• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ColossusCaelum

Recruit
Mar 10, 2015
Changing resolution in the game doesn't have any effect. I'm sticking with 16:9 resolutions. Going from 1920x1080 to 1600x900 or 1280x720 doesn't change the UI or text size and the exact same map area is displayed. This makes it impossible for me to play the game right now since my only PC is hooked up to my tv and the text is impossible to read.

This is a Windows 7 x64 machine with GTX 760 graphics card.

Upvote 0
can reproduce this too.

Language: German
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz (8 core(s))
System Memory: 16380
Gfx Device: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

Hello everyone! When you say that changing resolution in the game doesn't have any effect, do you mean that it doesn't have any effect at all and that the resolution you changed from is still left? For example, if you change from 1280x720 to 1920x1080, is it still 1280x720? Or do you mean that changing the resolution doesn't affect the UI size and font size in the game?

my games was set to 1920x1080 after first start.

changing resolution to a lower size, only the fonts are getting more blurred.
changing the resolution from 1920x1080, nothing happened except game is asking if I want to use the new resolution. clicking on ok, option is still showing 1920x1080.

Changing the resolution to a smaller size than 1920x1080 has no effect of the UI size, distance of map/building ingame,...

same with AA , it was disabled by default, and I set it on yes. but AA still not working ingame and switching AA on or of while in a city, didn't see any changes.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?842320-Graphic-Issue

so for me looks like, that most of the changes in option menu didn't get saved.

As you can see in the my picture (user Pajopath) in linked thread, I have enabled all options an fullHD, but the ingame screen is far far away to the "full detailed" screens of your company. ;)

@MotherLeopard, should there any DebugOutput in the logs when changing something in the options? So I could check the output today evening, while changing resolution and AA again.

Hi WizoneDE!

changing resolution to a lower size, only the fonts are getting more blurred.
Changing the resolution to a smaller size than 1920x1080 has no effect of the UI size, distance of map/building ingame,...
This has been noted and forwarded to the developers.

changing the resolution from 1920x1080, nothing happened except game is asking if I want to use the new resolution. clicking on ok, option is still showing 1920x1080.
Could you try and change the resolution while in windowed mode and see if it changes the resolution then?

@MotherLeopard, should there any DebugOutput in the logs when changing something in the options? So I could check the output today evening, while changing resolution and AA again.
I don't have detailed info of what gets logged, but an output_log never hurts! So if you can attach an output_log from when you change the resolution and AA in options, please do so! That will probably help :)

reinstalled game via steam to get an clean installation:

changing resolution in window mode will modify window to new set resolution.
setting a higher resolution than your set windows screen resolution will be ignored by game.

a little bit confusing is this information in output_log:

<RI> Input initialized.
desktop: 1920x1080 60Hz; virtual: 1920x1080 at 0,0
[...]
Setting initial resolution to 2715 1527 True [Core]

if this is the screen resolution, why is it getting the correct desktop input and than changing it to the not used max resolution as initial ? :D

the only output if you are changing something is:
(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebug.gen.cpp Line: 56)

Saving C:\Users\Patrick\AppData\Local\Colossal Order\Cities_Skylines\gameSettings.cgs [Settings - Internal]

what is the compression of gameSettings.cgs ? looks like it isn't uncompressed

Screenshots of changing resolution in window mode, the scale of the UI also changed smaller. should the UI not be a fixed size to all background resolution changes?

Idee for my Resolution 1920x1080:

used the UI bar from 1280x720, resized the info popup with a new with, and relocated the buttons and info boxes.
Don't know how other players are thinking, but I love the "smaller" UI on the FullHD resolution. Maybe there could be an option to change it ;)

Interesting, I've only been playing it at 1920x1080 and I remember thinking that the textures are of not great quality, you can see it in the menus. This would make complete sense. I've noticed that anti aliasing seems to do nothing as well, no matter what I set in my nVidia drivers or in the game, it's always the same level of jaggy.

I have a GF670 and am currently running on Windows 10 preview (I know I know!) but I noted the exact same things on Ubuntu. The lack of anti aliasing was actually why I switched back to Windows, I thought it was a Linux thing.

Reactions:
It's enough with the output_log from a game session where you have changes resolution and AA settings :)
You can find it at: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Colossal Order Game\Cities_Data

I'd like to get a DxDiag also, that never hurts!

Hello, I have the same problem I have set in 1360x768 but when I want to change it to 1920x1080 and squeezed the button to apply and then if still remains in 1360x768 , sorry my english im from argentina.

Hello, I have the same problem I have set in 1360x768 but when I want to change it to 1920x1080 and squeezed the button to apply and then if still remains in 1360x768 , sorry my english im from argentina.

The game doesn't allow this in its current stage. There is two workarounds:

1) Change your desktop resolution to the one you desire ingame. So in your case, change desktop to 1920x1080. Then you can apply that in the game. Or you could...

2) Set -force-d3d9 as launch parameter under game properties in steam. Haven't tried this myself, but apparently with that you'll be able to change to a higher resolution than your desktop resolution, as it should be. Might lose some eyecandy, though.

The problem is that directx11 mode doesn't have a proper fullscreen. DX9 does. Why the devs did not implement a proper fullscreen out of the box is beyond me, especially for a 2015 game.

Last edited:
hello
Sorry for my english

I have a problem. I have a monitor with a resolution of 2560x1440, video is gtx980.

The game at my screen resolution is very large scale interface. Everything is blurred, not clear. The font is very large, does not fit into the framework of the description.

Is there support in the game my screen resolution? What do I need to interface is crisp and sharp?

The game doesn't allow this in it's current stage. There is two workarounds:

1) Change your desktop resolution to the one you desire ingame. So in your case, change desktop to 1920x1080. Then you can apply that in the game. Or you could...

2) Set -force-d3d9 as launch parameter under game properties in steam. Haven't tried this myself, but apparently with that you'll be able to change to a higher resolution than your desktop resolution, as it should be. Might lose some eyecandy, though.

The problem is that directx11 mode doesn't have a proper fullscreen. DX9 does. Why the devs did not implement a proper fullscreen out of the box is beyond me, especially for a 2015 game.

maybe a little bit help for the developers ? :D

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ee417025(v=vs.85).aspx

MSDN said:
The last issue that developers often face is how to change full-screen resolutions while remaining in full-screen mode.
Calling ResizeTarget and SetFullscreenState sometimes succeeds, but the full-screen resolution remains the desktop resolution.
Also, developers may create a full-screen swap chain and give a specific resolution, only to find that DXGI defaults to the
desktop resolution regardless of the numbers passed in. Unless otherwise instructed, DXGI defaults to the desktop resolution
for full-screen swap chains. When creating a full-screen swap chain, the Flags member of the DXGI_SWAP_CHAIN_DESC
structure must be set to DXGI_SWAP_CHAIN_FLAG_ALLOW_MODE_SWITCH to override DXGI's default behavior. This flag also
can be passed to ResizeTarget to enable or disable this functionality dynamically.

I have the exact same problem. Just bought a new HTPC for the express purpose of playing Cities.

My specs:
Steam Big Picture
FullHD monitor and old 720p TV
GeForce GTX 750Ti
Windows 8.1

What is funny is that the resolution options are disabled in-game!

Is this due to Steam fixing the resolution pre-launch? At least that is indicated by Steam Display settings, which apparently set the resolution for the game. Those were set to take fullhd resolution and rerender it to my 720p television. Now that I am trying to run Cities on my monitor, the picture looks awful as if it was downsampled to 720p, even if Steam settings specify FullHD.

Well, this makes Cities unplayable for me. Apparently shouldn't have attached the TV at all, as there apparently are some Steam settings fixing the resolution to be much too low.

Also, I must say that over the years I have been very satisfied with Paradox products, and downright love Colossal Order. However, such a problem in Steam integration is rather disappointing.

OMG!

Welcome to the 21st century, where changing resolution does not actually change the field of view!
Seriously, have you ever played a 3D game before?
What you describe happens exclusively on 2D games.

I just upgraded from a 1920x1200 to a 2560x1440 monitor. I am unable to switch the resolution in the game. Has this bug been fixed yet? If not I cannot continue playing this game until it's fixed. I have 146 hours of game time for cities. This is disappointing.

Sorry to necro this thread, but has a fix been found?

I just upgraded to a 4k monitor, and the game won't let me change the resolution past 1280x720, no matter if I do it in geforce experience, or in game.

Status
Not open for further replies.