• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

alex man142

Captain
60 Badges
Jan 26, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Victoria 2
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
Note, this is like the star wars saga in that I am starting in the middle!

The Overthrow (Part 1)

“Yes! Look, I am at 80 years old. I have been an admiral since the age of 30. I have seen things, you know! I have seen people, barely out of their teens, lose their arms and limbs, crying for their mothers. I have seen people shit themselves in fear as xeno scum board our ships. I have seen people blown in half as our ships get bombed. Now this Empress has the gall to promote the alien rights faction? Do you what they want? They want to free all the slaves and open our borders. They hide behind words of “diversity,” and “inclusion,” but the end game is the freedom of every alien in our midst! Fuck the Bilnoc and their disgusting molluscoid stench. This scar on my face came from fighting those disgusting squids. The Jess’L’Nax killed my son during their surprise attack. I refuse to see these enemy races become citizens in our Empire.”

-Courtney Bernard during the coup decision Succession Council Meeting

(Editors Note: This following excerpt is from the seminal work, Melanie Bernard by noted historian, John Frederick, who has graciously allowed us to use these chapters in our comprehensive history of the Human Empire. We understand that her legacy is controversial and offensive to many people, just as many celebrate her and look up to her as one of the greatest rulers in human history. Try to read this in as historical a way of possible, keeping in mind that while Melanie is controversial, her reign is one of, if not the most important and pivotal in all of human history.)

Chapter 5: Coronation to Crisis

It did not take long for supporters of Hannah Trump to begin to organize. As soon as Eric began to display signs of illness and deterioration, the Alien Rights faction began to mobilize to ensure than Hannah would take the throne safely. Xenophobes and Authoritarians began to be purged, and many were forced to sign oaths of loyalty. Officers loyal to Hannah were appointed by the House of Representatives to offices.

It was around this time that Courtney Bernard began to meet with the group who would eventually become the Succession Council of the Empire. Nobody knows when the first meeting was due to the fact that they were informal in nature, but the group quickly began to form and meet on a regular basis. The ten members were all powerful and influential members of society: Courtney was the admiral of the Imperial Fleet and famed throughout the galaxy. Melanie herself was the sector governor of the Musk Sector. Others were head scientists, influential politicians, and military leaders. Together, all ten had the power to destroy the government. All were opposed to Hannah taking the throne and sought to keep the Alien Right’s party from taking power.

According to transcripts found years after the initial meetings, the original plan of the cabal was to keep Hannah from power and instead, crown her cousin Paul Trump, who was known to be more xenophobic and radical. Hannah would be exiled to a desert planet along with her son Theobold. After Paul was assassinated by radical anarchists, the plan morphed into ending the powers of the monarchy together and instituting an oligarchy ruled by the council. All was set. As soon as Eric died, the council would move their forces onto Earth and arrest Hannah and her supporters. A puppet ruler would be crowned with rule being centered in the council. The plan was to prevent Hannah from being crowned all together because soon as the Emperor was crowned, legally deposing her would be difficult and likely cause a civil war.

Initial plans fell apart quickly. Eric died far sooner than planned and Hannah was crowned within hours of his death before news of his demise was able to be spread. Many suspected that Eric was euthanized or assassinated by Hannah, but nobody knows for certain as he was cremated shortly after her coronation. The next day, bills were rammed through Congress cementing her position, and committees began to plan for her grand xenophile agenda. The cabal was taken aback and feared that their plans had fallen apart completely. Fortunately for them, the Cephevad war began. Hannah was aware that there was a conspiracy against her, but nobody who supported her knew of the extent. She was about to call for all to pledge loyalty and kneel before her, when within a few days of her coronation, the Cephevad Union declared war. They feared Eric: he was charismatic and strong. Hannah was newly crowned and relatively unpopular among many portions of the Empire. The Cephevads took advantage of the political chaos and invaded.

The cabal put their plans to the side for the time being: a coup or civil war during this time would likely result in the destruction of the Human Empire. The war prevented a xenophile agenda from being passed: Hannah was a savvy politician and knew that much of her Empire was against these plan, and in addition to this, all political capital was spent drafting soldiers into battle.

The human Empire unexpectedly won the war against the far more powerful Cephevad Union. During the battle of Primis, Courntey and Melanie led a charge straight into the heart of the Cepehvad fleet, disabling the command ship and killing the Cephevad king. With his death, the Xeno fleet fractured. Civil war ensued in which all sides made peace with the Human Empire. Courtney once again was a hero and her gravitas and fame only grew. Melanie also became a war hero, having dueled the heir of the Union and slaying him in single combat.

(Editors Note: Please read On the Cephevad War for a more in-depth look at the war and battle tactics)

With the war over, Hannah Trump began to cement her rule. The landmark bill opening borders to friendly empires was rammed through congress. Conservative elements of the government began to be purged in favor of the younger and more vibrant xenophile faction of the government.

The cabal met again shortly after the war was concluded. All ten met on the planet Eden for a week. It was there that a coup was deemed necessary. Despite the fact that Hannah was crowned and legally their monarch, the damage that she was about to inflict needed to be averted. They were well aware that more radical xenophiles had her ear. According to recently discovered transcripts, there was much discussion onto how exactly the coup would take place and who would rule after the coup was finished. Most, including Melanie herself, supported Courtney. Courtney was the most famous person in the Empire and was the most decorated war hero of the Faster than Light Era. Her exploits were only matched by the respect she commanded. Many were surprised that she had no launched a coup of her own prior.

To their shock, Courtney declined the position, citing her age. She was nearing 80, and while gene therapy was a new technology, she would only rule for perhaps 20 years. Many of the other cabal leaders were also advanced in age. Anna, the core world governor was near 75 years old herself. Other cabal leaders were younger, but held roles not conducive to leadership nor did they have established connections in the government. Courtney instead nominated her daughter in law Melanie as her choice.

Melanie was a natural choice. By this point, Melanie had been the sector governor of the Musk Sector for over a decade. She had vast experience commanding soldiers and putting down slave revolts. Her deputy governor Kostas was also part of the cabal and would easily take her place. Melanie was a war hero, was well respected, and commanded the second largest force in the Empire. Several cabal members were wary of Courtney’s intentions, however, as Melanie was family. The two were incredibly close and were practically indeed inseparable. Courtney reminded everyone that besides herself, Melanie was the second most powerful person in the Empire. Nobody else commanded the power that she did. Some suggested that the cabal itself rule, but Courtney noted that a solitary ruler at the top of the chain was needed to prevent fracturing and chaos. Melanie would be a potent symbol that humanity could rally around.

The plans were drawn up. Hannah was demanding that all government officials arrive on Earth and bend the knee. The cabal would arrive of course, but with a massive army at their backs. Hannah would be arrested by Courtney’s 1st Legion and brought to Congress where she would sign a bill authorizing it to appoint a council that would take over the day to day running of the government. The council, being the cabal, would then appoint Melanie Bernard as the Protector of the Realm. All xenophile representatives, officers, and government workers would be arrested and promptly executed at the first sign of resistance. Hannah would remain a ceremonial figurehead with no power. If she refused to sign the bill, she would be executed, and Trumps would continue to be crowned until one signed it. It was imperative than everything moved quickly in order to nip any resistance in the bud.

“Bullshit.”

John Fredrick scratched his chin. “Look man, that is all I know. You read my book. What else do you want?”

“Melanie destroyed my family. She killed them… all.” He paused, looking at the floor. “My great-grandparents were killed during the coup, and their cousins were killed during the purge. I just want to know why.”

“You know why, she had to destroy Progressives and liberals…”

The man lunged forward and grabbed John, pinning him to a wall. After what seemed to be an eternity, the man let go, letting John fall to the ground.

“I hunted you down for a reason, John. Tell me who she is, for real. None of this government shit. I want to know the real Melanie. I hate her. She changed my entire life and I want to know why. I am obsessed with this bitch. I need rest.”

John struggled to his feet, gasping for air. “Promise me you won’t do that do that again, nor interrupt me.”

“I promise.”

John, regaining his composure, sat down. The man sat down as well. “Ok, I will you everything that I know. None of this is sanctioned by the council. Don’t tell a soul: the government will have my head.”

“I won’t. This is for me.”

“Conservatives will tell you that Melanie Bernard was born to a choir of angels descending from heaven above, crowning her as a sort of savior. What few liberals remain claim she was raised from birth by demons themselves to kill all that is good in the world. Obviously, neither is true. Melanie wasn’t born to a rich noble family on Eden, nor was she born to fascist neo-nazis. Melanie was, quite frankly, a normal human being born to normal people.

The government is good at hiding her past. Melanie herself went back and erased all memory of her. Classmates were generally “erased,” if you catch my drift. All records of her anywhere were found and wiped out, except for a few that I managed to recover. While I don’t know her exact address, she was born to a lower middle class family here on Earth. Her father, Christopher Collins, worked as an accountant for politicians. Her mother was a homemaker. She lived in a normal neighborhood not far from here actually. I don’t know where she went to Elementary School, nor do I know her Middle School as there are so many that she could have been assigned to and they are torn down and rebuilt all the time. I do know for a fact, however, that she went to Stonewall Jackson Academy for high-school. I found a letter sent to her from the Naval Academy directed to that school. Considering the cost and prestige of that school, there is no doubt Melanie had great grades and excelled early in life: there is no way her father could afford that school alone. Her parents likely worked very hard to send her there, and she reciprocated the favor. All stores nearby have no footage, but one frozen yoghurt place near the school showed me this footage. Melanie is right here, eating with her friends. She was normal.

During Sophomore year, all students take the NSAT (New SAT). I took it, you took it, and everyone hates it. The Naval Academy only takes around 1000 per class year, for around 4000 total people. Considering that there are billions of humans, getting in is generally impossible for just about everyone. Melanie made it. She scored so well on the NSAT that Courtney Bernard noticed and visited the Collins household herself, inviting Melanie to join the academy. This is the first that the two met. Melanie probably scored in the top 0.00001 percent of all test takers. I don’t know her scores or the distribution, but it was impressive enough to catch the attention of the right people. What makes it more impressive is that most applicant who are accepted or from famous lineages and families. I know that more than a few students are descended from the Trump family! The fact that a lower middle class girl born to a nobody family made it is beyond the pale. I know that I said that she was normal, but she was special in a different way. It just fascinates me just how little I know.

Melanie graduated school and went to the Naval Academy. Here, information is easy to find and available. While I don’t think that her grade reports are true and are probably doctored by the government, it is clear that she also did very well. In order to graduate, every student goes on a field expedition where they command a small fleet. Generally, the students mop up space pirates or rogue soldiers or something along those lines: something easy.

Now, Melanie’s assignment is shrouded in legend and government tampering. I talked with cadets from the military academy who were present I was able to piece together generally what happened. As she was engaging space pirates, a pirate khan saw the opportunity to seize a battle ship and warped into the battle. Melanie was told to retreat but she refused. Knowing ancient tactics, she adopted a formation similar to the Thebans at the battle of Leuctra, massing her fleet at her left flank. She then charged right into the pirate king’s right flank, right where here he was stationed. His weak right flank broke, and Melanie ordered her ship to board. Apparently, she gave command of the fleet to her second in command and led the boarding party herself, an act which broke just about every rule naval officers were told to follow. The contingent boarded and Melanie led the cadets in hand to hand combat. The government claims that she killed the pirate king in single combat. I found the military sergeant who was in charge of the Military Academy cadets on that ship: he claimed that Melanie was given some aid by cadets. Whatever the case, her actions here widely praised by everyone I talked to. The cadets were inspired and even the sergeant who was opposed to her move told me that her actions comprised a great leader.

However, the Academy could not let this breaking of the rules go unpunished. Melanie was put before a court martial committee. This act has been lost to history: the government purged it. The cadets I talked to all said that it happened and they testified on Melanie’s behalf. Melanie gave a passionate defense, recalling the actions of Alexander the Great, leading the charges himself. Melanie was, however, responsible for breaking rules and they recommended that she be expelled. Courtney Bernard, however, had a solution. The academy, while wanting to expel her, could not refute the testimony of all involved and she did win a battle thought to be unwinnable. Courtney offered Melanie a command position aboard her own flagship, the USS Robert E Lee. While Melanie did not get her own ship, the position was far more prestigious.”

Now that is an intriguing telling.

“We have breaking news!” A male reporter announced. The television flashed to life with the large Breaking News banner appearing on screen. “Mark Williams here, This is just in,” he said, reading a paper that was handed to him. “The Jess’L’Nax Confederacy has launched large scale strikes on our border worlds, overrunning several of them. I repeat, the enemy has launched surprise attacks against us. We have managed to finally, after repeated attempts, make contact with a local affiliate. Let’s go to our local correspondent Alice with FOXOP on the ground on Ostichi Prime, capital planet of the local region. Alice, you there? Alice?”

“I hear you loud and clear!”

“How are things on the ground?”

“Oh my goodness, I haven’t seen anything like this before. I’m on the ground here in the town of New Corinth. As you can see, this town has been bombed heavily by enemy forces. Everything of value has been bombed. All people here are in bunkers underneath the town. On the ground, our soldiers and militia are fortifying and hunkering down for a ground assault. Above, you can see enemy fighters bomb positions nearby. Our fighters are outnumbered. They have taken down numerous enemy fighters but more keep coming…..LOOK OUT!!”

“Alice? Alice! We seem to have lost connection. Alice, you there?”

“Holy shit! You ok Bill? Damn that was close. Oh, I’m live? Sorry, an enemy ship literally crashed into a building close to us. Fuck, things are hairy here. Smoke is literally clouding the air. The enemy are bombing this planet with everything that they have got. I wouldn’t be surprised if the entire enemy fleet is nearby!”

“Are you hurt?”

“Besides the ringing in my ears, I’m fine.”

“Are our forces fighting back?”

“It seems like we have some ships warping in, but not nearly enough at this point.”

“How long has the attack been going on for?”

“The bombing started last night or so. Communications were jammed and or destroyed. My office can’t even get into contact with our offices on local planets. It was a miracle that we even managed to reach you.

“Thanks Alice. Stay safe out there.”

“Will do, Bill, let’s get back into the bunker.”

“To those just tuning in, the Jess’L’Nax Confederation has launched surprise attacks on all systems on our border. We don’t know the current extent on the invasion, but we do know that several planets have already fallen. We still do not have a statement from the Emperor’s Office, but we will give updates as soon as we get them. Now, let’s go to Senator Alex Fields. How are things going down at Congress?

“It’s hectic right now down here, obviously.”

“Do you have any information that you can share with us?

“Not at the moment, no.”

“Are there any bills being announced?”

“At the moment, Congress is trying to capture the full scope of the crisis. Congress is about to be briefed by the army as to the situation. I know just as much as you do. All I can say is that I hope we can remedy this problem as quickly as possible and secure the lives of our forces on besieged planets……”

“I am going to have to cut you off, we have a request for an interview from our fleet.”

“Sounds good.”

The screen changed from near Congress to a room onboard of an Imperial ship. On screen a woman in her mid-twenties or so appeared on screen. Her piercing blue eyes stared right at the camera. Her dirty blond hair was tied back into a loose bun and her black uniform was immaculate. The room itself was bare: it was clear that she was in that room in order to not give any secrets to the enemy.

“Hello, this is Mark Williams with Fox. Who am I speaking to?”

“Mark, this is Melanie Collins, Executive Officer of Strike Force Chimera.”

The television feed paused suddenly. John Fredrick put the controller back onto the table and turned to the man who was holding him captive. “This is the first official recording that we have been able to find of Melanie Bernard. Within four years of her graduation, Melanie was already the second in command of Strike Force Chimera, which at this point was essentially the Imperial Fleet. Look, there is no evidence that Courtney and Melanie were lovers. She was just that good at what she did. She was the youngest executive officer in human history.”

The man stood up and walked incredibly closely to the television. He stared right into Melanie’s eyes, almost as if he was trying to communicate with her.

“You ok man?”

He continued to stare, reading her face. After what felt lifetime, he walked back to his seat and sat back down. “Continue.”

John pressed play on the controller.

“Officer Collins, can you tell us what the fleet is doing to counter the invasion?”

“I assure you that we are doing all that we can to safeguard our territorial integrity and the lives of our citizens, residents, and property. While I cannot give details about our tactical plans, please have the utmost faith that we are doing our best under the current circumstance.”

“How long have you known about the attack?”

“I cannot divulge that information.”

“How many systems have fallen to the enemy?”

“We know of around six, but there could be more. Note that most of them are uninhabited except for scientists and mining crews. Ostichi Prime is currently contested and we are doing our best to evacuate non-combatants and non-essential personnel. We expect that system to fall in the coming days.”

“Are there any preparations being made on the ground to prevent the enemy from seizing the planet?”

“We are in contact with forces on the ground and we are doing all we can to support them. Our resources are limited but we are giving them what we are able to give.”

“Do you have anything that you would like to add?”

“To all those watching this: times are hard. The enemy has made advances that we never thought were possible. However, in these hard times, we will endure. We will not give in, and we will never surrender. We will fight from the mountains of Ostichi Prime to the lakes of Eden. If it is our destiny to die among the stars, we will make the Xeno’s bleed for every inch. Please, trust that we are doing everything in our power to fight back, and we will win.”

“Thanks Melanie.”

“Anytime Mark.”

So the first exposure to public was in delivering hard news to a frightened populace ... but also a message of hope.

So the first exposure to public was in delivering hard news to a frightened populace ... but also a message of hope.

Yup :)

Just some backstory: I finished the campaign a while ago, but Melanie has been my favorite leader for some reason. I just couldn't shake her for some reason and so I'm writing this whole origin story. It's sort of a way for me to move on once the new update comes out xD.

Small teaser: things get very very messy later on ;)

NEW YORK TIMES

After months of retreat, defeat, and disaster, the Imperial Fleet, in a last ditch effort, trapped and destroyed the bulk of the Jess’L’Nax invasion fleet.

Details are still developing, but hours ago, the enemy was annihilated in a pincer move by Strike Force Chimera. According to witnesses, a small bait force located in the Sirius System laid a trap for the enemy fleet. After they engaged, elements of strike force Chimera scattered in surrounding systems quickly warped in using wormhole technology. The enemy, using a much slower warp drive, was unable to retreat in time. The much larger enemy ships, in panic, began to compress together to flee the Imperial battleships. Unable to maneuver, the fleet was surrounded and picked off.

“It was like taking candy from a baby!” A jubilant soldier shouted at a reporter on Sirius Prime after the battle.

Emperor Eric Trump II was all smiles as he addressed the army in a rousing speech on the surface of Sirus Prime.

“We have won! Men! We have won!” He shouted to cheers of jubilation. “By God we did it! I always had faith in the abilities of our army, and today, we finally bore fruit. The enemy is in full retreat. Now, we take the fight to their worlds and planets!”

He concluded with a reminder of the struggles that remained. “Despite this victory, this war is far from over. We will continue to fight, die, and bleed to ensure our survival as a species. This eternal struggle will continue on, and we will win.”

Casualty lists are still coming, but is clear that the enemy suffered astronomical casualties compared to the Imperial fleet. Hundreds of thousands of enemy soldiers were taken captive and enslaved. Reporters on the ground saw dozens of Imperial ships being towed back to the surface for repairs, but the bulk of the fleet looked in good condition.

After the speech, a brief memorial was held for those who had died up to that point, as the near constant fighting prevented proper memorials for the war dead. The highest ranking soldier to perish was Andrew Bernard. Andrew, a captain in the navy, was killed defending Ostichi Prime’s spaceport from enemy forces. Fleet Admiral Courtney Bernard gave a brief eulogy for her dead son before quickly jetting off to examine the fleet. Executive Officer Melanie Collins and Rear Admiral Fletcher Bernard answered questions to reporters.

The man handed John Frederick the tablet. “Do you have the press conference on file?”

John laughed nervously. “You jumped the gun man, I was going to put it up. Lemme find it on this tablet…here! Ok.”

The television flashed to life. Fletcher Bernard was talking on the podium located on a stage outside, in-front of a marble building. He was flanked by Melanie Collins and other high ranking naval officers. Fletcher was in his late 30s: his black uniform was worn and dirty: his hat had holes in it. It was a sunny day: behind them, ships were being towed and launching back and forth as they picked over the remains of the battle. Enemy ships were burning up in the atmosphere in controlled demolitions. Fletcher was clearly exhausted and frustrated.

“Next question.”

A flurry of reporters began to scream out questions. One was louder than the others. “How many ships were lost?”

“Can’t answer.”

“How many enemies were captured?”

“Still working that out.”

“Was any information or intel captured?”

“Still working on that.”

“Will a triumph be held on Earth?”

“No. Wait, I’m receiving a call, Officer Collins will answer any remaining questions.”

Fletcher walked off the stage giving Melanie a look of gratitude. She smiled, knowing that he wasn’t actually receiving anything. As he walked off, Melanie walked up the podium. Her uniform was uncharacteristically damaged and worn and she looked absolutely exhausted and a bit bloodied. She had clearly been fighting for quite a long time.

“Greetings everyone. I can only take a few questions at the moment. I can’t answer everything but I will do my best.”

“Who came up with the strategy?”

“The officers of the fleet did. I can say that we all had a role in the planning process.”

“Will Courtney gave a statement to the press?”

“She lost a son. She couldn’t even bury him until now. Give her some space.”

“Are there plans to invade enemy systems, as the Emperor suggested?”

“I don’t speak for him, but we cannot comment on any future operations.”

“Is it true that the Jess’L’Nax leader was killed in the battle?”

“We are in the process of confirming any and all casualties.”

“Where you hurt at all?”

“I see that my uniform gives it away! Yes. We all took injuries during the battle. I mean, our ship rammed into a few dozen enemy ships. That hurts!”

“I heard that there was a bait force. Is that true and who commanded it?”

“No sense in denying it. Yes, there was a bait force. Fletcher Bernard commanded that element of the fleet and did so with dignity and honor. Final question. Honestly, I am about to fall asleep on stage here!”

“What are your thoughts on what happened?”

“I’m glad that we stopped in the invasion in its tracks. Hopefully this war will end soon so that our children can stop dying. Thanks everyone. Contact our office if you want more statements.”

Trusted to take over a press conference at a moment's notice - even a relatively easy one like this. That really shows the faith and trust her superiors had in her.

Trusted to take over a press conference at a moment's notice - even a relatively easy one like this. That really shows the faith and trust her superiors had in her.

Yes!

Also, take note of Fletcher's Last name. Melanie doesn't stay a Collin forever :p

“No John, I am not going to fucking read your textbook shit.”

John sighed, scratching his white beard. “This chapter is accurate. I swear.”

The man grimaced, raising a fist at John. “The government approved it. I want to hear what happened straight from your lips!”

“You didn’t learn it in school? I mean……”

The man stood up, towering over John. John, in fear, looked up as he stared down at him. “Tell me, from your own words, or I’ll plaster your face all over that wall. I don’t want no textbooks, I don’t want any holograms, and I don’t want any sort of government approved garbage. I came all this way to hear from you, and you alone. If you don’t oblige, I’ll start breaking you, slowly and painfully.”

John sighed. “Ok, what do you want to know?

“Tell me how the war ended and how Melanie became a Bernard. Focus on her.”

“This will be boring, you don’t want to watch a documentary?”

“Don’t test me asshole.”

“Fine. Here we go. The Miracle of Sirus as it became known was the turning point in the war. The Jess’L’Nax lost the ability to perform offense maneuvers and were on the retreat for the next two years. The strategy of stretching the enemy supply lines deep into Imperial territory worked marvelously. Within a year, the Empire managed to expel the enemy from Imperial territory all together.

How was this possible? The war forced the Empire to experiment. Clone soldiers were introduced and quickly became instrumental in the conflict. Fearless and disciplined, the clones did not flinch nor retreat. The massive Imperial industrial machine began to churn after decades of silence, producing ships by the thousands. Robotic soldiers were also used as meat shields. Most importantly, wormhole technology was simply superior to Warp and meant that Imperial fleets could simply move faster. After the Miracle of Sirus, most fighting was reduced to bombing planets and seizing them.

As for Melanie, she proved herself time and time again as an able general and administrator. After the liberation of Nova Constantinople, she was tasked with restoring order, enslaving captured settlers, and going through property claims and land holdings. She did, crushing any dissent and making sure than human refugees received proper compensation for their losses. After this success, she squared away numerous other planets.

The war once again heated up once the Imperial fleet invaded enemy territory. Courtney Bernard made no effort to reel in the inhibitions of her soldiers. Massacres, executions, and other atrocities were common. Any Jess’L’Nax not killed or mutilated was enslaved and sent back to serve a short and difficult life. Courtney liked to say that there was a term genocide, not xenocide. Her soldiers, many of whom had been brutalized themselves, did not hesitate to follow those words of wisdom. Melanie herself did not participate in any known massacres. She wasn’t that way at the time as for as we know.

Around this time, Melanie and Fletcher Bernard began to date in private. They had already been close friends by the time of the press conference that I showed you. Fletcher was a widower himself: his wife was a diplomat to the Jess’L’Nax confederacy and was executed during the initial stages of the war. Courtney most definitely had a role in the relationship: Melanie was horrible at love and Courtney wanted her son to marry someone that she herself trusted. Melanie, Courtney’s best friend, was the perfect match. The age difference (Melanie was 27 and Fletcher was 38 himself) didn’t really matter.”

“Hold up, hold up, you just Melanie was bad at love?”

“Yes?”

“How so?”

“A 27 year old unmarried woman during the time of the Breed Campaign? That was unusual.”

“What was the breed campaign?”

“It was a program to ensure that the Human race would have the numbers to compete with large and more numerous alien races. They had these young women spokeswomen who would extol the virtues of marriage and family. Heck, people were marrying after a weekend at the beach together. It was just part of the ethos and still kinda is.”

The man sputtered. He couldn’t speak.

“What, odd to hear that Melanie was human?”

“Continue please.”

The war finally came to a conclusion after the enemy capital world, Jessnax, was captured. The fighting was incredibly fierce. As usual, no quarter was shown. The enemy king was tortured and mutilated on live television: his deformed and desecrated body was paraded through the streets of the captured enemy capital. Billions were killed and the rest were sold into slavery. The few fortunate ones who escaped into space became nomads and refugees on other worlds. A few decades later the Jess’L’Nax confederacy reformed on the other side of the galaxy but their power and gravitas were broken. Most importantly, the Human Empire had won its first major interstellar war and had finally proven itself on the galactic stage. The economy swelled to record levels with the addition of billions of free additions to the workforce.

A triumph was held in Washington D.C at the war’s conclusion. Courtney once again held the honored position at the head of the parade. By her side? The newly married couple Fletcher and Melanie Bernard; her closest advisors. The two had married shortly before this on the planet of Eden. During the triumph, all received commendations from the Emperor himself and became even more widely known that ever before.

By all accounts, Melanie and Fletcher had a loving marriage. Melanie quickly became pregnant and gave birth to their first child, Joshua Bernard. At Courtney’s suggestion, Melanie applied for and was transferred from naval service to become the military governor of the planet of Titilia. This move was highly abnormal, but Melanie’s experience during the war, combined with Courtney’s connections made this possible. Fletcher was given command of the local planetary police apparatus.

“Why did Courtney do this? Wasn’t Melanie a gifted naval officer?”

“From what I know, Courtney wanted Melanie to be the mother that she was never able to be. Courtney never really stuck around and kinda forced her children into naval service. She blamed herself for Andrew’s death and wanted Fletcher and Melanie to have a different life than she did.”

“Fascinating.”

“Yes. Melanie distinguished herself on Titilia. Slave dissent was quickly put down, and her governorship was marked with peace and a growing economy. During the Great Slave Revolt, Titila was one of the only planets to be quickly pacified: her apparatus quickly put down the revolt, slaughtering rebels.

Melanie and Fletcher had three other children during her time on Titila: Amalia, Case, and Ruth. Unlike herself and Fletcher, the Bernard couple raised their kids in other pursuits rather than war. Case in point: none served in the navy or army.

At the age of 36, however, Melanie’s giant break came: the leader of the Musk Prime Sector retired, leaving an opening to the one of the most powerful positions in the entire Human Empire. Eric Trump II, with a bit of urging by Courtney (who was 76 at this point), appointed Melanie to the position. She was now one of the most powerful people in the galaxy.”

Well it sounds like she had a good grounding for Sector governor-ship.

“Momma, momma!”

Melanie looked up from the large stack of papers on her desk. Melanie had just spent the last few hours or so signing papers and reading over reports: any break from the tedium was welcome at this point. Ruth came running into her office holding a piece of paper. She sprinted over to Melanie and handed it to her. Ruth was glowing with happiness.

“What is it dear?”

“I got straight As!” Ruth said, practically yelling with glee.

Melanie scanned the report card. Melanie lit up with joy as she confirmed Ruth’s statement. “You did it!” Melanie practically lept from her chair and picked Ruth up, hugging her. “Mommy is so proud of you dear! Wow, straight As?! I told you that you could do it!”

“Can I get that pony?”

Ruth was referring to an expensive synth pony that was popular amongst children of the elite. Melanie laughed, “Don’t get your hopes up dear! Say, how about after Mommy is done working, we go and get some ice cream?”

“Yay!!!”

Melanie placed Ruth back on the ground. “Alright, I pinky promise that we’ll get ice cream as soon as I’m done and I’ll get you a new toy. Run off and show Daddy now!”

Ruth ran off in search of Fletcher. Melanie, grinning, turned her attention to the stack of papers on her desk. Her grin turned to a scowl as he got back to work. As good as she was as was she did, the work of governing a sector was both dull and insanely stressful at the same time. One small mistake and you would lose your job, yet the job itself was incredibly boring most of the time.

Governor Bernard,

Slaves are beginning to agitate on the planet of Glerlandia. Eric Trump’s focus on energy production has forced us to work the slaves to the maximum. This has, understandably, let to much anger and backlash amongst the workforce. Requesting that 1, energy production be limited in order to satiate slaves or 2, more soldiers be sent to my planet in order to rein the slaves in. If nothing is done I may be forced to purge any rebellious populations.

Regards,

Officer Rick Stafford

Melanie sighed. She mulled it over for a while before quickly writing a note.

Officer

I’m stretched as it is, but expect reinforcements. Do with them as you will.

Melanie Bernard

Melanie grimaced as tossed the note into the mail tube. It materialized on screen into a text message that was quickly sent. Absurd demands by the government had forced Melanie to order the officers to work the slaves in the Musk Sector to the limit. Unable to rely on the limited Sector army to pacify them, Melanie, with the help of Fletcher, had created a form of private Sector militia, which cost money; all of which further put a strain on her resources. Melanie picked up another paper.

Melanie,

Requesting funding for expansion of mineral plants on my planet.

-Robert Mack

Melanie signed the authorization form, sending it down the tube. Melanie did this with dozens of other papers. Most of them were miscellaneous documents. After what seemed like an eternity, someone knocked at Melanie’s door.

“Come in,” she said unenthusiastically.

A man walked in, holding something behind his back. He was wearing a black police uniform. His grey hair was cut, and his uniform was immaculate. On his chest a nametag displayed: Captain Fletcher Bernard.

“Fletch!” She said, surprised. “What are you doing here?”

Fletcher grinned, “Just thought I’d come in and see my dear wife!”

Melanie grinned, “What are you holding dear?”

“Nothing..” he said, playfully.

Melanie stood up and began to walk toward him. “You wouldn’t hide anything from your governor now, would you?” She asked in a happy sort of tone.

Fletcher, “Never, how could consider such an act?” He said, overemphasizing every word in a sarcastic way.

Melanie reached behind his back, laughing as she did so. Fletcher stepped back and revealed what he been carrying: a bouquet of flowers. It was stunning: vivid colors and expensive flowers from all over the Human Empire. Melanie’s face lit up into a giant grin: she was almost glowing. She was a battle heartened veteran but she still had a giant soft side.

“Oh my goodness, these are beautiful!” She exclaimed, hugging Fletcher.

“Just wanted to brighten your day.”

“You want something, don’t you?” Melanie asked, still grinning.

“Nah, just thought I’d surprise you again.”

Melanie reached and kissed her husband. “My family keeps surprising me today.”

“Yeah, I promised Ruth that we’d go to the zoo. I’m just glad that you work close to home. Let’s us bond far more easily these days.”

“I agree. I’m just glad that we can have moments like this,” she said, filling a vase full of water and placing the bouquet in it. She placed it on her desk, immediately adding color to the otherwise drab wooden paneled office.

“I love you Melanie.”

“I love you Fletcher.” She paused, savoring the moment. “Thanks for the visit dear! I’d love to chat all day but we both unfortunately have work we have to do.”

Fletcher kissed Melanie again. “See you later tonight.” He walked out of the office, closing the door as he did so.

Melanie got back to work. She barely got through a document before Fletcher quickly entered the office, not even knocking. He was holding his tablet in his hand. He quickly and urgently placed the tablet on Melanie’s desk. “You have to read this.”

Melanie grabbed the tablet. Her grin was erased as she read the email on the screen.

Fletcher,

You have to tell Melanie this. I only messaged you because sector governors have their emails archived. I was just told that my fleet will be examined by the IRS for the fourth time this year. I have it on good account that another surprise audit will be performed on Melanie’s sector. I also have reason to believe that the Imperial transition team may appoint a special counsel to investigate me, and by extension, you and Melanie. They are definitely looking for excuses to get rid of us. Tell Melanie this so that she can get everything in order.

Melanie slammed her fist on the table. “Are you kidding me? This will be third audit this year. This is legalized harassment. What are they trying to find?”

Fletcher frowned. “My mom’s right. They want you gone.”

“Who?!”

“Empress apparent Hannah Trump and her cronies.”

“She’s only 17! How is she doing this? She isn’t even in power yet.”

“Eric Trump did create a transition council….”

“Yeah I know, he is sick, but this level of intrusion is absurd. Damn it. How can I do my job when the government is going through all my files four times a year? Give me some breathing room for goodness sake.”

Fletcher grabbed Melanie’s shoulder. “I’ll talk with my mom and see what she thinks. I’m more worried about this special council than anything.”

Melanie’s eyes opened wide. “Your right.”

“It will be easy to fabricate corruption charges against her. You’ll be ruined. Everything we’ve worked for will be gone.”

Oh my, the twisty web and wheels of of politics can be bitter.

The man leaned forward in his seat, staring at John. “How do you know all these intimate details about what happened?”

“I have sources mate.”

“What sources?”

“People nearby and whatnot. That was just what they told me.”

The man leaned even closer to John. “You’re hiding something. That was an intimate moment between Fletcher and Melanie. There is no way that anybody even got close to that office. I NEED to know! I came here for this information John.”

“Can I finish my story please? This is when Melanie’s life turns the way it does. I can’t reveal everything because then we won’t be able to finish. I’ll just be listing sources all the time.”

He sighed angrily. “Fine, continue, but you will tell me. Or else….”

“Alright, I need to take a bit of a nap. I’m old and worn out. Watch this lecture that I made a few years ago at a local historians meeting. Feel free to go over the stuff on my desk there.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“Hannah Trump was born late in Eric Trump II’s life. He was near 50 when he had her, born to one of his concubines. From a young age, Hannah was educated in the finest schools and by the finest tutors. She lived a life of luxury in the Imperial Palace. All that she could want was given to her.

Unfortunately for her, she had seemingly no chance to rule. She was Eric’s 10th child, and her older siblings seemingly had the position of being heir apparent under lock.

The age that she lived in were incredibly divided. The mass slaving of the Jess’L’Nax and the uplifting and enslavement of the Genocigians led to a sort of conservative consensus among the generation that Eric grew up with. However, this time was also one of an extreme liberal reaction to this growing nationalism. Reactions to the treatment of alien species ranged from happy to absolutely appalled. Many began to advocate for the freedom of enslaved aliens and their full political rights in the Human Empire. Younger generations, especially in colleges, spearheaded the Alien Rights movement. It became a surprisingly popular political one as well.

Nobody knows how or when, but Hannah began to be influenced by the movement. She surrounded herself by advocates for changes to the system and status quo. More and more of the civil service in the government became influenced by the faction. Eventually, the movement became so powerful that it began to make political moves. The heir apparent, Barron II was found guilty of murder and forced to renounce claims. Other chargers were brought upon Hannah’s other siblings. In time, the Imperial family and civil service selected Hannah as the successor to the purple cloak. Hannah would become the Empress.

However, the faction had immense obstacles to secure Hannah’s position; Courtney Bernard was the biggest one of course. Her xenophobic and conservative tendencies were not a secret at all. She was one of the last remaining generals from the pre-FTL era, a time of war and unification of the human race. She also had allies of course. Anna, the core world governor, was a close friend and formal general that served with her. The two coordinated many actions together. Mark and Mary Stevens, the head scientists of the Academy, were also close to Courtney. Melanie was, of course, her daughter-in-law. You guys already know that she was the head of the Musk Sector. Melanie was by far her most powerful friend in the government, aside from Eric Trump II. Courtney had done an incredible job cementing her position in the Human Empire.

Courtney was so popular and well respected that getting her out would be next to impossible. However, Hannah’s allies had the benefit of time. Courtney was old, nearing 80 at this point, and would likely die soon of natural causes and old age. Getting rid of her was just a matter of time. As for her other allies, especially Melanie, the plan was simple: force them out via corruption scandals and investigation.

Despite Courtney’s gravitas, many on the left disliked her. The fact that her sons both had high ranking military positions took many people aback. What irked left the most, however, was how Melanie so quickly climbed the social ladder. Within a few years of graduation, Melanie as already an Executive Officer. By the time she was in her 30s, Melanie was already a Sector governor. Courtney supported and advocated for Melanie at every single turn. Pardon my French, but many called Melanie “Courtney’s Bitch.” To them, Melanie was everything that was wrong with the government: an oligarchy of well-connected families generally supported everyone. Ironically, Melanie was from a low ranking and middle class family, but that did not matter. Melanie was a Bernard by marriage, and this is what mattered. Left-leaning tabloids routinely spread rumors that Melanie and Courtney were lovers.

To make matters worse for Courtney, she became fabulously wealthy, something not exactly possible under a military salary. Granted she was famous, but her wealth became legendary. Leakers at one point leaked the fact that most of the Bernard family had bought stocks in a private military company shortly before Melanie picked them to be her private sector militia. Melanie’s parents also just so happened to buy into the stock as well. Nothing came from the leak due to the hold that Courtney and Melanie had on the government. The leak was claimed as fake and after Melanie came to power, all records were generally erased.

As Eric became more and more sick, Hannah’s allies began to move into action. First, they had to deal with Melanie:

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Melanie groaned as she began to work on the large amount of paperwork at her desk. Like usual, it was mostly administrative documents. Usually, she would fly through, but she was stressed. It was only two days ago since Courtney sent the message that they would probably come under investigation. They had to prevent that at any cost.

I can’t let it come to that. We can’t let Hannah get into power. She’ll destroy everything that the human race holds dear

As she sat deep in thought, a man entered the room. He had short hair and was wearing a grey suit. His glasses were plain: in fact, everything about him just screamed plain. He looked like some average businessman: clean yet entirely unassuming. He was flanked by two guards.

“Greetings Melanie.”

Melanie looked up from her contemplation. “May I help you?”

“My name is Franklin. I’m with the Imperial transition team.”

“Welcome to Musk Prime. How may I be of service?” She asked, warily.

Franklin sat down at one of the chairs opposite from Melanie. “I’m going to cut to the chase here: Melanie, you need to resign.”

“Excuse me?”

“Look, I’m going to be frank: if you don’t, we will make your life extremely hard. Go out with dignity and with your wealth intact. Resign, and we’ll forget about everything.”

Melanie stared at Franklin for what seemed like ages. “Look Franklin, I don’t know who you’re kidding or what you expected, but I’m not going anywhere.”

Franklin sighed, reaching into his briefcase and pulling out a stack of documents. He slammed it onto Melanie’s desk. “My team has been conducting a sort of probe. We know all about your stock trading with Hoplite Mercenaries. How about we start by sending these documents detailing one Christopher Collins and Joshua Bernard to the SEC and see how the take it? I hear you are very close to them…”

Melanie stared at him blankly. “Keep them out of it. IF you have a problem with me, deal with me.”

“Oh no, it doesn’t work like that governor. You of all people should know that. Now, I can shred these documents and we can pretend like this never happened. I’ll give you a week to make up your mind.” He said, standing up and walking out of the room.

Melanie waited for them to leave and close the door. She rushed over to her private phone and sent Courtney a message.

Oh my, the twisty web and wheels of of politics can be bitter.

Thanks for commenting! I hope that you and others are enjoying this so far :)

So they went to threaten - I reckon that was a foolish play. Should have just blindsided her. Now they have given her information - almost always the most valuable currency in this sort of struggle.

(I've been on break so I have had a ton of free time. That being said, this is getting far more ambitious that I could have ever dreamed of. This chapter is more "filler" I suppose but it shows the seeds of what occurs later.)

“Admiral Bernard, we are approaching the landing pad of her house.”

“Good.”

The clone pilot skillfully maneuvered the military shuttle through the skies above the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. It was out here, in the country, where the richest of the rich in the Empire lived. Earth’s land was heavily regulated in order to preserve its character. The result was that quarter of an acre of land on Earth could probably buy an entire island on another planet. The poor huddled in the slums while the rich either lived in penthouse suites or out in the country.

As the shuttle approached the Bernard house, Courtney examined it carefully. It was a magnificent mansion built in a neo-classical style, sort of like an ancient Southern plantation. Opulent gardens and statues surrounded the three story structure. Around it was a massive estate filled with trails, lakes, and a forest. This much land on Earth cost a fortune for Melanie to purchase, yet alone the house. Streams abounded, horses and all sorts of farm animals roamed blissfully in the fields. The plantation was grand, vivid, colorful, and rich.

The clone quickly descended and landed right on the center of the landing pad. As soon as the door opened, Courtney walked out of the shuttle and into her daughter-in-law’s embrace. “Good to see you again Melanie.” Behind her were several of her personal clone guards. There were more with her than usual.

“Likewise,” Melanie said, tightly hugging her mother-in-law.

“How’s it going?”

“Not so well, you know. Why so many guards?”

“I’m giving some to you. Personal guards loyal to anyone I tell them to be loyal to.”

“Thanks.”

“Let’s get into the house. It’s cold down here.” Fletcher led the way. They walked up the metal stairs to a sort of garden balcony. Fletcher reached into his pockets and pulled out a keycard. Using it, he opened the secure doors that led to the Bernard residence. The inside was just as decorated as the outside: expensive wood paneling, rich and vivid carpets, and imported wood. The house was a textbook example of refinement and class. The clone guards waited in the foyer.

Fletcher continued upstairs and into the family’s personal office. He shut the door after Melanie and Courtney entered, and locked it.

“I got your message, Melanie. Do you have the documents he gave you?”

Melanie pointed to the stack of paper on the table. Courtney began to skim the documents, tossing many aside on the desk. After reading through a good number of documents, Courtney put her hands on the desk, grabbing it so tightly that her hands went white.

“Yeah Melanie, we have a fucking problem here.”

“I thought as much.”

“A lot of this is bullshit but this can tie us down for ages in litigation. There’s a ton of stock stuff in here, all of which lawyers would have a field day with. I wouldn’t be surprised if your dad went to the slammer within days of the SEC getting this.”

“Damn it,” Fletcher exclaimed, banging his hand against a wall.

Melanie sighed. “They can’t do anything as long as Eric is in power though. He won’t sign any sort of special council.”

“Eric won’t stay in power forever. Heck, he probably will die within five years,” Courtney explained. “The liberal fucks are playing the long game Melanie. I’m going to die eventually. Then they will toss all of us to the wolves and reshape the galaxy as we know it. Those races we fought and bled fighting against will be given rights. It sickens me.”

Melanie bit her lip. “I lost men, good men in those wars. This is how we are rewarded?”

“I lost my fucking son!”

“There has to be some options. SOMETHING,” Fletcher yelled. “We’re fucked otherwise. Even with Eric in power they’ll crucify us in the realm of public opinion. Heck, look what they already think of Melanie. The last thing we need is public pressure.”

Melanie groaned. “Maybe I should just resign.” She turned to Courtney. “We live happy, I keep all this stuff, you keep your reputation, and nobody goes to jail.”

Courtney shook her head. “This isn’t how this will end. This house isn’t their end goal Melanie. Their end goal is the radical transformation of the society. I fought these fucks when I was barely out of my teens. Anarchists killed my parents. MY PARENTS. Shit. I can’t believe they’re coming back. I thought Donald Trump II purged them all. I guess not. This will end with you dead and your house turned into a shelter for some alien refugee.”

“Maybe we should just arrest Hannah and take over,” Fletcher said quietly.

“You can’t be serious,” Melanie said shocked. “That’s treason Fletch!”

Courtney stared at her son. “Look. We have options.”

“Like what?” He asked angrily.

“Paul Trump, you know, the guy you golf with. He’s far more, well, inclined towards our rules. He’s a distant cousin but maybe we could, urge Eric and the council to elect him instead,” Courtney suggested.

Melanie gasped. “I’m not comfortable with this Court. This is treason we’re talking about and will likely result in a civil war before we’re all said and done. I knelt in loyalty to the Emperor and the Human race.”

“Do you see another option?”

Melanie looked at the ground, “We could I don’t know talk to Eric?”

“Hannah is his last child who can inherit. He’s dead set on this. He doesn’t know how entrenched Hannah is in her ways. He doesn’t want to see it….Melanie. We aren’t saying anything just yet. I don’t this any more than you do.”

Fletcher nodded his head. “Mom, you have other allies right? How about we meet somewhere secret, like on Luna or Eden? We can discuss ideas and whatnot. I’m sure we aren’t the only ones here.”

Courtney turned to Melanie, “Family first, Melanie. Remember that.”