• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's a shame that your plan to marry Ryan to Lissa fell through, but him as a son-in-law is great. I also really like how much Ryan and Damon's relationship to Tommen parallels Eddard and Robert's fostering with Jon Arryn. Two minor points: First, I think you already said (almost verbatim) that stuff about time not really standing still. Maybe that isn't an issue. Second, in the spirit of you pointing out that Tommen wasn't a perfect jouster, I think it does bear mentioning that he's a better fighter than Ryan yet still lost. I don't think it was in any way implausible, but it does make me curious about how you think Tommen and Ryan compare as warriors. My own interpretation is that Tommen is a slightly better swordsman than Jaime or Loras at their primes, but to the same extent worse on horseback. Ryan I don't know, but after his first battle I think of him as less like a Homeric hero (unlike, say, Rhaegar, Robert, or the other renowned warriors in the series) and more like a stalwart comrade-in-arms.

Last edited:
Good update, and a /merry/ one, at that. Good to see that things are going cooler now than this cycle of war has ended. By the way, a couple questions about details that left me wondering:

1. How does Edric likes you after granting him the Stormlands and legitimasing him? I hope it is fair more than the starting -100, or else he could be starting troubles soon.

2. Why didn't you retake the Iron Islands in the same war? Didn't you get a CB to reclaim all of your dejure land for an independent ruler? Also, it's somewhat sad that Victarion and Barristan didn't met each other in battle. Some dragonkin drama could have been awesome. I still keep my hopes for some in the future, though.

3. Is the reference to the wildman in the part about the hunt a reference to an event? Or maybe to the lore? I vaguely recall that one of the random event to improve your skills has to do with an eremite, but I thugh it had to do with learning, not intrigue.

4. From your writing, I get that you actually don't have a valid CB against Braavos, am I right? And while we are talking about Essos, if I remember correctly, Meereen is still uder you, with a king-tier vassal in it, right? How is the situation there? I hope it will bring interesting news in the future. How is a meereenese "king" under a westerosi "emperor" called in game, by the way? I think that it is only fair that he gets the "warden of the east" minor title :p

At question number 3, I assume the "Wildman" is Shagga, Son of Dolf.

First, I think you already said (almost verbatim) that stuff about time not really standing still. Maybe that isn't an issue.
Part 25 took place over four years. At the beginning his twins are born, yet by the time of the Tournament of Harrenhal they're no longer babies. Not much happened during those years, so I had to take a huge leap forward. Well, on my standards at least. : D After all chapter 1 was five years long and it consisted of ten parts..

Second, in the spirit of you pointing out that Tommen wasn't a perfect jouster, I think it does bear mentioning that he's a better fighter than Ryan yet still lost. I don't think it was in any way implausible, but it does make me curious about how you think Tommen and Ryan compare as warriors. My own interpretation is that Tommen is a slightly better swordsman than Jaime or Loras at their primes, but to the same extent worse on horseback. Ryan I don't know, but after his first battle I think of him as less like a Homeric hero (unlike, say, Rhaegar, Robert, or the other renowned warriors in the series) and more like a stalwart comrade-in-arms.

The tournament mechanics is one of the few things I'd like to see upgraded in the mod. The chances for poor fighters to win are far too high, and Ser Arwyn placing third is a good example of that. He was just some random guy from Wycombe with charismatic negotiator trait and none of the four fighter traits. I tried to bring that out by saying Tommen isn't expecting to win every jousting tournament, because the chances are so low. In the books it's mostly Jaime and Loras who dominate the lists, but I can't get close to that in-game.

Tommen is a formidable fighter whereas Ryan is a skilled one. It was pure luck that he won the tournament because Tommen's chances of winning were higher. I agree with you that Tom is on Jaime's or Loras's level in swordsplay, and maybe even better since he beat the latter one without getting even a scratch. Both Rhaegar and Robert have skilled fighter traits as well, just like Ryan. The latter only has the dutiful commander -trait, whereas Rhaegar is a skilled one and Robert a brilliant leader.

How does Edric likes you after granting him the Stormlands and legitimasing him? I hope it is fair more than the starting -100, or else he could be starting troubles soon.
His -100 relationship with Tommen was mostly because he desired the Stormlands and Tommen had them. Now that he got what he wanted, everything is fine. He's got +100 relations with Tommen.

Why didn't you retake the Iron Islands in the same war? Didn't you get a CB to reclaim all of your dejure land for an independent ruler? Also, it's somewhat sad that Victarion and Barristan didn't met each other in battle. Some dragonkin drama could have been awesome. I still keep my hopes for some in the future, though.
jC2SEhN.png

Yeah, that would've been awesome. I'm doing this AAR in version 0.51 before the huge dragon update 0.6, and I am not sure if that one handles better the dragon duels. Most likely. I have not tried the new version, because the old save doesn't work in it. But just sit tight, there'll be more of blood and fire to come. ;)

4. From your writing, I get that you actually don't have a valid CB against Braavos, am I right? And while we are talking about Essos, if I remember correctly, Meereen is still uder you, with a king-tier vassal in it, right? How is the situation there? I hope it will bring interesting news in the future. How is a meereenese "king" under a westerosi "emperor" called in game, by the way? I think that it is only fair that he gets the "warden of the east" minor title :p
No, I don't have a claim on Braavos. I could fabricate one or just declare an embargo war. I gave independence to all the lords under me in Meereen. All of Dany's courtiers still are with me, though, and I am able of hiring the unsullied for an extra low cost.

Last edited:
"Part 25 took place over four years. At the beginning his twins are born, yet by the time of the Tournament of Harrenhal they're no longer babies. Not much happened during those years, so I had to take a huge leap forward. Well, on my standards at least. : D After all chapter 1 was five years long and it consisted of ten parts.."

I meant the part about how time slowing down in battle is a lie. You said that on page 4 as well. It's an interesting point, I just wasn't sure you meant to repeat it.

"The tournament mechanics is one of the few things I'd like to see upgraded in the mod. The chances for poor fighters to win are far too high, and Ser Arwyn placing third is a good example of that. He was just some random guy from Wycombe with charismatic negotiator trait and none of the four fighter traits. I tried to bring that out by saying Tommen isn't expecting to win every jousting tournament, because the chances are so low. In the books it's mostly Jaime and Loras who dominate the lists, but I can't get close to that in-game.

Tommen is a formidable fighter whereas Ryan is a skilled one. It was pure luck that he won the tournament because Tommen's chances of winning were higher. I agree with you that Tom is on Jaime's or Loras's level in swordsplay, and maybe even better since he beat the latter one without getting even a scratch. Both Rhaegar and Robert have skilled fighter traits as well, just like Ryan. The latter only has the dutiful commander -trait, whereas Rhaegar is a skilled one and Robert a brilliant leader."

I agree that if so many no-talent fighters are beating the best that's a problem. You did a fine job making the tournament coherent anyway. And Rhaegar and Robert not being formidable is surprising: Rhaegar was at least on Ser Arthur Dayne's level in the books, and if anyone deserves the highest level of fighter it was him. And since Robert beat Rhaegar in a fair fight, it wouldn't be unreasonable to think he was a formidable fighter too.

Also, in my first post I forgot to say how great your story is. Even with the occasionally wonky grammar, I'm having more fun with this than any other AAR on the forum. Keep up the good work!

I meant the part about how time slowing down in battle is a lie. You said that on page 4 as well. It's an interesting point, I just wasn't sure you meant to repeat it.
Oh right. It was not my intention to write it twice.

I agree that if so many no-talent fighters are beating the best that's a problem. You did a fine job making the tournament coherent anyway. And Rhaegar and Robert not being formidable is surprising: Rhaegar was at least on Ser Arthur Dayne's level in the books, and if anyone deserves the highest level of fighter it was him. And since Robert beat Rhaegar in a fair fight, it wouldn't be unreasonable to think he was a formidable fighter too.
There's no record of Rhaegar's skills. Arthur Dayne was a legend even when he lived, whereas Rhaegar's only victory in a tournament was at Harrenhal. I think there was some conversation between Dany and Barristan in the books where she asks him about Rhaegar, only to find out he wasn't quite what she imagined. Then again Robert never won any jousting tournaments as far as I know, but he was good in the melee's.

In my experience in the mod the character's health and fighter trait determine how good one is in combat. That's why strong characters often tend to take down those with higher fighter traits, because the strong -trait gives a buff to health. That's why I was so scared to engage Ser Lothor Brune in a duel in Part 14. Robert has the strong trait as well, which places him above Rhaegar even though they have the same fighter trait. Still, Robert was badly wounded in his duel with Rhaegar at the Trident, which means it was a close fight.

Interestingly Favoured By Rhllor also gives a lot of health, which is the reason why Stannis doesn't seem to die in battle and takes down formidable foes. And maimed trait reduces the health, which makes the character more likely to lose the fight.

Also, in my first post I forgot to say how great your story is. Even with the occasionally wonky grammar, I'm having more fun with this than any other AAR on the forum. Keep up the good work!
Thanks! I haven't decided if I'll continue writing this AAR after Tommen's demise since the save is not compatible with the current version of the mod. We'll see.

Last edited:
quick and genius seem very useful too,i had a game were tywin lannister (quick and trained fighter) killed helman tallhart(skilled fighter) first,and then killed loras tyrell(tywin got wounded by loras,but won against tallhart without problems.
huge on the other hand seems to be useless :/

but just imagine a strong genius formidable fighter with a valyrian steel sword and chosen by rhollor :D

The Little Cub
Part 26 - The Curse of Harrenhal

--

Lord Rickon Stark had not come to attend the Tournament of Harrenhal, for a war raged in his homeland. The North had been torn to pieces, with everyone having to pick their sides. The winter had come for Stark's enemies, and those once in league with the Leech Lord now had to fear for their lives. The angry wolf ruled with an iron fist, and meant to pay the harms done to his family back tenfold. Though Lord Roose and his bastard son were long dead, there were still those that carried their name. Lord Benjen and his three siblings had no part in what once took place between his and Lord Rickon's family, yet he had to pay the price after the war was done. From what I'd heard, Dreadfort had been sacked and it's people put to sword. The Boltons had all been imprisoned, and not long later I was brought the news that Lord Benjen had died in Winterfell's dungeons. The circumstances around his death were not told in the letter, but I had my suspicions. I'd tried to preserve the boy from such a fate by bringing him to King's Landing as a hostage, yet the Northmen had played me and Lord Umber's pleas to release Lord Benjen from my custody were answered to.

Now the young Bolton was dead, and his younger brother Jorah ruled the castle of Cerwyn. It was only in name, though, for he was but a boy living under a regent's rule. A man by the name 'of Boltongate' held the Dreadfort, and the Bolton siblings had been sent away from each other. Lord Roose's eldest daughter, Harra, had been married to Beren Karstark, the youngest son of Arnolf Karstark, whereas her younger sister Eddara was married to Lord Brun Umber, the man who'd convinced me to send Lord Benjen back to the North. Now that they're done fighting the Boltons, they've humiliated them even more by taking their women to bed.

I was also told that some clans of the hilltribes had risen up in a revolt. Lord Rickon assured me that it was nothing, though, and easily dealt with. I trusted my Lord Paramount for I was reluctant to leave the capital. I'd been blessed with five years of peace during which I'd gotten to see my children to grow and the life had returned back to normal in the south after so many pointless wars. There would be time when I'd take my sword again and make widows to wail, yet time for vengeance wasn't yet nigh. The realm needs a few more peaceful years before I take the fight back to those that once sought to destroy me. The Iron Islands, Braavos.. and others from the time before my rule. Aurane Waters had served my mother as the master of ships, only to steal away the newly built dromonds and go rogue. He'd crowned himself a Pirate King and set up a hideout in the Stepstones, harassing the merchant ships that sailed through the Tyrosh strait. He'd kept the old names of the ships to humiliate my mother, and Sweet Cersei along with the others had brought harm to people from Essos and Westeros alike. The Lord of Waters can keep his titular titles and rule - under the sea, after I baptise him in the Ironborn way. After all, a Lannister pays his debts. And this one was long overdue.

nbxXU16.png
G8KGw6Y.png

My hopes of marrying Ryan Tully to Lady Lyssa Baelish of Harrenhal had not succeeded, and Littlefinger's heir had taken a Greyjoy into her bed instead. The war against the Ironborn had diminished the power of House Baelish, which no longer posessed the position of Lord Paramount of the Riverlands. I had not returned that title to Lady Lyssa after I'd won the war her failure had led to, and several Riverlander lords sent letters to me to the capital, petitioning they should be given that position instead. Lord Karyl Vance of Southstone was one of them. The Brackens had lost their lands after reigning for thousands of years, and the House Vance now held their ancestral seat. Needless to say, the House Blackwood rejoiced for their old enemies were finally beaten. I replied to Lord Karyl and the other powerhungry noblemen that granting the title of Lord Paramount to them was not my desire. Ryan Tully had grown up to be an exemplary soldier, yet his skills in ruling were yet to be tested. The Freys had lost the lordship of the Crossing to the Ironborn, yet the twin towers still flew over Riverrun. I had been tempted to seize the remaining lands from the Freys and return the castle to its rightful rulers, yet I was above such arbitrary actions. So I waited for an opportunity, for a castle to fall into my hands so I could bestow it to Ser Ryan Tully and finally make him my Lord of the Riverlands.

Patience was not something I lacked, and so time flew. When my hopes finally were answered, the way it happened took me aback. Lady Lyssa Baelish had died untimely, having had fallen from one of the towers in Harrenhal due to leaning on a broken railing of a balcony. Some said that she'd been murdered, and others whispered that it had been the curse of Harrenhal that took her. The place was rumoured to be haunted, and I wasn't quite sure what to believe. I'd been to the ruins of Harrenhal several times, the last time a year ago when Ser Ryan had beaten me in the jousting tournament. I surpassed my protege's skills in swordsplay, and had expected to beat him in jousting as well. The fate had proved otherwise, bringing victory to the young Tully. And now that Harrenhal had passed on to the crown, I couldn't think of a better person to hold it in my name than the young man who'd been crowned the champion there. Ruins or not, Harrenhal is seat worthy of a king, and its surrounding lands are one of the most fertile in the Riverlands. The fate of the Tullies had been uncertain, even doomed in some people's eyes, yet the trout had survived the war and the horrors during and after it. Ryan's family was once respected and then brought down, only to rise again. May the boy do the same to Harrenhal, and break its curse.

VYroFQ0.png
CpfisVV.png

I confronted Ryan about the matter, and he was as humble as ever. Riverrun had never been his home, and the young Tully had good memories from Harrenhal. So the matter was settled, yet I was not pleased yet. Anora, my eldest daughter was betrothed to Ryan, and she'd bled already. ''When you return to Harrenhal, I want you to take Anora with you'', I told him. ''It's about the time you two are married.'' I sent Ser Clifford to Greensward to inform Margaery that the time had come for our daughter to do her duty. She was fourteen, only a girl, whereas Ryan was nineteen already, a knight with experience in battle. I could only hope that Margaery had done what she could in the time I'd given her, and taught Anora what she needed to know. She would need to support Ryan, stand by him and give him children for that was her duty as a wife. My little princess is not a child anymore.

Words were sent throughout Westeros that Ser Ryan Tully was to be raised as the Lord of the Riverlands and Harrenhal, and that he'd take my daughter as his wife. The ceremony was to be held in the capital, because I knew some people to believe in Harrenhal's curse and to think it a bad sign to seal their marriage within its ruined walls. Many lords of the Riverlands arrived to the wedding to witness when Ryan draped Anora into a cloak bearing the Tully sigil. During the feast that ensued, they swore fealty to the newly-wed young man, now officially Lord Ryan Tully of the Riverlands, their new liege.

Lord Ryan's reign began with a war. Though Queen Asha had promised to retreat from the Riverlands, she had not followed conditions we'd set in the peace treaty. Instead of pulling away completely from the mainland, her countrymen remained manning Seagard and Twins. The lands were on the way to the North, and the Ironborn had not dared to leave the area due to the massive incomes they received from taxing the merchants and other folk for crossing the Green Fork. Needless to say, the people weren't happy and turned to their new liege lord. There was a truce between me and Queen Asha so I could not interfere even though I would've wanted to return the Iron Islands back to the realm. Lord Ryan wasn't bound by that, however, and declared a war of his own over the Twins. It's something the young Tully has seen before in that same place. Now, however, he is the one leading the men. This was his war, and no requests for reinforcements ever arrived to my hearing. For too long the Riverlanders have been a prize in others game. Time has come for them to strike back.

Back when Ryan was still but my squire, he'd saved Ser Godry Farring's life in the Battle of Browntoft in Holyhall. The Kingsguard had lost his other arm in the fighting, but at least he'd got to keep his life. Five years had passed since that day, and my stalwart whitecloak's extended time had now ran out. Ser Godry had been out in the city during his free time, where he was assaulted by a commoner man. The wounds the kingsguard received in the battle were lethal, and the attacker's motive remained a mystery since the man had disappeared after the deed. The Commander of the Goldcloaks, Ser Rolland Storm was assigned to investigate the matter, and he told me the man's name was Edderion and he owed four silvers in a local tavern. Other than that, the man wasn't from around here and had vanished into the thin air.

kHyWzlY.png
nTTAcmF.png

There were always seven Kingsguards, just like there were seven gods in our faith. I'd done an exception when I'd let Ser Godry take the white cloak, because he was a follower of the eastern firegod, R'hllor. The foreign religion had not gotten any more popular after Stannis's defeat, but his former followers were still allowed to practice their religion. I had forbidden burning people in the name of one's faith, but this time I made an exception. A pyre was gathered at Rhaenys's hill in the ruins of the Dragonpit. I personally lit it and watched how the flames took what was theirs. My family was there with me, and the remaining six Kingsguards guarded us should anyone try the same as with Ser Godry. The common folk was allowed to be present, and for that evening we stood as equals, watching together how the fallen hero perished in the dancing fire. I wanted the people to understand that Ser Godry's death should touch them as well, no matter of what birth one was. There are men here who fought beside him in many battles, even if they haven't carried swords for these past five years that I've given them peace.

Now that the ranks of the Kingsguard had dwindled, I needed to appoint a new man for the lifelong job. Balon Swann, Osmund Kettleback, Barristan Selmy, Archibald Yronwood, Clifford of Blackhaven and Matthew Grammatton.. who shall join their ranks? I'd tried to improve the Kingsguard, and the men I'd appointed were all talented in fighting, even if with small character flaws.. Ser Clifford, Ser Matthew and Ser Osmund were nonames, so I considered it to be the best if the new man would be from a prominent family. I first turned to the Vale for there were no Kingsguards from that region. After a few suggestions from my councillors, I decided to send a letter to Ser Cortney Waynwood, a grandson of Lady Anya Waynwood and the son of the current Lord, Morton Waynwood.

From what I was told, Ser Cortney was recently widowed. What I didn't consider that he was the firstborn son, and therefore the heir to his father's lands. Instead of accepting my offer to take the white cloak, he refused, stating that his family needs him more than I do. So I had to look elsewhere. I ended up asking the grandson of Lord Ralph Buckler of Wendwater, Guyard Buckler. He was but sixteen years old, but then again my father had been fifteen whereas Ser Loras was seventeen when joining the Kingsguard. Ser Guyard was just as good in fighting as they had been from what I'd heard. I received a positive reply, and a few days later the young man arrived to King's Landing to begin his service.

znzPhMF.png
E8XD6az.png

mplacZO.png
zkuDKfk.png

Some commoners had risen up against the Ironborn rule at the Twins, weakening their defences even before the Riverlander army arrived. Seagard had already fallen, and its gates were opened to Lord Ryan and his twenty thousand men. Overall it seemed like the war would be won, as Queen Asha had troubles at the homefront as well. House Goodbrother of Great Wyk had risen up in a revolt against King Euron after the invasion over the Reach, and Victarion Greyjoy's arrival at the back of a dragon from Meereen had put an end to that fight. Lord Greydon had lost one of his arms in the fighting, and was later pardoned - after the removal of his genitals as a reminder what happens when one raises up against the Greyjoys. Old hatred lived on, and Lord Greydon had revolted once again after the Riverland's fall from the Ironborn's grasp. I wonder what Queen Asha means to take from him this time.

The civil war at the Iron Islands was turning to the Greyjoy's victory, but the Kraken's Daughter had lost several of her kinsmen during the past months. At first Victarion Greyjoy's second son, Tristifer, was lynched by a mob supporting the Greydon rebels. Then his firstborn son and the former husband of Lady Lyssa Baelish, Dagmer Greyjoy, died in suspicious circumstances. As if those two deaths had not been enough, the dragonrider Victarion Greyjoy himself was murdered. After investigating the matter, Pyke's maester, Wendamyr, was found guilty of having poisoned Victarion's food. I was aware that the relations between Asha and her uncle had gotten worse over time, and began to wonder if she had a hand in convicincing the maester to do the deed since the man ran free despite his actions. Victarion's dragon had gone wild from its master's death, but somehow the Ironborn had managed to chain it. Should the only living son of Victarion, the twelve years old Rus Greyjoy one day tame the beast was yet to be seen. At least Lord Ryan doesn't have to fear that the beast will descend upon his army.

RtHRSVt.png

56Mndyq.png
66E3QjE.png

The sixth nameday of the twins was coming up, and I needed to make decision of who'd raise them. Alla and I not been blessed with other children, and neither of us were young any longer. I would reach the thirties soon, and my wife was four years older than myself. Still, I had an heir, a son whose parentage I had no doubts about, and a daughter to make my days merrier. I'd tried to be as good father to Anora as I could, but with her being fostered in Greensward and now in Harrenhal, it had been a hard task. I could only hope I'd learn to be a better father to my younger children. I am a soldier, and that is what I can teach my son. But do killers make good kings? I suppose I need not only teach him how to be a good swordsman, but also how to be a good man. And so young Arry's time as a ward began under my protective wing. The road would be long before he was ready, but I meant to groom him to command as best as I could. Anora would walk the road I'd set for her half-sister as well, and be educated about court life under Grand Maester Robert. She showed great aptitude in literature, history and learning, and I thought a Maester would be the best person to educate her in those matters.

I felt like something had changed in me. My children were growing up and life went on, but something seemed to be amiss. It took me a long while to realize what it was. For so many years I'd feared I'd die without an heir and send the realm to the same chaos it had been in at the beginning of my reign. But now that I had Arry, I had no need for any other children. Being in bed has always been a duty for me, more or less. Two daughters were enough to bind two regions to my cause, and only one son would get to rule the Kingdoms after I was no more. Starks have a tradition of sending their second sons to the Night's Watch to avoid any contesting about the succession. The relations between brothers are always complicated, I knew from my own experience. Let Arry make brothers out of his friends and bannermen, for I no longer crave for more children or the way they are made.

JBcJ2tN.png

Last edited:
The Little Cub
Part 27 - Prince of Dragonstone

--

When I talked to Alla about the fact that I wanted to try living in celibate, she didn't know what to say. As she wasn't of the sort who were inclined to have a bit of tumbling with other people outside the marital bed, my unwillingness meant she'd have to live in celibacy as well. I loved her, and I think she loved me back even after all the years that had gone by. It was that feeling that kept us together even though I said she no longer needed to do her main duty as the queen and my wife. My feelings for her had not faded, but only changed - and for it all to work she had to change as well.

I'd fathered four children of who three lived. The eldest, Anora, was a woman already and married to perhaps my most loyal vassal. The twins were still young, though, as I'd gotten them from another, later marriage. Arry and Brenna had turned six already, and they both had already began their training. I personally took care of Arry, thinking none else could help him to understand what it meant to be a king. After all, I had been burdened by the weight of the crown long enough to know what it meant to carry it upon my brows. He'd have to suffer the same one day, and I meant to prepare the boy as well as I could before such time would come.

The Heir of the Seven Kingdoms had traditionally been granted the isle of Dragonstone as his seat during the reign of the House Targaryen. After King Robert's ascension, the tradition had been set aside. Then appointed Lord Stannis of Dragonstone had become a king after Robert's death, but only in name. I had no other sons than Arry, but I wanted to strenghten his claim so that he or the kingdoms wouldn't have to suffer the same fate as when I'd become the king. So I named him the Prince of Dragonstone - a clear sign that it was my will that he'd take the throne after I was no more. If the people fight wars after each king's passing, there'll eventually be nothing left for the winner to rule over but shadows and dust.

HA9BNM4.png
H40CgIj.png

I was always interested in learning new tricks. When Jocelyn, the wife of Ser Ronald Bolling offered to teach me some foreign game that required a lot of thinking, I couldn't resist. She spent a good part of the afternoon explaining me the rules, and then our game began. The short amount of time I'd spent in celibacy had made more aware of the glances women sometimes gave me. It'd been years since my campaign in the Riverlands, where Jocelyn's husband had fought alongside with me. She'd accompanied her husband, and I remembered she even had made certain gestures to bring forward her interest in me. It was been years ago and I had never regretted skipping that chance. Now, however, I used the knowledge about her wild mind to my advantage, and made sure to order my manservant fill her cup always when she emptied it. Needless to say, she was too enamoured to pay mind to our game, and I won. Not only did I learn a new game, but playing with Jocelyn also taught me another important lesson. Every game has its own rules, but what happens outside of it does not.

AzCrz0u.png
zJM0jTx.png

I'd named Garlan Tyrell the Lord of the Reach and appointed him the master-at-arms. He sat in the small council and also took part in the combat training that was daily held out on the Red Keep's yard. Though all seemed to be well, it wasn't, and ironically the truth behind the Tyrell's words proved quite the opposite. Lord Mace Tyrell had been imprisoned and held in a tower cell in Traitor's Walk, and I'd allowed Lord Garlan to occasionally visit his father. He was an honorable man, unlike his father, and I had no fear that he'd try to break Lord Mace free. It was a gesture of good will from my part, and I hoped that Lord Garlan would remember that and return it to me one day. Things would never be the same between our families, I knew, not after I had slain Lord Garlan's brother, divorced his sister and now imprisoned his father. But like myself, Garlan was a father too. It was that reason why I'd named him the Lord of the Reach instead of his eldest brother, as he had sons and Willas did not. When the word about his demise reached the capital, I knew I'd made the right decision. Willas Tyrell is dead and sired no sons. Not long after his eldest son's death, Lord Mace himself met the end during night. Perhaps it was simply his time to leave this world, or perhaps the news about Willas's death had shattered him. I never got to know.

A bond that strong between a father and a son was something I could only dream of. I'd hoped Arry to be as dutiful as I was at his age, but expecting the boy to wake up early in the morning for the training didn't bring any results. Most days he overslept the morning and climbed out of his bed when it was midday already. Even then he didn't seem to care about what I had planned for him that day, and didn't exert in his studies. His laziness was an obstacle, and I tried to get him out of it by talking about being more diligent. I was as harsh as I needed to be, and though the talk didn't get him to like about his studies, it at least got him to get them done.

gk6cUnJ.png
Hh9WFAy.png

Death came knocking the doors of the White Sword Tower as well. Ser Osmund Kettleback died in his sleep at the 51. It is always saddening to see a familiar face pass to the afterlife, but truth be told, I'd never quite liked about Ser Osmund. For two decades he'd served in the Kingsguard, and during that time he'd grown fatter and fatter. His martial prowess no doubt had suffered from the change of his form, and truth be told, I had not seen him out on the yard training for over ten years give or take. Tradition required that another knight would replace the deceased Kingsguard, and I decided to give the seventh white cloak to Ser Arthur - a young man from a lesser branch of House Hewett, the rulers of the Isle of Oakenshield in Reach. He'd arrived to the capital some months ago, driven by ambition. I had grown accustomed to people like him who wanted to rise higher, but Ser Arthur was exceptional. Not only was he as skilled in swordfighting as the best of my men, but he was also very charming. There was similarity between him and Ser Balon, but whereas my Lord Commander was strong as a bull, Ser Arthur was slender and lithe. He also had a scar in his face, and it brought a certain level of authority to his looks, making it even better.

The news from the Riverlands were good. The Ironborn had lost the war, giving back the Twins and its surrounding lands to the Riverlands. Part of the peace treaty was that Seagard remained in the posession of the Kingdom of Iron Islands, and I wasn't sure what to make of that. Surely Lord Ryan could've taken it by force, as I would've come to his aid should the Ironborn have tried to take it back. The castle was the site of Queen Asha's brother's death, I was told, and holding it no doubt held significance to her. The Mallisters of Seagard are all dead. I suppose this'll have to do, if Lord Ryan deems it necessary as he attempts to make peace.

I had not seen my daughter Anora since she left with Ryan after their wedding. We wrote to each other once in a while, and I understood that she was very happy. Though she didn't say it, I understood that the feelings between her and Ryan had evolved to a whole new level. I was happy for her, as I knew what burden it can be to be bound to a person for the rest of one's life against his or her will. May the Gods be good and spare my children from the same pain Margaery caused me.

9IbP84R.png
XzTlSSN.png

HaHa3bv.png
gb1MleV.png

I shaved my beard the next morning. After that my feet led me to Grand Maester Robert's quarters. His lover, Lylos Slynt had already given birth to four bastards which no doubt were his. I had decided not to take action, as the man was excellent in his work. I knew how hard it could be at times to live without the pleasures being with a woman. Whoever made the rules about forcing Maesters and Kingsguards to live in celibacy should've tried it out himself. It was one's own decision, and I did not mind the relationships my Kingsguards had as long as it didn't affect their work. I had come to Grand Maester Robert to talk about other matters than what was under a woman's skirt, though. The man smiled at first when he saw me, but once I told my business, it faded from his lips. ''Do as I told and send the ravens'', I bid the Grand Maester again after he insisted that the matter should be taken to the Small Council first.

Next I found myself from the courtyard, where the young ones and knights trained under the guidance of Garlan Tyrell. The Lord of the Reach was a living legend, and the word was that no man could win him in a swordfight. The same was once said about Ser Robert Strong. Until he was killed - by none other than Garlan Tyrell. I knew better, though. Any man can be killed. Arry glanced at me when I arrived, and I nodded to him as a sign to carry on. I often took part in the training to keep myself in good shape, but another reason had brought me out here today. ''Lord Garlan, Ser Guyard'', I raised my voice and saw both the Lord of the Reach and the Kingsguard from House Buckler turn to me, along with the rest of the people out on the yard. ''A word.''

When both men had joined my side, I opened my mouth. ''Ser Guyard, you're hereby appointed Prince Arry's personal bodyguard. If that is what you want, of course.'' Surprisement shone from the young Kingsguard's face. ''Yes.. of course'', he muttered and I turned to look at my son. The wooden sword moved more swiftly in his hand than before. He's improving, I realised. ''But.. why?'', Ser Guyard asked. I decided not to berate the young knight about the need of acting instead of asking, and answered to him. ''I'm leaving the capital shortly, but the prince is not. I'll take several Kingsguards with me, but I want you to stay in here and personally look after my son.''

Bjc1flT.png
bQGgOfE.png

Though my eyes were at my son, I could sense that both men beside me were full of questions. ''I wanted you to hear the following from me personally, Lord Garlan'', I said. ''The news will spread soon enough, but I want you to remain in the capital and continue your work.'' The Lord of the Reach shifted a bit and asked: ''Where will you go, your Grace?'' I gripped the hilt of Widow's Wail with my left hand instinctively and spoke the next words aloud for everyone to hear. ''To war.''

Last edited:
For a second there I thought some shit was about to go down with Garlan,
I can't wait to find out who the opponent. Judging by Tommen's conversation with the Grand Maester, the Iron Throne seems to be the attacker, I think.

oh-oh!Which will be the target of the next gorious campaign? Will you transfer Arry's guardianship to the kingsguard, or is it merely a narrative flourishment?

Just wait for the next update ;) Arry remains under Tommen's guadianship, but considering he's eight years old, it wouldn't be realistic if he took the boy with him to war. That event about granting him a personal guardian just dropped at the perfect moment for me to twist the storytelling with it.

I can't wait to find out who the opponent. Judging by Tommen's conversation with the Grand Maester, the Iron Throne seems to be the attacker, I think.

The Iron Throne is the attacker indeed. I'll continue the tradition of ending the chapter after ten updates, meaning there'll be three more. There'll be some fun-fun epic stuff happening as we're nearing the end.

My guess is also Braavos, since I'm pretty sure our truce isn't up with the Iron Islands. That would be so awesome. Also, I find it hilarious that so many of the "younger" kingsguard from the books keep dying before Barristan. At this rate he's going to outlive Aemon (unless that jinxed it)!

Also, I find it hilarious that so many of the "younger" kingsguard from the books keep dying before Barristan. At this rate he's going to outlive Aemon (unless that jinxed it)!

Dun-dun-duuun!

MXcLewI.png
xQeQV8s.png

It'll be interesting to see how long he'll last. He's got the strong trait which gives him additional health, and that has kept him alive longer than most people. In matter of fact, Ser Barristan is the second oldest person in the whole world. The only older character than him is some Northerner lowborn woman who is 90. And we're 23 years into the game now.

I don't like about having to write of a new Kingsguard in every other update. But then again I've appointed young people to replace the deceased ones, and it should take quite some time for them to die.

Now that I think... why should Tommen feel concerned about telling Garlan personally about the war if the enemy is some faraway foreigner banker? That little piee doesn't fit well, and it make me worry...
Good notice. Considering Garlan is the second most powerful man currently in the capital, it'd be a natural thing for Tommen to be courteous enough to inform him personally. But then again, we've got the Ironborn still on loose and Garlan has a good reason to hate them.

My favorite AAR running at the moment, keep up the good work. Judging by the fact that this chapter is called "A Lannister Pays his Debts" its got to be Braavos right? Fuck those guys, thinking they're so clever. They're begging for an invasion....
Thanks. Tommen indeed intends to pay old debts. I've foreshadowed the upcoming updates a bit in what I've already written..

Last edited:
Speaking about the second most powerful person in the kingdom, care to refresh my memory about who is the Hand at this time?

Amory, Baron of Winwyrm was the Hand of the King after I gave a boot to Mace Tyrell. Now that I granted Dragonstone to Arry, Amory went along with it. I have not yet appointed a new Hand of the King.
SJ3SSe7.png

As you can see, Garlan can gather an army two times bigger than the second most powerful Lord Paramount. Dorne couldn't fit into the picture, but it can raise ~18k men.
5WYI24o

And then here's my own demesne and the levies. Plus, I have over 2000 cash which is enough to buy a lot of mercenaries. Not that I'll need to with close to 240k men at my disposal.
ThYlYka.png

Last edited: