• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mouchi

Second Lieutenant
40 Badges
Nov 5, 2011
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
Province identifier

Presentation
Identifying of provinces is useful for modding. We can do it with Provinces number reference map for example.
However with patches and mods, the maps change.
Besides in the game the province names depend of the culture.
That's why Arko ask me to make a tool to know the name of the province that he has selected with his mouse.
I have already shared it on my French blog in Réseau Gamers & Stratégie, then their members advised me to publish it here because some people can be interested.

version_septembre_2015_en-4cde028.png

Features
  • Click on a province give its name, the name of its baronies and their final type (tribal, castle, city or temple)
  • Navigate on the map with the directional arrows or the mini-map.
  • Zoom in/out to have a better precision in clicking
  • Search a province with its ID, its name or a name of its barony thanks to a matching list
  • Configure the tool with working sessions which save several configurations
  • Personalize the tool by choosing the colours, the displaying of the map, ...
Requirements
  • Java (it is probably already installed on your computer)
  • Of course the map files of your game/mods
Download
Latest version

Installation
  • Download the archive
  • Put in a same directory the program (Province_identifier.jar), the script (Script_province_identifier.bat) and the ressources directory
Usage
  • Double click on Script_province_identifier.bat
    or else directly on Province_identifier.jar
  • If you have double clicked on Script_province_identifier.bat, do not close the console (else it kills the application). It will ask to type something to close it after closing the application.
  • At the first usage, the application ask you the language (English or French).
  • Start by create a working session (menu game/mod)
  • Use the "..." buttons to use the file explorer to select the game and/or mod directories
  • When the working session is loaded, you can navigate on the map by using directional arrows
  • You can zoom in (+) and zoom out (-)
  • Click on a province to see its name and ID (and baronies in a CK working session)
  • You can copy in the copy-board the text of the province with the copy button next to it
  • You can personalize the software in the preferences menu
Notes
  • The window is not resizeable because of my zooming algorithm. But the size of the window is maximised for your screen according this.
  • If you have an error like "java is an unknown command", it is because java is not in your path. There is several tutorials on the internet to solve it : search on google something like "windows put java path"
  • The software is compatible with other Clausewitz Paradox Games (but with less features). I have tested it with Victoria 2 and Hearts of Iron 3.
  • This tool is not designed to directly change the game files. To do this, it is better to use the CK2 Scenario Editor.
    Besides I thanks MichaelM who give me the agreement to use his code to "flash a province", also used in CK2 Scenario Editor.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Awesome tool :)

Is this offering anything in addition to what is already visible in the normal game?

Charleroi / c_charleroy / Province 442

jGl2POs.jpg
yes, you don't have to launch the game and get a copy-paste feature to fetch the province ID to use in an event f.e.

You also have the full list of baronies, built or not.

For sea and river provinces, you can display them with an option in the preferences menu.
But like for the wasteland provinces, there is no additional mean to differentiate them from other, except they have no baronies.

To list river provinces (not only provinces with major rivers like we can have with a condition), Arko added to the province map the river map.
He can certainly tell you more about that if you are interesting.

Greetings,
I really hate to revive this old thread, but I was just recently pointed to this tool here, which will be invaluable for my modding.
However, I have a problem with the latest version: I can open the vanilla map, but I can't open mod maps.
When I select a mod directory and click okay, the toll does nothing, but the cmd.exe throws exceptions at me which I don't know what they mean:
error_in_tool.jpg
I am using the tool on a Windows 10 PC with the latest version of Java (Java 9 I think), and otherwise a normal game installation (the base game works fine as I said, it just won't load mods).
If anyone knows what the problem could be, I'd be grateful. And thanks for this brilliant tool in any case :)

The structure of the derfault.map has changed since this tool was released. You'd have to wait for an update (or use an old-style default.map)
Ah.
But why would that affect only mods? Because as I said, I can load the base game map as expected.

Thinking about it, my setup might not be entirely default, as I have CK2 installed to the \D drive, while my Documents folder with the mods is on the \C drive. I'm not sure if this would be problematic, just saying.

The parsing of the default.map file still works.
In fact it is the parsing of the CK2+ definition.csv file which fail because of the commented semicolon.
I will fix it.

Wow, nice!
Now I can continue working without using Alt-Tab :D
Merci Beaucoup!

Hi @Mouchi,
just wanted to let you know that the link seems to be dead.
Luckily, I still found the latest version on one of my old hard drives; but this tool is so super helpful, you should consider uploading it again so other people can also use it :)

(alternatively, if you no longer have it, I could attach my local version here - but I do not want to give any wrong impressions)

Hi @Mouchi,
just wanted to let you know that the link seems to be dead.
Luckily, I still found the latest version on one of my old hard drives; but this tool is so super helpful, you should consider uploading it again so other people can also use it :)

(alternatively, if you no longer have it, I could attach my local version here - but I do not want to give any wrong impressions)
Thank you for reported this.
In fact I have changed the uploaded content to manage the savanna terrain but I have forgotten to update the download link.

Last edited: