• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Interesting AAR, you rarely see one as Yugoslavia. The mod looks interesting, lots of flavour and historical things make it very interesting. I wonder if all the new techs make it a little too powerful, but we shall see. I'll keep an eye on your story anyways, great work so far.

That sounds pretty reasonable, thanks for the explanation.

This is a great AAR and actually makes me want to try out the mod (also I love that the mod limits shipbuilding by port size and IC, that's the first time I've seen a mod do that). The only criticism I have is the purchase of the South American battleships. One was fine, the next two seemed a bit odd but purchasing all five really strains credulity. I just can't see Chile, Argentina and Brazil all signing away the prides of their respective fleets. Were they really that eager to be rid of those battleships in real life?

This is a great AAR and actually makes me want to try out the mod (also I love that the mod limits shipbuilding by port size and IC, that's the first time I've seen a mod do that). The only criticism I have is the purchase of the South American battleships. One was fine, the next two seemed a bit odd but purchasing all five really strains credulity. I just can't see Chile, Argentina and Brazil all signing away the prides of their respective fleets. Were they really that eager to be rid of those battleships in real life?

The wiki said:
Almirante Latorre was placed in reserve for a time in the 1930s because of the Great Depression, but she was in good enough condition to receive interest from the United States after the attack on Pearl Harbor. This overture was declined and the ship spent most of the Second World War on patrol for Chile. She was scrapped in Japan beginning in 1959.

The Chileans, at the least, weren't even willing to sell their one battleship to the USA after Pearl. So...yeah. That's the one issue I have so far too. One could make an argument for the Brazilian ones (both of them were in pretty terrible shape because Brazil couldn't keep up on modernization and repairs IRL) perhaps. But not all five.

And that is why those events are under the 'Additional Events' that you can turn off at the very start. When you start the game you can choose between Historical Game or Additional Events.

1yCOBl6.png

In reality, NONE of those ships was for sale in the time scope of the game. Those who wanted to sell it, tried in 1920's. Some were sold, these 5 were not. And that is why the whole quest chain was placed under the 'Additional Events' that is a mix of alternative history events that have at least some foundation in reality, basing themselves on the things possible in the general time frame.

For instance, the Nuclear Project. While Yugoslavia did have scientists for that field of research, they were communists - a party banned before the start of the game. That is why only AFTER the war and a communist victory, they created the Nuclear Institute and started their work. The mod gives you an option, under the additional events, to lift the ban, hire those scientists (and rise the communist popularity and organization - a very bad thing if you lose the war and the resistance movement is founded - a thing that will be done in the v0.4 of the mod where party popularity plays a massive role). Sure, in 1939 Yugoslavia did not create the nuclear institute. Nor could they purchase the Olympic and Mauritania. But that is what additional events give you an option to do - play a bit with alternative history.

And that goes with the South American battleships. They were old, they tried to sell them and solve some economic problems while purchasing small modern patrol ships like destroyers and light cruisers. Chile mothballed the ship and of course they did now want to sell it when the war started already - by that time you do not sell your weapons with the promise of future ships.

They do cost a lot, and they give the respected countries modern destroyer fleets. I never said that it is historical.

Also, those are purchased through decisions - if you do not want to buy them - don't :) Create your own story. You can even choose the 'Additional Events', and when the event 'Purchase of battleships' comes up that unlocks the decisions for the purchase of battleships - you can simply decline. That way you will get alternative history events without the battleships. Or you can buy only one, two, three or all five - your call. What ever you think is OK mate ;)

If you want a completely historical game all you have to do is choose the 'Historical Events' at the beginning and you can enjoy a perfectly historical game without any alternative history what so ever. You have a freedom of choice. I created those events to have a bit of fun and they are very loosely based on some historical facts.

If you want to know more, there is a whole series of posts on the mod page:
General talk
Colonization
Rocket Program
Carrier and Battleship Program
Nuclear Program

Frankly, it was more of a stretch to buy British liners and convert them to carriers than it was to buy South American Battleships for money and modern destroyer fleets. :)

And I have chosen to play the AAR with 'Additional Events' in order to make it more interesting and show off as much of the mod as possible in a single AAR because I will not have the time to make several separate ones.
Ah ok, that's fine, I didn't know that the mod gives you that option. Thanks for answering. Like I said, the mod still looks great!