• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Historical Prologue

Silverio90

Second Lieutenant
4 Badges
Dec 3, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
Per Aspera ad Astra – The Tale of the Roman Resurgence

Welcome ladies and gentlemen of Paradox Forums in my first (and serious) attempt to write an AAR.

I’ve decided to play as the Comes of Hydrunton, a small province at the heel of the Italian Peninsula. I’ve made a custom character, of dinasty ab Domnus, giving him the Roman culture and the Orthodox religion; he is a God-like ruler (Divus, in latin words), recurrent in Classic mithology (like Romulus or Hercules). I’ll play with the Historical Immersion Project mod.

I’m not writing to present a simple succession of events but I’ll try to show the story (obviously fictional) that lies behind the History: I’ll try to indetify myself in the characters so the result will be that I won’t pursuit some particular goals and I could take some self-destructive choice, maybe…

But first, let’s take a view on the historical context of the years that come before the Anno Domini 867, our start date.

In the beginning of 8th century Byzantine emperor Justinian II asked Khan Tervel for assistance in recovering his throne, for which Tervel received the Byzantine title Caesar. Tervel later aided Emperor Leo III the Isaurian in repelling the Second Arab Siege of Constantinople. Under the warrior Khan Krum Bulgaria expanded northwest and south, occupying the lands between the middle Danube and Moldova rivers Sofia and Adrianople, and threatening Constantinople itself. Under Boris I Bulgarians became orthodox Christians, and the Ecumenical Patriarch agreed to allow an autonomous Bulgarian Archbishop.

In these turmoils Basileios took the Porfirean throne and named himself Basileus tōn Rhōmaiōn, King of the Rhomei (Romans who speak greek).

With the death of Louis the Pious, Lothaire I took the imperial throne, as his dead father wanted, but the two brothers Ludwig the German and Charles the Bald formed an alliance to obligate Lothaire to cede a part of his power: with the Treaty of Verdun Lothair kept the imperial crown but he only governed on the territories (in 867 the king is his son Lothaire II) between the kingdom of Francia Occidentalis (France) of Charles and the kingdom of Francia Orientalis of Ludwig (Germany) while Louis II, son of Lothaire I, received the Italy.

ck2_1.png

Last edited:
Chapter I: Ab exiguis profecta initiis… (From humble origins…)
Chapter I: Ab exiguis profecta initiis… (From humble origins…)

“Mummy, I’m scared!” a baby cried. The young woman picked up her child visibly frightened by the rainfall outside.

“Shh, calm down darling. The storm will pass soon.” and she kissed his cheek but the child didn’t seem to be relieved.

“You said the same about daddy but he isn’t here yet…” he sighed “I think he forgot me…”

“Oh honey, don’t be silly. He can’t forg…” the sound of a hunting horn broke the air followed by the screaming of the townspeople. The body of the girl started to tremble so much that also her hair seemed moved by an invisible threat.

“Darling, hide! And don’t get out until mummy will tell you!” said in a whisper.

“But…mummy…why?”

“GO!” But the kid didn’t manage to follow her directive that a browny man smashed the door of their house, mace in hand. His eyes, dark as his long bloody moustache, moved across the barren room and settled between the skinny legs of the woman. Instinctively, she charged at him to protect the child but, without breaking a sweat, he knocked her on the table and ripped her already consumed dress: the screams of pleasure of the man merged with her cries of pain. Meanwhile, at the corner of the room, the child tore in silence trying not to make a noise and seeing all the scene.

“Aaah…AAAH…Karolos…honey…help me…AAAH...honey…” screamed his mum sobbing “Please…AAAH…”

The child didn’t make a move, trembling, his eyes full of tears. “Mummy…I-I can’t…” FIGHT! a voice in his head screamed FIGHT! this voice became louder “Karolos…FIGHT!” now was his mother to speak. Like he was animated by a force not his own, the kid stood up, with a rapid rolling towards the other edge of the room he took the knife usually used by his mother to butcher, jumped against the man and…

A man slapped his face vigorously, he suddenly woke up putting the hand around his gladius.

“S-sorry man, I didn’t want to hurt you but you were shaking during the sleep and scaring these people. Sorry a-again!” a fat man said: he was wearing a black habit, maybe the one of some monastic order and offered him a waterskin.

“Thanks!” Oh God, another time the same nightmare… he was still trembling and felt his body full of sweat. He took the canteen from the man who smiled at him: it was full of milk and seemed to relieve his fatigue, for the moment. The rain hit hard the case of the chariot, around him there were a woman with her daughter and another monk.

“You aren’t very talkative, are you? My name is Barbatus from Loupìai and I’m a monk, I’m travelling with my brother-in-faith to the monastery of Hydrunton. I suggest you to visit that place, it’s truly a blessing for the soul…and you seem someone who need it!”

“No thanks, I think I will go on.” he drank another time “I’m Carolus. I am a soldier, or at least, I was a soldier. The Basileus assigned me to rule over the Tourma of Hydrunton and, as a good soldier does, I’m here to fulfil my duty. And, of course, is to Kastron Kopertinon that I’m going.”

ck2_2.png

The monk turned white and knelt to him. “Oh your Majesty, forgive me. I-I didn’t knew it. If only I was less foolish I might…”

“Stop this, please! You only did your duty as a good Christian, helping the needy and such other things, aren’t you? But now you’re making fool so stop! And then, Majesty? Ahahahah, I think I’m more an imperial functionary than a ruler: the one to rule these lands is the Strategos Prokopios, right? What kind of person is he?”

Now the monk resembled more a blanket than a human being.

“H-he is a very l-lovely person. He takes c-care of the poors and he a-acts following the laws. As any good S-Strategos must do, right?”

You aren’t very good at lying. Oh my liege, where did you send me?

“Oh, perfect! I’m looking forward to work with him!”

“First stop: KOPERTINON!” shut the charioteer.

“MINE! Oh, take a look: it stops to rain. Gentlemen, miladies, the honour was yours!”

The smell of the wet ground pierced his nose. After more than 10 years I returned home. Who knows, maybe I will visit my village too. The walls were adorned with trapestries representing the shield of Hydrunton but there were some scattered brick that were about to fall. The Strategos really acts following the laws, it seems.

He arrived near the two guards of the gates and showed them the imperial seal.

“Welcome my liege” started one of them “the councillors are waiting you in the main hall of the castle.”

Carolus nodded and walked on. The miseries brought by the saracen raids could be observed in the castle town: it was full of beggars while the women were probably busy in other affairs; only the children cheered up the dramatic situation playing across the streets.

He entered the main hall of the castle but, more than a ruler’s residence, it looked like a fortified warcamp with a roof on it: at the edge of the room there were the “throne” cornered by guards and a wooden table in front of it. Around it there were four people waiting for the Comes.

“Good morning, my sir!” a hooded man started “we are your councillors and we’ll help you with the management of the realm!” he talked with an ambiguous tone, just for duty not with convintion “I’m Rhomanos, bishop of Brendesion and your Megas Logothetes (steward). The one sit next to me is Therianos, bishop of Hydrunton and your Logothetes tou Dromou (chancellor); the others are Theodoulos, Megas Domestikos (marshal) and Kephale of Louìpiai, and Damianos, your Mystikos (spymaster).”

ck2_25.png ck2_26.png ck2_27.png ck2_28.png

“Alright men, I really enjoy to be here and I hope that we will work well together. Enough small talk, tell me the general situation of these lands.”

“As you could see” Rhomanos talked again “the castle is devastated by the Saracens and also the other holdings are in the same situation. The beggars pullulate the streets and the fields don’t provide enough food to sustain the population. Furthermore the treasury is almost empty due to hard tribute imposed by Prokopios, the Strategos. Did I forgot something? Ah yes, we need an Ecclesiarch. Maybe it isn’t a very important role but the peasants would be more comforted if someone cares about their spiritual life.”

“Mpf, I don’t think so but I will write a letter to a man fitted for this task. Therianos you should already know him, Barbatus ab Louìpiai.” He nodded.

“When it comes to the rest, I will cover the lack of fundings with my own money but I can’t multiply bread and fishes so, for the moment, I don’t know how to resolve the fields’ situation. Maybe in the Golden City they know more techniques to improve the fertility.”

“Sir, if I can…” Theodoulos spoke “I suggest to recruit the beggars in the army in order to raid near lands. Two problems, one solution: we could raid the neighbors to obtain food and money and, in the process, some beggars would probably die reducing the mouths to feed.”

“THEODOULUS AGAIN! We can’t sacrifice human lives only to satisfy your bloodlust!” thundered Rhomanos.

“I approve the proposal.” Therianos raised his hand.

“You too…this isn’t the duty of a proper Christian, we MUST protect the weakest!” responded the Megas Logothetes.

“Calm down, guys!” even if normal, Carolus’s voice echoed in the hall “My Megas Domestikos Theodoulus... your suggestion is right but you missed an important particular: we are not barbarians, we conquer lands not raid them. Anyway you could rally these men but I’ll use them to invade the county of Monte Sant’Angelo in the duchy of Benevento. To recap, Therianos will go in Monte Sant’Angelo to fabricate a claim on the county, Theodoulos will recruit an army to conquer it, Rhomanos will improve the taxation system in my tourma and Damianos will reach Konstantinoupolis to study some of the most recent inventions in every area. When Barbatus comes he will visit the province to do his best to improve the condition of the poorest. Now, I announce that the first assembly is closed. Go!”

ck2_12.png

“Ah Therianos, wait a moment. I need a list of the best candidates for a marriage.”

“I have already done it. Here’s the women.”

ck2_6.png

“Thanks, I’ll choose the one to marry. Then you will send a letter to her rightful liege.”

“At your disposal!”

Kopertinon, some days later

“I, Barbatus, Ecclesiarch of Hydrunton and brother-in-faith of Saint Basil, declare Carolus ab Domnus, Comes of Hydrunton, and Zlata husband and wife!” In the church a great claps exploded.

“Congratulations! Congratulations!” the two spouses received the praises from all the invited people.

“Can I give my greetings to my new vassal?” a man kissed Zlata’s hand and nodded to Carolus: his hair was long and well-curated and the same could be said about his beard but not about his body.

“Obviously, Strategos Prokopios, right?”

ck2_3.png

“As I live and breathe. Can I speak to you in private?” Carolus made a gesture of dismissal to his wife who stayed with her handmaidens. “My Comes, I want to offer you the position of Megas Logothetes, what do you think?”

“Is very important what I think? You can just order, as all lieges do. Anyway I must refuse, I married right now and I must spend time with my wife, grooming a heir or something like that.”

For a moment, Prokopios’s eyes glowed with a nasty flare. “Oh…I understand, can I rely on your help in guiding my troops? I heard that you are a great leader and a better warrior.”

“I accept, moreover war is my life or, I can say, life is my war.”

“Great, goodbye…my comes.” a grin traversed his face and he left.

ck2_17.png

In his bedchamber Carolus started to undress himself exposing his trained physique, Zlata was waiting in the bed.

“Pay attention to that man, I don’t like his face and his tongue is longer than it seems.” said the woman.

“Strategos Prokopios, eh? You’re smart, woman, in the end I’ve made a good choice.” He got on the bed approaching his wife. She smiled maliciously. “You chose me but I accepted you, remember it.” and welcomed him between her legs. “Indeed! What a forked tongue…I like it.” and he bit her lips.

Next morning

“My liegeeee!” The door opened violently. Carolus suddenly woke up while Zlata opened one eye and gave a bad glance to the messenger. “I have a letter for you by the Strategos.”

“Do you know the meaning of the word privacy? Ahii, give me this letter.” the messenger knelt and left the room.

“What does that pig want?” Zlata grumbled.

“And now where is your attention? Prokopios will cut your tongue if he knows your words.” Zlata returned to a false sleep, annoyed by his husband. Carolus went on “He wants me in Rhegion, the Aghlabids are making gains. After the conquest of Tauromenion they crossed the strait of Messina and now they’re sieging his capital in Rhegion. I must go, my dear, I am a warrior.”

“And in this way do you want to fulfil your tasks as husband and father?”

From humble origins, Rome grew to the point of suffering for its own greatness. If neither the simple soldier does his duty who will help the Phoenix to rise again?”

“Ah, men… all the same. Go but it’s better to you to return. God bless you!”

Mpf, God? I bless me!

Last edited:
Wecome to AAR writing.

I like it so far, will be interesting to see how Carolus manages his first campaign as Comes. Something in his stats (and storywise also his military background) tells me it may become a walk in the park, but you never know. ;)

I wonder if the people of Hydrunton have an idea that they're governed by a demigod. :eek:

I like it so far, will be interesting to see how Carolus manages his first campaign as Comes. Something in his stats (and storywise also his military background) tells me it may become a walk in the park, but you never know. ;)

Mh, it couldn't be so simple as we think...who knows? (Alright, I know it:D)
I wonder if the people of Hydrunton have an idea that they're governed by a demigod. :eek:

The folk never recognize a great man when see him. Anyway, Carolus isn't properly a demigod, he's more like a simple excellent man with great characteristics SIMILAR to the Gods:)

Mh, it couldn't be so simple as we think...who knows? (Alright, I know it:D)

:DIndeed, that is very much why I'm waiting to be enlightened. ;)

Chapter II: Post fata resurgam (After death I will rise again)
Chapter II: Post fata resurgam (After death I will rise again)

Rhegion, 24 September 867

“The enemy forces are advancing towards our city. Where the Hell are Prokopios and his troops? We cannot fight that army with some untrained peasants.” Carolus thundered.

“I told you. The Strategos fled with his soldiers and went in hiding. Nobody know where he is... I know that is cruel but our orders are to face the enemies with these few resources. And we must obey even if this will cost some peasants’ lives or the heads on those pikes will be the ours…” the commander Lykanthes spoke, his eyes settled on the heads on the pikes outside. The face of Euthokimos, the other commander, was disfigured by the wrath.

“Ah, so is that situation…I understard your behavior but if we fight here, we’ll lose all the troops, the enemies will have a clear way to occupy not only Rhegion but the entire Kalabrias and your families will feel what you’re feeling now. Do you want this?”

“No. But we have no choice…” Euthokimos keeled over the chair praying in Greek.

“We have ANOTHER choice. Trust me comrades, I have a plan.”

That night

“Keep going, the forest will cover the light of the torches.” Carolus said to the “troops”.

“Carolus, I have a bad feeling. This forest is too silent.” Euthokimos took the word.

“I know but I guess we must risk in order to save most of them. If we’ll success we can reorganise in my holdings in Hydrunton.”

“Mpf, if I had known that you’re a gambler I wouldn’t follow you. What else have you wagered besides our lives?”

He just shrugged “Keep riding.” Lykanthes snorted.

“If we success what do you want to do, Lykanthes?” asked Euthokimos.

“I want to build a family, I’ve promised to my bride that I would marry her when I would return in Kroton.”

“Ahahah, I can see you’re still a kid. The only thing I want is to sink my head in the big breast of a Jewish whore. It’s said that they are very fiery in chamber business, if you know what I mean.”

“Put down that mask with me. We’ve fought a lot of battles together and before them, every single time, you prayed Our Lord to permit you to survive and reach your family. Am I right? Don’t you want to back in arms your little daughter?”

Euthokimos opened his mouth to respond but an arrow pierced his throat: he looked at it, his eyes were wide open, and fell from the horse.

“EUTHOKIMOS, NO! CAROLUS! IT’S AN AMBUSH!” Lykanthes shut.

“STICK WITH THE PLAN!!!”

“A plan? Talk, what are you waiting for?”

“This night we’ll flee to Kopertinon passing through the forest behind the city. We have enough horses a peasant so everyone will come with us.” Carolus explained “They’re about 350 people, right? We’ll move in a single column with the back covered by us commanders.”

“But we risk to get into an ambush. And in that case we’ll lose the troops anyway.”

“Not if we follow this plan right. Marching behind the column permits us to understand immediately if we walked in a trap. Thereafter the column will divide itself into three wedges: I’ll lead the center, Euthokimos the left and you, Lykanthes, the right and we’ll place in the center of them. But the most important part comes now: when the wedges take form the archers will fire their flaming arrows to the trees. The enemy on them will be forced to fall down or take fire.”

“But since the trees are too high they’ll die anyway. Alright but who tells you that the archers will sit on trees or that nobody will pursuit us?”

“I hope you will ask that. First, there isn’t a direct path in the forest, it serves to get wood, so is logic that they have put an archer on every trees or we could pass safely behind their back. Second, I didn’t say that nobody will pursuit us but if the trees take fire they’re likely to fall and kill the chasers.”

“And we’ll stand in the center to take less risks. Where is your sense of sacrifice now?” Lykanthes asked.

“Mpf, ever had. But at least one of us MUST survive to reach Kopertinon. If I die give this letter to my wife and she will help you to gather an army. So comrades, are you willing to offer up your hearts for the sake of the Empire?”

Other arrows whizzed in the air. The column divided in three wedges.

“Now my soldiers, act the plan! RAGE!”

The archers managed to fire their flaming arrows, others received arrows in return. Some enemies fell off from the treetops instead of burning alive. Slowly the formation started to thin out but also the forest burnt killing the enemies.

“The enemies don’t seem to stop, what must we do?” a soldier said.

“Another time… keep riding my comrades. We must reach the end of this forest. Only there will be our salvation.” The arrows histle continued to enrage in the dark, one by one both enemies and allies died but the wedges kept going straight regardless the losses.

“Have you heard it? Was it a neighing?” Carolus asked to a knight.

“Damn, it comes from the left wing…”

“CHAAARGE!” the enemy knigths charged the central wedge and broke the formation, many soldiers were unhorsed and died under the hooves.

“Fuck, they exterminated the left wing. Soldier, give me your sword. Command the others to reunite with the right wing, give this letter to its commander and tell him what happened here. I’ll deal with these fools.”

“Orders! Horsemen, with me!”

Perfect, now it’s my time.

Carolus changed direction, going directly against the enemy lines.

“Ehi shit-looking faces, come and crush me if you’re so strong.” He stood up on the saddle and wielded the swords taking the right one in reverse-grip placing that behind himself.

I couldn’t ask nothing of better, this place suits very well for my swordmanship techniques.

Taking advantage of the horse speed, he took a jump and spun on himself slicing the horse and its rider.

“Do you like my skills? I can give you more if you want.” Using a tree as a jumping ramp, he turned and killed a group of three knights in a swirl of blades.

“H-How may he be so fast?” an enemy exclaimed shaking “No man can be so…so strong. You…YOU ARE A DEVIL. I’LL KILL YOU!” the swords crossed his head and body cutting the curls covering his ears and the curly beard.

I’m sorry guys…it’s a unilateral slaughter.

“We-we did it. We left the forest.” Lykanthes said, crying of joy but suddenly realize “I…I did it… Euthokimos, Carolus… I won’t let your deaths be meaningless.” struck his chest with a punch. “Tell me soldier, has someone of the left wing survived? And your wedge… there’s any chance that…?”

The soldier drank “I-I don’t… No, nobody survived. They arrived silently, probably neither the left wing noticed them. They were…too much…maybe 200…if we would fight together we could defeat him but the commander Carolus…he ordered us to retreat. He sacrificed himself…like a hero… commander, is this our end?”

“Our end…mpf, who knows? We all put ourselves in this operation but seems that it gives us more losses than gains. I…I really don’t know what to do. I only want to revenge my friends…”

“COMMANDER! A man is getting out the forest.” a scout screamed.

“Get in position. No wait, are you?” a man covered in blood was walking towards them wielding two swords.

“I think I really need a bath to remove all this blood. Bleah…I also had drunk a bit.”

“Carolus, how…are you alive?” Lykanthes asked.

“Uh, what’s strange? I killed them and I’m alive. We must go to Kopertinon, the plan, do you remember?”

On that day, mankind received the grim reminder of living in fear of the Roman world.

Kopertinon, Hydrunton

“Oh darling, you survived then. I really…Oh, I thought that you didn’t return. I’m…I’m so happy.” Zlata embraced him deeply “I’ll give you a night to remember.” said in a whisper.

“I have a tough skin, you won’t get rid of me so easily. But first, let my men find some good place to rest.”

“I’m glad of doing my handmaidens’ work.” said ironically “Anyway, I have some good and bad news: the good is that Therianos finally has created a claim on Monte Sant’Angelo, the bad is that Rhomanos is dead. Being your regent, I replaced him with Himerios, a young lowborn. He is more skilled than Rhomanos was, I think I did a good work.”

“Mh, good. Moreover, you’re my wife. Can I present you Lykanthes? From now he will serve me as a commander.”

“Glad to meet you, Lykantes. Carolus…the Basileus sent you a letter, you’re summoned at his court. Did you do something that enraged him?”

“I don’t know. I shall see but first I need a bath. Did you see me?”

ck2_36.png ck2_37.png ck2_39.png ck2_40.png ck2_41.png

Konstantinoupolis, some days later

“Basileus Basileios I calls Carolus, Tourmarches (Comes in Greek) of Hydrunton in judgement.” the judge exclaimed.

“Carolus” the Basileus started, Prokopios sat at his right “Prokopios told me that you received the order of fighting to defend Rhegion until the last peasants’ blood. But you didn’t follow the orders and left the city with some troops, that were decimated, and retreated to your holding Kopertinon giving the enemy free way to occupy all Kalabrias. Am I right?”

“You’re right, Your Highness.” Carolus kept kneeling.

“Mh, don’t you have anything to say?”

“No, I did all the things you said. And I have no regrets.”

“Oh, we have a proud man here. I’m sorry Carolus, you really acted well during the Bulgarian invasion and I awarded you with a title but you know what the laws say. If you disobey to your liege, in this case Prokopios, you’re punished with the lose of the highest title you own, in this case the Tourma of Hydrunton, and if the guilty doesn’t have a title he’ll lose his life.”

“I know.”

“Hence I declare Carolus a tr…”

“Wait a moment Your Majesty.” Prokopios interrupted with a devious tone “Yes, Carolus might disobey me but he’s a great commander and he doesn’t deserve this punishment. In addition my spy in the enemy army said me that were the Jews to open the gates of my holdings and that were them to ambush the fleeing troops of Carolus. I think that they must be punished instead of my vassal who only did his duty to preserve the resources of my lands.”

“You have a point. I’ll follow your advice but, Prokopios, remember that the peasants are human beings, not resources. Carolus, thank your liege but if you’ll come another time in this hall neither Prokopios would save you from my justice.”

“Thanks, my Basileus.” said the two together.

ck2_34.png
ck2_38.png

“You haven’t thanked me. I’m really sad…”

“Prokopios what do you want from this trial?”

“Surely nothing from you, basically you have nothing.” he laughed “Have you reconsidered my offer?”

“No. The Jews didn’t nothing, right? You only use that justification to obtain some advantages?”

“Who knows. See you soon, my Tourmarches…”

Kopertinon

“How much must this hunt last ?” Zlata shut.

“Until I want.” Carolus answered aiming with his bow and let the arrow flying.

“So, Konstantinoupolis is besieged by the Aghlabids, the Paulicians won the war and you think to this? Umpf, if you wanted to hunt until night you could leave me in the castle. Lykanthes, said something to him.”

ck2_43.png

ck2_44.png

“You know, my Lady. We men are made in this way.” Zlata grumbled.

“I noticed a strange movement in the bushes. May be some big boar, I’m going to see. Lykanthes, stay with her.”

He advanced slowly, crushing the sticks on the ground, the air became heavy. Where do you hide, man? I’m not too fool to think that was a animal. A knife pushed on his throat.

“Ohoh man, please let me go. Do you really want to kill an unarmed guy?” Carolus bit his hand, took the knife and threw him with face on the ground, pushing the knife in his back.

“Ops, the situation has reversed. You don’t seem to know how to use a knife. I think I must kill you if I want to protect my dears.”

“Nono please, I’m only a judge… a judge of your strenght. I’m from the society of the Round Table.”

“The Round Table? The thing with Arthur, Holy Graal and something else?”

“Yes, that. Our leader, Pantherios sent me to prove your strenght in fights. You know, we received notices of your battle in the forest of Rhegion where you slaughtered about 200 men alone. We want to recruit you, would you accept?”

Carolus took the letter.

“Interesting, how could I refuse this gentle request?”

“Perfect, you’re one of us. But now, let me go. You’re hurting me.”

ck2_45.png
ck2_46.png

Last edited:
subbed

Chapter III: Homines, nihil agendo, discunt male agere (The man, doing nothing, learns to do evil)
Chapter III: Homines, nihil agendo, discunt male agere (The man, doing nothing, learns to do evil)

Kopertinon, 8 February 870

Three years had passed since he fought in the forest in Rhegion. Despite the initial dislike the Basileus gave him a former award and a little sum but the war didn’t go well for the Empire: after a harsh siege the Aghlabids managed to make a breach in the imponent walls of the Golden City; fearing for his life Basileios the Monster surrendered and the Muslims obtained the tourma of Tauromenion (named Mu’izziyya by the Saracens) and the isle of Melita. This defeat was seen as a sign of weakness by the Rhōmaiōn vassals and one of them, Basileios Nasar of Boukellarion, claimed that the Basileus was unworthy of his loyalty and declared the indipendence from the Basileia. Carolus, instead, was lying on his bed, stating that the world evolved fastly in last years but not for the Tourmarches of Hydrunton: many councillors died and others succeeded them but he was still a vassal of Prokopios and Zlata didn’t provide him any child.

“You seem bored, my sir.” the handmaiden observed keeping to do her work.

“Bored? I’m annoyed, girl. Very annoyed! How would you feel if the world continues to go on when you still live the same day everyday?”

“I would feel…safe? If nothing happens it means that nobody would suffer for eventual losses or gains.”

“And if you don’t do anything in your life it means that our life on this Earth is meaningless? We’re the living and we have the moral obligation to give sense to our life and the fallens’.”

“But our life on this Earth IS meaningless. It’s written on the Bible, God said it.”

“What are you saying? Stop these foolishnesses or I send you back to your shitty village.” The handmaiden smiled: they had the same discussion every time and every time he threatened her but never did something.

“The councillors are waiting you. It’s that day, do you remember?”

“Ah yes, the day in which we finally could decide for ourselves. I remember.”

“And do you want to go on? Even if that will spill other blood?” she looked very nervous.

“Yes, I’ve decided it a lot of time ago. Remember simpleton, the one who wants to change the world must be ready to sacrifice the things that he cares about, even his umanity.”

ck2_47.png ck2_49.png

After the delivery of the indipendence declaration Carolus rose an army of about 1200 troops guided by him, the new commander Lykanthes and the Megas Domestikos Theodoulos.

“So these are the troops you gathered?” asked Carolus to his Megas Domestikos.

“Yes, I tried my best to improve their combat skills but they never fought a serious war but compared to Prokopios’s men they’re more combative. Surely they wouldn’t surrender too easily, instead…”

“Instead of Prokopios’s that could feel abandoned by his liege… it seems a game for kids but I assume that Prokopios will fight us in a different way than the brutal show of force. We must pay attention.”

ck2_50.png ck2_53.png

Carolus’s men crossed Taranto and Gravina, in the realm of Italy, and arrived around Kosentia, in Kalabrias: the local population neither welcomed the Hydruntinoi army nor opposed their advance for the capital but, thanks to his persuasive skills, some outlaws joined as scouts and informed them that Maurikios, the most important (and only) commander of Kalabrias reunited a contingent in Kroton ready to suppress the rebels.

The rebel army marched against them but when they arrived in the castle of Katantzárion a fleet was leaving the dock probably heading for Hydrunton: the fear of his wife in enemy hands assailed him but winning this war was the main goal in his mind. After consulting with the high command they decided to return in Hydrunton where the hostile army already started sieging Kopertinon. On 16 May Carolus intercepted the besiegers and easily defeated them capturing their leader Maurikios in the battle. After this decisive victory the Hydruntinoi army had clear way for victory and neither a small resistence in Kroton did a good work in stopping its progress, indeed after the siege of Prokopios’s holdings in Rhegion the Strategos surrendered. After a year of war, on 15 February the Tourmarches achieved the indipendece.

ck2_55.png ck2_56.png ck2_58.png ck2_59.png ck2_61.png ck2_63.png

Kopertinon, some months later

Your Majesty,
I, Tourmarches Carolus of Hydrunton, am writing to you to advise Your Highness, Basileus Basileios I Makedon, that I earned for my people the indipendence from the cruel rule of Prokopios, Strategos of Kalabrias. I submit myself to your rule, asking the status of free vassal in the Empire and I swear that every action, every intention and all my life will be devoted to the sake of the Roman world.
I ask your grace,
your loyal vassal Carolus.

Carolus finished to write a letter for the Basileus. Surely he wouldn’t oppose his indipendence but, as a formal act of submission, the Tourmarches must pay tribute. In the distance the castle of Kopertinon grew clearer, they finally arrived home. Entering the gates the army was welcomed by cheering choirs shouting “Glory to Carolus and his troops! Glory to the Hydruntinoi people!”. The troops rested in the barracks, somebody greeting his loved ones, others reflecting on their bed while Carolus entered the main hall of the structure: Zlata and the council was waiting for him.

“My lord...” Himerios, the Megas Logothetes, welcomed him “Glad to be here for your return. With the indipendece declaration I thought that you must have the power of revoking lower titles from your vassals. I finish to deal with the last paperworks then you could remain alone with your beloved.” Carolus nodded.

“Hi darling, welcome back.” Zlata hugged him.

“Thanks! I’m sorry I don’t greet you when I won against the besieging army but I must fulfil my duty of Tourmarches…”

“I know…Tell me, do you see something wrong in me?” Carolus looked at her, she was fatter than normal.

“You…You…” he said with enlightning eyes.

“Yes, darling. I’m bearing your child!”

ck2_71.png
ck2_72.png

P.s.: are you enjoying the AAR? I'm not English mothertongue so I could commit some mistakes. Is the writing understable, or not? Tell me and try to help me in the correction. My writing is heavily influenced by my common talk, so if there is some expression that you didn't understand feel free to ask me what I meant

Last edited:
So having switched lordships around and now with a bit more dynastic security things are surely looking bright.

So having switched lordships around and now with a bit more dynastic security things are surely looking bright.

Yes but the Middle Ages are so cruel. Maybe the walk of Carolus won't be as easy as we expect... By the way, is the writing weird or anything else? As I said I'm not an English mothertongue.