely death and hired only the best advisors he could find in his country. They were sure to guide his son until he became old enough to rule the country all by himself.

xJIDuPb.jpg

Last edited:
Great job early on against Algeria. I also sympathize with the amount of regencies one might have through sheer bad luck. Especially if your regency council has porous stats. But seems like you're okay.

The showdown with the Iberians shall certainly prove to be phenomenal, especially if the Ottomans, your allies, get heavily involved. Time to get ready to re-write Lepanto!

Okay,

it's been quite a while. I was busy learning, doing sports (Floorball and Chess), trying out some other games (Vicky II is quite interesting). All of this had a good reason, though:

I was crushed.

Yes, it happened. A string of very unfortunate events happened to my game and it made me rage (which I usually do once a year, if at all). I made some bad decisions, too, but the AI just screwed with me. And after that utter defeat I needed some time to motivate myself for a second run. (Looking at the screenshot dates, it took me a full month....)

Rejoice, though! This evening I started the second run. It does not look perfect (Iberia stays strong in this one, too), but I hope it is manageable. And my start was much stronger than the first one, too (thanks to BaneWilliams Twitch Channel for some ideas!) - by 1458 I already own most of Morocco and Algiers, including a Gold province. If I somehow manage to get to either Mali or Ethiopia fast it should work out, no matter what happens in Iberia. Even they should not be able to survive buttloads of cash...eh, mercs...that I'd be able to throw at them.

Of course I will post my second run (no matter if I will make it or not) and the rest of the failed first run here, too. But since I feel a little bit pressured by time right now I might play a lot (of the free time I have) right now and postpone the updates a little bit.

Good luck with your 2nd run then!

2) What could possibly go wrong now?!?

Now, where were we starting from?

nht3kJ6.jpg

Ah, yes, the regency council. Sultan Yahyâ died but left his son with strong ministers to aid him in his struggle against the world. Algeria was secured as a vassal - grudgingly, but without any chance to succeed in a rebellion. The relation with Tripoli was strong as ever. Morocco, the next target of the Sons of Carthage, was currently fighting all the Iberian nations at the same time. It was a matter of time before they were to fall and Carthage could get the rest of the country for itself. For this reason a Claim was fabricated. After the end of the regency this would give the young Sultan Ahmad the perfect opportunity to increase the power of his land.

JzGmUV2.jpg

But then some tragedies occured.
First the Berbers of Bejaja rose against the just rule of Carthage. Many good men died fighting in these wars between Brothers, leaving behind many a woman without her beloved.
Second a great plague struck the land. The lands of Annaba were left devastated. Children lost their parents, parents lost their children. The bodys of the dead were left lying in the open because nobody was left to bury them
Third was an omen of Allah: A great comet appeared in the sky, making the heavens drown in a red that looked like blood to many a man. What could that mean for the future of the House of Hafsid? Many feared for the worst.

fYaBi2V.jpg

The last omen were news from their brothers of Candar. News spread the land that the Emir of Candar had totally lost his mind and got an obsession about the Archduchy of the Habsburgs - a faraway land nobody in the realm of Carthage had ever visited before.

yyjzgwf.jpg

News came from Morocco then. Apparently the greedy Castillians had grabbed the merchant city of Melilla for themselves, robbing one of Moroccos finest cities. Meanwhile the Portuguese continued to siege the whole land that was left. Truly a black day for the Islamic World!

Ilx90DO.jpg

Carthage's most formidable ally, the Ottoman Empire, meanwhile managed to finally storm the City of World's Desires: Constantinople. The former proud and mighty Eastern Roman Empire was reduced to some land in Greece, directly bordered by the greedy merchants of Venice. The Turks had become the true successor of the Eastern Roman Empire.

jUAKnOS.jpg

In September 1465 Sultan Ahmad III rose to the throne. He was a monarch more formidable than his successors, but still not as bright as his advisors had been. A great fest was held in the capital of Tunis. Nobles from the whole Arabic world attended the festivities. Nobody could have guessed that he was the last one of his lineage to rule over the land. But his coronation ceremony was the last happy day in the Sultanate of Tunisia.

3Jv3K9c.jpg

Only a few months after Ahmad came of age, the war between Portugal and Morocco ended. And with it the realm of Morocco. Portugal took everything: The prosperous coastline. The gold mines further inland. The trading cities of Fez and Figuig. All that was left was a shadow of a realm, living only have someone left to tell the tale of Portugals greed. And since Figuig was the only province on which Sultan Ahmad had a claim, any war against Morocco was now impossible. At the same time, the greedy Portuguese rivalled Carthage, telling them exactly what their insatisfiable hunger was craving next. And since the Iberian Alliance was still intact, it was obvious that they would just take what they want, when they want it.

cLr62SN.jpg

Ahmad knew that he had to protect himself. Since the Noble Cavalry was the backbone of his country, he decided to increase the rights of the Aristocrats in his realm and to give them tax privileges. To compensate for this he ordered them to train better horses and to find ways to decrease the cost of their deployment.

pmKsrgt.jpg

And he knew that to succeed in his ambitions, he needed more power to challenge the Iberians - he needed more land. The West was out of question thanks to the Iberians and the South was inhospitable for all but a few caravans from the inner realms of Mali and Songhai. The north was protected by a web of alliances which Carthage had no chance of beating. Only the realm of the Mamluks was left as a way of Conquest for the Bane of Rome. So when the Ottomans declared war on their long-term enemy, Ahmad gladly joined the war. It was his first and most grave mistake in his young life.

LHp08TA.jpg

The forces of the Mamluks and the Ottomans were evenly matched, their alliances similar in strength. But for reasons unexplainable, the Sultan of Alexandria decided not to fight the Ottomans in a fair fight. Instead he turned half of his forces south towards the Sultanate of Tunisia. The general of Tunisia was so surprised when he saw the Mamluks suddenly arrive on the battlefield that he died of a heart attack even before the battle begun. The troops of Tripoli and Carthage, now left leaderless, were too shocked to offer any resistance against the second-in-command of the Mamluks.

VyfKpUN.jpg

At the same time, a large Mamluk fleet blockaded all the ports of Carthage, preventing their ships from leaving the harbours. Now the troops were trapped - they could not join their Ottoman allies on the battlefield per sea and the only land connection was blocked by the slowly-advancing Mamluck troops.

NdSxkZW.jpg

Then the big Southern Army of the Mamluks began to move. They went through Tripoli, ignoring their territory, and began to siege the castle of Tunis. This opportunity was used by a few brigades, mostly hired from mercenaries, to start a counter-expedition into the Egypt lands of the Mamlucks. This, alas, began to drain the coffins of the Sultanate. One credit after the next had to be taken from the greedy merchants of Venice and Genoa, leaving the country in a state of near-bankruptcy.

DOU6YCq.jpg

In an attempt to change the course of the war, Ahmad III gave even more privileges to the Aristocrats of his realm. On the other hand they sent more of their serfs to Ahmad so that he could fill up the many ranks in his army.

Nc6kmoQ.jpg

The war was looking good for the Ottomans. They managed to beat back the forces of Aq Qoyunlu and Timur at the same time, filling not only their coffins but also increasing their realm. Tunisia, who had fared not so well and whose homelands were still sieged by the forces of the Mamlucks, agreed to have the Ottomans negotiate in their stead, in the hope to get some territories in Africa to compensate for the losses of men and money during the conflict.

ywlljBA.jpg

Strange news came from the Northern part of Europe. The King of Burgundy, one of the mightiest man on Christianity, had died without any suitable heirs. Since he had been a true Catholic from beginning to the end, he decided to give all his belongings to the church, including every ounce of land that he had ruled during his life. The pope decided that the Bishop of Cologne would be the most suitable man to look over all the former Burgundian holdings.

aEGLzjS.jpg

While in Africa, Ahmad suffered from a personal crisis as well. His younger brother Salih, making him responsible for the grave situation of Carthage, tried to overthrow him in a coup d'êtat. Being with him in his royal chambers all alone, after Ahmad had sent away his personal guard, Salih made his move. He drew his sword and pointed it at the throat of Ahmad. Only through his harsh training with his generals during the regency was Ahmad able to survive - but he had to slay his own brother to stay alive. It broke his heart beyond repair.

PEnFb1M.jpg

Even though most of Egypt was under control of Tunisian troops, the land was shattered. Important parts of the empire were held by Mamluck garrisons and rebels plagued the land. Some of them, like the Berbers, wanted to free themselves from the reign of Carthage. Some of them, like the Peasants, were kust looking for bread to feed their starving wifes and children.

2QQPtY9.jpg

And then the fateful day came when the dream of a renewed Carthage shattered into peaces. The Ottomans decided to make peace with the Mamlucks. And at the tables of negotiation the great fight of Carthage was completely denied! The Ottomans took over many patches of land from the Mamlucks and emptied their treasures while Carthage was left with nothing but huge debts, dead bodies and revolts everywhere. And since the truce between the two countries was now lasting for more than 15 years, there was no way left for Carthage to expand. With his country broken beyond repair and his brother dead only eleven years after his reign began, Ahmad fell into the worst despair possible.

1Z33csO.jpg

And on the day he declared war on the whole of Iberia and England at the same time, dragging the Ottomans into the war as well, his only wish was to see the world burn. And with him his own country as well as the country that had betrayed him the most - the Ottomans.

KAT0XP1.jpg