• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I agree with you that it can be irritating to have one Catholic CN and the rest Reformed. The best way to keep your options open will be to use the Colonial Regions map mode and only put four colonies per region until the Reformation starts and you choose religion. Then convert those colonies first, add a fifth colony to each region and your CNs now share your religion.

Reactions:
First of all, congratulations on the progress. You got a LOT done in 50 years and this chapter was good too. Taking Calais is a daring move, but it'll be interesting to see what the French do. Grabbing Hamburg was quite the opportunistic move, nice one on that. I highly suggest removing the eyesore that is Friesland as soon as possible, possibly by declaring on an ally or some such, assuming they're still a Free City will be a pain to deal with.

Issue 1: War
Option 1: Expand into Northern Germany

As you stated, we have lands to connect here. There's still some centers of trade and such to be conquered. The implosion of Denmark and The Hansa means this is easier than ever. Assuming you are by now on patch 1.13 (can you confirm this?), AE will no longer be a problem unless you fall into a suicidal fit. What we don't own of the lowlands is less valuable, the lands are mostly French and Wallonian whereas German would be a closer fit. Lastly, but most importantly, the French will desire Calais soon enough, there is no reason to gives us more of a border and antagonize them even more while we still have other options for expansion.

Issue 2: Defender of the Faith

Option 2: No.

You don't need the missonary, the war exhaustion reduction is useful but not vital (I doubt you fight a lot of protracted losing wars, most are relatively short wars of opportunity), which basically leaves you with a morale bonus at 500 gold. It's not worth it, especially since I was quite shocked by our economic situation. We've done everything reasonably possible to secure trade, expanded a ton, but with the heavy use of mercs and other expenses, you're barely breaking even with the budget. Or were you reinforcing at that point? I suggest buying inflation down at least once in the near future.

Issue 3: Papal Influence

Option 3: Sanction Commercial Monopoly

Mercantilism is always good as a trade empire, it's a permanent bonus (the only one) and the only guaranteed way to gain mercantilism in the game. The other bonuses are more situational, although I have taken the stability and the tax in the past. In your case I'd still go for mercantilism. In line with @londoner247 I wonder, will you go for Protestantism? I feel it fits thematically and the aspect system is good. I'd pay close attention, even when I plan on going Protestant I always miss the boat and am not among the first three and don't get a center of reformation. Reformed is good as well and I feel that with the smallish amounts of territory, it's maybe even feasible to switch twice... If you switch to Protestantism, try to not have too much leftover PI, would be a waste. (Just a tip, the rate at which you gain papal influence is modifed by the pope's opinion. I assume you no, but if not, if you have a diplomat with nothing to do, have him ogle at Rome).

Edit: I just saw you commented on the religion situation, I'll leave my thoughts here (the Netherlands have been a very classical protestant region) but I don't mind either way and we can always put it to a vote.

Issue 4: Scotland

Option 2: Keep Scotland as a vassal!

You're good enough of a player to keep the LD in check (be wary of the fixed +LD from development). You can feed them a little more if you want, but it's mostly just too costly to integrate them right now. We need both the explo ideas and our dip tech. You could even upgrade them to a march, seeing as how you're low on manpower at the moment. Having Amsterdam blob all over England isn't necessarily that appealing and who doesn't like the idea of you siccing 100.000 fearless kilts on the enemy, bagpipes 'n all.

In addition to that, you're right about tying up a diplomat. Might be fun to leave the empire at some point (during the thirty years war? I feel there's a narrative in there) to upgrade your government rank (for more diplomats and eventually leaders). I'm not sure how that works with republics though and if there's anything to be gained from that.

Reactions:
Issue 1: War
Option 1: Expand into Northern Germany
As others have mentioned, the longer you keep France at a distance and hope the inheritance doesn't happen, the better. Actually, I would also suggest to vassalize Denmark so you can control more fully both the Lubeck trade node and the Baltic sea by giving them their provinces back.

Issue 2: Defender of the Faith
Option 2: No
You most definitely don't need this now or ever really. It gives a couple of cool modifiers but also increases tech expense, not to mention that as soon as the Reformation starts you could get called into a lot of wars.

Issue 3: Papal Influence
Option 3: Sanction Commercial Monopoly
It's the best thing you can spend your Papal Influence on.

Issue 4: Scotland
Option 2: Keep Scotland as a vassal

My suggestion would be to give them 3-5 more English provinces then integrate them at an opportune moment. You can either release Wales and feed them what's left of the English or you can just take them yourself.

Reactions:
I'm on mobile so won't quote your posts. Also please excuse any typos.

@Baron Tanks
Friesland is still an Imperial City. They declared a while ago a conquest war on Münster but settled for monetary reparations.
They are allied to Verden. If we declare war on Verden we'll try to conquer Friesland, too.

I wanted to take Calais to increase trade power in the Channel.

Our money situation is ok. Before taking the screenshot, we hired 4 regiments (non-mercenary) and built some buildings. We also support two colonies and the mercenaries aren't cheap.
A significant part in our income play raids on our neighbors. We always demand ducats in peace negotiations.

I don't think we get Netherlands events simce we are a custom nationz

We need 2 more development to upgrade out government rank. Works exactly like for monarchies.
Currently we have 298/300 development.

I don't like marches so Scotland will stay a vassal (unless the Raad votes to annex them)

@CorwinusJ
Forcing Denmark into vassalage sounds like a good plan but I don't want to occur more diplomatic relations penalties.
We have to either cancel an alliance or annex Scotland first.

Reactions:
We need 2 more development to upgrade out government rank. Works exactly like for monarchies.
Currently we have 298/300 development.

Can you do that without leaving the HRE? I guess you won't upgrade into a Kingdom so it should be no problem right? If it affords you an extra diplomat, I'd even be inclined to spend two points on development, you are very close. Some extra manpower is always welcome and wouldn't be a bad investment, around 100 points in total I guess? :)

Can you do that without leaving the HRE? I guess you won't upgrade into a Kingdom so it should be no problem right? If it affords you an extra diplomat, I'd even be inclined to spend two points on development, you are very close. Some extra manpower is always welcome and wouldn't be a bad investment, around 100 points in total I guess? :)
I don't think we will be able to upgrade until we leave the HRE even if we fulfill the development requirement. That's why we haven't spent the monarch power to reach 300 development.

Reactions:
I don't think we will be able to upgrade until we leave the HRE even if we fulfill the development requirement. That's why we haven't spent the monarch power to reach 300 development.

Alright fair enough, you'll get the development sooner or later anyway. I just wondered if it was maybe different with a Republic, but if it isn't it is not worth it right now.

I'm not sure exactly when we'll leave the HRE. Maybe once we can take on the French without Emperor support in a defensive war.
Open to suggestions and feedback on that matter.

It's just fun and variety. There's no actual need to leave the Empire, especially not as long as we're still fighting internally. It only makes our life easier, especially if you can ally the Emperor. I'm just thinking of interesting potential conflict, as you are rather rapidly consolidating your position (and the whole colonization game, while thematically appropriate and definitely to be continued, does not an exciting game make).

Reactions:
At some I want to leave the HRE sinply because we need the extra diplomat from the kingdom rank but as long as we still fight internal HRE wars that won't happen :)

Reactions:
Conquer the Low Countries
Lets the AE cool, now is the time to strike

No Defender of Faith
Too expensive right now

Sanction Commercial Monopoly
Mercantilism is the only permanent thing, and very useful for a trade empire.

Keep Scotland as vassal
They won't rebel anytime soon, and will colonize for you, and let you feed England to them.

Reactions:
This bug report suggests that the mercantilism isn't working at the moment - https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/1-13-holy-see-influence-error.879690/

I still think it is the right decision but, since you aren't playing Ironman, maybe you can check this if you do go with that option and use the console if necessary.

Also, today's hot fix is said to have changed AE again because, apparently, it was too low as a result of a mathematical error so you may need to slow the conquest once you see just how much AE you get.

Reactions:
This bug report suggests that the mercantilism isn't working at the moment - https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/1-13-holy-see-influence-error.879690/

I still think it is the right decision but, since you aren't playing Ironman, maybe you can check this if you do go with that option and use the console if necessary.

Also, today's hot fix is said to have changed AE again because, apparently, it was too low as a result of a mathematical error so you may need to slow the conquest once you see just how much AE you get.
Can I give myself papal influence with the console? I would need more papal influence to test whether the decision gives +1 mercantilism or not..

I hope the new AE levels won't affect us too much.

Assembly of the Raad of Amsterdam, 1 March, 1498 (Part II)

Not every delegate decided to vote; therefore it takes the Raadpensionaris only a short time to count all the votes. He is pleased to announce that on three of the four issues, the Raad voted unanimously.

Dear delegates of our prosperous republic,
I just finished counting all the votes and would like to make you aware of the results:

1. Amsterdam will prepare for an invasion of Northern Germany. I'd like to mention that this was the closest of all four votes.
  2. The Grand Republic won't claim the title Defender of the Catholic Faith for now as it is too costly.
  3. I will ask the Pope to sanction a commercial monopoly once we have 100 Papal Influence.
  4. The Duke of Scotland will be delighted that Amsterdam will not start integrating them just yet.
That is all I have to say for now. As tradition has it, those who want to feast with me in the Old Hall are welcomed to stay. The speciality tonight is a rare type of venison from our colony in Greenland. It arrived just this morning from Eiriksfjord.

FAtyHIE.jpg

Reactions:
The feast shall be grand. Looking forward to the next update and curious what kind of unplanned shenanigans you get into this time :)
I certainly hope that things go as planned but in EU IV you never know :D We're about to find out.

Chapter VII - No Trouble On The Horizon

The session of the Raad of Amsterdam is over. von Habsburg returns to his chambers after the banquet. Especially the venison was delicious.
von Habsburg begins working on a plan to conquer Stade and notices that Verden, the owner of Stade, is allied to the hated Free Imperial City of Friesland. A perfect opportunity to conquer them both in a single war.
Anton Tormentorres, Bishop of Utrecht, dies at the age of 91. It is rumored that this prestigious office will be given to an ally of Amsterdam once again.

oPUe60P.jpg

In April, an army of mercenaries is ready to attack Stade; regular troops are stationed in Arnhem. The time for war has come - von Habsburg leads the sell-swords into battle! Verden is joined not only by Friesland but also by the Teutons and Mecklenburg.

RxyOZXX.png

The mercenaries wipe-out Verden's army which seemed to be unprepared for this attack.
War taxes are raised to increase income.
Friesland tries to occupy Arnhem but fails when von Habsburg and his mercenaries defeat them just in time.

anXTaAa.png

In October, 1498, administrative technology advances and soon after, von Habsburg passes the Act of Uniformity which increases missionary strength by +1%.
Stade gets occupied by Amsterdammer forces after a 146 day long siege. Mecklenburg and other enemy forces still need to be defeated though.

fD1BuVO.png

gTXlcBK.png

von Bassenheim is still looking for the seven cities and while he is exploring Chisca, he meets a tribe called Osage. There he finds a woman that speaks many languages. A loan worth 178 ducats is taken and the woman and her husband who is working as a trapper are hired.

BMTZ6AK.png

The Teutons manage to occupy Oldenburg and Emden - the mercenaries commanded by von Habsburg were too late to prevent that from happening. The mercenaries then make an effort in reconquering them.
On 25 September, 1499, Mecklenburg gets forced out of the war by paying some gold as well as monthly war reparations.

EWANxs8.jpg

aIvy8Ek.png

Not much later, on 7 December, 1499, Friesland gets annexed by Amsterdam. This generates a lot of aggressive expansion with neighboring countries because Friesland was not part of the war goal. However, this was a good opportunity to finally get rid of this Imperial City and that's why von Habsburg agreed to do it.
Amsterdam repays her loan which it owed to Florentine bankers shortly after Friesland is annexed.

oJpH3GP.png

On January 1, von Habsburg passes decree which gives every settler a plot of land to farm if they move to the colonies. There is plenty of land for everyone. Soon, enough men and women agree to leave the Low Countries for Barahonas in the Caribbean.

fH33tgT.png

Amsterdammer spies were working on fabricating a claim on Bremen when the news arrived in the capital that Münster has declared war on the former Hanseatic city! It looks like Amsterdam is too late to conquer the city. It is estimated that it takes another half a year before the claim will be fabricated. Damn you, Münster!
von Habsburg leaves the Low Countries for Rome. He has business with the Pope. First Coin Rendsburg rules in his name over the Grand Republic.

zThFuxs.jpg

yq7F9ev.png

The war with Verden comes an en end on July 27, 1500, with the annexation of Stade.
Bremen is the only missing province to connect Hamburg with the capital via a direct land route. Too bad that Münster is about to conquer it.

YtGYw0Y.png

On 3 December, von Habsburg writes the delegates of the Raad of Amsterdam a letter from Rome in which he informs them of his progress with the Pope.

Dear Delegates,
I am pleased to inform you that two days ago, Iulius II has agreed to sanction an Amsterdammer commercial monopoly. I will stay in Rome a little longer and then explore Italy more. The Florentines have conquered most of Central Italy. Given that they lend us money quite regularly, I feel it is important that I pay them a visit.

Signed by Isjbrecht von Habsburg, Raadpensionaris of Amsterdam.
qPdfPZW.png

Rendsburg receives another letter, this time from Amsterdam's ally Castile. Alfonso XII Gálvez declared war on Aragon! France, among others, sides with Aragon.
When von Habsburg returns to the capital from his journey to Rome and Florence, he is surprised that the delegates have not yet heard of Naples separate declaration of war on the Aragonese. Naples lays claim on Sicily; Castile wants to conquer Alicante.

l97LjzZ.png

The war between Münster and Bremen is still not over by September, 1501. That's when Ijsbrecht von Habsburg decides to visit Wien to convince Rudolf V on Habsburg, Archduke of Austria, to join him in a war against Münster.
Rudolf agrees and war is declared the following month.

KnY8ZEt.png

von Bassenheim continues to look for the seven cities. Some start to believe that they don't exist and are just a myth. In Michigan, however, he finds beautiful diamonds. These he sends back to the capital. They arrive in the port of Antwerp. The merchants immediately notice that these glimmering rocks are not diamonds. So much effort for nothing!

lR27HMK.png

Bremen gets annexed by Münster on 9 December, 1501. Amsterdammer forces begin to besiege the city immediately to prevent the enemy from coring it.
The Holy Roman Empire is attacked by the Polish who declared war on Bohemia! Who will triumph in this battle of giants? Poland and her ally Lithuania or the Imperial forces led by Emperor Wilhelm I?

yLC7qLc.png

kgGqO8a.png

On 1 May, 1502, Palcentia becomes the first self-sustaining Amsterdammer colony! What wonderful news. More settlers are now willing to move to Newfoundland.
The siege of Bremen lasts for 226 days. The war is going well even though Amsterdam has suffered a few losses mostly because Austria doing absolutely nothing to help Amsterdam in this war.
Heck, Austria's 26.000 men do nothing even when Nassau and Münster invade their homeland! All they do is sit in in Linz drinking beer.

OxqWLCv.jpg

While the war in Europe continues, the settlers in Barahonas notice that their land is particularly fertile. They experimented with various crops and found out that it is best used for a sugar plantation.
Aachen is defeated in February, 1503. They pay 147 ducats to Amsterdam.

fFbIKQb.png

The Handelsgilde has problems with Sweden. Their merchants are having too much influence in common trade nodes. That's why von Habsburg agrees to embargo them after being pressured by First Coin Rendsburg.

Vh2y2MB.png

On 10 July, 1503, the war with Münster comes to an end and results in Münster ceding three of her provinces to Amsterdam including Bremen. The coast from the capital to Hamburg is now under Amsterdammer control!

XK0xxGD.png

Castile's attempt to conquer Alicante fails miserably. They have no choice but to give Toledo and Cuenca to Aragon and release Galicia as sovereign state.
Poland's conquest of Bohemia is going well. The Holy Roman Emperor fails at protecting his member states against foreign aggressors. What a disaster!

ShAj6Kt.png

On 19 November, 1503, Amsterdam finally completes Exploration Ideas. This gives the Grand Republic a casus belli against primitives.

p8NliHR.png

xXMGiPj.png

26.000 Waldensian Heretics spawn in the Low Countries. An army that was on its way to the Americas to declare war on primitives has to be called back. Trouble on the horizon..
After the provinces that had been taken from Münster are cored, Westphalian comes an accepted culture within the Grand Republic.

zPZ6BFu.png

After the newly gained territory is cored, Westphalian becomes an accepted culture of the Grand Republic.

NYpE2bJ.png

In May, 1504, mercenary recruitment is researched and Amsterdammer Ideas advance which means that separatism now lasts 10 years less than normally.
Poland annexes Raitor, Beeslau and Glogau in June. The Holy Roman Empire lost the war against outside aggressors.

mR8dYoM.png

eXInE8t.png

Eririksford becomes self sustaining in August but because of increased reinforcement costs due to fighting the Waldensian rebels, von Habsburg decides not to settle more land for now.
This proves to be a wise decision. Austria rocks Amsterdam with a call to arms. They declared war on Venice and her strong allies to conquer Verona.
Hesitantly, the call to arms is honored. France also sids with Austria. Venice is joined by Poland, Savoy and the crusaders of The Knights.
With France on her side, Austria will surly win this war. The Raadpensionaris is quite sure of it.

mNGq5GU.png

Reactions:
A few comments on the last chapter; in no particular order. A lot happened during those six years.

• So we were just called into a war with Austria. I don't think we should participate actively in it, despite having honoured the call to arms.
  • Our campaign in Northern Germany was quite successuful. We will continue to expand into Northern Germany, at least until we have conquered Lübeck.
  • Our ally Castile really should not have declared war on Aragon :(
  • Naples is quite a power house.
  • Our ally Austria refused to use its military in our war against Münster.
  • The Holy Roman Empire lost a war against Poland.
  • The Waldensian rebels were more difficult to defeat than Münster.
  • We are the only colonizer in the Caribbean and North America so far.
  • Our explorer has already reached the Cape of Good Hope.
  • We will soon declare war on the primitivse in North America now that we have completed Exploration Ideas.

Last edited:
Reactions: