Here's a General Guide to Reduce Lag

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Vampiresoap

Lt. General
34 Badges
May 4, 2011
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
Hi guys, I'm writing this up because I haven't seen anyone else included all of these tricks into one single thread yet. Hope this helps people like me who have struggled for so long with this issue.

1) Go into Task Manager, locate HOI4.exe in the details tab. Set priority to "real time"

2) Press the Windows button + R at the same time. In the opening window type "msconfig". That will put you to system configuration. In there, switch to the "boot" tab. Pick advanced options, and then choose "maximum processors".

3) Go into Documents\Paradox Interactive\Hearts of Iron IV. Here you'll find a text document called setting.ini. Open it, scroll down and you may disable water, sky and bloom by setting them to "no". (for example, draw_water=no) I honestly don't feel the game look too terrible after disabling them, but it's up to you to decide. Do not disable terrain though, as it'll make the whole game go black!

4) Check steam for mods that reduce division numbers in the world. They usually make divisions more expensive to build or something. I'm always a little skeptical about this one because it did not work for me a lot. There's also a mod that combines all south american countries into one big country.

5) Upgrade your CPU! The difference between a 4.0 GHz CPU and a 2.0 GHz one is huge!

Expert AI mod works well. A configuration menu for the mod pop's up asking for settings. I think the first button is about division composition. Click on it until it says maximum or optimal. What it does is allow the AI to build 40 width + sized divisions. It not only cuts down on division spam but also combat calculations, which in turn does help late game lag.

Expert AI mod works well. A configuration menu for the mod pop's up asking for settings. I think the first button is about division composition. Click on it until it says maximum or optimal. What it does is allow the AI to build 40 width + sized divisions. It not only cuts down on division spam but also combat calculations, which in turn does help late game lag.

That sounds good! Have you tested it yourself? If so, how much did it help you?