• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

stjobe

Field Marshal
15 Badges
Jan 3, 2018
  • BATTLETECH
  • BATTLETECH - Initiate of the Order
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH - Beta Backer
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Magicka
  • Stellaris
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
So, I took it as a challenge when @Havamal mentioned that starting with four Locusts would be "a nice change of pace"... Said and done, I modified SimGameConstants.json to give me only Locusts as my starting lance:

SimGameConstantsSwarmOfLocusts.jpg

In my recent playthroughs I've had "Parts for 'Mech assembly" set to five, since that slows down the rate of 'Mech acquisition to something I find more to my liking, but for this challenge I set it back to three - it's going to be hard enough with just five Locusts!

20181024181732_1.jpg

20181024182247_1.jpg

Commander "Dynamite" reporting for duty!

So, here's the gang at the start of Majesty Metals. Dynamite in a 1V Locust, Glitch and Behemoth both in 1S Locusts, and Dekker brings up the rear in a 1M Locust:

20181024182449_1.jpg

As usual, I take the lower route to the turret generator; they have enough health that it takes both Dynamite and Glitch to fire at them before they are destroyed, but we manage without the turrets getting off a single shot.

The Commando is up next; for some reason it decides to punch Dynamite's Locust instead of firing its ML and 10 SRMs at it - be thankful for small blessings I guess :) It takes two rounds, but with everyone firing at it and it having next to no armour it goes down in round five.

20181024183357_1.jpg

Two rounds later it's the Spider that goes up in flames - it too decided the best course of action was to punch Dynamite's Locust. Not ones to let an advantage pass us by, we punish it by two rounds of Precise Shot to the CT.

20181024183903_1.jpg

Seeing as we're four Locusts, I decide to head back to the platforms to let the allied (for now!) turrets help out with the Shadow Hawk and the tanks.

20181024184334_1.jpg

The gang heading back to the platform to enlist the turrets in the fight.

20181024184727_1.jpg

Setting up an ambush

The plan works flawlessly as the turrets take out the tanks and help bring down the Shadow Hawk. One inevitable betrayal later, and three more tanks stomped on, we're back on the Hysteria.

20181024190427_1.jpg

A Locust stomping on a Scorpion

Everyone survived (even Dekker!), and only two Locusts damaged enough to need repairs (1 day each).

20181024190538_1.jpg

All in all, that went way better than I thought it would!

Now, to think of a good company name... Dynamite's Marauders doesn't really fit, does it? Any suggestions?

Noice! Good job!

As for a Merc Company name..."Plague Inc." or... "Swarma" or... "Locura Lancers" :)

Sometimes this game can be outright cruel. This is what the opfor generator thought would be a nice idea for a lance of Locusts to go up against on their second mission:

20181024201904_1.jpg

The next few rounds were predictably painful:

20181024202117_1.jpg

(Behemoth goes down, right leg shot off by a large laser)

20181024202213_1.jpg

(just adding insult - and injury! - to injury)

20181024202407_1.jpg

(Glitch also gets legged by another large laser shot)

20181024202629_1.jpg

(Dekker legged, by a melee attack this time)

In the end though, not even the mighty Centurion can stand against the massed onslaught of... a bunch of crippled, half-dead Locusts:

20181024202944_1.jpg

(I might have let out a little victory yell at this point...)

The Spider that accompanied the Centurion was summarily dispatched, and this was my take-away:

20181024203333_1.jpg

107 000 CB won't even begin to cover repair costs - a simple LRM-5 is 88 000, and I need two of 'em!

20181024203338_1.jpg

(The damage done)

It will be a month or so before Plague Inc. drops again...

20181024203640_1.jpg

But hey! Nobody died! That's something, right? Right? :)

It could have been a lot worse considering.

Did you still make a profit, or did you break even?...or worse, lose money?

"Top tier work Commander ...<snicker...snort...>.
House Marik is very happy with your performance.....<hee hee hee! guffaw!>
Keep it up, and I'll make sure a lot more comes your way....<Hahahaha...oh forget it...I can't, I just can't Har har har!!!...it's too much!>"

It could have been a lot worse considering.

Did you still make a profit, or did you break even?...or worse, lose money?
Oh, I lost a ton of money. 2xLRM-5 @ 88,000 + 90,000 in repair costs = 266,000 CB for the LCT-1M alone. Minus the 107,000 I made from the mission, I lost 159,000 on that single 'Mech.

On the bright side, the next mission was a milk run (two Locusts, a Scorpion, and a Striker) and I went full hog on CB on that one so walked away with a cool 440,000 CB from that one. Bankruptcy temporarily averted :)

A funny thing though: Drop rating is supposed to be 40 tons per half-star, right? 400 tons, 5 stars, = 400/10 = 40. If you drop with four Locusts, that should be one star (4 x 20 = 80), but it's zero stars and Darius keeps complaining we're underweight for the one-skull mission...

A funny thing though: Drop rating is supposed to be 40 tons per half-star, right? 400 tons, 5 stars, = 400/10 = 40. If you drop with four Locusts, that should be one star (4 x 20 = 80), but it's zero stars and Darius keeps complaining we're underweight for the one-skull mission...
There must be a crazy stupi... I mean Edmon check... whereby there is a floor of du.... er Edmon. :)

Oh, I lost a ton of money. 2xLRM-5 @ 88,000 + 90,000 in repair costs = 266,000 CB for the LCT-1M alone. Minus the 107,000 I made from the mission, I lost 159,000 on that single 'Mech.

On the bright side, the next mission was a milk run (two Locusts, a Scorpion, and a Striker) and I went full hog on CB on that one so walked away with a cool 440,000 CB from that one. Bankruptcy temporarily averted :)

Ooof! That sounds painful. I thought it might have been financially bad, but they were Locusts so I was hoping they would be cheap :p.

I'm glad you financially recovered quickly.

As for Darius, tell him what I told him on my last playthrough..."It's fine, don't sweat it. We're profesionals." :)

I like the uniqueness of starting with 4 Locusts but what is the upgrade plan? 4x20 tons isn’t really sustainable. 1 Shadowhawk was almost too much. What happens when there are routinely at least 2 mediums or 4x 35 ton lights? Do you only upgrade when the locusts get destroyed?

I think I've staved off bankruptcy for the moment, the previously mentioned milk run was followed up by another milk run, although this one was one-and-a-half skulls: JR7-D, COM-1B, LCT-1M, LCT-1S. Took out the Jenner first, then the Commando, then the two Locusts. I don't remember the AI being quite so keen on melee as it has been this time around; in this mission the Commando decided to punch Dekker instead of firing its large laser...

Anyway, here's what the result of a "milk run" is if you're running a Plague of Locusts:

20181024222940_1.jpg

Yep, that's three 'Mechs needing repair and one MechWarrior out for close to a month.

Last edited:
I like the uniqueness of starting with 4 Locusts but what is the upgrade plan? 4x20 tons isn’t really sustainable. 1 Shadowhawk was almost too much. What happens when there are routinely at least 2 mediums or 4x 35 ton lights? Do you only upgrade when the locusts get destroyed?
The upgrade plan is "As soon as you can replace a Locust, do it!". I might be crazy, but I'm not insane :)

The first four star systems you're locked into each have a half-skull rating; the hardest mission I've seen has been the previous post's skull-and-a-half - and that was just 100 tons on the opfor (JR7-D, COM-1B, LCT-1M, LCT-1S). The toughest mission so far was the first one after Majesty Metals, the one with an 80-ton opfor consisting of a CN9-AL and a SDR-5V...

I'm not planning on moving out of the initial 4-system area until I've got something else than Locusts to drop with :)

Given that I had a lot of fun (and frustration) getting the Plague of Locusts achievement by going 4 Locusts vs 4 Hunchbacks, all I can say is... Good show, sir! :salute:

Hmm. An interesting suggestion for HBS: Have a difficulty setting to allow an SP start with any stock $15mil skirmish lance ... or a Plague of Locusts.

Again... with emphasis... until you take the first Narrative mission (Priority)... every single contract will be 1 of 16 "Tutorial" missions. They are each and every one even easier than the "easy" contracts.

Missing in the mission details is every enemy mech was a "recruit" and was "makeshift/shoddy/etc"