[Husky 1.9.3] (a7a4) Puppeting Ethiopia as Italy bypasses "Triumph in Africa"

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

FLUX2226

Major
16 Badges
Nov 15, 2019
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Prison Architect
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
Description: Puppeting Ethiopia as Italy now fulfills the bypass requirements: Ethiopia exists (ignoring that it's now a puppet) and is at peace with Italy.
I haven't tested it in previous game versions but I assume this happens since the release of LaR, because since then the pup up newpapers says that the war between Italy and Ethiopia "continues elsewhere" once Italy has won.

DLC Information: All, except for the Allied Speeches

Mods: No mods

Reproduction Steps: After starting a new game as Italy, defeat Ethiopia and puppet them (Both peace conference and manual releasing works). Triumph in Africa will then bypass without granting the stability and war support.

Reactions:
Upvote 0
Could it actually be intentional? Since LR it can be better for Italy to puppet Ethiopia rather than annex. Bypassing the focus would balance that off.

But in that case the problem is that it wasn’t mentioned in the patch notes.

Reactions:
Could it actually be intentional? Since LR it can be better for Italy to puppet Ethiopia rather than annex. Bypassing the focus would balance that off.

But in that case the problem is that it wasn’t mentioned in the patch notes.
As far as I remember, you could puppet them before LaR without bypassing it. The focus requirements are to either own Ethiopia or have them as a puppet. So it wouldn't make sense for the puppet requirement to double as a bypass requirement.

As far as I remember, you could puppet them before LaR without bypassing it. The focus requirements are to either own Ethiopia or have them as a puppet. So it wouldn't make sense for the puppet requirement to double as a bypass requirement.
Yes, but LR changed compliance. This makes puppeting Ethiopia a more attractive option.
Anyway, there is certainly a bug here.

Yes, but LR changed compliance. This makes puppeting Ethiopia a more attractive option.
Anyway, there is certainly a bug here.
Personal preference, tho'. I like to puppet Ethiopia but I don't want to bypass the focus because it's the only one for Italy that gives stability (and war support, but that's less important). So I have to annex them for a while, do the focus, then manually release them as a puppet. Which works, but it's awkward.

Normally puppeting Ethiopia is massively better for Italy than annexing so it was certainly intended so that you can get the stability and war support bonuses only if you take the less advantageous historical annexation option.

But currently nothing stops you from releasing Ethiopia after the focus is finished. It would work only if manual release of Ethiopia would be blocked.

Normally puppeting Ethiopia is massively better for Italy than annexing so it was certainly intended so that you can get the stability and war support bonuses only if you take the less advantageous historical annexation option.

But currently nothing stops you from releasing Ethiopia after the focus is finished. It would work only if manual release of Ethiopia would be blocked.
But it worked in the past, I doubt this sudden change with LaR was intended-