• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

mcganyol

Captain
27 Badges
Sep 3, 2010
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II
aod 1.10 stopped working all of a sudden. on loadup screen the application crashes with the following information

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: AODGame.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.1
Application Timestamp: 56e465c8
Fault Module Name: AODGame.exe
Fault Module Version: 1.0.0.1
Fault Module Timestamp: 56e465c8
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0003f9b5
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1038
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

----------

win7-64 bit.

Tried to debug with visual studio 2015 but apart from mysterious unhandled exception i wasnt able to figure what is wrong.

My best bet is the new crimson driver (radeon) the 16.7.3 which was the only change i did to my system recently.

However installing an older crimson driver is a major pain and didn't resolve the problem.

thanks if you have any idea

going back to Radeon-Crimson-15.12 solved the problem.
it may have a general issue tough with newer radeon drivers.
on the amd driver download page http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows 7 - 64 you can select "release notes" tab where you can read the following:

Known Issues

• A few game titles may fail to launch or crash if the AMD Gaming Evolved overlay is enabled. A temporary workaround is to disable the AMD Gaming Evolved "In Game Overlay".
However, disabling the overlay did NOT solve the problem for me. So not sure if it is related to the problem.

going back to Radeon-Crimson-15.12 solved the problem.
it may have a general issue tough with newer radeon drivers.
on the amd driver download page http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows 7 - 64 you can select "release notes" tab where you can read the following:

Known Issues

• A few game titles may fail to launch or crash if the AMD Gaming Evolved overlay is enabled. A temporary workaround is to disable the AMD Gaming Evolved "In Game Overlay".
However, disabling the overlay did NOT solve the problem for me. So not sure if it is related to the problem.

Well...i am glad you found out what the problem was!

I am always upset when i face such problems without knowing why and without finding a solution...

While I assume the problem would go away once we make the switch to SDL2 (which will still take a while), if you know your way around VS2015, you may find this build to be far more useful for debugging purposes. It is no good for regular play though.

I fully expect the issue to lie within a DirectDraw library call though, and there is nothing to be done about that. Investigate only if it's fun to you.

Attachments

• A10Debug.7z
    10,1 MB · Views: 41
same here, after graphics update Aod crash on startup. dont know where to disable that in game overlay though. raptr doesnt even start on system startup

Last edited:
I can confirm that even with the hotfix from amd (16.8.2) the problem still exists. No more AOD for me i am afraid...

Hi there,

I seem to have the same problem. I wanted to return to playing Darkest hour and Arsenal of Democracy just recently...last time I played was maybe a year ago and it was working fine.
But now I cannot launch neither AoD nor DH games. Everytime I try to launch the game it just crashed to desktop during the loading screen.

I tried forcing 16bit color via the steam launch option -16bpp.
Also tried forcing "windowed" mode via -sw

But no way.

I also cant go back to a driver like 15.12 every time I want to play AoD or DH. For my AMD Card which is a Radeon R9 380.

Are there any news on how to deal with this problem ?

Hi there,

I seem to have the same problem. I wanted to return to playing Darkest hour and Arsenal of Democracy just recently...last time I played was maybe a year ago and it was working fine.
But now I cannot launch neither AoD nor DH games. Everytime I try to launch the game it just crashed to desktop during the loading screen.

I tried forcing 16bit color via the steam launch option -16bpp.
Also tried forcing "windowed" mode via -sw

But no way.

I also cant go back to a driver like 15.12 every time I want to play AoD or DH. For my AMD Card which is a Radeon R9 380.

Are there any news on how to deal with this problem ?

you might take a look this thread: aod-1.10 and visual c++ 2015 , maybe it can be of some help.

I am also unable to use AoD after upgrading with both AMD chip-set and a Radeon GPU. New C++ did not help. Trying to set game size in the BL-Logic gives me a Milestone error (I have a legal copy from Steam). The load screen is the upper left quarter of the ship and plane photo, with no buttons showing or available. I have deleted and reinstalled twice. I guess I will get a lot of painting done. I do want to thank the whole community for a wonderful game and a lot of joy over the years. Be well.

I am also unable to use AoD after upgrading with both AMD chip-set and a Radeon GPU. New C++ did not help. Trying to set game size in the BL-Logic gives me a Milestone error (I have a legal copy from Steam). The load screen is the upper left quarter of the ship and plane photo, with no buttons showing or available. I have deleted and reinstalled twice. I guess I will get a lot of painting done. I do want to thank the whole community for a wonderful game and a lot of joy over the years. Be well.

Maybe not to helpfull, but perhapes you should try Zsar1 1.11 Alpha executables files. That file helped me when I started with a new grapic card and OS.

@Walter Hames :
I know of no executable "BL-Logic". That is a company name, not a tool, nor a file. Please elaborate.

... Getting a milestone error from AODGame.exe means that the game cannot find a file it considers so vital that it cannot fathom it missing. If the folder structure is correct, then it seems you have a permissions issue. Does Run as Administrator help with that? Is your Steam directory in an UAC-monitored folder?

You can put your resolution into the fifth (width) and sixth (height) lines of settings.cfg . They are usually annotated with comments saying so.

Something like this:

0 #LANGUAGE (0=english, 1 = french etc..)
1 #MUSIC (1 for on)
0 #WINDOWED MODE (1 for on)
europa.valkyrienet.com
1920 #Width
1080 #Height
1 # Disable intro

Reactions:
AMD did something with their latest drivers... HOI is working now!!!! (so that is good news) - driver 16.12.1 - When i launch HOI now it first gives the impression it is not working, but because this time their was no error message i waited and after about 50 seconds of freeze the game launches!!!!

I have had limited success running the game. I deleted the Sprites in both folders, save the first of each, which I have been doing from HOI II days, and changed the settings to your recommendations. The game now loads. I still have issues with the game screens not on center, being down and right in the corner of my monitor. I have no access to the lower left and right control areas in map mode and have to guess at the three buttons on the scenario screen. My mouse also has a bad flicker, but what do you want, a rubber biscuit? Thanks for helping the handicapped. What a great group!
Update on the walk of shame. We had Win 10 screen locked to 125%. changed it to 100% and it works like a dream, if I squint. I guess I won't get that painting done.

Last edited: