• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HottestRod

Associate Product Marketing Manager
May 14, 2018
Please click on the arrow to reach the original post should you have questions ;)

UPDATE: WE WILL CLOSE THE APPLICATION TODAY, OCT 29 at 12:00 CET! WE RECEIVED TONS OF APPLICATION AND ARE VERY EXCITED TO REVIEW ALL PROFILES! THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

Hi everyone!

Want to help us our awesome development team on Crusader Kings III? We have just opened the our closed beta application! We are looking for diversity in experiences and interests, so do not hesitate to apply! To join the Beta Program, you are required to sign up to the Paradox Forums as an account is needed to get access to our Beta Forum and bug reporting software!

Applications are opened for 1 week only (end on Nov 4)!

https://pdxint.at/2BNz5AL

Last edited:
Ah yes, i always wanted to be unpaid game tester. Go hire real QA already, it will really help you.
Actually, I used to be a closed beta tester for a lot of games. A company only has a limited amount of funds to allocate to specific computer builds. It's easier for them to get the data they need by opening up their game to external testers. This is because every tester's rig is different and presents a different set of data. This includes software and OS. We're looking at over a million different permutations just in hardware and software combinations. Yet, here you are expecting Paradox to have over a million plus different system configurations to test along with the employees needed to run them.

Actually, I used to be a closed beta tester for a lot of games. A company only has a limited amount of funds to allocate to specific computer builds. It's easier for them to get the data they need by opening up their game to external testers. This is because every tester's rig is different and presents a different set of data. This includes software and OS. We're looking at over a million different permutations just in hardware and software combinations. Yet, here you are expecting Paradox to have over a million plus different system configurations to test along with the employees needed to run them.

Yes because Paradox is a small company that does not cut their games in pieces and release them as overpriced "dlcs" and there is no way that they treat their QA like **** https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...aradox-may-affect-the-quality-of-ck3.1262056/

[Mod edit: quoted text removed. Duplicate flamebait]

No, it's the opposite. In all my years of doing it, the companies have always made a better product. This is due to the sheer amount of feedback that they receive. This is why companies still use closed alphas and betas over internal testing. They get a large sample size that they cannot afford to pay for. It also means that they have 1000+ times the pairs of eyes reviewing the game and finding broken things that would be impossible for a small team of QA people to do. That is unless you want to treat them as slaves and force them to work insane amount of hours to test every single feature repeatedly.

I've been beta testing software since 1996 for a variety of companies. Many of them are no longer in existence.

Last edited by a moderator:
While it is true that non-professional beta testers aren't nearly as efficient as professional ones, this is just one aspect of the closed beta.
One other, as pointed by ThePatriot, is to have a much wider array of builds, so your exotic computer has a much higher chance of actually running the game.
Player feedback, not only on bug but also on UI, gameplay, transition from CK2 to CK3, or experience on other PDX games are also very important parts of what they want.
This also might be to avoid another backlash like Imperator, to adjust the game and what the devs say due to what the more player-oriented testers can say.

as per person yes its ineffective. But when you dont do that suddently after you relase game %45 of people cant open game because people that dont have ssd cards are unable to launch game or someting like that
companies cant have an example of all computers in globe

You're posing a false dilemma here. Ideally a company will utilize both professional QA staff and consumer testing. Both of them have benefits.

It's also worth noting that utilizing consumer testing is a generally accepted industry practice and fairly common both in the gaming industry and in other entertainment fields.

If a company stopped professional QA altogether in favor of consumer testing I'd be a bit more worried...

Me too. I wasn't going to, as my gaming time is a bit stretched... but then I thought - heck with it. This sort of thing really doesn't come along very often. I'm veteran enough to be useful, without being hidebound about it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.