BATTELTECH - Game crashed as the woman was giving the intro

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Richard CHilton

Private
15 Badges
Apr 25, 2018
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Stellaris
  • BATTLETECH
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Age of Wonders
  • Age of Wonders II
  • BATTLETECH - Beta Backer
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
One line summary of your issue
Game crashed as the woman was giving the intro

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
Game crashed as the woman was explaining how she wasn't a hero, A popup told me that a dump file had been created and asked me to send it in. Hoping against hope, I ran the game again - and it crashed in the same spot. So here I am - uploading the dump file (and everything else in that directory)

Steps to reproduce the issue
Start the campaign - at least that's all I did.

Upload attachment

Attachments

• crash.dmp
    432,5 KB · Views: 14
  • error.log
    22 KB · Views: 26
  • output_log.txt
    58,3 KB · Views: 220
Upvote 0
I changed a setting in FFDshow and that fixed it for me. If you go to your start menu and run "cmd" to get a command prompt then launch: "rundll32.exe ffdshow.ax,configure" you should get a window that has the title "ffdshow video decoder configuration" it should look something like this: http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/images/front2.png I selected the entry on the left labedl "DirectShow control" and changed the option on the right "Multiple ffdshow instances:" from "no limitations" to "none -disabled" this solved my issue. Hopefully it will help you too.

It worked! Much Thanks and Appreciation. Though the route I took was , I searched for ffdshow using the search bar in the Start menu and found ffdshow Video Configuration. Changed that setting in there first, but that one didn't work. So I searched again and found ffdshow x64 Video Configuration, then changed that setting in there to 'none - disabled' and now it works great.

Thanks Again!

It worked! Much Thanks and Appreciation. Though the route I took was , I searched for ffdshow using the search bar in the Start menu and found ffdshow Video Configuration. Changed that setting in there first, but that one didn't work. So I searched again and found ffdshow x64 Video Configuration, then changed that setting in there to 'none - disabled' and now it works great.

Thanks Again!

Glad it helped! I wonder if you're on windows 8 or 10. That search doesn't produce any results in my version of windows 7, thus the need for arcane command line instructions.

Hey guys!!!

So in cmd when I write rundll32.exe ffdshow.ax,configure

I get an error saying

'There was a problem starting ffdshow.ax
the specified module could not be found'

Can;t seem to find any advice on google!!! :(

On windows 7

Hey guys!!!

So in cmd when I write rundll32.exe ffdshow.ax,configure

I get an error saying

'There was a problem starting ffdshow.ax
the specified module could not be found'

Can;t seem to find any advice on google!!! :(

On windows 7

Try running the command prompt as administrator, see if that finds it? The other way I accessed this screen, was by task switching out during the opening movie, and there was an icon in my system tray for FFDshow. clicking on it opened the options. perhaps that's how you can get to it?

Last edited:
Try running the command prompt as administrator, see if that finds it? The other way I accessed this screen, was by task switching out during the opening movie, and there was an icon in my system tray for FFDshow. clicking on it opened the options. perhaps that's how you can get to it?

Even as administrator it happened again :(

And unfortunately there was nothing that appeared on my taskbar during the video :(

I'm running a gtx 570

Glad it helped! I wonder if you're on windows 8 or 10. That search doesn't produce any results in my version of windows 7, thus the need for arcane command line instructions.

I'm glad it worked too! I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate edition 64bit, when I search for ffdshow I get atleast 6 or 7 results if I recall correctly.

Haha, yeah I know what you mean. Hey whatever works though!

Still getting the crash after downloading ffdshow that looks the same in the images and changing the settings :( :(

Attachments

• output_log.txt
    2,6 MB · Views: 43
  • crash.dmp
    344,2 KB · Views: 10
  • error.log
    30,5 KB · Views: 11
  • output_log.txt
    108,2 KB · Views: 69
Still getting the crash after downloading ffdshow that looks the same in the images and changing the settings :( :(

Sorry Littlebob that crash looks different than the one we are discussing here. I don't have any specific information to help you. However, it looks like a graphics bug. Have you updated your graphics card driver? You also look like you are dangerously low on memory (94% used + large paging file). Perhaps turn the graphics down a bit, or run at a lower resolution?

Ok! Should I create a new thread???

I am running a gtx 570 with 1.2g ram, but I think the minimum specs are 560, should it 'should' work. Also running an i7-2600 with 8g 1333 dr3 ram. I just keep getting these random crashes that it seems like other people are having :( Also gettting them now in frostpunk and far cry 5 :( (Although farcry was saying something about nvidia kernel display problem, but these aren't coming up with any errors), so I'm just literally trying every bit of advice I'm seeing people post for similar problems!! :(

I've tried turning the graphics on low, windowed resulotion and on 1600x1020, but still crashing, 'mostly' at the conversation bits.

I had to download and install ffdshow from SourceForge.net https://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow-tryout/.

Once installed I was able to run DXVA Video decoder configuration and on the DirectShow control tab disable multiple instances (set Multiple ffdshow instances: to none - disabled. Firing up BattleTech again let me watch cutscenes safely for the first time.

I changed a setting in FFDshow and that fixed it for me. If you go to your start menu and run "cmd" to get a command prompt then launch: "rundll32.exe ffdshow.ax,configure" you should get a window that has the title "ffdshow video decoder configuration" it should look something like this: http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/images/front2.png I selected the entry on the left labedl "DirectShow control" and changed the option on the right "Multiple ffdshow instances:" from "no limitations" to "none -disabled" this solved my issue. Hopefully it will help you too.

Just in case, I did fiddle with making a few extra media types use ffdshow during installation, I hope it doesn't matter. : \

edit: I'm using windows 10, and windows didn't find any of ffdshow until after I directly installed it.

Morris

Hi

I'm still having issues with Battletech after the 1st mission I cannot proceed to the 2nd mission it crashes on me and I follow the steps mentioned above.

see screenshot and attached logs:

Attachments

• Error.png
    Error.png
    40,1 KB · Views: 14
  • crash.dmp
    0 bytes · Views: 6
  • error.log
    21,3 KB · Views: 9
  • output_log.txt
    85,6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited: