1.1 Experience. What is worse than before and what bothers me still.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
TIL that buying resources from another market is "stealing".
It is when the price is sky high because the export buy orders create massive shortages at home when there should be surpluses.

The traders buy all your stuff at firesale prices leaving your people and industries to pay higher than average prices. Short of Isolationism or a full embargo there’s not anyway to stop it.

On the bright side as Russia the wood tariff pays for most of the government expenditure… labourers can freeze to death for all the Tsar cares I suppose.

Reactions:
It is when the price is sky high because the export buy orders create massive shortages at home when there should be surpluses.

The traders buy all your stuff at firesale prices leaving your people and industries to pay higher than average prices. Short of Isolationism or a full embargo there’s not anyway to stop it.

On the bright side as Russia the wood tariff pays for most of the government expenditure… labourers can freeze to death for all the Tsar cares I suppose.
I've still found that tarrifs do help significantly (as long as you have the one in the correct direction)

• 2Like
Reactions:
But assuming you just mean why can’t we keep the many good changes of vic3 but have nations only sell goods they’re not using, the answer is that there’s no good definition for which goods a nation is using in the model.
Domestic sell orders minus domestic buy orders = surplus available for export.

Wasn’t hard, was it?

• 4Like
Reactions:
Domestic sell orders minus domestic buy orders = surplus available for export.

Wasn’t hard, was it?
Buy and Sell orders are just price signals. The problem is that exports get preferential treatment in price calculations. This is a known issue and the devs are testing a possible solution.

In the meantime there is a good mod that limits your exports based on your trade law that mediates the shortages.

• 8Like
Reactions:

That just sounds like capitalism to me.

• 3Like
Reactions:
TIL that buying resources from another market is "stealing".

That just sounds like capitalism to me.

Let's say that a pawn shop would give you $100 for the computer/device you are typing this on if you took it to one. If I come into your house and take your computer/device from out of your hands while you were using it but left you $100, would it be stealing or would it be capitalism?

Reactions:
I only read the OP's post but, if we are still calling a country importing for you as "stealing", it means we have not understood anything about the game nor real life.

• 6Like
Reactions:
I only read the OP's post but, if we are still calling a country importing for you as "stealing", it means we have not understood anything about the game nor real life.
Read his post again. Importing goods from you isn't stealing. Overimporting goods from you to a point where their prices are higher in your market than in the importing one, and the trade route still makes profit despite buying high and selling low, and there's nothing you can do to stop this except issue an embargo because tariffs are ineffective, that's stealing.

• 8Like
Reactions:
Let's say that a pawn shop would give you $100 for the computer/device you are typing this on if you took it to one. If I come into your house and take your computer/device from out of your hands while you were using it but left you $100, would it be stealing or would it be capitalism?
You're saying that like the trade centers are forced at gun point to sell to the French. They do it because it's more profitable than selling domestically.

Also, I'm pretty sure something like your example happens in capitalism. A lot. Especially with labor.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Buying high and selling low not only does not makes sense for the importers but also the merchants in your own country, why sell to france at highly reduced prices when your own country buys it for twice that?

Reactions:
Read his post again. Importing goods from you isn't stealing. Overimporting goods from you to a point where their prices are higher in your market than in the importing one, and the trade route still makes profit despite buying high and selling low, and there's nothing you can do to stop this except issue an embargo because tariffs are ineffective, that's stealing.
Yes, it is still not stealing. And tariffs are not to completely halt imports. Become isolationist if you don't want others to import.

Reactions:
You're saying that like the trade centers are forced at gun point to sell to the French. They do it because it's more profitable than selling domestically.
So same example, but now I know a guy who will buy it for $150 so I make a $50 profit taking it from you without your permission. Just capitalism right?

In game, I consider it my wood. I built the logging camps with my trowel mana, I sunk capital into making it not france, and I want to use it to drive down the cost of wood in my country so I can afford more trowel mana and build more factories and cash crops and logging camps.

In this case wood is my capital and even under capitalism (especially under capitalism) you can't take people's capital without their permission or the whole system doesn't work, as we are seeing in the game.

Reactions:
So same example, but now I know a guy who will buy it for $150 so I make a $50 profit taking it from you without your permission. Just capitalism right?

In game, I consider it my wood. I built the logging camps with my trowel mana, and I want to use it to drive down the cost of wood in my country so I can afford more trowel mana and build more factories and cash crops and logging camps.

In this case wood is my capital and even under capitalism (especially under capitalism) you can't take people's capital without their permission or the whole system doesn't work, as we are seeing in the game.
In this game you are playing as the country, not the individual business owners. The game makes the individual business owners are selling wood because they get a good price for it.

There is something funny going on with the price mechanics, but that doesn't make a business selling goods to an international buyer stealing.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Exactly this. I dont know in what world people criticising game design think they live. Be mad at the system, not at the game.
The game doesn't implement capitalism correctly. If you buy from an expensive market in the real world and sell to a cheap market you will make a loss.
This is not true in all cases in the current Iteration of the game, because exports are always calculated before domestic production. It's not critique of capitalism. It's critique of faulty game design.

• 22Like
Reactions:
In this game you are playing as the country, not the individual business owners. The game makes the individual business owners are selling wood because they get a good price for it.

There is something funny going on with the price mechanics, but that doesn't make a business selling goods to an international buyer stealing.

I'd buy that more if the business owners ever got off their a$$ and built anything, then I'd agree that they should get a say in who purchases it.

This game wants a command economy sometimes and a laissez-faire free market other times, and it doesn't always fit together well, especially here.

Reactions:
If the wood at France's market is so cheap, buy few hundreds of it for you to use.

Reactions: