• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Arheo

Game Director - Hearts of Iron
Paradox Staff
Feb 13, 2018
Our next iteration on the Cicero beta is now live.

A whole host of balance changes are included, as well as the first look at the Tribal laws rework.

As usual, this is considered an experimental build, but do please leave feedback where appropriate.

### Pops and Migration
- Slaves will no longer promote if it means you would lose a tradegood production
- Migrants will no longer target cities over population capacity
- Slaves will no longer migrate autonomously
- Impact of non-dominant religion/culture upon assimilation and conversion has been reduced
- You can now enslave population in cities protected by Zone of Control, with an internal cooldown of about 5 years.

### Buildings
- Granary decreased to 4 Population Capacity (from 5)
- Library increased to 4% desired Citizen ratio (from 2.5%), and 3% Citizen Happiness (from 2%)
- Forum increased to 4% desired Freeman ratio (from 2.5%), and 3% Freeman Happiness (from 2%)
- Workshop increased to 3% Slaves output and happiness (from 2%)
- Temple increased to 3% Happiness for Same Religion (from 2%)
- Theatre increased to 3% Happiness for Same Culture (from 2%)
- Aqueduct increased to 0.03 Pop Growth (from 0.01)

### Governor Policies
- Added a new Governor Policy: Harsh Treatment
- Reduced bonus migration attraction from Centralize Population and Decentralize Population to 1, for affected cities.

### Governments and Characters
- Migratory units no longer have any maintenance value
- Stateless Migrant Hordes may now declare war even when at low stability
- Populists now have a 33% reduction to Political Influence, rather than a flat -2
- Disloyal characters no longer get wages from the government
- All Tribal Laws replaced

### Units
- Price of Chariots reduced from 8 to 6
- Price of Heavy Cavalry reduced from 15 to 10, training time increased from 60 to 120 days, increased damage against Light Cavalry and Camels.

### Misc
- Invention costs are now based on gold per pop in country
- Peace Treaty tooltip will now display which nation receives aggressive expansion

Known Issues

- We're aware of an out of sync issue affecting multiplayer games, we recommend using this build for single-player only, until this is addressed.
- Character Interactions that target listed characters are currently non-functional, we're working on a fix.

To access the beta:

Steam
  1. Right-click the game in your library
  2. Open Properties
  3. Select the BETAS tab
  4. and select 1.2-beta - Cicero Beta
GOG
  1. Open the game's page on the launcher
  2. Select More button
  3. Go to Settings > Beta Channels and on the right select On
  4. In the channel list, select '1.2-beta - Cicero Beta'

Last edited:
Thanks for another update.
I'll be giving this a test run shortly :)

And a special thanks up front for addressing the migration to over capacity cities and slave promotion!

Last edited:
Slaves will no longer promote if it means you would lose a tradegood production

I read this as a nudge from what Johan revealed by tweet the other day; he said slaves wont promote out of surplus if every available holding in the city has been assigned.

... i suppose this is a cleaner way of doing it, especially with an eye to large countries that may not keep up with each availavle holding, and maybe the AI, and character/event stuff that messes with holdibg ownership-capacity.

... fleeting goods-surpluses made for some irrationally fleeting trade deals, so this is pretty important.

Thanks for the buffs on heavy cav. I'd really like to see that HI invention nerfed, but for now this is probably fine. (maybe?) At least LC/HI spam has a real counter now, even if HC are slower.

- Granary decreased to 4 Population Capacity (from 5)

this nerf is going in the wrong direction IMO. I would prefer an expensive granary whose cost scales the more granaries are built.

Any capital with 80 pops, demands that granaries occupy more than half of building slots. Now the same capital will only have granaries without the other buildings.

[...]

Any capital with 80 pops, demands that granaries occupy more than half of building slots. Now the same capital will only have granaries without the other buildings.

... unless you produce or import some grain or let your pops spread to other cities.

I think a very high ratio of granaries isnt supposed to be efficient, and this is achived by buffig some of the other buildings while nerfingh granaries.

... we still have very significant pop capacity multipliers from capitals ports rivers and grain. Still good tools and good incentives to make cities big.

... there are other ways to tweak this stuff but im interestef to see how this plays out - particularly alongside the fix to the ”over-migration” issue!

Great stuff PDS. :)

I've hardly played Cicero (2 hours) yet the one concern I noticed, ie pops, in particular slaves migrating wily-nily and thereby potentially losing a trade good has been fixed. Marvellous.

You can now enslave population in cities protected by Zone of Control, with an internal cooldown of about 5 years.

I'm assuming this is post war and settled within a peace treaty, can anyone confirm?

- Populists now have a 33% reduction to Political Influence, rather than a flat -2

This means I can now avoid killing/imprisoning/banishing/smearing rep of every populist party leader who'll become Consul LOL

- Migrants will no longer target cities over population capacity

- Slaves will no longer promote if it means you would lose a tradegood production

- Impact of non-dominant religion/culture upon assimilation and conversion has been reduced

Love these things.