• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Melik88

Recruit
4 Badges
Jun 22, 2019
  • Surviving Mars
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
Description
PS4 shuts down because of overheating

Other

What is your game version?
Do you have Space Race installed?

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
While playing the fan for the ps4 never kicks in, no matter how long I play ore how much is going on on the screen.
And then after some time the ps4 shuts down, either after a warning screen saying that it shuts down because of overheating ore it simply shuts down (and than when I touch the top of the console it’s hot as hell)

But the weird part is, the second I go into the pause screen ore statistics ore the library (any menu that pauses the game) the fan kicks in, but not in a healthy way.
The fan sounds like it’s tryin to kill itself.

I mean when I play no mans sky ore battlefront 2 the ps4 try’s to fly away, that’s how loud the fan is, but in surviving Mars it’s sounds really really bad.

Btw I have an ps4 pro

Can you replicate the issue?
Yes, every time i play that happens

Attachments

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0
Different games stress different components?
Still WHAT ?
All games need processing power, some more some less.
The more they need the more heat the cpu and gpu produces.
When there producing heat the fan starts cooling them ok.
But no matter how much heat surviving Mars produces the fan never ever starts spinning, ok you got that ? The PlayStation shuts down from overheating because the fan won’t cool while playing.
But if I don’t play the game, if I’m in the pause menu (nothing to process = less heat) than the fan starts spinning like its on steroids ore something.
That’s like if your car would need no gas while driving but 20 liters for standing with just the engine on.
Theres something wrong and I’m not the only one complaining

• 1Like
Reactions:
It generates enough heat to crash it, but not enough to spin up the fan. Could be the ps4 isn't pushing enough voltage to spin it up for some reason?
Theres something wrong and I’m not the only one complaining

That you are not:
https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/1rxgvq/psa_for_those_with_a_ps4_with_a_really_loud_fan/
https://www.reddit.com/r/consolerepair/comments/5z0sdy/ps4_fan_not_working_properly/
https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/8jz3b7/ps4_fan_not_spinning/

That doesn’t make sense for the reason that the fan works perfectly fine in every other game.
And also for the reason that the fan only kicks in while the game is paused.
In another thread here in the forum other people complained about the loud fan while in the menus.
I’m not alone.
Again not a problem of the ps4 it’s a problem from the game.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I have a similar proplem with my PS4 Pro. I play games such as No Man’s Sky on it and I have also noticed a noisy fan. However, in contrast to the OP who says their fan kicks in on the pause screen, mine settles down on the pause screen but seems to go into turbo mode during gameplay. I don’t have Surviving Mars on PS4, but rather I have it on XB, which has a silent fan. I have never had my PS4 Pro shut down though. So many people complain about noisy PS4 fans that I am of the opinion that it is a design issue. I was considering getting a new PS4 in the hope that later machines have had this issue rectified, but I believe the PS5 is being released next year, so I am holding off.

I have noticed that my PS4 fan is noisier during the summer months, when it’s a lot warmer in my house.

I have the following games on both PS4 Pro AND XB1X:

No Man’s Sky
Ark Survival
Elite Dangerous

On all three of the games on PS4 cause a noisy fan. No fan heard on XB.

I would say though, that if the overheating/no fan issue was due to the game’s programming, wouldn’t everybody who plays the game on PS4 be experiencing the same thing?

OP: do you have any way of playing Surviving Mars on another PS4 Pro, perhaps a friend’s, and seeing if you experience the same problem? Oh, and do you play Surviving Mars with any mods active?

Last edited:
I've just had a report this happens when you zoom in on the Excavator wonder. Is that what others in this thread see too?

[169547]

I've the exact same problem as Melik88.
BF V, NoMen's Sky also are running without any problems on my PS4 pro.
Surviving Mars as well, until there is a Mission Popup or I go to the pause Screen...
Then my Fan is going mental for a few seconds before the PS 4 is going Off because " overheating".
But it's not hot at all.
Any solutions?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I've the exact same problem as Melik88.
BF V, NoMen's Sky also are running without any problems on my PS4 pro.
Surviving Mars as well, until there is a Mission Popup or I go to the pause Screen...
Then my Fan is going mental for a few seconds before the PS 4 is going Off because " overheating".
But it's not hot at all.
Any solutions?

I learned that the games tell the console when and how to cool down with the fans, so it’s faulty programming from paradox (no surprise)

i played surviving mars a few more times over a longer period of time.
Always putting in brakes and let the PS4 cool down(went into the main ps4 menu after stopping the game)
Ps4 still shuts down because of overheating.
After a while I got frustrated and played other games where I never had a problem with a loud fan. like Spider-Man ore Doom ore battlefront 2.
Guess what ? The fan is spinning like crazy while playing these games (and also Witcher 3)
So I guess the thermal paste is “gone” the Console went to often to hot and the paste need replacement because it’s dried out.
Normally I would open the PS4 pro, clean it And replace the thermal paste and thermal pads but I still have warranty so I’m sending the console in.
hoping the new one /fixed one will be much more quieter.

And never playing surviving mars again until I get patch notes concerning this particular problem and that it fixes it.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Still no fix it seems. No overheating issue with God of War, FF7, or other high quality video video games, but a static text popup and than fan as to scream as the PS4 crashes on overheating. Seriously?!

MAC-1870
I am sorry for that. I have lodged a bug report on the issue, and linked it to every case I see here and in our ticket system. Hopefully that will raise the priority of the issue!

• 1Like
Reactions:
I am sorry for that. I have lodged a bug report on the issue, and linked it to every case I see here and in our ticket system. Hopefully that will raise the priority of the issue!
Thank you. I've seen some reports here on the forum as well as Reddit. I'm surprised the issue has been around for about 2 year by the looks of it.

Does anyone know or have tried forcing the ps4 pro's resolution to 1080p?

I had Tropico 6 and Witcher 3 go crazy and overheat, till i switched it from 4k to 1080p and its nignt and day.

It doesn't seem like it works with every game and I'm assuming this is more about the uncapped frame rate in menus, but i was just curious. Its on sale right now and want to grab it, but have zero interest in dealing with that noise.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Trying the game at 1080.
Just got a popup and the fan is still screaming.
It's been about 5 minutes on the popup screen. The PS4 pro sounds very unhappy but no overheat warning yet.

Why uncap the framerate on menus? Who needs high framerates in a menu system?

I don't see a way to only run this game in 1080, this would have to beca system change every time I want to play it. Like disabling the network when I wanted to play Just Cause 3 (that's now be fixed tho)

Trying the game at 1080.
Just got a popup and the fan is still screaming.
It's been about 5 minutes on the popup screen. The PS4 pro sounds very unhappy but no overheat warning yet.

Why uncap the framerate on menus? Who needs high framerates in a menu system?

I don't see a way to only run this game in 1080, this would have to beca system change every time I want to play it. Like disabling the network when I wanted to play Just Cause 3 (that's now be fixed tho)

I have no idea. Lots of games uncap the frame rate in the menus on the pro. Days gone, Assassins creed Origins, Outer worlds, Doom eternal...basically most bigger, new games seem like they are devastated by going to the menus or inventory/map screens, in my experience.

I never had these issues on my slim. I know, just the past week booting tropico 6 and Witcher 3 up, they had my ps4 going crazy. Both sounded like the ps4 was exploding. I went to the resolution output on the ps4 and forced 1080 and have barely heard the ps4 make much a sound at all.

I don't think it works on every game. I was hopeful it may alleviate the issue though. I really want to play this.

Description
PS4 shuts down because of overheating

Other

What is your game version?
Do you have Space Race installed?

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
While playing the fan for the ps4 never kicks in, no matter how long I play ore how much is going on on the screen.
And then after some time the ps4 shuts down, either after a warning screen saying that it shuts down because of overheating ore it simply shuts down (and than when I touch the top of the console it’s hot as hell)

But the weird part is, the second I go into the pause screen ore statistics ore the library (any menu that pauses the game) the fan kicks in, but not in a healthy way.
The fan sounds like it’s tryin to kill itself.

I mean when I play no mans sky ore battlefront 2 the ps4 try’s to fly away, that’s how loud the fan is, but in surviving Mars it’s sounds really really bad.

Btw I have an ps4 pro

Can you replicate the issue?
Yes, every time i play that happens

Attachments
This was an issues several system software updates ago. The problem was the system allowed the a game to overflow into system space that effected the fan. If this has occurred again I would hope it is for a different reason. The previous fix required cooperation between Sony and the developer. Also took months to be fixed, I hope your bug doesn’t take too long to fix. I have since upgraded so I can’t help further.