• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Welcome on board everyone! I have a few announcements to make. Expect more changes to the rules. They are not fully fleshed out yet.

I updated the rules for character creation. You can now be either a nobleman, courtier or a clergyman. I saw no drawbacks in starting the AAR with all three classes. The below section has been added to the rules.

Please take a minute and update your character post should any of the information be missing in your character post. I will write a more detailed post on how to become generals/admirals/diplomats etc once the AAR is underway so please have some patience with me. This is, after all, my first AAR with full-interactivity and some things are thereby new to me.
Nobleman may claim a county and clergyman may claim a bishopric after I have posted the Prologue.

All in-character posts have to be posted in italics. This means if you want to write something in-character then you have to use italics.

I won't be using ironman to allow some modding where necessary.
Is there any draw back to being a heretic?

Name: Earl James Alexander Bourchier
Birthdate: 13th April 1409
Religion: Catholic
Class: noble, claiming Essex
bio: born into privilege, James has had it all, with his life handed to him on a silver platter. But he has explored Europe, and now has settled down to manage his estate, care for his legacy and server king and country as best he can.

Reactions:
Can you start as a landless noble who may gain land later on?
Nobody starts with land. You have to ask the king to grant you a province if you are a noble/clergyman. Once I posted the Prologue (later today) you can start asking for provinces :) Does that answer your question?

Is there any draw back to being a heretic?
There most likely will be draw-backs but these have not yet been decided on. They could include, but are not limited to having a harder time getting a province or a position. Orthodox, however, are not persecuted. I think religious madness will break out after the Reformation starts. After the reformation, heretics might have a very hard time. For now, Orthodox should not worry too much about getting punished.

Prologue - The Year 1444
It was the year 1444 of our Lord and Europe had seen better days. King Henry VI of the noble House of Lancaster ruled over the Kingdom of England, the Duchy of Aquitaine and the Duchy of Normandy. Henry VI, a 22-years old man, relied mostly on the advice of his small council. Some of the nobility argued that he was not fit to rule.
Despite that, England's economy was doing well, producing a surplus of 6.05 ducats a month. The majority of the income came from taxation, closely followed by trade.

ZxWJGet.png

p72u687.png

uofwgzB.png

Henry VI had no legal heir which was reason enough for some nobles to secretly work on plotting against the monarch. It was said that only a legal heir could end prevent this crisis from turning into a civil war.
Generally speaking, the last few decades were not great for England. Armagnac was lost to the French and the Hundred Years Wars had its toll on the manpower reserves. Despite that, the English army counted an army of 18.000 infantrymen and 7.000 cavalrymen.
The king also knew of the political instability in Ireland which had not been unified. Leinster, Connaught, Tyrone and Munster all ruled over a small piece of land. For years House Lancaster has tried to unify these counties under English rule but the Hundred Years Wars with France had prevent any notable progress - only Meath with its capital Dublin had been conquered by brave Englishmen.

Hh8jwmE.png

o4Pk6va.png

The political situation for the Kingdom of England was not ideal. Henry VI had lost all but one of his allies - Only the Portuguese still stood with England in 1444. The independence of Scotland had been guaranteed by the hated French that were ruled by King Charles VII de Valois. de Valois considered the English as their fierce rivals which explained why they had guaranteed Scottland.
The Bretons formed an alliance with the Burgundians which also had rivaled England. The King of the Kalmar Union, Christopher III von Wittelsbach, had in common with Burgundy and France that he despised the English. Henry VI was praying to God that the Kalmar Union was going to end soon. Without Sweden in their fold, Denmark would be much weaker.
In case of an invasion, the enemy would have to besiege the five English forts which were in London, Coventry, Dublin, Caen and Bayonne. England's safety was, however, mostly being guaranteed by the Royal Navy and not by fortified provinces. The Royal Navy counted 17 cogs and six early carracks. On top of that, nine barques were protecting English trade interests.

ERsDiMU.png

c81JdKW.png

Henry VI knew that difficult times laid ahead. Not only because some of the nobility was disputing his claim to the throne but also because the Hundred Years Wars was still far from over. Will England manage restore the union with France or will the de Valois drive the English out of Europe? Can Henry VI lead the English to victory?Can he build the foundation to establish a mighty empire? Only time can tell but what was certain was that England was not going to go down without a fight.

Your Majesty, my family has fought for decades against the French, and lost many of our beloved, and many of fortune has been spend on weapons, armor, horses and training. Some of them never came back, while some have participated in great victories. We became noble because of our lands in Alencon We have also noticed that the people of Meath have become quite unruly, and want to seperate from the state, and form their own. This cannot be accepted, and as such, I'm asking you to make me the count of Meath, and bring culture to these French savages, while destroying any uprising they may start.

- John Walpole

Your most gracious Majesty, though I am an orthodox, my family is rich and heavily influential especially in the east and we would like to be recognized with the county of Cornwall. We will fight with fervor as generals in the army if need be, for the good English nation. I pledge myself to thee and my skills I shall place at your hands.

-Augustus Markson

Your Majesty, I urgently request that you help in the crusades as soon as possible. The existence of Christianity is threatened by the Ottoman empire and we must salvage Europe and my homeland Byzantium from the Ottoman advance. Should we not this could spell the end of Christianity.

-Augustus Markson

There most likely will be draw-backs but these have not yet been decided on. They could include, but are not limited to having a harder time getting a province or a position. Orthodox, however, are not persecuted. I think religious madness will break out after the Reformation starts. After the reformation, heretics might have a very hard time. For now, Orthodox should not worry too much about getting punished.
I am glad that England is so welcoming to those of the orthodox faith at least for now.

Reactions:
@ConjurerDragon i sourced the image, and agreed it lacks the Columbia/ Oregon territory but the region was only those we had under direct jurisdiction not mandates like northern Tunisia or claimed territories like Oregon i think.

Your Majesty, my family has fought for decades against the French, and lost many of our beloved, and many of fortune has been spend on weapons, armor, horses and training. Some of them never came back, while some have participated in great victories. We became noble because of our lands in Alencon We have also noticed that the people of Meath have become quite unruly, and want to seperate from the state, and form their own. This cannot be accepted, and as such, I'm asking you to make me the count of Meath, and bring culture to these French savages, while destroying any uprising they may start.

- John Walpole
Letter to John Walpole

You have proven yourself in the army against the filthy French and the Irish have to be subjugated. An iron-hand like you would be the ideal count for Meath. Therefore, I hereby grant you the title Count of Meath.

~ Henry VI Lancaster, King of England, Duke of Aquitaine and Duke of Normandy

Your most gracious Majesty, though I am an orthodox, my family is rich and heavily influential especially in the east and we would like to be recognized with the county of Cornwall. We will fight with fervor as generals in the army if need be, for the good English nation. I pledge myself to thee and my skills I shall place at your hands.

-Augustus Markson

Your Majesty, I urgently request that you help in the crusades as soon as possible. The existence of Christianity is threatened by the Ottoman empire and we must salvage Europe and my homeland Byzantium from the Ottoman advance. Should we not this could spell the end of Christianity.

-Augustus Markson

Letter to Augustus Markson

Lord Markson,

after some lengthy debate with my advisors, I have been advised to to grant you the County of Cornwall, despite you being an Orthodox. However, I must inform you that the English cannot spare any men at the moment to join the Holy Crusade against the Ottoman Empire. The Ottoman threat is real and I fear that their conquests will continue far beyond Constantinople. Once we are in a position of power you can ask me to support a Crusade against the Ottomans again but for now I must decline your request. I hope you understand. Sending any men to fight the infidels would weaken our position. The French could attack any moment.

Your majesty, I humbly request the county of Caux. Although it may seem too valuable to grant to a noble, I assure you that, as its ruler, I would bend its resources to the complete destruction of House de Valois and the rightful place of House Lancaster on the throne of France.

And, if I may be so bold as to recommend a course of action to the crown, I would advise an alliance either with the Castilians (which may be more easily attained by the denouncement of the Catalans.) or with the Austrians. With the assistance of one of these nations, you could easily attain your rightful place on the French throne.

-Oliver Talbot

Last edited:
to your grace, His Majesty King Henry VI, King over England, King of the welsh regions, King of France, Duke of Normandy and Aquitaine,
I ask unto you to secure my families tradition and allow myself and my descendants to administer the earldom of Essex for yourself
yours humbly,
James Alexander Bourchier

Letter to John Walpole

You have proven yourself in the army against the filthy French and the Irish have to be subjugated. An iron-hand like you would be the ideal count for Meath. Therefore, I hereby grant you the title Count of Meath.

Thank you, my king.

-
John Walpole, count of Meath

Just a friendly reminder that we have a IRC chat on Coldfront, where we ask questions, make suggestions and talk about the AAR in general. When you get on the site you'll have to choose a nickname(Preferably the name of your account here) and type "/join #TSNS".

Last edited:
Letter to John Walpole
Letter to Augustus Markson

Lord Markson,

after some lengthy debate with my advisors, I have been advised to to grant you the County of Cornwall, despite you being an Orthodox. However, I must inform you that the English cannot spare any men at the moment to join the Holy Crusade against the Ottoman Empire. The Ottoman threat is real and I fear that their conquests will continue far beyond Constantinople. Once we are in a position of power you can ask me to support a Crusade against the Ottomans again but for now I must decline your request. I hope you understand. Sending any men to fight the infidels would weaken our position. The French could attack any moment.

Letter to Henry VI Lancaster, king of England, Duke of Aquitaine and Duke of Normandy

Thank you my majesty for your decision you are wise to have chosen not to rush to action though I fear it be too late for Byzantium and Europe should we wait.

~ Lord Markson

Your majesty, I humbly request the county of Caux. Although it may seem too valuable to grant to a noble, I assure you that, as its ruler, I would bend its resources to the complete destruction of House de Valois and the rightful place of House Lancaster on the throne of France.

And, if I may be so bold as to recommend a course of action to the crown, I would advise an alliance either with the Castilians (which may be more easily attained by the denouncement of the Catalans.) or with the Austrians. With the assistance of one of these nations, you could easily attain your rightful place on the French throne.

-Oliver Talbot

Letter to Lord Talbot

Lord Talbot,
I hereby grant you the tile of Count. May you rule Caux just in my name. I'd also like to thank you to support my claim on the French throne. The de Valois must die! The day Charlees VII' head sits on a spike shall be a holiday!

to your grace, His Majesty King Henry VI, King over England, King of the welsh regions, King of France, Duke of Normandy and Aquitaine,
I ask unto you to secure my families tradition and allow myself and my descendants to administer the earldom of Essex for yourself
yours humbly,
James Alexander Bourchier
Letter to Lord Bourchier

Lord Bourchier,
Essex is one of the country's most wealthy provinces. By entrusting your family this province you carry a large responsibility. Essex must continue to flourish. My advisors tell me that you are the ideal lord to rule as Count of Essex.

November the 11th, 1444

John Walpole started to speak.

"Nobles, Clergy and Courtiers of England. The lands to the west, known as Ireland, is divided in 4 poor and weak earldoms. These earldoms will be completely unable to resist our armies. We should conquer the island to strenghten our position in the British isles, and to increase the population of our great kingdom. We should also look for strong allies on the European mainland. Austria and Castille seem like good nations to help us fight the French might they attack us. God save the King!"

Last edited: