• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I am not sure I understood things correctly but me as feudal conquering tribal lands I could upgrade the tribal holding into a castle/city/temple just fine. Or it is just when you a tribal and become feudal that the bug appears?

Still rather bad bug for those it affects so hopefully fixed anyway next patch.

After you or anyone become feudal, you can no longer upgrade tribal land. If you (or your vassals) aquire new tribal land, the only way for it to be upgraded is if you make a new tribal vassal.

Reactions:
After you or anyone become feudal, you can no longer upgrade tribal land. If you (or your vassals) aquire new tribal land, the only way for it to be upgraded is if you make a new tribal vassal.
Ah I see so only if you start tribal. Didn't play any this patch yet so explains why I didn't see it.

Reactions:
It's amazing (but not really) how new, significant changes to gameplay mechanics like this seem to flat-out break the game with regularity. The game is unplayable now as any feudal character who will come into contact with nomads, which is a huge swathe of the map.

Reactions:
Last edited:
Reactions:
It looks like this won't be fixed until the next DLC-accompanying patch. Understandable, but frustrating. Not a whole lot of reasons to play until then.

Just use the mod i posted above.

For ironman give it to a vassal and upgrade the hillfort to level 4 then to encourage the "convert to feudalism" decision.
If you wnat the county for yourself again, give him an unrelated duchy title, then plot to revoke it. The vassal might deny and after winning you strip him of the county title.
Not that big a deal.

This is a pretty annoying bug, I just had it now too and came onto the forums to check.

I just flipped to a Saxony MR, my solution which doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet was to simply build a another city in the county and then hand off the tribal holding to an auto generate vassal.

You don't get the extra auto built holdings but IMO it's better than having to wait for an excuse to revoke the county from a vassal or disabling achievements.

It looks like this won't be fixed until the next DLC-accompanying patch. Understandable, but frustrating. Not a whole lot of reasons to play until then.

Not understandable or acceptable actually.

Bugs happen, that's understandable.

Some bugs go undetected by testers due to obscurity and/or time limitations, that's understandable.

Stuff like this happening shows poor testing methods just like the patch that broke pagans being able to reform their religion. This isn't some out of the way, hard to trigger bug, this is easily encountered in normal gameplay and should have been found in testing and corrected pre-release. Leaving it be for months until the next DLC release is just plain unacceptable.

Reactions:
Just use the mod i posted above.

For ironman give it to a vassal and upgrade the hillfort to level 4 then to encourage the "convert to feudalism" decision.
If you wnat the county for yourself again, give him an unrelated duchy title, then plot to revoke it. The vassal might deny and after winning you strip him of the county title.
Not that big a deal.

It is a big deal. Ironman is broken for most of the map. The vassal workaround is inefficient and aggravating. Building another castle yourself is massively inefficient as it robs you of the several free holdings you should receive. Paradox introduced a new mechanic that is great in theory, but broken on arrival.

Not understandable or acceptable actually.

I agree, it's unacceptable. It's totally unacceptable to implement a major new mechanic so poorly and to not address it until the next regular patch rolls around. But by understandable, I mean that I am resigned to that being the manor in which Paradox usually operates. I understand the slowness, though I don't agree with it.

Reactions:
It's rediculous that almost 2 months after Reapers Due half the game is still essentially unplayable. Paradox is bad as all the early release developers on Steam who abandon their game in a buggy mess after getting a bunch of $$$.

Reactions:
It is a big deal. Ironman is broken for most of the map. The vassal workaround is inefficient and aggravating. Building another castle yourself is massively inefficient as it robs you of the several free holdings you should receive. Paradox introduced a new mechanic that is great in theory, but broken on arrival.

I agree, it's unacceptable. It's totally unacceptable to implement a major new mechanic so poorly and to not address it until the next regular patch rolls around. But by understandable, I mean that I am resigned to that being the manor in which Paradox usually operates. I understand the slowness, though I don't agree with it.
I agree, although I also feel lucky to have a game that's still updated and supported at all so long after release.

MOD TO FIX !

Tiny mod to fix this in the mean time for anyone not on ironman:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?attachments/settlement_decisionmod-zip.215655/

Edited as vukica suggested earlier ( NOT = { has_settlement_construction = yes } ) for all three decision variants.

I was lazy and it's still called "AA_Vanillamodifkationen", just like my own little (far too small) tweak and bugfix mod.
Important correction:
It should be:
Code:
 NOT = { has_settlement_construction = yes }

rather than:
Code:
( NOT = { has_settlement_construction = yes } )

It's rediculous that almost 2 months after Reapers Due half the game is still essentially unplayable. Paradox is bad as all the early release developers on Steam who abandon their game in a buggy mess after getting a bunch of $$$.
Naw, the early access cap is 10x worse. They may be slow, but they will fix it, whereas games like ARK sell paid expansions before the base game is out of alpha.

Naw, the early access cap is 10x worse. They may be slow, but they will fix it, whereas games like ARK sell paid expansions before the base game is out of alpha.

The standards for a publisher such as Paradox should be a lot higher than someone releasing their first real game.

Besides the real issue is people still can't play after two months. That's not acceptable. I can't play a DLC that was released 3 years ago...

Reactions:
The standards for a publisher such as Paradox should be a lot higher than someone releasing their first real game.
Meh. In the biz for 3yrs or 30, I don't care. But that's me.

Besides the real issue is people still can't play after two months. That's not acceptable. I can't play a DLC that was released 3 years ago...
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the bug. I've been playing tribal and haven't had any run-in with it yet, but I have only played with custom rulers, so Ironman isn't an option for me anyway.

Edit: not intending to diminish anyone's hard feelings. It would torque me too if it was interfering with my gameplay. I was mostly just saying it could be worse.

Last edited:

What are you talking about? I'm not aware of any new mechanics here. Just a bug.

Not the point really. The point is it worked as expected before the last patch and now it doesn't work properly. For a large section of the map (especially in the earlier start dates) it's a big problem and waiting another 3-4 months for the next DLC patch (which itself is likely to cause big problems) isn't an acceptable response. Especially when modders have pointed out a fix for the problem.

Also, suggestions on how to work around it when playing ironman are still attempting to work around the problem instead of doing the right thing which is fixing it ASAP in a hot-fix / intermediate patch.

It's pretty sad that after a couple years or so of quality work Paradox is reverting to their old "broken release / fix it eventually" model.

Reactions: