• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

benjaseth

Major
38 Badges
Jun 7, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
I was inspired today by Yukka's amazing fan art. While I was doing chores at home, I multi-tasked and made a little contribution myself. For a long while I have been annoyed when playing Stellaris because of the constant repetition of alien species / empire names.

The names in the game are cool and sound sufficiently science-fiction'y. The problem is there aren't sufficiently enough of them. So long story made short: I made a list of 100 new species names.

I tried to make them as diverse as possible, while still not being too weird (except for the Scrtzsshqk).

Adalec
Chidani
Mianara
Kederian
Savolan
Vodara
Jinguu
Saboladan
Raegian
Echuni

Voleesh
Maguan
Rastian
Bafamano
Zikiri
Swheresz
Xacaktii
Scrtzsshqk
Opi-Opi
Tobashi

Hirulan
Khedelian
Bentese
Jiori
Yughran
Zyborak
Cymeen
Tyukii
Obaran
Shabastri

Kedrek
Vagonari
Resabian
Uxana
Hebrelek
Dasamar
Wicado
Rheggian
Khrissamos
Zadriki

Arnak
Burenai
Ardvaia
Zhodos
Khek-Raam
Zsri
Chridon
Varalak
Heradan
Caiamo

Thyrak
Henaia
Rasuul
Aghrin
Bentosed
Deralam
Tal-Shalai
Taralok
Koreem
Eravad

Davareen
Ardonian
Erodian
Zubol
Mighran
Khasenmal
Ardetan
Midari
Babhalon
Jirakim

Aqawa
Ishim
Hamarati
Maghvedi
Avacai
Vaidan
Darshan
Adashi
Eshenti
Zahedian

Maraxi
Ganodur
Warassan
Zubian
Adorim
Tymalian
Qirathi
Ebusan
Wirvhix
Jian

Mejiki
Atalan
Gorak
Higian
Juyitri
Vachrem
Khabatrian
Torus
Mandalian

And last but not least,
number 100:

Yukkan

Anyone is free to use them, either the devs for the core game, or any modders looking for cool names.

Cheers!

How can we add this nice list to the game? In "Stellaris\common\species_names" you'll find two files, "species_00" and "species_01". Can I just create a new file, "species_03" with these names and format it in the same way, with plurals and adjectives?

Last edited:
How can we add nice list this to the game? In "Stellaris\common\species_names" you'll find two files, "species_00" and "species_01". Can I just create a new file, "species_03" with these names and format it in the same way, with plurals and adjectives?

Yep, this will work like this :)

Can someone who knows what they are doing, regarding programming, make such a file? A "species_03" file with the new names. I would like to be able for me and others who want to, to use these new names. Thanks in advance!

Thank you! I'll look these over on Monday and see which ones we might want to use.

Can someone who knows what they are doing, regarding programming, make such a file? A "species_03" file with the new names. I would like to be able for me and others who want to, to use these new names. Thanks in advance!

I looked at the file and we'd also need to choose the homeworld and system names. And the namelist.

But if Wiz is taking a look at this, then the devs will take care of it in case they use any of these names. :)

I like "Zikiri" it sounds serious and funny at the same time. "Hirulan" remember me Link from Zelda and I love Link :) "Vagonari" makes me think to the Vokonis in the amateur but amazingly beautiful rpg game Aëdemphia (See it here). "Vaidan" I like this one, it looks like the celtic name Aidan, on Wikipedia this is the personal name Aodh means "fiery" and/or "bringer of fire" and was the name of a Celtic sun god! "Jian" I'm not sure but in chinese jianchi means "stand up". Oh... "Yukkan" :D

For info, you can found a good little Name generator here: http://www.rpg-maker.fr/programmes/Name.exe

I like "Zikiri" it sounds serious and funny at the same time. "Hirulan" remember me Link from Zelda and I love Link :) "Vagonari" makes me think to the Vokonis in the amateur but amazingly beautiful rpg game Aëdemphia (See it here). "Vaidan" I like this one, it looks like the celtic name Aidan, on Wikipedia this is the personal name Aodh means "fiery" and/or "bringer of fire" and was the name of a Celtic sun god! "Jian" I'm not sure but in chinese jianchi means "stand up". Oh... "Yukkan" :D

For info, you can found a good little Name generator here: http://www.rpg-maker.fr/programmes/Name.exe

I like the Yukkan <3 ;)

so, I hadn't much time/motivation during the last days, but today I've made a first concept to create a mod with these names.

Because all Speciesnames needs a namelist, I will assign them all to a specific namelist first.
I want to use as far as possible all vanilla ones, but maybe I have to create some additional namelists (if not even one vanilla list is suitable imho).

So, this way such a mod needs more work as I thought. Because I really don't like to do futile work (sry, I'm kind of slothful :D), I wanted to ask if someone has already plans/has already began with such a mod.

If yes, I will refrain from create an 2nd mod with the same namelists.
If no, I will start with it soon :)

So anyone already working on it?

Thank you! I'll look these over on Monday and see which ones we might want to use.

Could you make it so that name lists and these other purely cosmetic changes do not alter the checksum? I have to play without name lists in order to be eligible for steam achievements. Just enabling one seem to disqualify you. Apologies if this is already being considered.

so, the mod is now at ca. 33%.

1. I have assign a species typ to all names,
2. in a next step I will add a namelist. (-> 45% until upload)
3. After that, I can create the file (->95% until upload) and
4. upload it (100%)

I will do (2.) tomorrow, after that I'm short in time. Maybe I can finish (3.) on the begining of the next week, but I think it will go till end of the month.

ETA for the full mod containing all new names is the 2. of July.

Finished the mod today:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=959855256
https://vmods.blog/2017/06/30/stellaris-benjaseths-species-names/

I had to create planet & Systems names for all new species names, I tried my best, but some og them may be not THAT creative xD

Feedback about the mod in general you can post in this thread or on steam or as a comment on my Website.
Feedback about the species names in special, please post here or on Benjaseths Profile page.

Hope you like it!