• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

starchitect

Gestalt Consciousness
63 Badges
Sep 6, 2016
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
With the coming changes to sectors, I thought I might add a few thoughts here. I would like to see sectors act as mini-economies that attempt balance themselves internally, or at least receive bonuses if they manage to do so. If a sector can produce everything it consumes, it should receive a small efficiency boost for not having to import things, if it has a big surplus of something, perhaps it could get a minor boost from exports.

The goal here is not just realism for realism's sake, but an interesting mechanic that would allow sectors released as vassals to be viable on their own. And following, at some point, the idea of sector revolts that could actually maintain themselves. Right now, most of my sectors have horribly balanced economies because unless the sector happens to have an Agri world in it, I probably wont build farms, or without a Mining world, mines. There is no in game reason to actually balance your sector economy, and if one of my sectors somehow became independent it would collapse in ruin. I released the mod Local Production to provide some counter incentives to this at the planet level, but Id like to see more than is currently actually possible to mod.

Basic idea
Every Resource within a sector must be net positive, and if not the sector should automatically purchase that resource from the market, deducting from its own energy income. If it falls short, the balance is deducted from your empire income. This would mean not having enough food or minerals in a sector to feed it would have a cost- since generally the market is more expensive than producing it locally.

Second, a percentage of all excess production in a sector should be automatically sold to the market. The net result of this and the first point would be that sectors would internally trade with each other, like a real economy. How much that percentage that is sold could be modified by governors, sector policies, or distance from capital. Core sectors would send their resources directly to your stockpiles, yet frontier sectors largely would not, instead selling to the market and sending you energy credits as taxes. Sector designations may modify this, so perhaps a mining sector sends less of its minerals to the market, but more returns directly to your stockpile, you similarly could have agri sectors, forge sectors, and industrial sectors.

I know any mention of sectors and automation will likely get cries of but the sector AI is terrible- but this thread is not about that. I generally agree with the idea that I would like much of the late game micro management be outsourced to sectors. I think this might actually help the sector AI, because it is easier to tell the AI that it needs to build farming districts when it is buying food, or mining districts when it is importing minerals, than to try and teach it to look for planet modifiers and how to specialize planets optimally.

Modding Trigger Request
While I would love to see the above in vanilla, I understand it may be a tall order. However, I would like the ability to do some of this on my own. To do that there are two major triggers that need to be added so that mods can take advantage of local deficits/surpluses. If @grekulf and team could add these I and other modders would have a field day:

Planet Income
Code:
Checks specific resource income value for the planet scope:
planet_resource_income_compare = {
    resource = <resource_name>
    value ><= <value>
}

and
Sector Income
Code:
Checks specific resource income value for the sector scope:
sector_resource_income_compare = {
    resource = <resource_name>
    value ><= <value>
}

Its extra frustrating now since these values are calculated in game and displayed in the planet/sector view, but there is no way of grabbing that value to use as a trigger. The ability to check those would add a huge amount of modding potential.

Last edited:
Upvote 0