• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Bravo! I haven't chimed in awhile but I'm really enjoying the updates. That much coring of Muscovy has to be crazy expensive and crazy annoying with rebels popping up. I vote world conquest or at the very least total European conquest.
Actually, coring all those Muscovite provinces was dirt cheap :cool: The provinces have a low development and are considered overseas territory which further reduces the coring cost. The majority of them did also not cause any overextension because they were formerly uncolonised land.

I can't promise a WC but I'll try not to disappoint :)

Reactions:
Not an update but I want to let you guys know that today is the last day that you can vote in the AARland Chocie Awards Q3. Some of you have already voted and those who haven't I highly encourage to do so. Again, you don't have to vote for The Amsterdammer Way (of course I am very happy if you do). The important thing is that you just take a minute and vote :cool:

Not an update but I want to let you guys know that today is the last day that you can vote in the AARland Chocie Awards Q3. Some of you have already voted and those who haven't I highly encourage to do so. Again, you don't have to vote for The Amsterdammer Way (of course I am very happy if you do). The important thing is that you just take a minute and vote :cool:

Got super excited to see an update but this PSA is just as good I suppose. :D

Got super excited to see an update but this PSA is just as good I suppose. :D
Sorry :D
There won't be an update for a few more days, haven't had the time to play much EU IV lately, because I'm currently writing my Bachelor Thesis. I plan to have posted an update by the end of the week, maybe earlier.

Sorry :D
There won't be an update for a few more days, haven't had the time to play much EU IV lately, because I'm currently writing my Bachelor Thesis. I plan to have posted an update by the end of the week, maybe earlier.

Well good luck in your other writing endeavour then good sir!

Reactions:
Chapter XXXXI - The final Years

Amsterdam has overextension issues until 3 August, 1793. Afterwards, it was below 100% which allowed a smoother coring process. One year later, those provinces finish coring, too. Amsterdam has truces with most countries, preventing expansion at a rapid rate.
On 17 February, 1795, Amsterdam declares war on Muscovy and her ally Perm. This is an easy war and on 16 January, 1796, Perm cedes all but one of their provinces to Amsterdam. Full annexation would have cost too much war score.

14odVAF.png

100% War Score with Muscovy has been reached by the following month. This leads to the full annexation of Muscovy within one year after the declaration of war.
Amsterdam's republican tradition drops to a low of 74 after the the old rights of the cities are restored.

QiAPkOe.png

FbO6UNF.png

H9TXARk.png

With Muscovy gone, the Grand Republic goes to war with three-province-minor Golden Horde in June, 1796.
The Golden Horde as a level 9 fort in Kazan which promises for a long siege, despite having an excellent siege 4 general. The forts in the previous war against Muscovy and Perm were a joke.

7GLFhFM.png

Neverthless, after 14 months the war is won and the Golden Horde gets annexed by the Grand Republic. The conquest of China continues on 2 August, 1798, when Amsterdammer forces invade Ming.
Separate wars are also declared on Ming's protectorates: Hsenwi

CnmDRMy.png

101QuFT.png

On 9 March, 1799, war is then declared on Lithuania and her two allies Sweden and Perm. Hsenwi gets annexed by Amsterdam also in March, 1799.
The siege of Stockholm lasts for just 75 days. The Sweds forgot to build any notable defenses in their capital.

yHpUnYR.png

8clNsLY.png

A new Raadpensionaris gets elected on 3 April, 1800. Christiaan De Graeff now rules over the Grand Republic.
The Amsterdammer coring machine gets to work in late June when Ming loses the war by ceding 22 provinces. At that time, the war score with Lithuania is at 45%.
In March, 1801, the last remaining province of Perm is then annexed.

M8T5bvE.png

Qvt4KR5.png

Sweden agrees to cede nine of her provinces to the Grand Republic in September, 1801. On top of that, the Livonian Order's province Ösel gets annexed, too.
84% war score has been reached with Lithuania by October, 1802. It's not time for peace just yet. The coring machine has to finish coring the other provinces first.

s3AGtCU.png

PVV3ZHK.png

On 1 April, 1803, peace is then made with Lithuania. The Lithuanians cede nine provinces to Savoy and 24 provinces to Amsterdam After the fort in Nizhny Novgorod is destroyed, the province is returned to Muscovy due to overextension reasons. Amsterdam simply did not want to besiege that big fort again. Not enough administrative power is available to core all provinces anyways because Lithuania has a local nobility that heavily increases the coring cost.

ew4cszg.png

C4wkRf0.png

A diplomat is sent to Bavaria to begin integrating them into the realm. This process is anticipated to be completed in July, 1821, but by hiring a statesmen and by later on enacting the vassal integration act, this process can be speeded up.
Nieuw Meppen, a client state, is released on October 8, 1803. Nieuw Meppen is based in the province of Sari. Kuma is sold to them for 0 ducats.

gmRMcjn.png

L2Lw3Uu.png

The next two years provinces are being cored. Nothing interesting happens until December, 1805. In December, 1805, the truce with Ming has expired and war is declared on them. Military technology also reaches level 31 that very same month.

zdHpflX.png

yqvTneD.png

At the Battle of Yangzhou, Ming's forces suffer a big defeat.
One and a half years later, 61% war score has been reached but the fighting continues. Ming has recruited new armies and is not willing to make peace

uZuEoLV.png

jHPEM2o.png

After the armies are defeated, Ming cedes another 22 provinces to Amsterdam in December, 1807. Will Amsterdam manage to become Master of China?
Muscovy becomes the target of Amsterdammer aggression in February, 1809. Their province Nizhny Novogord has to be reconquered. After all, Amsterdam used to own it not too long ago. In April the province gets annexed.

GbeBxOt.png

0O2HNca.png

The Conquest of Lithuania continues on 7 June, 1809. The Lithuanians broke their alliance with Sweden which opens the door for Amsterdam to conquer more of their territory.
Bavaria deals with Lithuania's army at the very beginning of the war.

4aDybyy.png

FaDuYmS.png

In October, 1810, Amsterdam makes peace with the Lithuanians who cede 4 provinces to Savoy, 10 to Amsterdam and 15 to Nieuw Meppen.

0nbbr3M.png

The world on 3 October, 1810

VklIYJ4.png

Reactions:
Truces are just stupid documents. Finish your WC.

Truces are just stupid documents. Finish your WC.
Hehe :)

I used the gurantee-truce exploit that has been suggested here in this thread during that update. Never used it before and I have to say it's sooooo powerful :D

Dang. At this point it looks like any war is just a curb stomping for the other guy.
Well, this is why we don't assembly of the Raad of Amsterdam anymore. There is no challenge left in this campaign but I don't like abandoning campaigns, especially if they are AAR campaigns and so I always try to finish them :D

I'm really surprised though that Amsterdam is this close to a world conquest. When I started the campaign, I had certainly not anticipated something like this. Given, that my approach was not pure-blobbing.

Well, this is why we don't assembly of the Raad of Amsterdam anymore. There is no challenge left in this campaign but I don't like abandoning campaigns, especially if they are AAR campaigns and so I always try to finish them :D

I'm really surprised though that Amsterdam is this close to a world conquest. When I started the campaign, I had certainly not anticipated something like this. Given, that my approach was not pure-blobbing.
Dát is geen VOC-mentaliteit. You obviously knew Amsterdam would do a one-tag world conquest.

It'd be cool to just go on a release spree right before the game ends and see what it converts into for Vic2. Regardless I call for an Assembly of the Raad! We must vote to decide when we declare war on the moon!

The Conquest of Lithuania continues on 7 June, 1809. The Lithuanians broke their alliance with Sweden which opens the door for Amsterdam to conquer more of their territory.
Bavaria deals with Lithuania's army at the very beginning of the war.

Hahaha, yeah right, because one measly ally was the limiting factor here xD

Can't believe you're going to get world conquest, we were so specifically focussing on not blobbing in the beginning. Shows how ridiculously powerful your government is at the moment.

Offtopic: I know I suggested it before, but with your next AAR in sight, I highly suggest using some graphical mods. The default just does not hold up visually. There's a bunch of different ones out there, having different flavours. I can come up with some tips if you want. All the main ones are very stable and if you pluck 'm from steam, very easy to install. I highly recommend choosing one before you start recording VeF gameplay.

Reactions:
@Baron Tanks
I'll be testing some graphic mods after I finish this AAR :) I just did not want to add a new graphic mods before finishing this AAR. Would you please be so kind and remind me of the ones you had suggested? :)

It'd be cool to just go on a release spree right before the game ends and see what it converts into for Vic2. Regardless I call for an Assembly of the Raad! We must vote to decide when we declare war on the moon!
I have kept all the save games from the various chapters. I don't have Vicky II but I can make a save games available after the AAR is completed if someone wants to convert the game into Vicky II :cool: I'd certainly be interested to see how that would look.

I agree that switching during play will not be ideal,so I can't blame you for not doing it. Some mod suggestions, others are welcome to add their suggestions as well.

Thick borders and recolored water and its extra mods. Makes your map look like this. I love the way it makes the map look, but it's still very much in the EU4 design philosophy, just way prettier.

In heaven's graphics this is the one that turns the world into a big paper map, makes your map look like this. I really enjoy it, especially as a change of pace after playing the game for so long. It's a bit more drastic and due to the washed out nature of the colours, difference between countries isn't always clear (yellowish, brownish, it all looks the same). I just love the alltime feel. This one isn't on the steam workshop, but installing is only a matter of copying to the right mod folder.

There's a bunch of interface mods you can choose as well. I enjoy GFX overhaul, but it's all up to you. One special shoutout I like to give though, is MapModeButtons. It's a small change, all it does is change all the map modes into a stretched bar at the bottom of the GUI, in stead of hiding them behind a tab that also blocks your minimap. Ever since I installed I can't live without, 10/10 the best quality of life mod out there. You must get it :p

Reactions:
Thanks for the suggestions, @Baron Tanks. I'vee downloaded all three mods but have not tested them yet :)

At first glance, I'd say that I'll most likely use the tthick Borders mod.

The MapModeButtons is nice if you play on a large screen, VeF has its own graphics module (Which I don't use) that comes also with those nice buttons but it requires a large resolution and I usually play EU IV on my Macbook Pro (I could also player on desktop which has a larger screen but I usually don't).

The In Heaven's Graphics mod looks interesting. I have to see if I enjoy the paper map over the regular map though. Time will tell.

Thanks again!

Reactions:
Chapter XXXXII - Time to Say Goodbye

Amsterdam is lacking administrative power to core the recently conquered provinces. Nieuw Meppen and Savoy are also extremely busy coring provinces. Therefore, not much happens. Amsterdam could declare war on Sweden but without sufficient administrative power that seems to make not too much sense.

rsBu7B7.png

The Church of Amsterdam is disappointed by the low religious unity. Despite financing 5 Protestant missions, religious unity is at a low of 72%.
In China, rebells rise up but they are nothing more than just an annoyance.

SKJtXQN.png

vqvF4Tn.png

The passing of Raadpensionaris Christiaan de Graeff forces Amsterdam to hold an election. Nicholas von Mecklemburg becomes his successor. Hopefully his administration skills will help combating the coring issue.
In November, 1811, the coring issue is still very much present but von Mecklemburg is eager to declare war on the Sweds anyways. His predecessor would have waited some more,

1HvEf2M.png

74.000 soldiers besiege the Swdish capital, some smaller armies are sent to the various other provinces. The Swedish army gets slaughtered at the Battle of Jämtland shortly after Stockholm falls. Why the Sweds never built a massive fort in their capital remains a mystery.
Sweden second fortified province is Hälsingland. After a 35 day long siege, the province gets occupied by the Grand Republic after the walls were assaulted by the combined forces of Savoy and Bavaria, and an Amsterdammer army.

syWZgLe.png

Amsterdam takes Stockholm as well as eleven other provinces in a peace treaty which is signed on 1 March, 1813.
To embrace true republicanism, Amsterdam decides to focus on Plutocratic Ideas. This is long overdue, say some in the Grand Republic.

7hwCRGZ.png

ZwcgDix.png

In October, 1813, the Grand Republic then starts the integration process of Nieuw Meppen. It is estimated to be completed in about ten years. Three out of Amsterdam's four diplomats are working on integrating subjects.
One month later, war is declared on Ming and her co-belligerent ally Chu. A second war is declared shortly after on Ming's protectorate Ning.

rVJw0iO.png

9eR4JdL.png

Ning's three provinces are annexed in May, 1814. By then, Chu has also been occupied but so far refuses to make peace.
About 200.000 soldiers participate in the Battle of Taiyuan. Of course, the Grand Republic triumphed.

qYODG97.png

afhzJiu.png

Amsterdam decides not to annex Chiu because of the extra diplomatic power cost involved. Ming is defeated on 14 May, 1815 and they cede 17 provinces to the Grand Republic.

1ebZsbJ.png

By passing the diplomatic annexation act in November, 1815, the integration of Bavaria and Savoy completes.
The 3rd Amsterdammer-Lithuanian Imperialist War begins on 2 April, 1816.

BJi5D9B.png

Jow83ba.png

At the Battle of Bratslav, all Lithuanian soldiers find a painful death while only a few Amsterdammer die. Serfordm is officially abolished in April, 1817.

smsdhAu.png

L7jrOxs.png

The required war score to demand full annexation of Lithuania is 104. This means the Lithuanias surive but they are at least reduced to a one-province-minor based in Minsk.
On 1 April, 1818, the truce with Ming is broken. They have to get annexed. At all costs! Chu sides with them.

Z8lEvcq.png

sxr1MO9.png

3EQgszd.png

Chu's army dies in May, 1818. Ming's army has been killed a few days after the declaration of war. War is then declared on Malacca which has completed westernized and is thereby no longer an Amsterdammer protectorate.
By August, 1818, the majority of Ming has been occupied and the war is expected to end soon.

wORxLJy.png

iqmlNdD.png

In Mid-August, war is then declared on Sweden after the truce with them has expired. Later that month, the full annexation of Chu is then demanded. War Score with Ming is also at 100% but a peace treaty is not yet signed with them.

ZgVu0Ft.png

UQEapxr.png

Amsterdam is forced to break their truce with Lithuania in order to get rid of them. This is done on 25 September, 1818. Stability is now at -3. Oh well. The citizens of Amsterdam smell world conquest in the air.
It takes only 2 months to beat Lithuania and to demand their full annexation. By the end of the year, 100% War Score has also been reached with Sweden. Malacca is the last independent, unoccupied country still standing.

jF4ABuq.png

l8erw4p.png

But not for long! After 98 days, the massive fortifications in Mentawai fall and Malacca gets annexed! Not only Malacca gets annexed but also Ming and Sweden. All on the very same day: 10 January, 1819! World Conquest completed!
Amsterdam is now sitting on 220% overextension but in the streets of Amsterdam, the people celebrate!

qY6pbU9.png

dhrrgFV.png

Ledger View:

eavzX8u.png

lm7GBTV.png

OcBu5Oh.png

ZqTWmTO.png

Author Comments

I want to thank all of you for reading, following and participating in this mildly interactive AAR. Hopefully, you had as much fun than I had. This AAR would not have been possible without you guys! I appreciate all your comments and suggestions that you have provided me with throughout the course of this campaign.

I'd love to hear your feedback, positive and negative. What should I considering changing in future AARs? I hope to see you again when I start a new AAR. I don't know when this will happen and right now my initial plan of doing an AAR with full-interactivity is on hold - I still have permission from the mods to do one but we'll see when I get around to do that. Chances are that my next are might not be one with full-interactivity.
As mentioned before, I'm quite busy with my university studies. After I've turned my bachelor thesis in, I'll most likely start a new AAR (end of November).

So, this concludes The Amsterdammer Way. Would would have thought at the start of the campaign that it would end in a world conquest? I certainly haven't had his planned :cool:
If you guys want some more screenshots then let me know. I can also upload any of the save games I took throughout this campaign.

Cheers!

Reactions: