Things We Would Buy After Launch (New Scenarios, Voice Packs, etc.)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MagnusEffect

Second Lieutenant
45 Badges
Apr 4, 2018
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Age of Wonders III
  • BATTLETECH
  • BATTLETECH - Initiate of the Order
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 -  Back to Hell
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH - Beta Backer
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 - Second Wave
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II
For "FREE" content patches & updates you want to see, @GenTask has a good discussion thread about it here.

First off, I realize the game is not even out yet. I realize some of you may find it hard to think about expansions and whatnot for a game you haven't even played yet. That's fine and I totally understand. That being said, I'm just a HUGE Battletech fan and this is like finally coming home after being stuck on a deserted island for 15 years. I'm also a very proactive kind of guy so I like thinking three steps ahead... so bear with me. Now on to the discussion...

I'm curious to see what good ideas we can come up with that people would be willing to pay for. Let's start by quickly acknowledging mech packs (a very obvious choice), but one that we shouldn't dwell on too much. The reason I say this is because mech packs alone will not be something unique that HBS can bring to the table. There is little doubt that many mechs will find their way into the game with mods (seriously, a big thank you to HBS for making this game mod-friendly). That is great for all of us, but it doesn't make mech packs a great choice for HBS to pour significant resources into and hope to earn anything significant for their efforts (kudos to them if they do it anyway, though). I would also like to exclude things that we feel might be made available to everyone as a free update (fingers crossed on campaign coop ;)). I want to talk about content that most modders have neither the time nor resources to do. I want to talk about content that HBS could focus on to continue supporting the game. I want to talk about content you and I would "throw money at".

There are two things for me that immediately come to mind:
  • Scenario Packs (aka new campaigns)
  • Voice Packs

Regarding Scenario Packs...
Lets put this in perspective. Here's a basic map of the Inner Sphere in 3025:
Innersphere.gif

As you can see, the current campaign takes place down in a "southern" little spot that is dwarfed by the "rest of it". To be honest, I think it was a brilliant move to choose a new area that no previous installment of the franchise has explored. That being said, there is still A TON of ground that can be covered out there. Here's just a small sample of interesting events that happen between the years 3025 and 3049 (or before the Clan Invasion):
I think you get the idea. These Scenario Packs could potentially integrate with the current map we have right now. Theoretically, the campaign map we have right now could double, triple, quadruple (and more) in size. New official battle maps, planet biomes, and mechs could be added with each Scenario Pack as an additional bonus. The amount of content possible from creating new scenarios alone is almost limitless. Best of all, each person could be free to pay for the Scenarios they want without dividing the community behind paywalls (similar to how Stellaris handles its expansions). I think if it was done in a compelling way, there would be a lot of demand for it.

Regarding Voice Packs.
Obviously, this one is a bit more straightforward. I admit this may be less of a demand for some people, but I still think it holds enough merit to be considered. The really important thing is that this would be something that HBS could offer for a reasonable price without fear of their sales being undermined by mods. Not to say a modder couldn't do it, but let's face it... most voice acting in mods is just terrible. :p

In summary...
So there it is. What do you guys think? Is there something else you would be willing to pay for that is unlikely to get a lot of attention from modders?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would pay to see Infantry and Hover Vehicles added to BATTLETECH.

Last edited:
Infantry, Urban biome, CQB-style story / missions

I would pay to see Infantry and Hover Vehicles added to BATTLETECH.
I'm definitely a fan of combined arms, but is that something you think they could make that people would pay for? How would that work without dividing the community behind a pay wall? If playing PvP does that mean one player who bought them could face off against someone who did not? What do you think?

How has no one posted about the other mech type that people want. By which I mean QUADS.

also retrotech.
and OS inferno launchers strapped to the outside of my mech like plastic explosives.

I'm definitely a fan of combined arms, but is that something you think they could make that people would pay for? How would that work without dividing the community behind a pay wall? If playing PvP does that mean one player who bought them could face off against someone who did not? What do you think?
"Things I would buy after Launch?"

I would buy Infantry and Hover Vehicles.

"Pay Walls?"

Mechs are the only things in PvP. Just like Tanks and Turrets now, neither Infantry nor Hover Vehicles would have a place in PvP. That would be something else entirely and I am not suggesting here.

But I could see Infantry and Hover Vehicles being rolled up under a Fourth Succession War Kickstarter Stage or some other larger endeavor. : )

"Things I would buy after Launch?"

I would buy Infantry and Hover Vehicles.

"Pay Walls?"

Mechs are the only things in PvP. Just like Tanks and Turrets now, neither Infantry nor Hover Vehicles would have a place in PvP. That would be something else entirely and I am not suggesting here.

But I could see Infantry and Hover Vehicles being rolled up under a Fourth Succession War Kickstarter Stage or some other larger endeavor. : )
I think I understand what you mean. As long as all the content played nicely together regardless of what expansion packs a player owned, I'd be all for it. I always preferred combined arms in my Battletech. Makes those machine guns actually useful.

I think HBS's biggest strength is storytelling, so scenario packs / additional story campaigns would be a natural DLC idea, and one that I would absolutely pay for. These campaign DLCs could add new game mechanics or Mechs / vehicles / infantry - but if they didn't, I'd still buy them.

I need more massive battles, give me a company under command! Massive scenario packs is realy great. Huge numbers of vicious enemyes, form everywhere, storming my company is a true challenge for mechcommander! Add a advance moral system, that's a very attractive thing for many people. That's what i need and ready to pay for. A lot of new mechs and colorful camouflage for them can be made by modders and i realy never buy such things anyway. Developers should do something magical, colosal, extraordinal, at least exciting, not just sell few nice models and music from the game. Firaxis give us usless shit and try to get money for it, not working with me, only "war of the chosen" is worth to pay money, Hope more people think so, and we would not get endless, tiny DLC to get more money

I´d definetly get a couple homage expansions that cover both Mechcommander games: the Port Arthur and the Carver V campaigns. That´d be a nice homage if the game is successful and reaches the respective dates in the lore.

Plus hey, who doen´s want to get Timber Wolves? :p

but I wouldn't pay for mechpacks.
May I ask why, just out of interest?
If HBS turned round and said they had just sorted out the next 10 era-correct chassis, a number of vehicles and sorted out how to get hover and VTOL working; would you pass on it then?

Map Pack(s) - New battlemaps that interface with the random mission generator to give us greater variety in those missions.

Extended Campaign Missions - A mission generator that generates a series of missions that all need to be completed in order to win the campaign. Give a nice bonus reward at the end like a 'salvage' pick from a good store.

Full Map - The entire inner sphere is your play ground. You can travel everywhere and take missions anywhere.

Scripted Full Scenario Mission(s) - A new series of missions scripted out, perhaps with extra art and voiced dialog (I'll be more than happy even if they do 'not' have extra art and voice). Such as https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...eas-for-additional-campaign-missions.1087098/