• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

mhilker

Recruit
62 Badges
Jan 10, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
One line summary of your issue
Ruler Challenges not showing up under Linux

Game Version
[3.3.0] [XDSW]

What expansions do you have installed?

Monks & Mystics,
The Reapers Due,
Horse Lords,
Way of Life,
Charlemagne,
Sons of Abraham,
The Old Gods,
The Republic,
Legacy of Rome,
Sword of Islam,
Holy Fury

Do you have mods enabled?
No

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
I can't find any "Ruler Challenge" or any reference to Monarch's Journey in the game.

Steps to reproduce the issue.

Upload Attachment

Upvote 0
I tried to run it through Proton instead of natively, and I still can't get the feature to work :( I think the scenario launching mechanism is supposed to be under that grey box on the right? (image included)

Attachments

• ck2 proton.png
    ck2 proton.png
    3,2 MB · Views: 142
oh.. that explains why I was unable to find anything when looking for it..

PS: ..this is worrying..I hope it won't become a trend

Last edited:
I enjoy Paradox games and I loved that I can play them on any platform. Linux and even Mac support is important to me. If this becomes the norm going forward that would be a real shame.

Having excellent Linux support is the reason I've bought all the DLC for CK2, EU4, HOI4, and Stellaris - they're the best strategy games on Linux, at least IMO. I do not think it's fair to release OS-specific features when we're all paying customers.

I really enjoy your games and voted Paradox for best publisher on the Steam Awards. But if this becomes a trend I will not be buying further titles, nor will I recommend them to my Windows friends for multiplayer sessions.

Hi, sorry to say the Monarch's Journey feature currently isn't available on Linux as some background tech it uses doesn't support the OS.

Most of us Linux users are very technical and some of us are programmers, so if you wouldn't mind to explain in a bit more details what background tech is this? and why was it chosen for a multi platform game? Also what does that mean in regards of Linux support for CK3 and what can those of us who have only Linux do to also get these cosmetics?

I tried with proton but I get a screen with a number (302 or something, it looks like an HTTP response error) on top of both announcements (but they seem to be loading underneath it).

This is very bad for me, CK2 (and all of Paradox games in general) has always been one of the titles that I showcase as "This is how you do multiplatform", but this (using a non multiplatform tool for something that can very likely be done with the existing apis that already communicate with the paradox server) does not inspire much confidence that the people that were responsible for the ports are still working there or are being given the same attention they were before.

Edit: I just re-read my message and it seemed a bit hostile, just wanted to say still love you guys and I understand that this is probably some anti-cheat measure but it's a bit annoying not being able to participate from this, and I would like some more in depth explanation, as well as possible solutions (because I don't think is fair that we be penalized because of the tech choice) sorry if it came up a bit rude.

Last edited:
Wow, well come on guys I love purchasing your games when I catch them on sale because I am a Linux gamer and I want to support game developers that are here. I have no idea how many long hours I have in paradox games but this kind of stuff will make it harder. Even considering your choice to almost have as much dlc as train simulator.

Hi there,
Just wanted to give some explanation on the Monarch's Journey and Linux situation.
We've never stopped supporting Linux as a platform. However we've previously been running some A/B-test on interface changes in the game - there should be a thread giving some more information on this somewhere on the main forum - and the way we've delivered these features to groups of players / control groups is through a 3rd party service.

When we adapted the featured ruler feature they tested out before and turned it into the Monarch's Journey we still needed to have a way to deliver the content on a scheduled basis without patching the game every second week (this is something we wouldn't have the resources to do). So we decided to continue using the same 3rd party service but in a slightly different fashion. Unfortunately the service that we're using doesn't have any Linux support so that makes it impossible for us to include that platform in the scheduled content. Hopefully you'll be able to enjoy the content to some extent by looking up the ruler's on Monarch's Journey and start your own playthroughs with the same characters through a custom game setup instead (it's possible to start at any date between 1066.9.15 - 1337.1.1 in a custom game).

Something I can't make any promises on yet but something we want to do is to later on patch the full schedule into the game when every monarch has been released. However this would require a bunch of resources to make code changes to the feature which we might not have when that day comes.

Hi there,
Just wanted to give some explanation on the Monarch's Journey and Linux situation.
We've never stopped supporting Linux as a platform. However we've previously been running some A/B-test on interface changes in the game - there should be a thread giving some more information on this somewhere on the main forum - and the way we've delivered these features to groups of players / control groups is through a 3rd party service.

When we adapted the featured ruler feature they tested out before and turned it into the Monarch's Journey we still needed to have a way to deliver the content on a scheduled basis without patching the game every second week (this is something we wouldn't have the resources to do). So we decided to continue using the same 3rd party service but in a slightly different fashion. Unfortunately the service that we're using doesn't have any Linux support so that makes it impossible for us to include that platform in the scheduled content. Hopefully you'll be able to enjoy the content to some extent by looking up the ruler's on Monarch's Journey and start your own playthroughs with the same characters through a custom game setup instead (it's possible to start at any date between 1066.9.15 - 1337.1.1 in a custom game).

Something I can't make any promises on yet but something we want to do is to later on patch the full schedule into the game when every monarch has been released. However this would require a bunch of resources to make code changes to the feature which we might not have when that day comes.

That is understandable, but if we do that will we get the cosmetics on CK3? or are we doomed to not get them on account of the OS/tech stack incompatibility?

I tried to run it through Proton instead of natively, and I still can't get the feature to work :( I think the scenario launching mechanism is supposed to be under that grey box on the right? (image included)
I got the same, probably because of the video player shown in the left panel. You can collapse that panel by adding "dismissed_rtt=yes" to your settings.txt file. This fixed it for me.

I got the same, probably because of the video player shown in the left panel. You can collapse that panel by adding "dismissed_rtt=yes" to your settings.txt file. This fixed it for me.

Is this the settings.txt under /home/user/.paradoxinteractive/Crusader Kings II/ ?
So many Paradox folders, it's confusing.

I placed "dismissed_rtt=yes" in home/user/.paradoxinteractive/Crusader Kings II/settings.txt running Proton but still get this -302 error.

Is this the settings.txt under /home/user/.paradoxinteractive/Crusader Kings II/ ?
So many Paradox folders, it's confusing.

I placed "dismissed_rtt=yes" in home/user/.paradoxinteractive/Crusader Kings II/settings.txt running Proton but still get this -302 error.

Answer to myself. I misread the settings.txt solution I think, "dismissed_rtt=yes" doesn't remove the 302 itself but collapsing the video via the left arrow next to menu does. Now I can see the Monarch challenges and they work via Proton as it looks like so far. I don't have the Rulers challenges though or can't find them.

This is disappointing. Paradox should put a disclaimer next to announcements and posts that talk about Monarch's Journey to explain that only Windows is supported, it's not obvious at all why it wasn't working.

Sorry for the late reply. We finally managed to get a patch out where we put all of the currently released rulers for Monarch's Journey to be available for linux players. Please update to 3.3.3 to enjoy the feature.
Due to the underlying technology we're still unable to have future rulers roll out on a schedule for the Linux platform but unlocking all of the cosmetic items for CK3 should be well within reach with the current set.

• 2Like
Reactions: