• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Europa Universalis IV - Development Diary 27th of February - Roadmap to 1.37

Hello, and welcome again to a new series of EUIV Dev Diaries! For those of you who don’t know me yet, I joined Paradox Tinto a couple of years ago as QA, and I’ve transitioned in the past months to the position of Associate Producer. I’ve been pretty much involved in the development process of the new content for the 1.37 update, in a very exciting (and different) experience from my previous duties as QA. For this Dev Diary, I’ve synced with @Pavía, our Content Design Coordinator, to speak about the new content.

So, it’s been some time since the last DD, but we now are ready to start sharing with you the plans we have set for the upcoming DLC. We’ve learned the lessons from the development of King of Kings, and we’ve decided to start today by showing the overall plan for the new content, to correctly set the expectations about what to expect from the start. Without further ado, there will be 3 main areas we want to focus on: America, Central Europe, and Central Asia. Let’s start, then!​

America

Although the American nations received new mechanics and features in some previous DLCs (Conquest of Paradise, El Dorado, Golden Century, and Leviathan), we thought that it probably was the region with the most outdated content in terms of flavor, so a new revisit to it would be very much on point. The focus for it would be similar to that of the previous DLCs, from Origins to King of Kings, aiming to get more depth and replayability to nations with already well-established mechanics, such as the Incas or the Aztecs. On top of this, we also wanted to add some more additional content in Central America to the Mayan area.

You may have noticed that we’ve not mentioned any Colonial Nations, and that’s on purpose. Leviathan already implemented a new set of mechanics for them, and we feel that the experience of adding more flavor to play with any of them wouldn’t be so rewarding compared to other nations, so we decided to skip them, to be able to devote more development time to other regions that had also been very requested by the players.​

Inca

The Andean Empire of the Incas was a great pre-Columbian nation with a rich history that was not fully portrayed in EUIV until now. With the release of this new expansion, the Incas will be able to experience new missions that involve unifying their land, exploiting the gold and valuable resources produced in the Andes, honoring the sun god Inti, and preparing for upcoming invasions.

Aztecs

The valley of Mexico has a clear dominant power. The Aztecs have recently established their domain and their specialized troops, such as the mighty Jaguar Warriors, are determined to control all of Mesoamerica. With the new DLC, we are going to emphasize and recreate the differences between them and their neighbors, allowing them to expand their control and create new tributaries using the Flower Wars, offer fresh blood sacrifices, and prepare the Aztec society to face the newcomers from Europe.

Mayans

The main purpose of the gameplay with Mayans will be to prevent the full collapse of their civilization, in the so-called Post-Classical Age. To do that, we are giving them more flavor and paths to unify all their neighbors under one ruler, taking advantage of the Yucatan jungle and the profitable trade in the region, while setting new objectives outside of it.

Central Europe

We’re back in Europe, again! Why is that, you may wonder? The main reason is that we had plans to develop even more content initially planned for Domination, but we had to prioritize the countries properly to ensure that we would get them in for the DLC. That’s why we decided to cut some of the initially planned content and wait for a better moment that would allow us to fully develop our initial design ideas. The time for it has come, and we’ve focused on 3 areas in this region. On the one hand, in the Empire itself, the Netherlands is receiving content in line with what a Great Power deserves to have, while Austria is also receiving an update in line with that of Prussia, as the previously existing content from Emperor was quite wide; this is complemented with more content for the Germany formable country. The second area is Italy, in which we’re also adding more content for Venice, one of the most popular Merchant Republics, but also for the formable Italy country itself, which will add a layer of gameplay to the different Italian countries. Finally, we’ve also reviewed the content for Eastern Central Europe, essentially for Bohemia and Hungary, which will be potential candidates to become a Great Power if deciding carefully which path to follow.​

Netherlands

The forums have been flooded with requests for more content related to the Netherlands in the past few years. It is fair because as we said, it was in our initial plans for Domination; therefore, we’re now adding a substantial amount of new content. The Netherlands had a powerful presence in trading through the merchant and war fleet, and we aim to enhance their abilities to control the most important trade nodes, interact with other great powers of Europe, colonize while setting the unfamous VOC and WIC while promoting the Dutch culture to a new level.

Austria

The Habsburgs were always ambitious, seeking more power and control. With the introduction of the new mission tree, the Holy Roman Emperor will now have more ways to deal with both internal and external vassals, allowing them to extend their control over territories such as Hungary, Bohemia, Naples, Burgundy, Castile, Poland, and more. To manage all these thrones, unique features will be added to Austria, allowing them to interact with their junior partners. Additionally, a new formable will be created that may create some headaches for the Austrians.

Germany

As with the soon-to-be-mentioned Italy, the primary objective of the German content is to enhance the late-game experience. Germany would need to unify their region, conquer neighboring lands, industrialize their cities, and manage any revolutions that may occur. It is worth noting that there will be variations in the flavor of the game depending on the specific German country that manages to unify all the land, creating some different gameplay from this.

Venice

The Most Serene Republic of Venice was one of the most prominent nations in 1444. With the Renaissance in full swing, we have added new missions, events, and more content to interact with various illustrated characters, while reaping the benefits of their mighty trading fleet. Even if Venice can expand its trading empire across the Mediterranean, it might not be enough, and they may need to explore new territories beyond their current reach to further bolster the positions of the Serenissima.

Italy

We’re trying to address some of the shared requests for Italy, making for a longer campaign, with more diverse gameplay options. In the new DLC, we are trying to solve this issue and give extra flavor to the Italian nations that finish their missions trees and more. While not being a historical country in our time frame, their scope will be a mix of historical borders and goals plus an extra of what ifs regarding their glorious past. The main paths are going to be the conquest of the rest of Europe and becoming the true Roman successor, industrializing the Italian Peninsula, and dominating global trade.

Hungary

In the Hungarian mission tree available with Emperor the main focus for this country was about conquering the Balkans. However, with the new expansion, we’ll improve it to provide more options to increase the Hungarian control over neighboring regions. To achieve this, Hungary would need to confront Poland, Austria, the Ottomans, and other further territories such as the Teutonic Order and Naples. But, at the same time, they must also take care of their internal affairs by improving infrastructure and strengthening the economy.

Bohemia

Bohemia is a nation that has not been significantly changed for some time. However, with the new update, we plan to introduce better and more engaging missions that allow Bohemia to interact with the Holy Roman Empire and make the Bohemian crown a main contender for it while improving the Hussite Wars outcome, and giving a deeper touch to the religion and the kingdom. Additionally, we are expanding the options to expand the domain of Bohemia to include the Balkans, Germany, Poland, and beyond.

Central Asia

The final region we’ll tackle is Central Asia. This is also a legacy of previous designs that initially we’d like to implement both in Domination and King of Kings, but that we had to skip in favor of the other countries. We have a divide between countries aspiring to become Great Powers (the Timurids and Mughals), the Hordes (for which we’ll implement differential regional content and branches), and some Middle Eastern player and dev favorites that we were very requested in the past few months: Hisn Kayfa, Hormuz & Oman, and Trebizond. And, of course, we also have Theodoro! It might not be either in Central Europe or Central Asia, but… Well, maybe with their new content, they might be a power to reckon with in these regions…​

Timurids

The descendants of Timur start in a precarious situation. With the new design, we aim to recreate the administrative chaos that was due to the Mongol succession laws. If they manage to overcome the myriad of successor estates existing around the death of Shah Rukh, their fates are going to be attached to the paths they decide to follow. Create a new Nomadic country, being able to reclaim their ancestral lands, or accept new traditions and try to consolidate a new domain and power in Persia.

Mughals

This Gunpowder Empire born from an offspring of the Timurid dynasty is primarily focused on conquering the Indian subcontinent. However, we aim to incorporate a new flavor that would allow for a more interesting management of their internal affairs, such as the mansabdars. Additionally, the Mughal Empire will undertake new goals to enhance its economic and cultural standing.

Hordes

The nomadic lords of the steppes are an important addition to the content of this DLC. We have decided to make some of their goals accessible to all the Hordes, while other parts of the content will be exclusive to specific regions. Therefore, the Western Tatars, Central Moghulistan, and the Eastern Mongols will have new paths enabling them to conquer new lands and raze them to the ground, as a proper Khan should aim to do!

Hisn Kayfa

The golden age of the Ayyubid dynasty came to an end a long time ago. Hisn Kayfa is surrounded by heathens, pagans, and minor dynasties, but also by powerful countries ready to crush them if not prepared to tackle them. To restore the former glory of the Caliphate and reclaim Syria, Egypt, and Arabia, Saladin's legacy requires a more ambitious mission tree.

Trebizond

The once powerful and prestigious Komnenoi family now only retains their name. Trebizond has lost its dominance in the Black Sea, and the remnants of the Byzantine Empire are close to collapse. However, they might still be able to reclaim their lost territories, extend their control over the Black Sea and Anatolia, and take back Constantinople, either from the Palaiologos or from the heathens.

Theodoro

Theodoro is a nation that faces a challenging start. To survive, they must defeat neighboring Hordes, Turks, and Slavs. The new campaign will enhance the flavor of this heroic contender for the control of the Black Sea. Raise the banners, and a new Gothic invasion might go on once again!

Hormuz & Oman

The prosperous nations of Hormuz and Oman in the Arabian Peninsula have mainly relied on trading within the Persian Gulf to prosper and become wealthy entrepots. However, with the new opportunities presented to them, they might be able to expand their horizons and potentially establish a global trade empire that controls the trade and land in Arabia, East Africa, and India, extending their influence across the Indian Ocean.

That’s all about the new content for 1.37! Thanks for those of you reading us again, we’re very excited about receiving your feedback about this roadmap! And next week, we’ll start with proper development diaries, showcasing the new content for America: the Aztecs, Mayans, and Incas! It will be a meaty Dev Diary, for sure!

*EDIT*
A Post Publishing addition for you, a new Father Lorris Comic!
ComicLorris.png

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 83Love
  • 66Like
  • 5Haha
Reactions:
I very much like this setting the tone, and it's great we understand what's in scope.

Speaking of that scope, I know you've ruled out toys for Colonial Nations, but does that include the formables like the US and Mexico?

• 12Like
Reactions:
Looking good! I have following suggestions for the Netherlands:

As I fully agree on the trade focus you propose, I feel that at the startdate, Bruges should be a lvl 2 or even lvl 3 centre of trade. It was pretty much the economic capital of northwestern Europe at that time. It was here that the Dukes of Burgundy had their Court, not in their in-game capital. The Golden Age of Bruges ended when Mary of Burgundy died while at the same time the sea route to Bruges began silting up (disaster/events?). Taking advantage of this, Antwerp rapidly developed to take Bruges' place as economic and cultural capital of the low countries (event to cheaply level center of trade for the owner?). Antwerp would keep that position until the religious wars destroyed the city because after the Spanish took the city after a very long siege, the Dutch Republic closed off the Scheldt river so trade ships could no longer reach Antwerp (part of the Dutch revolt and Spanish Netherlands events?). It was only when prominent merchants, artists en printers fled north to avoid prosecution that Amsterdam became the leading city of the low countries (more Dutch events?).

So basicly, this should make the Netherlands economicaly very powerful by the time it can be formed.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I for one did not expect this, not at all. This is like receiving the best news ever in the least expected moment as I for one spent the last week (after the sneak peek in Twitter) being sad over the fact that we would get some New World DLC next, an area I practically never start as, nor even colonize.

I was never really one of the vocal critics of PDX at any point, always keeping some hope afloat somewhere within. It seems like I was not wrong... Thank you PDX, now if you only consider people like me who play on not the best systems for gaming (mine is an M2 Pro MacBook) any tweaks to performance alongside these excellent content would be worth so much :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
So all 3 expected DLCs packed into one... Sounds like it's the last one, after all. :(

While I'm very excited about it, but damn, no content for Muisca or other Central American natives, it's just Aztecs, Mayans and Incas. I hope others get new generic trees at least.

• 4Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
This is quite ambitious. I wonder how much content each named tag will get, just a little bit or will all of these get a big mission tree each? I also think it's a shame that the generic native tree isn't getting revamped.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I appreciate that the colonial nations themselves may not merit an update. At the same time, if you’re updating the pre-Columbian tags, I hope colonization itself can be updated. Both for sake of the colonizers and the locals.

Also, some love for the post-colonial tags would be nice…

• 7Like
Reactions:
I very much like this setting the tone, and it's great we understand what's in scope.

Speaking of that scope, I know you've ruled out toys for Colonial Nations, but does that include the formables like the US and Mexico?
Most likely yes, and there are other formables which are more in need of content or mission trees (like Bharat/Hindustan for example), than US and Mexico. The main reason being that a player will almost never switch to playing to a colonial nation or start at a different start date (which for the US & Mexico which have to be near the end of the game). If those nations get an update, it perhaps should focus on AI flavour, because a player will never have control over it (and the US has a lot of content anyways already in the game that the majority of players will never interact with).

Glad to see "Maya", "Inca" and "Aztecs" getting an update, as well as the central asian nations listed. :)

Could this really be this the last DLC at last? EU5 on the distant horizon?

• 3Like
Reactions:
As much as i like updating regions that lavk content you mentioned here (Eldorado nations, Central Asia), I'm quite disappointed with the lack of content for CNs. I understand that there is plenty of mechanics for owning a CN, but there is not much for playing as it.

I posted some suggestions about it some time ago.

In summary:

1. Add option to play as non-independent colonial nation and fight your own independence war
2. Contents for formable post-colonial nations (some of them still have generic ideas, not metioning mission)
3. Improve the idea of super formables in Americas (like the US or Canada formed by other formables)

• 6Like
Reactions:
The clarity of this is wonderful. But just to be clear, ALL 3 of those areas are a focus of THIS next dlc?

That's correct! Obviously some nations will get more work than others (Similar to all our major expansions) but all the nations listed here will be touched or updated in some way in the DLC shipping alongside 1.37 :)

• 25Like
  • 6Love
Reactions:
I have been LONGING for a rework of the "3 classic" new world powers for a LOOOOONG time now. They used to by my very favorites for most of my playtime back in the days.

• 5Like
Reactions: