• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

liamgamer55

Colonel
14 Badges
Oct 16, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • March of the Eagles
  • Rome Gold
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
[MOD] Crusader Kings Revamp - Last Update 29/7/12

Features
-Lots of De Jure changes
-Many more clothes etc (Better looking characters mod)
-The Kingdom of Anatolia no longer requires you to be greek to create it
-You no longer need to be christian to create the Kingdom of Italy
-The Duchies of Alania, Cornwall and Cherson are not part of any Kingdoms
-The "Byzantine" Empire has been renamed The Roman Empire
-The Duchy of Bjarma is now part of the Kingdom of Perm
-The Kingdom of Rus includes all lands owned by Russian princes (including Ruthenia and the duchy of smolensk)
-You now need to be Catholic to create the Kingdom of Lithuania
-The kingdom of Pommerania no longer extends de jure into German lands
-The Kingdom of Frisia has been split between the Kingdom of France (Duchy of Flanders) and The Kingdom of Germany (the rest of it)
-The Holy Roman Empire now includes lands that were formerly part of the de jure territory of Pommerania (but that are owned by the HRE at the start)
-The Kingdom of Cumania now includes the duchies of Azov and Crimea
-The duchy of Burgundy is now part of the Kingdom of Burgundy (it is however not the last capital of it so it can all assimilate to The Kingdom of France given time)
-The Duchies of Valencia and Mallorca are now part of the Kingdom of Andalusia
-Brittany and Wales are no longer formable
-All Empires except for the HRE and ERE have been removed
-Byzantines are now primogeniture
-You no longer need to be any specific culture to create the Kingdom of Finland
-To create the Kingdom of Finland you must control either the Kingdom of Sweden or the Kingdom of Norway or be pagan
-You must now be moderately prestigeous to create a kingdom (the costs are left unchanged however)
-You must now be Serbian to create the Kingdom of Serbia
-Pagans playable
-Croatia & Wallachia no longer a part of the ERE de jure
-Cornish culture
-Marrying now grants twice as much prestige as usual
-Marrying above or below your rank now grants or takes away 3x more prestige (hopefully in general this'll mean it'll cost a lot of prestige)
-Holding Kingdoms now gives you twice as much prestige as usual over time (as an incentive not to destroy them)
-Holding Empires now gives you 50% more prestige over time (so that they're worth more than kingdoms)
-Turkish Succession renamed muslim succession
-The Kingdom of Pommerania and it's lands are no longer by default part of the HRE.
-Becoming a paragon of virtue no longer increases your religion's moral authority
-Colour changes for a few things
-Jewish religion implemented at a very basic level (One count, 3 barons/mayors and two provinces are now Jewish). Jewish characters are playable.
-Some character history changes
-Renamed Monophysite to Coptic
-All Ethiopian states are now Coptic
-Shia Jihads disabled to nerf Egypt, and also because Egypt being in Spain is a bit ridiculous wheras Sunni's owning there is far more reasonable
-Sunni Jihads may now happen from 1080 onwards
-Non muslim heretics can no longer declare holy wars
-Only muslims and catholics can declare holy war on heresies
-Coptic is no longer a heresy of the Orthadox religion, the coptics are their own religion within the christian group
-Greatly expanded set of (quite high quality heraldy) thanks to Arko

Screenshot of new kingdom layout (Empires are unchanged apart from there only being the HRE and ERE)
ck27.jpg

Do note the white stuff on that guy's face does not appear ingame

Coming soon
-Union crowns, form the Kingdom of Scandinavia, Spain, Britannia or Slavia
-You will be able to create the Kingdom of Wales if you are Welsh and own at least half of the counties that the Kingdom of England does. If this is not possible to detect then it'll be half the starting counties of the Kingdom of England.
-You will be able to create the Kingdom of Brittany if you own at least 20 counties
-The Kingdom of Jerusalem will be titular, with the land being given to Syria or perhaps Egypt (suggestions?). When the KOJ is created the de jure land will spread to the extent of the KOJ in vanilla.
-Land conquered from Muslims by Spanish Kingdoms/duchies will become de jure *insert Spanish kingdom/duchy name* quickly
-A dynamic de jure assimilation system, similar to the core system in magni mundi
-If possible get the german parts of holstein to be de jure german and the danish parts de jure danish through events
-If the patriarch becomes a heretic he either gets kicked out of office or becomes orthadox
-If possible make it so that kingdoms are destroyed if you hold it and don't have the requirements (e.g. are german and you are king of greece) or perhaps only if you're emperor level
-Rework cultural assimilation
-Add some events, like ravishings etc
-Excommunicating someone will now cost the catholic church 2% religious authority
-Additional tax/revolt risk penalties for high tyranny, knights dislike improper actions anywhere, there's no reason why lower level knights wouldn't dislike things in the same way a baron would.
-If your tyranny gets high enough it'll eventually mean game over.
-Add a plot to convert a vassal to your religion
-Different symbols for different pagan religions. Finding a symbol for norse should be easy (runes). The finnish religion I think some people might have some pictures for and romuva can stay how it is. If anyone has any suggeions or could post any images for tengri or fetishism that'd be great.
-The African pagans will now be called fetishists
-Since Egypt is seriously overpowered, Shia Jihads will be temporarily disabled.
-If I can think of a way to buff crusades I'll do it, this can be an additional way to nerf egypt a bit.
-Add either a decay over time for moral authority when moral authority is high, or have events that fire when a pope is in charge that has unpious traits that decrease moral authority.
-A rework of heresy... the holy war fest is pretty unrealistic and silly. In the short term I may simply make it so that only catholics can declare holy wars on catholic heresies and not the other way around.
-A rework of antipopes... the heresyfest is pretty unrealistic, silly and not fun
-Special conditions that simulate the spread of catharism and under what conditions it can spread. E.g. cynical dukes may allow it as may cynical kings, wheras zealous kings of france for instance would be dead against it.
-Make converting provinces via chaplains much slower, and change increase religious relations to head local inquisition. This will be much more powerful but also more likely to have side effects like forcibly causing someone to be branded a heretic or local jews getting killed etc
-To become primogeniture when in the HRE you will need high relations (50+) with the Holy roman emperor and high prestige. Apparently IRL you needed to ask for special permission for primogeniture from the emperor for if you were a duke in the empire, and that only really began to happen in the 1700s
-New symbol for each heresy
-Add events about astrologers
-Perhaps implement a stability or legitimay mechanic
-Converting to a heresy will now be mildly attractive to non independent dukes
-Make the Sardinian rulers greek
-Absolute cognatic can be imposed by a female ruler if she's ambitious
-Only kings and above will be allowed to declare holy wars vs states they do not border (possibly with an exclusion for catholic vs heretic holy wars)
-Add herpes
-Add special events for if you capture the pope for the following religions: catholic, other christian, muslim, other religion
-Implement zoroastrianism expanded (if permission granted)
-Implement stuff from north african expansion mod
-Remove pop culture references e.g. "fear is the mind killer" "it's only a flesh wound". They're amusing and nice at first, but I'm sure anyone playing a mod has seen them plenty of times by now and it is somewhat immersion breaking to think of dune whenever I get a certain event.

Coming in the next version:
-Kingdom of England is now de jure English in culture (this only actually affects one quite rare event)

Install instructions:
Install 1.06b patch
Unrar it into your crusader kings 2 folder.
Play using mod launcher and check "Crusader Kings Revamp"
Ensure that you have the correct checksum, if not post here or try reinstalling

Link
http://www.mediafire.com/?2kla1mtu35osol3
Checksum: JKRD

CK2 Wiki Page: http://ckiiwiki.com/Crusader_Kings_Revamp

Crusader Kings Revamp is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License

Credits:
Implemented Better Looking Characters by Shaytana
Implemented Armories ARKO Pack by Arko

FAQ/Potential Issues:
Q. Almost all the heraldy is all green and purple, what's going on
A. This is actually a vanilla bug and it only affects the choosing characters map. In vanilla however it was that almost all the heraldy was white brown and red. This doesn't affect the actual gameplay map and once you've started a game (or reloaded one) everything is normal and there's a full assortment of colours

For the twcenter thread link on the paradox forum or the paradox forums thread link on the twcenter forums see the post below this one.

Last edited:
So this is going to be a general mod, but for now I've only changed a few things

I've removed all or almost all the anachronistic or not historically plausible kingdoms (feel free to post something if you think there should be changes for historical reasons to any kingdoms being formable or which duchies are in what kingdom)
Kingdom of Germany now includes Lotharingia & Bavaria <- That isn't historically plausable, and is more anachronistic than having seperated German Kingdoms. The HRE title *IS* the King of the Germans title, personally I'd completely dismantle the Kingdom of Germany and include various smaller Kingdoms (for example in my own mod, I have Austria, Bavaria, Saxony, Lotharingia, Frisia and the Netherlands in what is currently your Germany).
Kingdom of France includes the duchy of flanders <- I'm not sure why Flanders was added to the HRE in the first place you know, perhaps to fit Paradox's anachronistic Kingdom of Frisia?
The Kingdoms of Wales, Brittany, Pommerania and Lithuania are now no longer formable <- I understand Pommerania, but why Lithuania, Wales or Brittany?
While Brittany was a Duchy during the game's time period, why is it implausable that a prestigious or prideful Duke wouldn't name himself King once again?
Lithuania was a Kingdom for a very short time, followed by a Grand Duchy as part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. In CK2 terms, the Commonwealth is perhaps better represented as an Empire-tier title, while the two constituent parts as Kingdoms. If you're deadset against a Lithuanian Kingdom for some reason, why not do a localisation change to rename it to the Grand-Duchy of...- ?

As for Wales, it is anachronistic, but implausable again? Why *couldn't* a powerful King of Gwynedd or Deheubarth unite Wales? If you're going to remove Wales, you should remove Ireland based on your reasoning. It was never a truely unified Kingdom under a single King, and in fact Wales and Ireland were very similar in terms of "High Kings" and such, while no one as far as I know ever held any title like High King, several powerful Kings did basically unify the area under (in CK2 terms) autonomous vassals with feudal elective successorship, although this unification didn't last beyond them.
Cornwell is now no longer part of the Kingdom of Wales (not is it a part of the Kingdom of England), <- Do you mean "now it is part of the Kingdom of England". I agree with this, nationalist/seperatist sentiment aside, it was de facto/de jure part of the Kingdom of England at least from the 1050s.
The Kingdom of Andalusia's de jure territory has been greatly expanded to include most duchies in muslim or mostly muslim lands (The Kingdom of Aragon is still fairly big and the Kingdom of Portugal is left intact however) <- How does this play with the christian Kingdoms, sounds like they'd be even LESS inclined to reconquista hispania, leaving it mostly up to the french.

My thoughts on your changes so far.

So this is going to be a general mod, but for now I've only changed a few things

I've removed all or almost all the anachronistic or not historically plausible kingdoms (feel free to post something if you think there should be changes for historical reasons to any kingdoms being formable or which duchies are in what kingdom)
Kingdom of Germany now includes Lotharingia & Bavaria
Kingdom of France includes the duchy of flanders
The Kingdoms of Wales, Brittany, Pommerania and Lithuania are now no longer formable
Cornwell is now no longer part of the Kingdom of Wales (not is it a part of the Kingdom of England)
The Kingdom of Andalusia's de jure territory has been greatly expanded to include most duchies in muslim or mostly muslim lands (The Kingdom of Aragon is still fairly big and the Kingdom of Portugal is left intact however)

(...)
First note that I admire your hard work and I can follow most of your decisions, but nonetheless I'll give some suggestions.

Merging the kingdoms of Germany, Bavaria and even Lotharingia into one de jure German kingdom does make sense, however personally I'll keep Frisia annd Lotharingia as titular kingdoms (only with extra conditions).
IMHO the kingdom of France and Aquitania should merge and turn Aquitania into a titular kingdom just like Lotharingia, furthermore the duchy of Burgundy ought to be a part of France too.

Wales and Brittany are both IMHO a bit tricky, since these potential kingdoms are quite small, however the vanilla solution, so being independent and having at least two duchies and the ruler should belong to a culture group are reasonable solution. Maybe make these kingdoms only formable from the ducal tier?
Personally I'd keep Lithuania as a kingdom for the Baltic region, maybe rename it (kingdom of the Balts?); and instead add a titular kingdom of Lithuania for rulers of Lithuania (formable or not).

The vanilla for Pomerania or rather kingdom of the Wends isn't that bad either; keep it only formable for pagan Wends/Pomeranians. However I suggest adding events, which grants these lands de jure to Poland. Denmark or the HRE once they conquered them.
Giving Cornwall to England does make sense, since it de facto was a part of England; maybe for balancing reasons it could go to Wales in a 1066, but that should be changed by the second standard starting date.

I'm not to sure about the Iberian peninsula, for instance a city like Toledo had a symbolic value for christians. However adding events, which changes the de jure liege to an Iberian kingdom after any Catholic country conquers it, would be a good idea.
Furthermore and this also applies to any other kingdom now the de jure liege can also be changed at any date in the history file of any duchy.
So Pomerania could gradually be divided between Poland and the HRE and the Christian Iberian kingdoms should de jure expand at the expense of Andalucia etc.
Personally I'm not a too big of the 100 years de jure liege transfer, I'd prefer more conditions and a more variable period. OTOH conquest of de jure Pagan or heathen lands could IMHO lead to a much faster de jure transfer (after the expansion those should also be the first restored to Muslim rulers).
However I do like the feature of changing the de jure liege in the ducal history files. For instance in the history files I de jure transfer the duchy of Portucale/Porto to Portugal, after the final recognition by the Pope (if my sources weren't wrong that's 29 july 1139).Maybe make Portugal only formable by the duke of Porto/Portucale, maybe add as a creation effect that the kingdom of Portugal becomes the new de jure liege?

Last edited:
My issue with Wales and Brittany is that they are indeed both quite small, it seemed from the brief history of Brittanny I read that in order for a duke of Britanny to become king they would need to be recognised by the powerful King of France. Similarly Wales was most likely (apart from never being unified) being kept down by the King of England. Perhaps I could make it so that if wales has half as many counties as the King of England or Brittany has half as many counties as the King of France they could then become King.

My original issue with Pomerania was that it was just never going to form, and also quite small, so it may as well just remain unformable. I suppose there's no real harm in allowing it to be formable only for pagans though. I don't believe it should get back any lands in the HRE however. If I'm going to make events to allow it to become de jure part of somewhere it may as well include sweden as well IMO.

Events for allowing the rapid de jure change of Spain to Spanish countries is a good idea. Perhaps even giving muslim duchies de jure to Spanish kingdoms even if another christian country (like France) conquers them would be a good idea too. It is after all their back yard and they were the one's fighting the Muslims for 100s of years. Maybe I can just make the Spanish pursue the reconquista by giving them really negative relations with all the muslims there all the time (or hell even give france positive relations there).

With Lithuania, my main issue was that it just seemed weird that the first thing you did as a russian duke (while powergaming at least) was conquer enough of the Baltic region to become a King. I'll revert the change anyway though. I might make Pommerania part of the Kingdom of Lithuania just to add a challenge and see how that goes.

[edit]
TWcenter forum thread link http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=546151

Last edited:
Pomerania was never part of the Kingdom of Lithuania. If anything, Zhmud could be, but not Pomerania. From 11th cent. onwards, Pomerania was de facto Polish.... So if you don't want Kingdom of Pomerania, you should make it independent or part of Poland.

Well it's more the issue of fixing the fact that as a Russian duke the first thing you usually do (if trying to expand asap) is form the Kingdom of Lithuania (which is really easy). Which is more than a little odd.

So the options are either keep it that way, or restore the Lithuanian and Pommerian kingdoms but make neither of them formable (at least not by non pagans).

I could rename the Kingdom of Lithuania "Kingdom of the Balts" but that'd seem like a bit of an odd name. Also note this kingdom is not based on the historical Kingdom of Lithuania, because after all that failed to exist for 20 years straight. This perhaps even justifies me making it bigger, as it suggests that the Grand Duchy of Lithuania was too small to be called a Kingdom.

Last edited:
(....)
My original issue with Pomerania was that it was just never going to form, and also quite small, so it may as well just remain unformable. I suppose there's no real harm in allowing it to be formable only for pagans though. I don't believe it should get back any lands in the HRE however. If I'm going to make events to allow it to become de jure part of somewhere it may as well include sweden as well IMO.

(...)

Well instead of the HRE I should have said a de jure grant to the German kingdom AKA Germany (so no de jure transfer of the kingdom of Pomerania into the HRE (maybe only as a pagan only titular kingdom;)), if German crusaders conquer these regions; but if crusaders from other neighboring countries like Poland or Denmark or Sweden (first Denmark, but after the period covered by the game also Sweden, claimed the title king of the Wends), then it should go to one of them.

Furthermore Pomerania wasn't that large, but the Baltic region, where most of Lithuania is situated, is IMHO large enough; and it wouldn't be unthinkable, if a successful crusader or a converted leader like IRL the ruler (IIRC Mindaugas) of the shortlived Catholic kingdom of Lithuania (he was succeeded by a pagan relative, hence the loss of recognition of the royal title) managed to create a kingdom there.

Maybe a way to solve this is to turn the current kingdom of Lithuania into a de jure pagan only kingdom of the Balts and add a titular (twice as expensive) Christian kingdom, this could be Lithuania, which could turn into de jure by de jure transfer events.

Last edited:
, this could be Lithuania, which could turn into de jure by de jure transfer events.
I could make the Kingdom of Lithuania be able to be formed by Catholics or Pagans only (and restore Pommerania to it's former lands and make it pagan only)

Last edited:
New update posted

New update posted, Pagans and Muslims are now playable.

Now compatible with SOI (and 1.6).

New update for 1.06b.

A serious bug has also been fixed.

Pomerania was never part of the Kingdom of Lithuania. If anything, Zhmud could be, but not Pomerania. From 11th cent. onwards, Pomerania was de facto Polish.... So if you don't want Kingdom of Pomerania, you should make it independent or part of Poland.

IMHO then the kingdom of Pomerania should be divided between Germany (HRE) and Poland. Certainly Mecklenburg (march of Billung) should then be German, the duchy of Pomeralia should definitely be Polish; and the duchy of Pomerania should start out as de jure Polish, but make a de jure transfer to Germany (HRE) in the history file of that title, which is better for the later start dates. Not to mention Saxony, Meissen and Brandenburg, which naturally should be de jure Germany (HRE) too; and thus are already moved to it in this mod. :)

OTOH maybe crusaders from Denmark or Sweden end up conquering the coastal region instead. ;)

If you used BLC, does the mod work without Muslim Portrait Pack, which BLC seems to require?
It's the same as with BLC. I do believe it doesn't require the muslim portrait pack as such but that turkish faces will be bugged or something like that if you don't use mongol pack.
OTOH maybe crusaders from Denmark or Sweden end up conquering the coastal region instead.
wink2.gif
Exactly, there's no reason why Poland would have a much higher claim to the region than Sweden (for a total of 100 years!) if Sweden conquers that area. A kingdom that is basically never going to be formed is essentially the same as a blank area. Note that you can just leave duchies without kingdoms (which will appear on the kingdoms mapmode) but they look ugly if there's lots clumped together. So I'd definitely want to have a kingdom in pommerania for appearance purposes and not just 3 duchies next to each other.

Currently the only thing I've changed in the current build is in landed titles, so if you want to remove the BLC component just delete all the files in the mod folder apart from landed titles. Unfortunately I had to rebuild everything due to a gamebreaking bug in the old build so this version has slightly less features than one a couple of iterations ago.

Last edited:
(...)

Exactly, there's no reason why Poland would have a much higher claim to the region than Sweden (for a total of 100 years!) if Sweden conquers that area. A kingdom that is basically never going to be formed is essentially the same as a blank area. Note that you can just leave duchies without kingdoms (which will appear on the kingdoms mapmode) but they look ugly if there's lots clumped together. So I'd definitely want to have a kingdom in pommerania for appearance purposes and not just 3 duchies next to each other.

Currently the only thing I've changed in the current build is in landed titles, so if you want to remove the BLC component just delete all the files in the mod folder apart from landed titles. Unfortunately I had to rebuild everything due to a gamebreaking bug in the old build so this version has slightly less features than one a couple of iterations ago.

I think I'll try both :). You saved me a lot of time by removing those empires:); although I must admit that I also removed the kingdoms of Sicily and Croatia from the 'Byzantine' ((Eastern) Roman) Empire.
Furthermore I de jure moved the duchy of Holstein to the German Kingdom (& HRE).

Finally a question, you removed kingdoms such as Lotharingia, Bavaria and Frisia, so why keep Aquitania?

Last edited:
Well for a start Aquitania actually existed as a kingdom fairly recently. It also has it's own culture to go along with it and the kingdom of lotharingia is somewhat represented by the kingdom of burgundy ingame. While Frisia was a kingdom, it was a pagan and non carolignian kingdom and also died earlier than the others, so it has less legitimacy.

The duchy of holstein is a tricky one, I'll investigate if I can get an event to fire at the start of the game that causes the german parts to be de jure german and the danish part de jure danish.

Well for a start Aquitania actually existed as a kingdom fairly recently. It also has it's own culture to go along with it and the kingdom of lotharingia is somewhat represented by the kingdom of burgundy ingame. While Frisia was a kingdom, it was a pagan and non carolignian kingdom and also died earlier than the others, so it has less legitimacy.

The duchy of holstein is a tricky one, I'll investigate if I can get an event to fire at the start of the game that causes the german parts to be de jure german and the danish part de jure danish.

Is it possible for a duchy to not have a de jure kingdom? You could just make Holstein not de jure to either, and either could assimilate it.