• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dev Diary #113 - Community Choice Event Pack

Greetings!

We’re all back, gathered from the holidays, and ready to set sail for 2023! Actually, most of us have been back for a few weeks by this point, working away on this year's big release, but we're not going to be talking about that just yet. That's not to say we're not going to in the future, but until we are ready to, we want to give you something to dig your teeth into as a community. This is the first of a small series of Dev Diaries about some more minor things, teasers, and today, about a brand-new community initiative!
But first, here’s a small teaser of something coming in the expansion:
teaser1.png

[Image - Teaser]

Later this year, after we’ve released the next big expansion and before we start working on the next large project, we’ll have a period where we have the time and opportunity to work on an event pack. For the last event pack we chose ‘friends and foes’ as the core theme, as it was something practically everyone in the team felt strongly about, and something that needed more content in the game. Since then, we’ve had so many ideas for future event packs, both from within the team and outside, and this time it’s harder to choose…

Therefore we’d like to invite all of you to help us decide which theme to pick! We have three themes that we’ve curated, which means a few things; each theme has designers on the team that are passionate about them, and we know roughly what free feature we’d like to add to the update that will accompany the event pack: generally we'll be aiming for something with a similar size and impact as Friends & Foes' Memories system, which heavily ties into the events we're making but is relevant across the game as a whole.

We don’t have final names for the event packs yet, but as we enjoy alliteration here’s what we’re calling them and a very brief description of each:

Wards & Wardens - Anything childhood-related, with themes such as: playing as a child, being a guardian, handling children in court, and so on. A deep dive into what being a child in the Middle Ages was actually like, and what guardianship meant in practical terms.

Love & Lust - An exploration of more intimate relationships, with themes such as: expanded seduction, romance, married life, and so on. This would be a great time to allow lovers and spouses to take on a larger role in the game.

Villains & Vagabonds - Events and content around Dread and Tyranny, exploring what it means to be dreaded, leveraging your fearsome reputation, making dread more visible, and the consequences and opportunities of being a tyrant. It’d also be interesting to explore the other side of the coin from Dread - fairness, and honor.

Even though this event pack is something we’ll work on later this year, it’s good to get your input now - this way we can start working on it without delay as soon as the next big expansion is out! As we have a lot of talented event-crafters on the design team, we feel quite confident that we can adapt to whatever theme you, as a community, choose.

If this turns out to be a popular activity, it is possible that we will do it again in the future! The themes that do not get chosen this time will likely make a comeback, alongside some new challengers.

The poll to vote is located in a separate forum thread here. Voting will begin today and you will have until January 27, 8am CET to discuss the different themes and cast your vote. We’re looking forward to seeing which theme you like the most!

EventPackThemeVote.png

• 106Like
  • 25Love
Reactions:
Villains and Vagabonds it is for me.

Also, the image concernig the big expansion reminds me of traveling. Will we see our rulers travel in fixed locations?

• 18Like
Reactions:
Does it mean we are going to build roads in CK3?
Saving time do help us connect our characters with their realm, at least to their capital.

• 15Like
Reactions:
  • 19Like
Reactions:
As the core focus of this game is family I naturally vote for Wards & Wardens

• 4Like
Reactions:
This sounds as if we could count on only one big expansion this year and probably only one flavour pack like last year. I have to admid, thats to slow for me personally, especially compared to the pace they had with CK2. That was actually just about the right time to bring something new. Every 3 to 5 months. That was just perfect.

• 19Like
Reactions:
The image shows a bridge in the mountains, which could mean a lot of things. Travel? Constructing infrastructure? Maybe trade? Terrain in the abstract?

When it comes to the event packs, I think all three of these options are interesting, but I voted for Wards and Wardens. It is the one that I personally am most interested in, and in my opinion also the one where the base game needs more content the most.

Regarding Love and Lust, I am still a bit annoyed at all the existing events that force adultery to happen when it doesn't make sense. There should be checks to make sure it does.

Villains and Vagabonds also seems like a very interesting theme, especially exploring fairness and honor as the opposite of dread. This would be my second choice after Wards and Wardens.

• 23Like
Reactions:
Ward and Wardens it is. For me at least. I would have loved it for my 0 year old Byzantine Empress after her father kicked the bucket in a hunting accident half a year into his rule. Children and their flavour are still a bit barren in the game.

Second one would be Villains too. I would love to see what characters think about a person beside the opinions. Like I know he is a villanous scoundrel, but I like his guts and need him to keep my enemies at bay.

Last edited:
  • 13Like
Reactions:
Nice! Good to have the DDs back. Choosing one of three themes isharder than it seems.

Anyway, regarding the teaser TINFOIL HAT ON. You guys previously said that the nexy big DLC will somehow improve the relation between map and character and now you show us a bridge. I interpret this in two possible ways. Since this looks like an event background you might be developing after all some sort of travelling system that might revamp decisions like pilgrimages, leading troops, feasts if you are a guest or travelling to pay homage.

Maybe you are teasing us about buildings? Royal Court re-did the culture system, could the free update accompanying the DLC be a revamp of the building/holdings system? Perhaps a way to make more impactful buildings or even customizing uniques like the great works of CK2? Being able to change terrains type maybe?

Being extra speculative here but since monarchs in the middle ages had more of a travelling court rather than a fixed one is there a chance that the next DLC will grant the player some sort of monarch actions like councilors have?

• 16Like
Reactions: