• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

williehk

Recruit
14 Badges
Mar 2, 2019
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Surviving Mars
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
Description
Game freezes, except can pan camera

Windows

Steam

What is your game version?
Do you have Space Race installed?

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
Same exact save file, game freezes a few moments after opening the save file.
Radio runs on, can pan camera
Everything else freeze in place

Can you replicate the issue?
Yes, just open the save file.

Attachments

Attachments

• Blue Sun Corporation Sol 4.savegame.sav
    30,6 MB · Views: 9
Upvote 0
Has this happened in other of your playthroughts or just with this one? You're playing with quite the number of mods, so it's a bit harder to test and pinpoint the problem without more information. You could also attach a log file from C:\Users\{Username}\AppData\Roaming\Surviving Mars\logs\ (load the save again, then after the freeze close the game and find the latest log).

Most of the time it hangs within seconds opening the save file.
I've done this very similar building patterns before on an old i7 4770k rig, it maxed out to around 12 diamonds domes, with mostly identical mods, then it started to lag around sol 420 and the game freeze happened exactly the manner as in this new save file.

The save file above is a redo of the same building style on a new Ryzen 2700X rig, but sadly it won't even survive the initial setup phase.

Tried 2 different times from scratch on the new rig and a few different things, the furthermost I could go is bit less than a quarter into Sol 5, the save itself is at the very end of Sol 4, so basically applying the fixes, reset the ECM etc prolonged it for roughly a few minutes then it freezes again. The followings are my observations:

Turning off the ECM mod -> still freeze
Resetting ECM, apply most fixes etc. -> prolonged a few minutes
Turning off the shuttle hubs and drone hubs -> still freeze
Removing 32GB RAM (I have 4X16 DDR4 from 2 different brands) -> still freeze

Attachments

• MarsSteam.exe-20190306-17.33.37-5c52f4f5.log
    31,9 KB · Views: 25
You can't really get rid of the effects from a mod once you've started a game, even if you turn it off - a lot of the changes from the mod persist and become a permanent part of the game state.

If you can reproduce the problem in a fresh game started without any mods, we'll gladly take a look at a savegame.

Last edited:
No offense but honestly, I expect a builder game to be a bit more fault tolerant than that, obviously playing without mods at that scale takes a long time.
I suspect a blocking loop occurred somewhere as a result of using ECM to change certain building radius, I kinda remember I did the same thing in the old rig before the deadlock happened.
I can try to reproduce it again later on.

No offence taken.

The game is quite complex as it is, and we barely manage to make sure it works by itself; we're far from the capacity to test with mods, even popular ones.
The lack of fault tolerance is the flip side of the freedom and flexibility of the modding interface.

Remember which radiuses you changed, or which menu setting you used?
Mostly Triboelectric Scrubber, drone hub and missle turret.
On one instance I tried to reset the ECM, on the right most tab, reload the ECM, then applied the 'fix most' fix, that helped to prolong the game life by a few minutes.

Well if you still want to play, I've got a script you can run to fix/remove the freeze:
Load the game and pause it so it won't freeze then press Tilde or Enter to open the console, then click Tools>Exec Code, paste this code in and press the green exec code button

Code:
local function dronehubcleanup(self)
    -- calling :DisconnectTaskRequesters() will inf loop it so we do it manually
    self.can_control_drones = false
    local task_reqs = self.connected_task_requesters or ""
    for i = #task_reqs, 1, -1 do
        task_reqs[i]:RemoveCommandCenter(self)
        table.remove(task_reqs,i)
    end
    self.are_requesters_connected = false

-- reset work radius to default
    self:SetWorkRadius(35)

-- reconnect task reqs
    self:ConnectTaskRequesters()
    self.can_control_drones = true
end

local function Cleanup()
    local objs = UICity.labels.DroneHub or ""
    for i = #objs, 1, -1 do
        local obj = objs[i]
        if IsValid(obj) then
            dronehubcleanup(obj)
        end
    end

local objs = UICity.labels.Colonist or ""
    for i = #objs, 1, -1 do
        local obj = objs[i]
        if IsValid(obj) then
            obj:delete()
        end
        table.remove(objs,i)
    end
end
Cleanup()
This will delete all the colonists and reset the dronehub radius, you may not need to delete the colonists, but I'm not installing all those mods to test :)

Hi there, thanks for the help
The script helps to push a bit further, I turned off the ECM mod, reloaded the game, turned back on ECM, then the script, ran on for roughly 5 minutes then deadlock again.
2nd try go straight back into loading the same save file, seems to have no effect, colonists not gone but instant freeze again.

I turned off the ECM mod, reloaded the game, turned back on ECM
Not sure why you'd do that?

Did this freeze happen just after you selected something, or what were you doing just before it froze?

I turned off the ECM mod, reloaded the game, turned back on ECM
Not sure why you'd do that?

Did this freeze happen just after you selected something, or what were you doing just before it froze?

No particular reason, I left the ECM disabled when I last tried days ago.

It seems the script only works for the first time, in the subsequent attempts it freezes still within seconds opening the save, and no I did not click anything beside the console script.

Then there's likely more then the two issues wrong with the save :)
I doubt it's the radius though, as that just make some lists larger. It might slow stuff down, but an inf loop seems unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.