Guelphs, Ghibellines, and Free Cities

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Edam42

Sergeant
94 Badges
Jun 18, 2014
  • BATTLETECH
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • March of the Eagles
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
Thinking about the new factions mechanic and the screenshots they posted depicting an Italian rebellion against the HRE, led me to wonder how they could depict the most important conflicts in Italy at the time: the Guelphs and Ghibelline wars, which last for most of the grand campaign timeline (early 1100s to late 1300s).

Obviously I can't recommend a fully formed suggestion without playing the game, and it would have to be a radical abstraction of the complex series of conflicts that lasted centuries. However, I have formed two ideas:

1. It could work similarly to the 'populist' faction but instead of forming an independent realm, set up republic-type signoria governments with low feudal obligations on a county level. (These republics would then go on to be less loyal and more likely to form independence factions).

2. It could work simarly to the Archbishop mechanic, where the cities of de jure Kingdom (ie. Italy within the HRE) are all represented by a figurehead to replicate a set up similar to the Geulph Lombard League. This league could become more loyal to the Pope and withhold money, similar to the Archbishops. But would differ in that this should eventually lead to rebellion and a similar outcome (if successful) to point 1.

While this goes no where near getting to the complexity of the conflicts, I think it is better than leaving it out altogether. If (when, fingers crossed) pdx add content for republics, I think mechanics like these to simulate the development of independent Italian city states like Florence is a must.

Reactions: