Looks like patch 1.1 improved the AI division designs.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

oerbaa

Captain
63 Badges
Nov 13, 2013
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris
  • War of the Roses
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Magicka
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
Remember when we all hailed the 7 INF + 2 Arty design? 20 width, strong attack and defense. Looks like they implemented that into the new version.

Both Germany and the SU are producing tons of these.
394360_20160624083539_1.png

394360_20160624082948_1.png

Looks like we'll have a harder time dealing with these countries now (hopefully). I'm eager to see how they continue to improve the division over time (especially tank divisions)

Edit:
Likewise, the US is now producing their main infantry division instead of the garrison division.

pre-patch:
394360_20160623065800_1.png

post-patch:
394360_20160624091619_1.png

Edit: Sadly I spoke too soon. I made a bug post on how none of the major nations are making any medium armor. By 1942, not one single medium tank has been produced by anyone.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I'm kind of wondering if 7 inf+2 art is a solid layout for a division in real life though (obviously translating 7 inf and 2 art into real life numbers). Maybe it should've just been nerfed.

Reactions:
Sadly, by January 1942, none of the major nations have produced medium tanks. Not a single medium tank.

Light tanks are another story though. Every nation is pumping light tanks out in vast quantities.

Seems the production still needs quite a bit of tweaking.

Reactions:
There should probably be a medium tank template unlocked when the country first researches medium tanks. Then they would be more likely to iterate through to the designated medium armour template. I have no idea how (or if) the ai will decide to move towards the light tank template first, switch it to mediums or work on both concurrently.

and to be fair the 7 infantry + 2 artillery template was already in 1.0.1 as the infantry division to work towards in the files. The ai just didn't do it properly.

Reactions:
From what I can tell, Paradox didn't fix AI research priorities properly, so the AI (aside from Germany) still isn't researching medium armor in a timely manner. This mod fixes the AI behavior, but the author said he will not be supporting the 1.1.0 beta for now because it contains an even more ridiculous amount of bugs regarding AI behavior than 1.0.1*:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=704100462

The 7inf/2art is a solid 'baseline' infantry division that the AI should have been using from the get-go. The USA standard infantry division is still atrociously terrible. Stock game blocks the AI from using certain support companies, because they're 'overpowered' according to the script comments.

*Like AI now shuttling its forces between multiple theaters without considering which theaters require defense.

Reactions:
It's also looks like it is still creating a new template every time it wants to do a change rather than upgrading an existing one... so plenty of rubbish divisions in the field.

From what I can tell, Paradox didn't fix AI research priorities properly, so the AI (aside from Germany) still isn't researching medium armor in a timely manner. This mod fixes the AI behavior, but the author said he will not be supporting the 1.1.0 beta for now because it contains an even more ridiculous amount of bugs regarding AI behavior than 1.0.1*:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=704100462

The 7inf/2art is a solid 'baseline' infantry division that the AI should have been using from the get-go. The USA standard infantry division is still atrociously terrible. Stock game blocks the AI from using certain support companies, because they're 'overpowered' according to the script comments.

*Like AI now shuttling its forces between multiple theaters without considering which theaters require defense.

The shuttling forces around is not exclusive to 1.1, I see that happening with the release version a lot.

IMO the 7inf/2art isn't a bad approximation of what a Soviet division may have actually fought with, when considering army/front artillery assets which can't really be modeled as such within the game.

**At least during the latter half of the war

It's also looks like it is still creating a new template every time it wants to do a change rather than upgrading an existing one... so plenty of rubbish divisions in the field.
In the Beta patch thread it was Dev commented that this was intentional so that the AI could do a more controlled/gradual rollout of new equipment. I imagine that it will upgrade old divisions as it has the equipment.

The shuttling forces around is not exclusive to 1.1, I see that happening with the release version a lot.

Not even close to the same level.

In 120 hours of hands off games, I have never, not once, seen Germany completely abandon the French front to send 350 divisions to guard the Soviet border, WHILE at war with the French, and at peace with the Soviets.

In 1.1 this happens 100% of the time, vanilla or modded.

You're talking about a handful of divisions, maybe a dozen or two, not 200 divisions.

Reactions:

In 120 hours of hands off games, I have never, not once, seen Germany completely abandon the French front to send 350 divisions to guard the Soviet border, WHILE at war with the French, and at peace with the Soviets.

You're talking about a handful of divisions, maybe a dozen or two, not 200 divisions.

Yeah, I was talking about a few divisions here and there. Something is seriously borked when the AI relocates whole fronts.

Yeah I noticed this in the new patch.

Germany, while still struggling on the Belgium Netherlands border, sent about 200 divisions to the soviet border, just to guard it or something.

In the Beta patch thread it was Dev commented that this was intentional so that the AI could do a more controlled/gradual rollout of new equipment. I imagine that it will upgrade old divisions as it has the equipment.
I have seen no evidence that it ever does it. My suggestion would be that support equipment changes should be applied to existing templates (as a minimum)