• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Royal Assembly

It was Peters first time voting in the royal assembly since he was arrested and it looked like he had no friends left.
People glanced at him carefully wondering what he was going to do. Peter of course would do nothing unlawful, he was a member of the clergy and thus would behave in a manner of respect.

Time to vote then, the first was the situation in helping the Pope Benidictus in his war against Savoy. While many did say that the realm was overextended as it is. As long as we didn't take any land, no one would react and actually see England in a good light. So Peter vote for Intervention.

The second was on religious tolerance. This was most likely because of the Lollard revolt in Ireland. Which had started because of a few radical Christians, the very same thing could happen in Yorkshire and the entire kingdom was a ticking time bomb, that could erupt at any moment. We would have to leave them alone to maintain stability. Also Walpole suggested the harsher measure. Meaning that Peter vote for Religious tolerance.

The next one was on colonial growth, and that people who break laws are banished to the colonies. Making them into effects penal colonies, this was an insane idea. The colonies would need to maintain garrisons to maintain control and order, and the colonies couldn't support the garrison. While it would help in speeding up the growth, it would scare away other potential colonists as the colony would be full of criminals. So Peter voted NO

The final vote was on the next mission that the country would take. Peter voted for Force union on France, France had been our greatest enemy and we could finally reclaim the crowns rightful throne, before people said the claim was no longer effective and take out our greatest enemy.

As soon as Peter had finished voting, he left no longer wanting to be affiliated with that nest of spiders. But he had to write a letter to the queen informing her of the popes decision.

I have written this letter to inform you of the Popes decision.
He has allowed me to be a missionary and I will move at all haste to convert the natives of Africa to Christianity.
I have also attached the popes reply to this, just in case you need proof.
If you want me to convert another province, please send a reply.
From Peter Andrews

Votes
The siege of Rome: Intervene in the war immediately
Religious acts: Religious tolerance
Colonial growth act: No
Mission: Force union on France

((The next Owls meeting will be tommorow at 17:00 GMT, where we shall discuss the Agenda of the faction and where we shall write the Manifesto. If you cannot attend the meeting you should PM me before 16:00 GMT, or get in #TSNS_Owls and mention it.))

Reactions:
((To all players, I am going to take a break from the iAAR, I have got mocks on currently, so it is hard for me to find time to actively participate. Furthermore it is getting tedious and annoying to have del bring up this fact (the fact I am referring to, in case it isn't clear, is my inactivity). I am sorry that I can't IC like some of the great people in this group, but tough biscuits- I find it hard to get inspired for what my ICs should be about and it is hard to do them when your character is at a age where it is awkward to try go out in the world, especially given the fact they are a noble. I hope that you as a group collective can understand my reasoning, I shall return post mocks, and once I feel that I can trust a level of sincerity and understanding comes from our lead member. May you all play well, and I look forward to seeing how politics and otherwise the iAAR develops- @Istarsamu message me whenever you feel as though William and Andrew could meet, and I am still up for that IC however. All the best guys, and see you in at least a week (or till Istar is ready :p) ))

Reactions:
I have written this letter to inform you of the Popes decision.
He has allowed me to be a missionary and I will move at all haste to convert the natives of Africa to Christianity.
I have also attached the popes reply to this, just in case you need proof.
If you want me to convert another province, please send a reply.
From Peter Andrews
((To Peter Andrews))
It warms my heart that you decided to head to West Africa to convert the heathens to the true faith. The Holy Father's decision to appoint you as a missionary of England is of course respected and appreciated. I am looking forward to reading about your many successes.

I wish you a safe journey and may God bless you and your family.

~ Elizabeth Talbot, Queen of England, Queen of France, Queen of Scotland, Queen of Norway, Archduchess of Austria, Duchess of Aquitaine

Mary… Mary was sitting in her room. She was thinking about the letter she got from John.

Now Mary was John’s representative in England. She could vote in Assembly, take part in Owls meeting and answer to letters that is meant for John. She had great influence in the politics now. And first she needed to vote in the Assembly.

The Siege of Rome: Intervene Immediately

Mary thinks that the Pope needs our help. Especially because he is English. It’s our duty to help him!

Religious Acts: Religious Unity

Mary has lived for long time in the Scarborough, actually almost all her life, and she had seen how the Lollards have been promoting their heretic religion. Also didn’t they just start a revolt in Ireland. Even if Queen has tolerated them. What a dishonorable people!

Colonial Growth: Yes

Mary thinks that John will love that he will get extra workers in the colonies. Also banishing criminals to the Anglica will be a good punishment.

Mission: Turn Marajó into a city

Of course Mary votes for this. John is the colonist.

Now Mary has decided her votes. John will be proud of her. Hopefully she will see him in near future...

((The Owls meeting has been moved to Sunday the 28th due to only 2 people coming, one of which is me, and the other is @Janha. Also because our glorious leader, @Cheffy didn't come.))

Reactions:
((At the Royal Assembly))

The delegates were heavily divided on religious politics. 11 out of the 22 votes were cast in favor of Victoria Talbot's Religious Tolerance Act. Nevertheless, the act failed by by just one vote. Eight out of the 22 votes were cast in favor of the Religious Unity Act. Neither of the two religious acts managed to get the required majority.

The Colonial Growth Act received an overwhelming majority of agreement among the delegates. The Royal Assembly also decided that the Diplomatic Corps should write a new declaration of the Queen's legitimate claim on the French throne. Robert Clifford was given the honor to write the declaration.

There was no doubt that His Holiness Pope Benedict must have been delighted by the Assembly's decision to intervene in the Savoyard-Genoese War in order to put an end to the siege of Rome. The Papacy had to be saved - at all costs.

((The siege of Rome: Intervene in the war immediately
Religious acts: Both failed
Colonial Growth Act: Yes
Mission: Force union on France))

((To Count Walpole after the meeting of the Assembly))
Count Walpole,
You are being sent to Vienna as a representative of the Crown to gather information about the current situation in Austria. Normally, this is a task for the ambassador but after Alexander Mordaunt left, that position has been vacant and therefore one of the royal diplomats has to be entrusted with this matter. You will have to explain to the people of Austria that the planned war to press their claim on the Venetian-held Terra Ferma is put on hold due to England's intervention in the Savoyard-Genoese War. We have not forgotten their interests.
Please leave London at once as this is a delicate and urgent matter.

~ Matthew Lancaster, Crown Prince and Chancellor of the Realm

Ofcourse, your Highness. I shall leave at once.

- Henry Walpole

Last edited:
The Royal Assembly also decided that the Diplomatic Corps should write a new declaration of the Queen's legitimate claim on the French throne. Robert Clifford was given the honor to write the declaration.
((Post agreed on/checked by @delpiero1234))

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE BY GODS WILL INVESTED ELIZABETH I. QUEEN OF ENGLAND,
QUEEN OF FRANCE, QUEEN OF SCOTLAND, QUEEN OF NORWAY,
ARCHDUCHESS OF AUSTRIA, DUCHESS OF AQUITAINE,
VICTOR OVER THE IRISH, SCOTTISH, FRENCH, NORWEGIAN AND DANISH,
DEFENDER OF THE NORTHERN SEAS AND PROTECTOR OF THE FAITHFULL

to Louis de Valois, the self-called "King" of France and all who might read this.

YOU HAVE BEEN WRONGFULLY CALLING YOURSELF "KING" OF FRANCE,
THE TIME HAS COME TO SHOW THE WORLD THAT YOU ARE JUST A PRETENDER
AND THE RIGHTFUL QUEEN OF FRANCE WILL END YOUR ILLEGITIMATE RULE.

THE FRENCH LANDS SHALL BE RULED BY THE RIGHTFUL QUEEN OF FRANCE, ELIZABETH I.

THE NAME VALOIS WILL FOREVER BE LINKED WITH IMMENSE FAILURE,
THEIR SO-CALLED "KINGS" SEEN AS LIARS, BARBARIANS AND IMPOSTERS.

I WILL SHOW THE WORLD THAT FRANCE OUGHT TO BE RULED BY ME,
THAT THE FRENCH PEASANTS WILL CRY FOR ME TO END YOUR RULE AND
TO HAVE ME AS THEIR HONOURABLE AND MIGHTY RULER.

YOUR TIME IS OVER, MY TIME TO RULE FRANCE HAS COME.

I, Robert Clifford, Diplomat of England, recognise this document and sign it with my own hand.

SIGNED BY ELIZABETH I. WITH HER OWN HAND AND SEALED WITH HER SEAL.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Reactions:
Date: November 20th 1481
((Thanks to everyone who came, and I'm sorry you didn't get to do a whole lot :p))
The day had finally come, the sky was clear and the church was decorated and no expenses were spared for the wedding between Alyssa Nuzhat and Wilhelm von Vries, important nobles from the realm were present at the wedding, as well as high ranking courtiers. The ushers arrived and showed everyone to their seats as Count Wilhelm arrived with his chamberlain and walked to the front of the ceremony, standing on the right side.
No family was present for either the groom or bride, due to Alyssa’s family being in Ceylon and Count Wilhelm’s hating him. Alyssa had Count Henry Walpole do it instead.
An organ started playing and Alyssa arrived with Anton in arm started to walk down the aisle as the music played to her steps ad she arrived at the front of the ceremony in front of Count Vries, her soon to be husband and smiled at him as she thanked Prince Anton .

Charles Wells: “We are gathered here, together, in the sight of God, and in the face of this company, to join this Man *He turns towards Wilhelm* and this Woman *turning towards Alyssa* in holy Matrimony. If any man can show just cause, why these two cannot be lawfully together, let them speak not, or else hereafter forever hold his peace.”

No one spoke, it seemed as this was a match made in heaven.

Wells: “I require and charge you both, as ye will answer at the dreadful day of judgment when the secrets of all hearts shall be disclosed, that if either of you know any impediment, why ye may not be lawfully joined together in Matrimony, ye do now confess it. For be ye well assured, that if any persons are joined together other than as God's Word doth allow, their marriage is not lawful.”

He faced Count von Vries

“Wilhelm, will you have this woman as your wife, and spend the rest of your life by her side? Will you love her, comfort her, protect her honour and keep her in both sickness and health? And keep her only to yourself, as long as both of you live?”

The Count smiled, and answered, confident: “I do.”

Wells turned towards Lady Nuzhat: “Alyssa, will you have this man as your husband, to live together in the holy Matrimony? Will you love him, comfort him and honour him? Keep him in sickness and health? Keep him only to yourself as long as you live?”

Alyssa smiled a little as she nodded “I do”

Charles coursed the couples hands together

Wilhelm said his vows in a deep, solemn voice: “I Wilhelm von Vries take thee Alyssa Nuzhat to be my wedded wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse; for richer for poorer; in sickness and in health; to love and to cherish; till death us do part, according to God's holy law; and thereto I give thee my troth”.

The chamberlain gave the two wedding rings to Archbishop Wells, who blessed it and returned Alyssa's to Wilhelm

Wilhelm: “With this ring I thee wed; with my body I thee honour; and all my worldly goods with thee I share. In the name of the father, the son and of the Holy Ghost”.

The ring was placed on Alyssa’s hand and she smiled as the Archbishop gave her Wilhelms ring and repeats the same phrase as she puts the ring on the Count's hand

Alyssa: “With this ring I thee wed; with my body I thee honour; and all my worldly goods with thee I share. In the name of the father, the son and of the Holy Ghost'

Charles: “I now pronounce you husband and wife! May you live happily in your marriage until death do you apart.”

Alyssa and the Count kissed passionately as the room cheered and clapped, the wedding was finished and Alyssa was now Alyssa von Vries, now it was time for the after-party at the Bergen Castle.

Drinks and food were sprawled across the table, and every person at the wedding was also present at the party

((Conversations at the party))

At one moment of the party, Friedrich Hayk and his uncle approached the new Countess of Bergen.

Friedrich Hayk: “Congratulations Lady Alyssa. I wish you well and i hope you have a lot of sons. Also, My father sends his best wishes. This here is my uncle.”

Ignazio: “Congratulations, my lady.”

Alyssa smiled at Friedrich “Friedrich, your father and I are friends, you don’t have to use my formal title, even in public” She smiled “I am sad that your father was unable to make it, I wanted him to be present here, especially after our last encounter” She turned her head to Ignazio “It is a pleasure to meet you.”

Friedrich: “Well, Lady Alyssa, you may be a friend of my father, but the rules of nobility are clear with the treatment and formality.” Friedrich smiled. “Yes, he was sad when he told me he won’t come but he had an expedition already planned. If you want to send him a message, i will gladly be your courier.”

Alyssa: “Rules are for people who aren’t friends” She shrugged “Just tell him the wedding went well and I am sad that he couldn’t be here”

Friedrich: “But rules are the base of our society, at least that’s what i learned in the trials that my father has oversaw” Said Friedrich in a calm tone. “I will transmit him your thoughts. I will not take more of your time”

Ignazio: “It was a pleasure, my Lady”

Alyssa: “Thank you both for coming” Alyssa waved as they walked off to enjoy the party

In the Kitchens, the servants were working tirelessly, some of them really hated this kind of events, because the count asked for to many types of food to be cooked given the different people who attended. Two of them were particularly angry of their situation:

Hanna: Do you believe this? I have never seen this quantity of sauerkraut and Kartoffelsalat in all my life

Adala: “There aren’t even that many people here” Adala sighed “Most of this food will be thrown away”

Hanna: “I know!! And we will have to eat that thing that even the pigs hate. I do not understand what the count saw in that woman. Is she even christian?”

Adala: “I don’t even know, she’s obviously not from here, there’s no way they have Christianity in a civilization so.. barbaric” Adala chuckled

Hanna: "She surely used her body to capture him. I believe she is a witch, maybe our poor count is over some kind of spell, that will be the only explanation for his choice of wife."

Adala: “Do you think she might be a witch?”

Hanna: "Yes. I have heard that those barbarians teach dark arts to their children, she surely knows one or two spells."

Adala: “Perhaps we should warn our count of her witchcraft, maybe he’ll see his error”

Hanna: “Should we? She may turn you into a frog if you tell that to the count. i think we can only pray for the salvation of his soul."

Adala: “And he may have me executed for treason too.”

Hanna: "Oh lord, you are right. She may be hearing us with some magic artifacts. It is better if we just avoid her as much as we can."

Adala: “Mhm, you may be correct”

The two maids left the kitchen and went separate ways.

As the night progressed, the party slowly died down. The nobles were hosted inside a separate manor for the night, and the servants took care to clean up what remained on the tables and the main hall. The next morning, the nobles woke up, some with a skull-shattering headache, others filled with energy, and they boarded ships back to London.

Chapter 12 - The English Intervention
The Royal Navy was sailing through the Straits of Otranto when the news of Pope Hadrianus death reached them. An Englishman had been chosen to be his successor and with the Pope's involvement in the Savoyard-Genoese War, the men realized immediately that their assignment would change. Venice could wait.
While the Navy was sure there was going to be war, the decision laid with the Royal Assembly which had met to discuss the issue. An overwhelming majority voted to intervene immediately. The Papacy had to be saved from the Savoyard oppressors.
Instead of heading for Görz in Austria, the Royal Navy sailed for the port of Ancona where the army under General Walter Briggs arrived in October 1484. By that time, the Savoyard army was already besieging the seat of the Pope.

Qh0ngCm.png

Pope Benedict was naturally delighted of Queen Elizabeth's decision to intervene in. He excommunicated Duke Amedeo IX di Savoia for having declared war on him. The Pope was holy but Amedeo seemed to cared little. All Amedeo wanted was control of Albenga and possibly the city of Genova.
Meanwhile in the New World, Conquistador William Becket died at the age of 62. He was replaced by one of the men of Becket's expedition, Benjamin York. York continued to look for riches in Anglica, following Becket's path.

7KX5w4i.png

The Pope also saw it fit to proclaim the English Queen as a Saint of the Holy Roman Church. This caused quite some confusion. Many of the bishoprics disagreed with the Pope's decision to make her a saint. The Reform desire of the Church increased further. Some of the bishoprics, however, accepted Elizabeth as a Saint, even though no living person had been declared as a saint since the 7th century.

b0MM9c7.png

General Briggs's troops got used to the Mediterranean climate and its mild winters quickly and were ready to march from Ancona to Roma to engage the Savoyard forces by December 1484. The Battle of Rome began on 15 December and lasted for about two weeks, resulting in a victory.
While the battle concluded, English recruiters reported that more men than usual wanted to be enrolled in the army to join the Holy War. Some of the recruits were Catholic fanatics but at this point the army needed men so their backgrounds mattered only little.

Reinforcment from Savoy's ally Provence had not made it in time to Rome and so they gathered in the hills of Umbria, just outside of Perugia. The Florentine army was in the meantime occupying the Italian Rivieria for Duke Amedeo. Albanga had already fallen and next was the major coastal metropolis of Genova. The Papal Forces led by General Corfini suffered a defeat and had to retreat to Kärnten, Austria.
Vp4zLGx.png
General Briggs left a group of infantrymen behind in Roma to ensure that the city's defenses were repaired in the unlikely scenario of a new siege. He then left with the main army and headed for Umbria to engage the Provençal army. Victory was secured also thanks to the help of Austria. By now, Duke Amedeo must have realized that the table was turning in favor of Genova and the Papacy.
England then slowly but steadily pushed into enemy territory: The fortified city of Florence stood between the Papal State and Savoy and prevented troop movement. The Florentine capital had to be taken in order to advance and so a camp was constructed. The army prepared itself for a potentially long siege, despite the deployment of many bronze mortars.
In West Africa, Captain von Vries had the situation under control so far but the population was still rebellious and so he had to stay in the region. The war against Savoy took place without him.

s01VXJq.png

In Anglica, Conquistador Benjamin York helped a group of Peralta family members who were attacked by Native American savages. In return, he received a payment of gold and fine diamonds which the Peraltas had found in Mendoza. Honest pay for honest work.
The funds were used to build some necessary infrastructure which Alexander of Huntingdon had sanctioned to be built. Lothian's and Bergen's importance as trade centers increased drastically within a year. Huntingdon also commissioned the construction of religious buildings in Britain and he provided the arm with more funds to train 2 more bronze mortar regiments in the capital.
While trade in Bergen and Lothian flourished, the situation in the Bay of Biscay had been going from bad to worse in the matter of a decade. The Euskal Biscay Company was operating at a loss and forced to close its doors on 22 January 1485 due to bankruptcy.

Cvs19yv.png

The Savoyard-Genoese War was not the only on-going major conflict in Western Europe. Burgundy had declared war on Provence with the intention to conquer Barrois. Aragon and France were on opposite fronts in the Ferrarese Conquest of Lucca - a pointless war which involved also the Holy Roman Emperor because Lucca had been seized by Milan so the two parties were fighting a war over absolutely nothing. War, war, war - in every corner of Western Europe there was war.

dgvoGT0.png

General Walter Briggs seemed concerned with the siege of Florence - his siege corps was making litle progress and a messenger reported that the enemy forces could breach the wall of Genova any day now. It took a longer then the messenger claimed but in late June 1485, the Genovese walls was breached, giving the attackers a massive advantage...
On 8 July, the Royal Diplomatic Corps received a letter from King Juan IV who had turned 60 years old not too long ago. Robert Clifford gave Elizabeth the letter which stated that Castilians had declared war on their neighbor Aragon! Iberia was at war once again and found itself in the same situation as a few years ago: Portugal, an ally of Castile and Aragon, sided naturally with the defenders who also called in Venice and Ferrara. Surprisingly, Juan IV did not demand England's participation in his war. He understood that the English were busy defending His Holiness Benedict XIII. Elizabeth was worried though that Enrique IV would change his mind once the differences between the Papacy and Savoy were settled.. England had no interest in fighting this war and so Robert Clifford was given the task to inform him that for now on, England will not join any Castilian offensive wars in the next few years.

CdjgEhK.png

England had been involved in the Savoyard-Genoese War for almost a year when the combined armies of Savoy and Provence suffered a major defeat at Cuneo. The mountainous province was the grave of many men and it seemed like miracle that the heavily outnumbered Austrian army achieved a victory here. Good news came also from Central Italy: Florence was finally occupied, opening the door for General Briggs to make a move on Genova before it falls.
With Florence occupied, the Pope made a separate deal on Genoa's behalf that saw the Medici ceding Arezzo to the Papal State. This peace treaty also ended the siege of Genova prematurely. A good day for England but the war was not over. Now it was time to attack Savoy and Provence!

NeDLe6r.png

Englishmen were working hard to occupy the French Riviera while the Austrians were busy taking down the fortifications of Cuneo after their victory over the enemy army. In England they were confident that soon this was all going to be over.
Meanwhile the farmers of Ireland reported that 1485 was a particular good harvest for them. Especially oats grew splendidly this year.
In the New World, a group of scouts under Conquistador York discovered silver deposits while exploring Matara in the hinterlands of Anglica. They killed a few natives who were protecting the silver but at the end of the day they claimed it for the Crown.
King Enrique IV seemed to see it fit to send reports of his own to London to keep Elizabeth informed of his own progress. His armies achieved a victory first over Portugal and in December 1485 over Aragon. His men had also occupied three provinces in Northern Portugal. Everything was going in his favor but he had to move quickly because Venice could send its 23.000 men to Iberia any day.

7DOtxml.png

Wilhem Hayk had returned from his second voyage to the islands off the mainland of New Anglica. He mapped all of them and named the region Caribbean. None of the islands he found was colonized by a European power but there were a lot of native Americans in the region.
After a short stay in Britain, he packed his things again for a new expedition. Hayk had convinced Elizabeth to fund an expedition to find a sea route to India. Deja vu! This time he seemed even more determined to find it. He left on 10 December 1485.
Reports from General Briggs informed the Queen of the war situation. Aix-en-Provence and Cuneo were expected to fall in less than a year. Rome had been secured and no Savoyard dared to lay siege on it again. Benedict XIII was most grateful. Despite that, the Pope signed a poor peace treaty with Savoy in which he agreed to pay war reparation for a period of no shorter than 10 years! Avignon had been under Savoyard occupation and the war exhaustion among the people of the Papal State was so high that Benedict XIII had to sign the treaty. This demoralised the armies because victory had been so close. General Briggs's men continued the sieges despite this unfortunate twist.

7aPRBX6.png

The two additional bronze mortar regiments had been built in London but they were not sent to Italy. Instead, the mortars were used for testing purposes and eventually some minor improvements were made to them which were soon to be applied to all the mortars.
Elizabeth received a report from John Northwell that some Englishmen wanted to found a settlement next to Marajo. She allowed them to colonize Muturu. Marajó was still over greater importance though and more than 500 people called the colony their home. The population of Muturu was a less than half the size.

NOaiKRv.png

General Briggs occupied Aix-en-Provence after 187 days of siege on 27 April 1485. Less than 2 months later, the Austrian forces occupied Cuneo thanks to the deployment of additional English mortars. Shortly later, the Savoyad-Genoese War came to an end with Savoy being forced to return two of its core provinces to Switzerland. It was a victory that felt more like a stalemate. The English army left the Italian Riviera. A military campaign against Venice or Holland was still on the table. Fighting Venice could be too resource intensive though, despite them being involved in the war against Castile. Therefore, the army sailed back home.
In early June 1486, a revolt broke out in Western Africa. Captain von Vries was forced to suppress the rebells through military means.

bjwpKS7.png

Friar Andrews converted the population of Galam to the true faith. He stayed in West Africa for the time being. Together with his cousin Jack, Peter Andrews had founded the ICT, a trading company headquartered in Cayor, before he became a monk. The ICT was doing ok-ish due to revolts and a lack of shipping routes. The Ivory Coast was a poor region but the Andrews believed it was an ideal area to start a trading company. The Queen did not object to their plans.
Because of England's policy of tolerating Judaism, a group of Jews wanted to migrate Marajo after hearing of the richness that could be found in Anglica. More than 500 Jews wanted to settle down in that colony. It was decided not to regulate the migration and once the settlers arrived, the majority of the colonial population became Jewish. On the positive side, the colony was now large enough to be self-sustaining allowing the Crown to fund a new colony in close proximity to Marajó. John Northwell packed his things to find a suitable plot of land.
Meanwhile Conquistador York found a group of strange natives who he decided to stay clear of. One of his men disobeyed his orders and captured one of the strange savages. He was outraged but then realized it could be shipped off to Britain for further examination.

TByjlf2.png

General Briggs and his men stayed in Britain until February 1487. They then left the port of Dover and headed for the coast of Holland. Amsterdam and Zeeland were important centers of trade that had to be conquered in order to strengthen the merchants' position in the Channel. As a prince of the Empire, Ludwig II joined the war on Holland's side and so did Bremen. War taxes were raised for a period of two years.
A few weeks later, John Northwell found a plot of land in Amapa which was suited for erecting a new settlement. His idea was to eventually connect that settlement with the existing ones in Marajó and Muturu via land routes. The thick tropical forests made movement a challenging task. At least the productivity of the colonies increased slightly thanks to improved book-keeping and higher tariffs.

D0ertHe.png

In the province of Gelre, the Austrians secured the first victory of the war in a battle against General Schoonbeck of Holland. The surviving troops retreated to Bremen where General Briggs slaughtered them one by one. He had left behind some mortars and men in Holland which were commanded by the Crown Prince himself. After his victory over the army, a messenger informed him that Holland fell after 190 days. This looked like a very short war because Austria was dealing with the Emperor and General Briggs with Bremen.
The siege of Bremen was also exactly 190 days long and was won in January 1488. Hessen fell shortly later.

e561n4G.png

Count Walpole had the honor of delivering the English terms to Bremen and the Emperor. Both, Bremen and the Emperor had to pay war reparation and annual all their existing treaties. Robert Clifford then negotiated the final peace treaty with Holland which was signed on 5 March 1488. Holland ceded Amsterdam and Zeeland to England and agreed to pay war reparations. The Hollander capital was as a consequence relocated to Gelre. At last, English domaine was established over the Channel!

PsBsb1t.png

niPy4tJ.jpg

hWKyDr6.png

((Edit:
The following positions are currently open
- Chancellor
- Ambassador to the Subjects
- Diplomat (Temporary)
- Merchant
- Conquistador
))

Last edited:
((Name: Peter Phillips
Birth-Date: 11th of September 1451
Religion: Catholic
Class: Noble, claiming Amsterdam
Faction: Owls
Biography: An English nobleman that had always been fascinated with Dutch culture and loves the city of Amsterdam.

Your Majesty, I humbly request to be assigned as count of Holland.
- Peter Phillips

((I will play 2 families and switch families everytime my active character dies. Walpole is still alive, and you can try to kill him.)

Last edited:
Reactions:
Your Majesty,

I am writing you to offer myself for the position of Chancellor. With my current experience as diplomat and my knowledge of foreign cultures and languages, I feel I can be of great use in this position.

With the latest activities of your son, Crown Prince Matthew, it seems he is very busy and might not enough time to spend for this heavy task. It is impossible to blame him for that, the appointment was only meant to be temporary and his actions in other fields have been very courageous.

Awaiting your response,
Your most loyal subject,
Robert Clifford, Count of Cumbria, Lord of Mann and member of the Royal Diplomatic Corps

((To Robert Clifford))
Crown Prince Matthew is indeed extremely busy. Last I heard from him he was at the siege of Amsterdam boosting morale of the troops. Your work as royal diplomat so far is truly impressive and I feel you are most qualified for this person. I believe you were present at the signing of the peace treaty with Holland or Bremen, weren't you?

I signed a decree which officially makes you the Chancellor of the Realm. May you serve the realm as faithfully as Chancellor as you have as diplomat.

~ Elizabeth Talbot, Queen of England, Queen of France, Queen of Scotland, Queen of Norway, Archduchess of Austria, Duchess of Aquitaine

Your Majesty,

I indeed negotiated the final peace deal with Holland.
I thank you for the trust you invest in me. I won't disappoint you.

Your most loyal subject,
Robert Clifford, Count of Cumbria, Lord of Mann and Chancellor of the English Realm

((To all members of the Royal Assembly))
Gentlemen,
Her Royal Majesty Queen-Saint Elizabeth Talbot I is proposing an act for naming procedures of any new colonies. A copy of the act are attached to your letter. Do not hesitate to get back to the Crown should you have any concerns with the Queen's proposal.

~ Vincent Greyman, Royal Advisor

Colonial Naming Act of 1488

New colonies shall be named after English towns or important English personalities to strengthen the ties between the settlements in Anglica and Britain.

((Private))

December 1484

Rome was saved. England had seen the wisdom of intervening in the war against the Papal State and had saved the holy city from being sacked. Walter had swept down upon the Savoyards as they besieged Rome and smashed them against the walls. The Savoyards had been foolish to bring so much cavalry to a siege and no artillery. The victory had been easy.

Walter William Briggs did not spend long in Rome. He ensured that the Pope was okay, for the war would be pointless if His Holiness was lost. Once that was ascertained, he marched off again. Rome may have been saved, but the war was far from won.

September 1485

Florence had been a nuisance for several months now. The city had withstood Walter's siege for far too long. His task was to ensure that the Papal State remained untouched. The Austrians had proven their worth greatly in that regard, assisting their English brethren wherever possible. Still, the region could not be secured unless Florence was removed from the picture.

Just as the summer started to wane, the Florentines finally gave in. The Genoese were wise when settling a peace, forcing Florence to hand over a province to the Papal State. Walter puffed up his chest with pride at that, for he had brought about that peace through his actions and that of his men. Thanks to England's intervention, the Papal State was stronger now. Now the war just had to be brought to an end. There was still Provence and Savoy to deal with. Walter was not too enthusiastic about fighting them, for they were more of Genoa's concern than the Papal State's. He supposed now that England was involved, he would have to aid the Papal State's ally as well as the Pope. There was more work to do.

Early 1486

What had His Holiness been thinking? Provence and Cuneo were expected to fall soon and neither Provence nor Savoy had been able to touch Rome since England's intervention. Yet the Pope had agreed to sign some lousy peace paying off the Savoyards. Walter could only assume internal pressure had forced His Holiness's hand, but it felt like a failure to see the Pope, God's representative on Earth, forced to pay off these heretics. Walter hoped they would pay dearly for that peace. God's vengeance must be absolute.

June 1486

The war was over. Savoy had received its comeuppance, forced to hand over two provinces to neutral Switzerland. He would have preferred a more punitive peace, but he was not the one making the decision here, despite the fact that he and his men had essentially won the war for Genoa. He hoped the Genoese were grateful at least. They should be kissing Queen Elizabeth's feet for intervening in their petty dispute and saving their hides. At least the Papal State was safe, at least for now. It was finally time to go home.

Early 1487

Walter's respite in Marches was short, for yet again he was called to duty, this time to claim land for his queen in the Lowlands. This war more suited him. Here was a chance to serve his country in claiming some worthwhile land, not some worthless land in Africa or on the Pope's behalf. Perhaps these provinces would serve as a jumping-off point for a future invasion of France. The stronger England's presence grew on the continent, the easier it would be to eliminate France as a threat once and for all. He set sail for Holland, praying that it would be a quick campaign that would bring glory to his queen and country.

Early 1488

Another quick campaign brought to completion. None of the participants had put up much of a fight, especially with the massive English and Austrian armies bearing down on them. Holland's army had been eradicated with minimal losses to his own forces. And the peace treaties had benefited England greatly. More land for the kingdom and money from the losers to fill England's treasury. Walter's mind, however, was already on thoughts of home. He pondered when the next campaign would occur, and hoped it would be far enough in the future to allow him the chance to spend time with his family in Marches. His daughter needed a husband, and with no sons of his own yet that match had to be perfect. He also supposed that the army and navy needed some attention now that he was to return to England for a time. He could not neglect his duties, after all.

((Private - Small Council))

After examining our forces, I believe there is a chance for expansion. I believe it might be wise to expand our trade fleets, for more light ships serving our merchants will bring great wealth and prosperity to the kingdom. For now I think an addition of 5 barques will do. We should also consider expanding the main fleet by adding more heavy ships to ensure we remain the dominant naval power in Europe. I suggest the addition of 4 early carracks to the navy. However, these ships will prove expensive, so we should only construct them if the Master of Coin believes we have the funds to maintain them.

As for the army, I believe any expansion of our forces should be taken tentatively. While artillery has indeed proven quite useful, they are quite costly and unwieldy. If we can perhaps improve upon them to make them easier to use, then we should consider using more in our army. Perhaps a few more cavalry regiments can be used, for they can be effective in flanking the enemy and charging into their ranks.

((Summary:
- Build 5 light ships
- Build 4 heavy ships, but only of the Master of Coin allows it
- Hold off on building more artillery until their stats are better
- Recruit 2+ cavalry regiments))

Reactions:
Victoria sat there, fiddling with her quill, as she contemplated how she could get the Religious Tolerance Act approved, but, after a long internal debate, she decided that it would not be possible to get the intolerant assembly members to allow toleration in the entire kingdom. Instead, she decided to propose a compromise that would at least allow heretics and Jews under tolerant nobles to live in peace.
Compromise of Religious Toleration Act of 1488
1.The treatment of Jews and Christian heretics shall fall under the control of the noble who controls a county.
2.This treatment can include any measure outlined in the failed Religious Tolerance Act or the failed Religious Unity Act.

Secondly, she had an act to propose that would hopefully allow noble women of the realm to serve in some matters as much as their male counterparts. Although she would want to implement the same for military roles and courtiers, she decided that she would attempt to take small steps at a time.

The Permission of the Female Nobility to Serve the Realm Act of 1488
1. Female members of the Nobility (landed or otherwise) shall be permitted to serve political (but not military) roles.

((To the Assembly))
"To those of you who shall oppose my proposed acts, I would invite you to state your problems with them so that we may debate the issue before the Assembly is called to vote".

Compromise of Religious Toleration Act of 1488
1.The treatment of Jews and Christian heretics shall fall under the control of the noble who controls a county.
2.This treatment can include any measure outlined in the failed Religious Tolerance Act or the failed Religious Unity Act.
((Tolerating a religious minority is national business. Jews and Lollards are currently tolerated in all of England. The tolerance policy towards the Jews can be changed by the assembly. Having a different regulation for every county seem not feasible.))

The Permission of the Female Nobility to Serve the Realm Act of 1488
1. Female members of the Nobility (landed or otherwise) shall be permitted to serve political (but not military) roles.
((The Small Council has only recently (two updates ago) decided that women shall not have any political or military power. 4 of the 5 small council members are still the same. I will look into it if the small council members changed their opinion on this matter and if they did then I'll coordinate a joint-IC.))

Last edited: