• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I saved an icon as .tga, but when I converted it to .dds it didn't come out right. The transparent background was replaced by a black one, the icon was distorted and the image wasn't even the same dimensions. A little guide would be much appreciated, I can't find anything useful when it comes to making icons.

I have done everything else correct according to this thread, by the way.

What program are you using to edit the files?

GIMP, using the version of the templates provided by Hroppa.

Hmm... I'm not sure what happened then. I just tested Hroppa's GIMP versions and they seem fine. Without knowing exactly what process you used, it's hard to say where it went wrong, but here's how I went about it when I tested:

1. Opened Hroppa's XCF version of the template
  2. Deleted the layers of the template I wasn't going to use (in this case, all but the red heart)
  3. Exported as a TGA
  4. Opened that TGA (it came out fine) and exported as a DDS through the DDS plugin for GIMP
  5. Opened the DDS (it also came out fine)

There are a few things to be aware of when working in GIMP:

1. With GIMP it isn't necessary to export an image as a TGA file before you export a DDS version. (But it's always good practice to keep an uncompressed "master" version in a format like GIMP's native XCF or TGA.)
  2. The GIMP DDS plugin has issues with exporting images which are on multiple layers, so once you've created your icon (and saved in another format!) it's better to select all (ctrl+A on PC), copy visibile (shift+ctrl+c), then paste as a new image (shift+ctrl+v) and export the new image as a DDS.
  3. The DDS format has a bunch of different compression options and selecting the wrong one can ruin your output image. I suggest reading the Wikipedia page on the DDS format for some quick tips on which option is suitable for your image, but in the case of very small small images it's generally best to avoid compression altogether. If saving 1k or so on file size is really important, use compressed TGA instead; it has loss-less compression which works reasonably well on icon type images and still reduces the file size. (Though do note that with CK2 TGA and DDS are not always interchangeable. You can't save the religious icons in TGA format, for example.)

Whoops, I forgot I was hosting these through my old forum; they were left behind during the server move. I'll see if I can find the archive and reupload it somewhere else.

Edit: Added a working link.

Thanks a bunch. These look really useful!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/wjh9fs8zq5ftrko/k_government_icon.7z
Here's the government one at least.

GcT15SU.png

Reactions:
You know, you can use .tga files as icons directly right?

To what are you referring?
The .png are just for preview and are almost universally browser compatible, the download archives contain a .psd which are the actual "templates".

These are really great, puts my puny attempt at a government-icon lookalike to shame.

Did you create them from scratch, or retroengineer the vanilla icons somehow?

In this instance I used the clone, healing and a 1-pixel pencil tool to blend out the nomad horse that was there originally.

There was a discussion above about converting the tga to dds. The point I was making, traits can be done as pure tgas.

Decided to upload some "neutral" personality icons. EK has had these for awhile and I know other mods are using similar but maybe there will be more that may want to use these to save time. They're the vanilla personality traits, but without any "vices" or "virtues" as they don't tend to exist in fantasy worlds, or rather they're only viewed as vices or virtues by certain gods.

Jh3zThr.png

personality.7z

Attachments

• personality.7z
    46 KB · Views: 108
Rank Icon Template

DOWNLOAD
If you're making the standard strip copy and paste the "Standard Alpha" to the alpha channel.
If you're making the greyscale strip, as above and make sure the "Greyscale" layer is active and the blend mode is still "Color".
If you're making the "highlighted" strip, make sure you selection layer is active and copy+paste the "Selected Alpha" to the alpha channel.

The template is set for up to 7 ranks. If you're making more, extend the width of the image by 25 pixels per additional frame. Copy and paste an existing frame, shadow and colour into the new slot(s). On the colour layer you can paint in whatever colour you want. For the frame colour I'd recommend using Hue/Saturation, Colorise and use the sliders to find your desired colour.
If you'd like to make less than 7 ranks, simply crop out the frames you don't need :)

As with any of my resource releases, there's no restrictions on usage or anything like that. If you want to leave a thanks or a "Helpful", it's appreciated.

If you'd like to know how to add additional ranks beyond the default 4, you can do so in the spoiler below.
After creating your sprite strip as a .tga 32bit or a .dds (I use 8.8.8.8 ARGB as it's lossless). Create a new .gfx file for your modification. For each custom ranks graphic you need to add a sprite entry including the total number of frames in the file (this is the maximum number of ranks you'd like to have for that society), you'll see here I have 7 frames set. Unlike some other sprite files, Ranks are not zero-indexed;
Code:
    spriteType = {
        name = "GFX_fighters_society_ranks"
        texturefile = "gfx\\interface\\societies\\rank_icons_fighters.dds"
        noOfFrames = 7
    }
    spriteType = {
        name = "GFX_fighters_society_ranks_highlight"
        texturefile = "gfx\\interface\\societies\\rank_icons_fighters_highlight.dds"
        noOfFrames = 7
    }
    spriteType = {
        name = "GFX_fighters_society_ranks_locked"
        texturefile = "gfx\\interface\\societies\\rank_icons_fighters_locked.dds"
        noOfFrames = 7
    }

You'd then simply add 7 different ranks to your society.
Code:
fighters_guild_tamriel = {
    primary_attribute = martial
    society_ranks_gfx = fighters_society_ranks
    opinion_to_other_members = +10
    opinion_per_rank_above = +5
    sound = hermetic_society_interface
    non_interference = {
        always = yes
    }

active = {
        always = yes
    }
    indestructible = yes

can_join_society = {
    }

show_society = {
    }

potential = {
    }

#Associate > Protector > Defender > Warder > Guardian > Champion > Master
    society_rank = {
        level = 1
        limit = 80
        startup_limit = 40
    }
    society_rank = {
        level = 2
        limit = 60
        startup_limit = 30
    }
    society_rank = {
        level = 3
        limit = 40
        startup_limit = 20
    }
    society_rank = {
        level = 4
        limit = 20
        startup_limit = 10
    }
    society_rank = {
        level = 5
        limit = 10
        startup_limit = 5
    }
    society_rank = {
        level = 6
        limit = 5
        startup_limit = 2
    }
    society_rank = {
        level = 7
        limit = 1
        startup_limit = 1
    }

plots = {
    }

monthly_currency_gain = {
        name = currency_name_fighters_guild_tamriel
    }

member_score_per_attribute = 1
    member_score_per_rank = 100

member_score = {
        value = 10
    }

startup_populate = {
    }
}

That's literally all there is to it. Very simple :D

There is of course the problem of the rank UI segment being a little off in alignment with extra ranks. That needs some tweaking of the x/y values, possible alteration to orientation and so on. I haven't perfected that part of it myself yet though either.

Last edited: