Cities: Skylines Fixes Wishlist

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Escher

Senior Community Manager
19 Badges
Oct 7, 2013
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Magicka
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Magicka 2
  • Paradox Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Magicka 2 - Signup Campaign
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Cities: Skylines
  • War of the Roses
Hi folks!

This is basically a clone of a thread I just made on Reddit, as some of you may know I'm picking up where TotalyMoo left off. Although I've done the best I can to get up to speed there's sure to be things I miss with such a large active community.

So, a really useful question from me to you would be "Which particular bug/issue would you most like to see fixed with Cities: Skylines (and expansions)?"

With this information it helps me best look after your needs when asking for Dev time etc. :)

Please do chime in below! Instead of multiple requests if you could "Agree" mark reports that you really think are important to you that'd be awesome.

Thanks!

Reactions:
I start with my favourite problem (and sometimes a problem for beginners) : Deathwaves!
I managed it two times to produce a deathwave city. What about to do a fix, that flattens the waves by 40-50% per wave?
And one wish: I read somewhere here longer time ago that the devs forgot to implement tunnels for the map editor. Would be fun not to pay for the upkeep of long tunnels!

Reactions:
I'd like to add a rather visual glitch, that's been bugging me since launch.
Those holes through the world when you place streets on too steep slopes.

You could add murals there to fill the gaps.

Attachments

• 2016-02-23 (3).pdf
    1,1 MB · Views: 370
  • 2016-02-23 (5).pdf
    892,3 KB · Views: 454
Last edited:
Reactions:
I'll make a double post because of obvious reasons for the agree-function.

Traffic behaviour. If the AI from the Traffic Manager President Edition would implemented in the core code of the game the performance hit wouldn't be as big as now. And it isn't even big now.

Reactions:
Reactions:
more rotating angles for e.g. highway-interchange
with apple magic mouse, i can rotate with rightclick 8 times for a full rotation
ist ist possible to increase this up to 16 or 32 times, so that i can fit the interchanges better to an existing highway?

Reactions:
more rotating angles for e.g. highway-interchange
with apple magic mouse, i can rotate with rightclick 8 times for a full rotation
ist ist possible to increase this up to 16 or 32 times, so that i can fit the interchanges better to an existing highway?
You can freely place them, hold the right mouse button and move the mouse, this way you can place them exactly.

Reactions:
I've been having the issue of not having enough city services for what ever reason and because of this people abandon their businesses and homes. I've been playing from Day 1 and have never had this issue before, so it looks like something broke with the latest update. No matter how many types of City Services you put down, it doesn't correct the problem.

My suggestion to the devs: Sit down and actually play the game for a considerable amount of time, you'll notice quite a few issues with the last patch.

Reactions:
Separate budgets for each service building, so that the monthly cost you pay depends on the usage. Basically the more usage there is for the building, the bigger the budget should be. If the budget is too low, there will be a strike. That would make the finance system more interesting I think.

Reactions:
Mostly small stuff:

Please fix the bug that blocks external passenger trains from stopping at workshop train stations. Please also allow us to designate whether we want a particular station and platform to service external trains.

Freight trains spawned on external lines quickly overload the freight network. This seems to be because: (1) Each freight station with an external connection spawns its own personal freight train in addition to whatever the network might demand, and (2) The game prioritizes delivery speed over efficiency, so most trains spawned are at 50% or less capacity and a large number are at 10% capacity. Modders have tried to increase the minimum loading at which trains will spawn; this causes stores and industries to shut down due to insufficient access to goods. The game appears to excessively prioritize delivery speed for train-borne cargo. The solution seems to be to ease the time sensitivity of train-borne cargo,

Ditto for passenger trains. Every passenger station connected to the outside spawns its personal train. Passenger trains often get spawned for just a single passenger. The result is a clogged rail network, unless the player physically segregates the external and internal train networks.

Ditto for ships, except that the growth in ship traffic is exponential with every additional seaport or cargo hub. Even one seaport in my experience can spawn six or more half-filled freighters. Adding more seaports does not relieve congestion, but instead increases congestion by spreading the cargo among more ships. At the moment, freighter traffic looks like this:

http://i.imgur.com/LdrHvYc.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions:
Thanks for this!

More meaningful tourism, please...

In a new city I had just started (post-Snowfall), pop <7000, I designated a small area, just one street in the center of town, to tourism. Next time I looked, it was full of hi-rise hotels! The city does have local tram and bus lines, but no outside connections apart from the initial highway. No monuments or other attractions apart from parks and a cinema. According to the graphs, tourist numbers peaked at 55 and averaged about 30, most of them low wealth, nevertheless, all buildings in the tourist district leveled up to their maximum in no time. There doesn't seem to be a relation between the number of tourists and the success of the businesses, and although one can see the amounts of workers in the hotels, there's no way to find out about visitors.
It does look nice, though, but improbable...

Reactions:
- run by default in DirectX9 rather than 11. There is no downside since we use no DX11 features, and this is virtually a requirement for Windows 10. There must be many users who've given up on the game because it ran once then never again (a typical symptom of this)

- provide a rollback to the last version of each major patch in the Steam Betas tab, as EU4 and CK2 do. This will ameliorate problems (such as unplayable save games) caused by outdated mods, such as we've seen with 1.3 and Traffic++

- react better to having too many mods and assets subscribed, rather than just crash or fail to start. Develop some metric for assets and mods, such as used by the Mesh Info mod, so people can evaluate the impact of each subscription. As it stands there is no way for someone to know how close they are to having too many subscriptions

- clearer info in output_log.txt on what exact mod or asset triggered any particular crash or error

Reactions:
Some graphical glitches on roads.

Attachments

• Graphic 2.jpg
    Graphic 2.jpg
    43,9 KB · Views: 130
Reactions:
Reactions:
Trams get stuck on parked cars on the following roads:
- Two-lane Road with Tram Tracks
- Two-lane One-Way Road with Tram Tracks

Trams get stuck when:
(1) There is a parked car at the corner, and the tram attempts to make a turn. The tram will ram the parked car and get stuck.
(2) There is a parked car at a curve in the road, and the tram attempts to navigate the curve, The tram will ram the parked car and get stuck.

Example:
hlCTWWc.jpg

This makes trams worse than useless in every situation except for perfectly straight grids. This really needs to be fixed, because trams are 50% of the expansion, and really should have been better tested.

Ideally, please just add versions of tram track roads that do not feature useless parking. At least so that we can make tram traffic circles without stupid on-street parking.

Edit2:

Actually, just QA trams for more than five seconds and you'll fine half a dozen major problems with them. Like trams getting stuck when turning from a dedicated tram lane onto a mixed-traffic lane.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Just gonna quote myself from another thread as I'm too tired to do any kind of substantial writing right now.

[...] it's easy to tell what we want to see changed or fixed through just sorting workshop content by 'most subscribed' and ticking on 'mods' and going through the top of the list.
  • Automatic bulldoze: A lot of us really don't like the bulldozing minigame and have gotten rid of it with a mod that is the n°1 by amount of subscribers. It tells you that the bulldozing part really isn't the most succesful piece of design.
  • All 25 areas purchaseable: A lot of us really, really like to unlock all tiles, despite objections over agent limitations. We get why you're not in favour of it ... and yet we really want that option. So just let it be a toggable option that comes with a clear warning?
  • Extended Public Transport UI: obsolete! Hurray! Kudos to CO for that one.
  • Tree brush: We seem to find that planting single trees is really, really tedious.
  • Traffic Report Tool 2.0: Without this one, is actually quite hard to find out what is causing traffic to come down to a grind. The visual indicator of traffic jams are nice, but the base game really doesn't give us enough data to work with. This is a major frustration given how the game hinges on managing traffic. This mod fixes that and is considered a lifesaver by many.
  • First-person camera: what do I even need to say?
  • Precision engineering: because despite the standard tools, putting down that perfect grid remains hard, especially when you're playing on a map that isn't a boring flat plane ... which is essentially every map. It seems like such a little thing but it really dramatically improves quality of life when you're building.
  • Extended Road Upgrade: its functionality was included into the base game ... and yet it remains very popular. This tells you the system you've put in place just isn't good enough.
  • Toggle Traffic Lights: Oh djeez, this really is a big one! Once you realize how the traffic simulator actually works, there is no way around this one. A great many of my traffic problems simply went away by smart planning of traffic lights! This should really be a no-brainer!
  • Terraform tool: What needs to be said? We know we want it, and you know we want it. Do we even need to explain why? The map editor is nice, but it's no replacement for actually being able to correct the terrain to your city's needs.
  • Automatic emptying: Another one that tells you a particular piece of design isn't really succesful. When people automaze things, you know they hate it. So change the mechanic or just get rid of it.
  • Mod Archievement Enabler: Ehh, essentially cheating? Surprised this hasn't been fixed yet.
  • All Spaces Unlocked: Redundant, see n°2, we really want it.
  • Auto Line Color: One of those quality of life issues that dramatically improves planning by providing us with visual data.
  • City Vitals Watch: Yup, another 'quality of life' improvement that makes things so much more practical just by given us constant visual feedback.
  • Network Extensions Project: Where to even start? I mean; we all know it was going to happen, right? The most expansive mods for City Builders have always been the traffic network ones. It's frustrating that Snowfall comes without new roads. No City Builder DLC should ever come without new roads (yes, that should be a design goal). I know, Snowfall comes with trams ... but roads really are the meat and potatoes of this game. Trams are awesome because they relieve roads somewhat. Now we just need more roads to relieve. More roads, damnit!
  • Crossings: Absolutely essential to managing pedestrian traffic flows, because without them we're completely dependent on road intersections, which is absolutely terrible.

What's obvious from this list is that the most popular mods generally do one of the following:

• Give better visual indicators and data-driven feedback in the UI
  • Automize tedious minigames
  • Import tools from the map editor
  • Unlock detailed player control over transport infrastructure
  • Add new roads and road options

So, long story short: rather than collecting people's pet lists, look at what the most subscribed to mods on Steam are, figure out exactly which fix/issue makes them so popular and then create an improved version of those changes for inclusion into a DLC. At this point, it's not a question of fixing any single kind of thing. It's a question of getting rid of large incompatibilities between mods that are perceived as mandatory to the broadest amount of players and making that content available to everyone. You do that by integrating those mods' contents into the game properly.

Right now we need a 'boring' DLC that takes care of the above issues. Focus on making as many popular mods as possible obsolete. It'll fix the most glaring issues, take care of most of the criticism you've been receiving, make space for new mods and generally push the game forwards in the direction that most of us want and are willing to pay for. Once that's been done we can start talking in earnest about the next particular thing we'd like to see.

Last edited:
Reactions: