• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

staycool.

Second Lieutenant
3 Badges
Sep 20, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
Having played over 2.000 hours since day 1 when EUIV came out, i can attest that If there is one thing that makes a country truly unique in EUIV are it's national ideas and starting position. These two are closely linked, as they provide that unique flavor far more than anything else. Personally these are the two most important factors that make me decide which nation to play, and I believe that I am not alone in this. Seeing as how devs announced changes to the Balkan region, and since map changes and culture wars have already been posted and played out in these forums, i decided to make an in depth analysis of one of the nations in the Balkan region. If this post is met with positive response i will do this for other countries as well. Two key factors that decide suggested changes are their historical accuracy and benefit they provide from gameplay perspective (that is, the bonus itself and the impact it has when unlocked)

Serbian national ideas, if i am correct, were introduced in patch 1.2 and were mostly nerfed as the time went on.

Firstly, let's summarize the starting position:
#1: Serbia is located in the middle of the Balkan peninsula, it borders Bosnia to the west, Hungary to the north, Ottomans to the south/east and and two OPMs to it's south - Albania and Ragusa. Lastly there are three more countries in his immediate surroundings that the player can come in contact with: Byzantium, Wallachia and Venice.
#2 It's development is divided into 17bt/17production/8mp.
#3 The religion is Orthodox Christianity and tech group is Eastern.

Keeping these things in mind let's analyze Serbian NIs from both historical and gameplay perspective point by point:

• 1. Traditions are 15% manpower recovery speed and 15% reinforce speed.
The game depicts situation in 1444 quite accurately when it comes to manpower - during the middle ages Balkans was always scarcely populated, furthermore, exhausted by constant wars by the time the game starts, Serbia doesn't have many men available to take up arms, having traditions that fall in what is essentially army quantity ideas makes very little sense.
Serbia has a very small manpower pool - 13k when full, these traditions ultimately bring no reward in what is arguably the most critical phase of the game in this scenario.​
  • First idea: Code of Laws -1 unrest
Description says it's the inspiration for Serbia's very first code of laws, however this is false, since the first code of laws is Zakonopravilo created in 1219 by Rastko Nemanjic aka St. Sava. Since Serbian religion is Orthodox, all provinces are of Serbian culture and Orthodox faith, and since all expansion routes at the start are essentially into other orthodox/catholic territories that have the same culture group, this idea is lackluster at best seeing as how the player is very unlikely to face any revolt.​

• Second idea: Bastion of Orthodoxy -10% stability cost.
All of the countries that were the target of the Ottoman conquest considered themselves a bastion of Christianity, this is hardly unique for Serbia.
Again, since Serbia is orthodox, -10% stability cost on top of the additional -10% cost that is a bonus to orthodox faith, as well as orthodox events that grant free stability make this idea pretty underwhelming.​
  • Third idea: Home of the Hussars -10% cavalry cost
A well chosen idea from the historical perspective. However, this is my problem: cavalry is very weak, and in any proper army composition, even in very large armies, a player doesn't need more than 2-4 units of cavalry.​

• Fourth idea: Alemmanic Guard +15% cavalry combat ability
Historically, all countries in the Balkans hired mercenaries, Germans were only one of the groups, and only person to my knowledge that kept a Germanic guard was Tsar Dushan the Mighty. Lead by a knight named Palman, the guard is claimed to be consisted of 300 men. Keeping a guard of German knights was not by any means a tradition in medieval Serbia. Also, by the time the player unlocks this idea, the game is in mid to late 16th century, armored knights are a thing of the past. From the gameplay perspective regarding the bonus, everything that was said about Home of the Hussars applies to this idea as well.​

• Fifth idea: Gold Mines +10% production efficiency
Historically accurate, first bonus that is fine, nothing to add.​

• Sixth idea: Mercenary Armies -15% mercenary maintenance
As stated above, Serbian rulers did hire mercenaries, but this practice had died out by the end of 14th century. This bonus would make much more sense if it was moved to traditions.​

• Seventh idea: Balkan Hajduks +10% morale and Ambition +10% inf combat
I grouped these two together because they are unlocked at the same time: Standard army quality bonuses, they would shine if they were able to be unlocked earlier in the game.​
To summarize:
Out of 10 bonuses these ideas provide, two are good, one is ok, one is mediocre and six don't really do anything. Furthermore, the order in which they are unlocked makes it so that the only good bonus is received long after it is needed, as by this point the player has either dealt with the ottomans or is eaten by them.

This is a list of changes that will make Serbian NIs much more useful, historically accurate and will bring some much needed flavor to the country. In custom nation creator they take up precisely 52.1 points. They are by no means overpowered. Again, these are based on historical accuracy and benefit they would provide gameplay wise. I am also keeping in mind that the dev team has a lot on it's hands so i will attempt to keep the changes to a very minimum in the descriptions department.

• Traditions: 10% morale and -15% mercenary maintenance.
Serbia at the start has a land force limit of 10, even with the gold mine going just one unit above this limit will incur a negative income. It's manpower is 13k. 10% morale bonus is already included in original ideas, moving it to traditions would provide some much needed army quality early game and a lower mercenary maintenance will alleviate some of the problems such a low manpower pool incurs. Serbia did rely on mercenary armies in it's past, and morale bonus can be an abstraction of the almost constant state of warfare that came at the end of the 14th century and all the way to the very end. One only has to look at exploits of despot Stefan Lazarevic.

• First idea: Code of laws: +10% national tax income.
The idea should remain, but it's bonus should be changed. The historical The Code of Laws mentioned in this idea regulated tax, obligations to the king and lastly criminal law. 10% tax income will add some much needed income, especially considering that the land in the Balkans is not very developed in 1444.

• Second idea: National renaissance: +10% Institution spread
Description: The rule of the poet, thinker and artist Stefan Lazarević, was a period of renewed artistic development in Serbia. Stefan Lazarević himself was a poet, writing one of the major medieval Serbian literary works and opening one of the largest libraries in the Balkans in that period.
Bonus is also an abstraction of the western economic and cultural influence in Serbia of that period.

• Third idea: Home of the Hussars: +15% cavalry combat ability
As stated above, historically accurate, however bonus from Allemanic guard was moved to this idea. It makes much more sense than -10% cavalry cost.

• Fourth Idea: Morava architectural school: -10% construction cost
Description: An ecclesiastical architectural style that flourished in Serbia during Late middle ages, represents one of the most original artistic achievements of medieval Serbian art.

• Fifth idea: Gold mines +10% production efficiency.
Historically accurate, this idea should remain unchanged. (see code of Novo Brdo)

• Sixth idea: Balkan Hajduks (should probably be renamed to Serbian Hajduks) +10% infantry combat ability.
Again, historically accurate, bonus from ambitions is moved to this idea and is much more in line with description.

• Seventh idea: Army Reforms -5% Fire damage recieved and +3% (or 2.5%) discipline.
Description: Army Reforms introduced by Djordje Petrovic, known to Ottomans as the Black George, leader of the Serbian revolution. In order to successfully combat the overwhelmingly numerically superior opponent, Black George introduced field fortifications and strict discipline in the rebel army.
It is a nice double bonus idea, not overpowered. Historically accurate, Serbian rebel army built large field fortifications to mitigate ottoman artillery and numerical superiority. He was also known as a very strict man that disciplined the army comprised of former brigands, it is said that he personally executed over 150 people for not obeying the rules - including his own brother for raping a village girl. It is also an abstraction of numerous victories achieved by the Serbian rebel army during the 1804-1817 revolutions that resulted in Serbia becoming a state again. Falls withing the time frame of the game.

• Ambition: -10% Development Cost
Provinces in the Balkans are poor, cutting the development cost would introduce a nice option of developing the land you own, but another bonus could be applied here as well.

These bonuses are constructed to portray the Serbian despotate and the Serbian state in the centuries that came. It is a nice set of ideas, not overpowered, somewhat original but with every idea being useful. As a whole they make for a nice little set of tools that add to that feeling of defending your fort and building it up - a playstile that is forced upon Serbia by it's surroundings and circumstances.

Reactions:
Upvote 0
@Sanguine Caesar has shaken the rusty magic lamp, but otaats is finally here!

First things first: i personally don't consider EU4 ideas as exact thing they're describing, but an expansion and reform of these things.

For instance, Dušan's Code is already active for a century, and it's up to you to fully implement and expand on it. Personally i'm fine having the reduced unrest, but i agree on your analysis - it wasn't the first Serbian constitution, but a large and thorough expansion of it. A new, imperial constitution that lend some things from Zakonopravilo, Byzantine constitution, with many unique chapters. Interesting thing is, Dušan's Code has survived Serbian statehood, especially in Albania, where some rules of his code are also part of Kanun to this day. Dušan's code was culturally very influential in all former parts of Serbian Empire.

Bastion of Orthodoxy - I have to admit that after reading Bastion of Orthodoxy description, i immediately charge the trenches, but the idea itself is the weakest one for Serbia. I also believe National Renaissance is a great idea :) Stefan Lazarević is underappreciated.

Home of the Hussars/Alemmanic Guard - Agree wholeheartedly - Home of the Hussars should get the CCA+15%, and Alemmanic Guard can be a flavor name for the Mercenary Armies bonus. What i thought of though, is that Alemmanic Guard could potentially be a Merc Discipline idea, because that's what Alemmanic Guard was - creme de la creme of mercenaries. Not to undermine the Catalan infantry or Cuman/Pecheneg cavalry which was also used extensively. Gold Mines - Rename the idea to Code of Mines. Perfect. Again, Stefan Lazarević's legacy.

Mercenary Armies - i'm fine with it staying IF Alemmanic Guard becomes a Merc Discipline (+2.5%) idea. Thing is, Serbian rebels used a bunch of hired men (Serbs, but also Wallachians and other nationalities, depending on the area of fight). So i don't see this idea as being entirely unplausible.

Balkan Hajduks - You're right, Infantry combat ability makes a bunch of sense for this idea.

Ambition - dev cost - i don't see this one. I'd much rather have an attrition or a fort defense bonus, to either represent the difficult terrain or a dense fortification network within the realm.

One key comment though: Not every idea is meant to be super useful to everyone. Not that ideas should be senseless, but for a small kingdom, sometimes less awesome ideas are necessary. Serbia is considered to have one of the better military ideas in the game - not the best idea set, but mostly consistent with good combat bonuses. I also like the traditions - they are not combat buffs per se, but they do showcase an ability to fight devastating wars, and recover quickly after lost battles. I interpreted @DanubianCossak 's traditions as such.

The ideas are not written by gathering a bunch of optimal modifiers, because that way every set would be the same.

They need to be written within greater context of what kind of national ideas are around. In order to avoid having too many same theme Nis in one region.

The ideas are not written by gathering a bunch of optimal modifiers, because that way every set would be the same.

They need to be written within greater context of what kind of national ideas are around. In order to avoid having too many same theme Nis in one region.

But what i suggested doesn't involve having too many same NIs in the region. My primary motive was what does this bonus actually DO for you and if it is a good abstraction of something historical. As i said, at the start, traditions atm don't do anything. Albania for example has 20% fort defense in it's traditions. 20% fort defense is not an overpowered idea by any stretch, but in that context it is a downright brilliant idea as it facilitates an entire play style that opens up a lot of options at the start of the game. In other words, it provides a lot of utility and whoever chose that bonus did his job really well.
Keep in mind that current Serbian NIs were released in patch 1.2 (september 2013), the game has changed quite a lot since then. Current ideas don't provide any utility at the most critical phase of the game, and that is the start. You are bordering the Ottomans that are going to attack, Venice has a core on Montenegro and it always warns you, Wallachia no longer borders you and Ragusa is guaranteed by the Ottomans. You can't (thankfully) ally Austria and Poland on day 1 anymore. It is a very difficult start but that is precisely what makes it so great and i like what the devs did there. On the other hand, current Serbian traditions offer precisely nothing in the early game. I don't even know what are they an abstraction of.

Mercenary Armies - i'm fine with it staying IF Alemmanic Guard becomes a Merc Discipline (+2.5%) idea. Thing is, Serbian rebels used a bunch of hired men (Serbs, but also Wallachians and other nationalities, depending on the area of fight). So i don't see this idea as being entirely unplausible.

Ambition - dev cost - i don't see this one. I'd much rather have an attrition or a fort defense bonus, to either represent the difficult terrain or a dense fortification network within the realm.

One key comment though: Not every idea is meant to be super useful to everyone. Not that ideas should be senseless, but for a small kingdom, sometimes less awesome ideas are necessary. Serbia is considered to have one of the better military ideas in the game - not the best idea set, but mostly consistent with good combat bonuses. I also like the traditions - they are not combat buffs per se, but they do showcase an ability to fight devastating wars, and recover quickly after lost battles.

I never heard of the rebel army using hired men, 2.5% merc discipline doesn't make much sense and i don't even know if that modifier exists. Mercs were anything but disciplined.
And I admit, i was at a loss as to what to use for an ambition, but ambitions being precisely that (something you aspire to) reducing dev cost would go in line with rebuilding the country.

The idea set i proposed revolves around both utility and historical accuracy. In that entire set of ideas, i introduced only one bonus that is good and that is the last idea (Karadjordje did everything he could to discipline the army and they did use field fortifications when ever that was possible) and still it is not overtuned. All of the other modifiers provide some rather small utility as opposed to having six that provide nothing. If i wanted to use optimal modifiers, believe me, those ideas would have looked much different.

Also, Serbia didn't have an ability to fight devastating wars and recover quickly, Djuradj Brankovic had to seek help of Hungary and Bosnia, the army at his disposal kept getting smaller and smaller and situation in the despotate was only getting worse as the time went on. Again, those traditions make no sense.

Also, Serbia didn't have an ability to fight devastating wars and recover quickly, Djuradj Brankovic had to seek help of Hungary and Bosnia, the army at his disposal kept getting smaller and smaller and situation in the despotate was only getting worse as the time went on. Again, those traditions make no sense.

You're talking about a brief period between 1444 and 1459 when Serbia was on its last legs. Even in 1456/59 Serbia was able to pull off some victories against the Ottomans with a tiny army. Truth is, Kosovo battle ended 55 years before 1444, and the Serbian despotate is still up and running. That's what i call recovery, but okay.

You're talking about a brief period between 1444 and 1459 when Serbia was on its last legs. Even in 1456/59 Serbia was able to pull off some victories against the Ottomans with a tiny army. Truth is, Kosovo battle ended 55 years before 1444, and the Serbian despotate is still up and running. That's what i call recovery, but okay.

There was economical recovery but not a population recovery, and mainly thanks to the rule of Stefan Lazarevic, mining income and the chaos Ottomans found themselves after defeat at Ankara. Despotate and it's parts were occupied by Ottomans quite a few times, it ceased to exist in the period of 1439-1444, and it was only thanks to a coalition of Hungary, Poland and Wallachia together with some army from Serbia and Bosnia that Djuradj Braknovic was restored to the throne and his land was returned. Those victories you mention are victories of Nikola Skobaljic. The despot told him to surrender to the Ottomans but he refused, won some victories but was ultimately defeated. State of constant warfare reduces population, game portrays that pretty well with low manpower development in Serbia. In the end, when Serbian despotate finally fell, it fell without a struggle, there was not enough army left to defend it. Manpower recovery and whatnot simply didn't exist, it was a constant downward spiral.

It does already exist. The Age of Reformation bonus for it is the first thing that comes to mind.

Yes, this is where i've drawn my inspiration from; the bonus itself is scarce for in game tags (though i'm sure there is one in India that has it, if i recall well). It would be quite a unique idea.

There was economical recovery but not a population recovery, and mainly thanks to the rule of Stefan Lazarevic, mining income and the chaos Ottomans found themselves after defeat at Ankara. Despotate and it's parts were occupied by Ottomans quite a few times, it ceased to exist in the period of 1439-1444, and it was only thanks to a coalition of Hungary, Poland and Wallachia together with some army from Serbia and Bosnia that Djuradj Braknovic was restored to the throne and his land was returned. Those victories you mention are victories of Nikola Skobaljic. The despot told him to surrender to the Ottomans but he refused, won some victories but was ultimately defeated. State of constant warfare reduces population, game portrays that pretty well with low manpower development in Serbia. In the end, when Serbian despotate finally fell, it fell without a struggle, there was not enough army left to defend it. Manpower recovery and whatnot simply didn't exist, it was a constant downward spiral.

Yes, there was a massive economic recovery, that helped fund large cavalry armies and repair fortifications. Morale recovery is something else though.
Serbian Despotate fell when it got inherited by the Bosnian King, who was inept and literally didn't want to defend. This destroyed his reputation among the catholics, thus he lost a lot of power and support, dying in siege of Jajce 4 years after. Serbs easily had around 10 000 cavalry at all times, but at this time more likely in Hungary/Belgrade. I understand where you're coming from though. Just don't think that the current NI set is bad from top to bottom.

Yes, this is where i've drawn my inspiration from; the bonus itself is scarce for in game tags (though i'm sure there is one in India that has it, if i recall well). It would be quite a unique idea.

They are not bad top to bottom, 10% inf combat and 10% morale are good, 10% production is ok, it's just that everything else is quite horrible and has no function in the early game when everything is decided and by the time you unlocked the good ideas you already won the game. With Serbia you have to be aggressive and strike at the opportune moment, especially with the recent changes. Your economy is bad, your manpower is bad, at 11k stack you are going into debt. 15% manpower recovery and 15% reinforce speed on a manpower pool that is 13k do what exactly? Give you extra 20 manpower a month and cause your regiments to replenish faster when you are already at 0 manpower to begin with and you are forced to use mercs?
I don't understand why you insist on this, current ideas are so bland that they remind me of heavily watered down Polish ideas from the 1.0 patch. You want to make Balkans interesting to play? Adding a bunch of small provinces to countries that have nothing going for them won't make people interested in playing them. I've spent around 90% of my playtime in multiplayer so maybe i suffer from that min-max mentality, but even if that is the case you can't deny that having your country with bland national ideas makes for poor gameplay.
Albania has it's hit and run shtick combined with quantity and defensiveness, Ragusa has the navy/trade set, Wallachia is a somewhat mixed bag of quality/quantity coupled with some diplomatic ideas. Serbia should be quality and economy (think armored cavalry and gold mines) but current ideas offer very little in those terms, and even Bosnia that comes with a very weak NI set at least has proper traditions that help it early game.
As you can see i didn't list OP modifiers, all of them give you very little bit and with that my proposed changes are supposed to create a specific feeling to a country that is determined by it's national ideas, and that is what makes it unique more than a proposed change of 2.5% merc discipline that is, quite honestly, a really bad idea despite it's "uniqueness" - even tho a few other countries have that modifier.

Meh, i think one of us is arguing an orange, and the other one an apple. I personally don't care about multiplayer, since EU4 versus multi will always be an unbalanced mess. I just disagree that the current set is bland, i just believe 40% of it can be improved on.

So basically, your theory is that every country should reflect standard ideas with their own idea sets, and not being a hybrid of several different ideas? I strongly disagree. Combining quantity like ideas with some other ones, or whatever, makes the NIs that more versatile and unique - if you focus on one-way idea set for Serbia, you have to do it for everyone else, and as Danub said, that way, every NI set would be the same..

I don't disagree with your ideas for improvement, i just don't see the development cost one, and i believe ideas/bonuses are mostly good as they are, though i'd prefer if CCA is to be moved to 1st or 2nd slot, since Serbian cavalry was the most sought after in early mid-mid game. I'm okay with the Morale recovery tradition, the second one i don't care about, and i'm good with giving it an Army morale boost. The economy argument i don't get, have you played Lithuania? Or Ruthenia? Or Orissa? I can go on. They have much less money and they field larger armies. The last time i played Serbia, it took just a few dev-ups to field a max FL army..

Anyways, you strongly disagree, and if you find that our idea sets are crappy, you're free to continue coming up with your own. :) I personally like your ideas, some of them could legitimately replace some of Danub's, but i find the set too well optimized. That's my whole point. Best of luck to you :)

But what i suggested doesn't involve having too many same NIs in the region. My primary motive was what does this bonus actually DO for you and if it is a good abstraction of something historical. As i said, at the start, traditions atm don't do anything. Albania for example has 20% fort defense in it's traditions. 20% fort defense is not an overpowered idea by any stretch, but in that context it is a downright brilliant idea as it facilitates an entire play style that opens up a lot of options at the start of the game. In other words, it provides a lot of utility and whoever chose that bonus did his job really well.
Keep in mind that current Serbian NIs were released in patch 1.2 (september 2013), the game has changed quite a lot since then. Current ideas don't provide any utility at the most critical phase of the game, and that is the start. You are bordering the Ottomans that are going to attack, Venice has a core on Montenegro and it always warns you, Wallachia no longer borders you and Ragusa is guaranteed by the Ottomans. You can't (thankfully) ally Austria and Poland on day 1 anymore. It is a very difficult start but that is precisely what makes it so great and i like what the devs did there. On the other hand, current Serbian traditions offer precisely nothing in the early game. I don't even know what are they an abstraction of.

Not every thing in ideas is supposed to be (super) useful. Some things are just fillers. Ideas (at least those that i do) are written with historical inspiration (some are just memes, like Smolensk), and Serbia was - wiped off the map.

Not every thing in ideas is supposed to be (super) useful. Some things are just fillers. Ideas (at least those that i do) are written with historical inspiration (some are just memes, like Smolensk), and Serbia was - wiped off the map.

Buddy, having fillers with bad modifiers is just lazy idea writing. Also, if you intend to have useless ideas then what is the point in the first place? Take a look at the modifiers i suggested and find one that is overtuned, out of place or historically inaccurate apart from maybe the ambition where i specifically stated that anything else can be put in it's place.

Buddy, having fillers with bad modifiers is just lazy idea writing.

Buddy, why do you think these modifiers are in game? They are in to be used.

Also, if you intend to have useless ideas then what is the point in the first place?

The purpose of fillers is variety. Its very simple. If you take a region of 10 tags and use only useful ideas, you only end up using like 15 different modifiers, and NIs end up looking similar (mostly people tend to overdo military modifiers), and thus not implemented.

Take a look at the modifiers i suggested and find one that is overtuned, out of place or historically inaccurate apart from maybe the ambition where i specifically stated that anything else can be put in it's place.

I wasnt commenting on your set, but speaking in general.