[MOD] When the World Stopped Making Sense - A Migrational Era Mod for CK3 - 476-700 AD

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have, and am not happy with the idea. That is a whole lot more culture map to paint.

And? It should be harder than it is now. It would still be a lot easier than in CKII, where it was mostly random chance.

Besides, for many, map painting has rather negative connotations.

Dev Diary
Dev Diary 00: Ultimus Romanus
Hello all, I am LT-Rascek, one of the contributors of the mod. I've been particularly focused on innovations, history, and religion modding. I thought I'd update people on mod progress; I'll note that things are still in development, so some or all aspects I list here are liable to change by release.

Without further ado, we'll naturally start by looking at the collapsing remnants of the Roman Empire:

screenshot_00_Mediterranean.jpg

In particular, the CK3 map mad it quite possible to improve large parts of the map, most notably the Romano-Berber states in North Africa. Looking at the WRE, we can see that most of the history and titles could be fairly accurately mapped to the new CK3 map. With the increased county density, we can represent the map in far greater detail than in WtWSMS, opening up future possibilities for additional tribes or holdings or just a better refinement of what's already present, like inside the WRE:

screenshot_01_WRE_subdivisions.jpg

Eagle-eyed readers can look and see the government of the Praetorian Prefecture of Italia is not subroman like in WtWSMS, but a new form: gubernatorial; this replaces the subroman government found inside the remnants of the Roman Empire with something more thematically appropriate and will give us some additional tools to better model the Roman government in Late Antiquity.

screenshot_02_government.jpg

As I noted before, I focused on innovations, history, and religion modding, particularly of Christian faiths. One of the first things I did was add a category of doctrines to the Christian faiths called "Religion Doctrines" representing various beliefs that are specific to Christian faiths: Christology (nature of Christ), Divine Ontology (nature of the Godhead), Pneumatology (nature of the Holy Spirit), Eucharistic Theology, Soteriology, and Judaic Role. I am hoping to combine these with religious council events to provide more dynamic behavior, such as adding (or removing!) doctrines (like ecumenism) and even changing tenets from Christian religions in a dynamic way. Currently, only some of these doctrines have any impact on game play: Antinomianism (Soteriology), Judaizers (Judaic Role), and Demiurge (Judaic Role). With more development, I hope to more fully flesh out these Christian-specific religion doctrines.

screenshot_03_nicene.jpg

There's also a number of new tenets and doctrines for Christian Faiths, but I'll just highlight a few of my favorites:

Rigorism - Representing the rigorism of the Dontatist heresy, it combines features of Legalism and Communion and greatly strengthens inter-faith relations at the cost of decreasing relations with other faiths.

screenshot_04_rigorism.jpg

Judaizers - Replaces Jewish Syncretism Tenet for Christians. Represents the various strains of Christianity that insisted on full adherence to Mosaic Law. Only used by the Ebionites in 476, but you might want to adopt it for your own Christian faith. Of course, not all Christian faiths really like Judaizing tendencies. One of these are the Marcionists, who instead view Jews as worshipers of the Demiurge. As such, they view Judaizers in a negative light.

screenshot_05_judaizers.jpg

screenshot_06_demiurge.jpg

Of course, I haven't only done work on Christianity; I've also reviewed and implemented features for other faiths, like Hellenism, which use a rather unique form of syncretism. It makes pagan faiths astray and gives a popular opinion bonus, but also magnifies issues with other faiths, especially non-pagan faiths. For some reason, the Jews really don't like Hellenistic attempts to map their faith to the Hellenic pantheon. Who knew?

screenshot_07_hellenism.jpg

They say brevity is the soul of wit, and here I've gone and written several paragraphs.

• 19Love
  • 16Like
Reactions:

In the description of Rigorism you spell Traitor wrong. You spell it Traditors. Looks like your mind combined the word "Trader" and "Traitor" together. Is this a Freudian slip? Are we going to also going to get a strong trade system in the mod? Probably not, but it is fun to lovingly poke fun at a minor mistake.

Otherwise a great dev diary!

• 1Haha
Reactions:
In the description of Rigorism you spell Traitor wrong. You spell it Traditors. Looks like your mind combined the word "Trader" and "Traitor" together. Is this a Freudian slip? Are we going to also going to get a strong trade system in the mod? Probably not, but it is fun to lovingly poke fun at a minor mistake.
It is intentional, not a typo, because it refers to the Donatist accusations towards traditores, which in English plural becomes traditors: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditors So no trading in sight, but indeed detailed features and mechanics for Christian heresies. ;)

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I am hoping to combine these with religious council events to provide more dynamic behavior, such as adding (or removing!) doctrines (like ecumenism) and even changing tenets from Christian religions in a dynamic way.
This looks promising... CK3 religion feels rigid tbh, the tenants and doctrines would rarely affect one's playing experience.. aside from the occasional seduction/cheating and the mystic events..

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ah, this "dev-diary" kind of leaves me so much more hyped than the official ones.
Thank you! Great to finally "see" what you have been working on. I must say it does really look fantastic.
I am especially delighted by the detail invested into sculpting the religions present at this fascinating period.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Looking good, though I would honestly rename gubernatorial to something else, it feels like an americanism rather that something the romans would have used.

Reactions:
Is that a nomad government in the third screenshot?
Yes.
Looking good, though I would honestly rename gubernatorial to something else, it feels like an americanism rather that something the romans would have used.
Bureaucratic or Sub-Roman isn't what the romans would have used either, but we are open to suggestions.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yes.

Bureaucratic or Sub-Roman isn't what the romans would have used either, but we are open to suggestions.
Personally in the CK2 version I always edited the files so Bureaucratic was called Roman Imperial but if you wished to do that you probably would have started with it.

As for Gubernatorial I would have personally called it Proconsular government stemming from the original republican roots and a nod towards what the old governors were once called or Provincial Government to contrast with the imperial central government. Either way it’s up to you, I’m just pointing out something that stuck out to me.

Dev Diary 00: Ultimus Romanus
Hello all, I am LT-Rascek, one of the contributors of the mod. I've been particularly focused on innovations, history, and religion modding. I thought I'd update people on mod progress; I'll note that things are still in development, so some or all aspects I list here are liable to change by release.

Without further ado, we'll naturally start by looking at the collapsing remnants of the Roman Empire:

View attachment 725460

In particular, the CK3 map mad it quite possible to improve large parts of the map, most notably the Romano-Berber states in North Africa. Looking at the WRE, we can see that most of the history and titles could be fairly accurately mapped to the new CK3 map. With the increased county density, we can represent the map in far greater detail than in WtWSMS, opening up future possibilities for additional tribes or holdings or just a better refinement of what's already present, like inside the WRE:

View attachment 725462

Eagle-eyed readers can look and see the government of the Praetorian Prefecture of Italia is not subroman like in WtWSMS, but a new form: gubernatorial; this replaces the subroman government found inside the remnants of the Roman Empire with something more thematically appropriate and will give us some additional tools to better model the Roman government in Late Antiquity.

View attachment 725464

As I noted before, I focused on innovations, history, and religion modding, particularly of Christian faiths. One of the first things I did was add a category of doctrines to the Christian faiths called "Religion Doctrines" representing various beliefs that are specific to Christian faiths: Christology (nature of Christ), Divine Ontology (nature of the Godhead), Pneumatology (nature of the Holy Spirit), Eucharistic Theology, Soteriology, and Judaic Role. I am hoping to combine these with religious council events to provide more dynamic behavior, such as adding (or removing!) doctrines (like ecumenism) and even changing tenets from Christian religions in a dynamic way. Currently, only some of these doctrines have any impact on game play: Antinomianism (Soteriology), Judaizers (Judaic Role), and Demiurge (Judaic Role). With more development, I hope to more fully flesh out these Christian-specific religion doctrines.

View attachment 725465

There's also a number of new tenets and doctrines for Christian Faiths, but I'll just highlight a few of my favorites:

Rigorism - Representing the rigorism of the Dontatist heresy, it combines features of Legalism and Communion and greatly strengthens inter-faith relations at the cost of decreasing relations with other faiths.

View attachment 725467

Judaizers - Replaces Jewish Syncretism Tenet for Christians. Represents the various strains of Christianity that insisted on full adherence to Mosaic Law. Only used by the Ebionites in 476, but you might want to adopt it for your own Christian faith. Of course, not all Christian faiths really like Judaizing tendencies. One of these are the Marcionists, who instead view Jews as worshipers of the Demiurge. As such, they view Judaizers in a negative light.

View attachment 725468

View attachment 725469

Of course, I haven't only done work on Christianity; I've also reviewed and implemented features for other faiths, like Hellenism, which use a rather unique form of syncretism. It makes pagan faiths astray and gives a popular opinion bonus, but also magnifies issues with other faiths, especially non-pagan faiths. For some reason, the Jews really don't like Hellenistic attempts to map their faith to the Hellenic pantheon. Who knew?

View attachment 725470

They say brevity is the soul of wit, and here I've gone and written several paragraphs.
Although this is still work in progress, I do hope the next update "Royal Court" and its culture mechanics actually work correctly for this mod's various cultures to actually make sense and be more immersive as well as more holding and court graphics for the roman and greek culures.

Reactions:
will the nomadic government largely be a remodelling of the CK2 government?
At the moment it works like the tribal government.

Reactions: