• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

No idea

Field Marshal
53 Badges
Jan 11, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
I swear I have looked about them in the Manual and Strategy guide and there is not a word about what they mean. In fact, the only reference to them I have found is in the strategy guide, telling us about using counters, because of the important information counters provide. :confused:

OK, but what´s that information?

PS. I think is something about number of men and of brigades per division, but could anybody tell me?

Thank you

I think those are rounded to the nearest integer rather than truncated (someone with more knowledge might clear this up).

Thus, a true value of 2.7 would display as "3" and a true value of 4.2 would display as "4" as far as I know.

They say relative because those numbers should not actually be used for hard calculation.

0 is the "worst" and 9 is the "best", but trying to calculate things like "does 2 6's beat an 8?" isn't capable with "relative" values, so don't bother ;p

The relative offensive and defensive values... is this expressed as a fraction maybe? I have a lot of 3-5 divisions. Does this mean that they are 3/5ths as capable on the offence VS defence? Would a 5-3 division mean the inverse of that: it being 3/5ths as capable on defence VS offence?

Sorry for dragging this out, but for some reason I don't exactly get it. :eek:o

They are not fractions. They are just relative numbers.

3 - 5 just means that it rates a 3 for attack, and a 5 for defense. not 3/5 as good on the defense as attack.

Again, just use those numbers as a guide. If you see a long border guarded by 6-6 units, and 1 province has a 2-4 in it instead, then make your push at the 2-4's spot. That's about as far as the usefulness of those numbers go.

The relative offensive and defensive values... is this expressed as a fraction maybe? I have a lot of 3-5 divisions. Does this mean that they are 3/5ths as capable on the offence VS defence? Would a 5-3 division mean the inverse of that: it being 3/5ths as capable on defence VS offence?

Sorry for dragging this out, but for some reason I don't exactly get it. :eek:o

It's not clear what the numbers are relative to. One would hope that it'd be something universal like "An infantry Division of three brigades with all its technology and doctrines at the current tech.."

"Relative" must mean relative to all units in general. I'm sure that those numbers are just meant to give a player a "quick and dirty" feel for the general strength of the units he is dealing with (his own and the enemy's).

CB

They are all I use for determining how to attack and defend, and they have never let me down. They also change when you upgrade your units, which makes me feel good about myself.

B

Doesn't the wiki site have an explanation about what the numbers represent and how they are used and modified?

My guess is that this goes back to the board games type of reasoning.

A 4 attack is better than a....2. That is all that means. A 4 defense is better than a 2 defense.

It gives me an idea of which units to use for attack, and which for defense.

Not much more.

But, in the old board games, like Stalingrad by AH, the units were...not even Divisions....but some arbitrary grouping.

But it worked. And I think it works here.