• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Reichadler

Sergeant
71 Badges
Nov 15, 2005
steamcommunity.com
  • BATTLETECH
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 - Second Wave
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 -  Back to Hell
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Diplomacy
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • King Arthur II
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Pride of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
I see this now requires species classes for traits...

Code:
trait_industrious = {
 cost = 2
 allowed_classes = { HUM MAM REP AVI ART MOL FUN PLANT }
 modifier = {
  tile_resource_minerals_mult = 0.15
 }
}

Which is great for custom traits, but a nightmare for custom species...

My thoughts where create my own traits &/or duplicate the existing ones, to add my custom race in... but then things like Psyonics & uplift wont work.

I then tried to add my race to be HUM, but the game crashes with any change to the HUM species without overwriting 00_species_classes.txt which I am loathed to do as it will create a mod conflict nightmare.

Is there a way to make my species human without killing mod compatibility?

Im trying to update my own mods, and when i click upload stellaris just crashes.

No kidding.
I can't start a game now because I have like 90 custom races with custom pictures.

Hm, yes, I'm having trouble understanding how to patch some of my mods as well. The patching wouldn't be a problem if it was possible to add custom portrait sets on the main species_classes from outside the 00_species_classes.txt, but trying that crashes the game. And of course, making a mod that modifies 00_species_classes.txt would mean that that portrait mod is now incompatible with all other portrait mods, as well as any other mods that affect the properties of vanilla species_classes.

You're going to have to either add clones of the vanilla traits or... well, that's it.

It's a shame really - everything else in 1.8 is super mod friendly, but this one basically makes standalone species mods a bit of a nightmare.

You're going to have to either add clones of the vanilla traits or... well, that's it.
That is a solution for the starting Empires, but wouldn't that cause problems when dealing with event triggers, Ascensions, etc.?

You could have Proles or Hive-minded drones, the game will try to put the vanilla traits on them, but if they belong to a new custom species_class it wil not be able to do it, I imagine.

Last edited:
That is a solution for the starting Empires, but wouldn't that cause problems when dealing with event triggers, Ascensions, etc.?

You could have Proles or Hive-minded drones, the game will try to put the vanilla traits on them, but if they belong to a new custom species_class it wil not be able to do it, I imagine.

Yeah it's going to suck for getting events to work. You'd have to rebuild every event to work with scripted triggers or something...

Solution (IMO) was to use species type tags and restrict traits to them. So you'd have:

ROM = { tag = "organic" ... }

Or something, and then the traits would restrict on tag = organic.

Current solution basically breaks bespoke species mods.

On my to-do list was playing a game with all of Silfae's civs and the Star Falls civs.

It seems this plan has been delayed.

Hopefully it's just a communication issue or is resolved in the near future with a way to inherit traits for another species class or something.

Hm, yes, I'm having trouble understanding how to patch some of my mods as well. The patching wouldn't be a problem if it was possible to add custom portrait sets on the main species_classes from outside the 00_species_classes.txt, but trying that crashes the game. And of course, making a mod that modifies 00_species_classes.txt would mean that that portrait mod is now incompatible with all other portrait mods, as well as any other mods that affect the properties of vanilla species_classes.

My current work around has been to use prescripted nations, using all my custom species graphics, but given class HUM. It works, but if someone prods to deep into customisation & changes a graphic it comes unstuck. I have fallback traits added in... but it is not a pleasant solution.

I use a trait mod, and quite a few portrait mods, and because of this update, NONE of the traits appear on non vanilla species, not even the modded in ones, which dont appear on the vanilla species either. the hive-minded trait simply says its required and wont let me use it when i try to get a hive-mind empire, meaning i cant play as a hive mind. the syncretic evolution and robot assimilators also bug out withe servile and cybernetic traits, meaning i cant use them. some traits wont let me use it until i take out the trait and put it back on, meaning i have to take all of my empires i made (which is quite a lot) and I have to put the traits and fix them. if it wasnt for this stupid trait inclusion thing, this update would have been completely fine!

As a temporary solution (and I HOPE it's temporary and Paradox addresses this issue ASAP, preferably along the lines of Walshicus' tag suggestion) I made a hub mod that simply adds custom species classes to vanilla traits:

Universal Traits for Custom Species

Please help me make this as complete as possible! If anyone could compile a list of species_classes used by popular species mods, that would be super helpful. I've already integrated my mods, Silfae's portraits, Star Falls and Star Wars portraits but it's going a bit slow because I have to download those mods and dig up their species_class IDs myself. Any help cataloguing them would be appreciated n_n

But like seriously, we need this hotfixed as soon as possible. This thing breaks all existing and future species mods.

eklund pls

Last edited:
I see this now requires species classes for traits...

Code:
trait_industrious = {
 cost = 2
 allowed_classes = { HUM MAM REP AVI ART MOL FUN PLANT }
 modifier = {
  tile_resource_minerals_mult = 0.15
 }
}

Which is great for custom traits, but a nightmare for custom species...

My thoughts where create my own traits &/or duplicate the existing ones, to add my custom race in... but then things like Psyonics & uplift wont work.

I then tried to add my race to be HUM, but the game crashes with any change to the HUM species without overwriting 00_species_classes.txt which I am loathed to do as it will create a mod conflict nightmare.

Is there a way to make my species human without killing mod compatibility?

And THAT is why I use text editors that have a "find and replace every copy of this phrase with this phrase".

Anyways, there are three solutions. The one for compatibility

:

Option two: just make your species a sub-species of a previously existing class.

Option three: override the original trait file, adding your tag to the allowed classes. Repeat for any other files that define allowed species class tags.

Problem? Other mods. If even one other mod also does that same trick, one will override the other and for the poor sod that got overridden is back to square one.

Strictly speaking if you are making a custom mod pack or just want to play with mods, you COULD figure out every class tag that you will be using from every mod and add those in as stated in option 3.

Anyways, it is an irritating problem, one I hope will not be permanent.

I'm going to look into whether we can do a more multi-mod friendly implementation of this tomorrow, maybe have disallowed species instead of allowed species or something along those lines.

I'm going to look into whether we can do a more multi-mod friendly implementation of this tomorrow, maybe have disallowed species instead of allowed species or something along those lines.
Thank you! <3

But could you consider using a tagging system (as outlined by Walshicus earlier in the thread) instead? Explicitly linking to species classes is going to cause conflicts and problems no matter what. Tags/flags that could be shared by multiple species would probably be the least aggressive implementation that I can think of.

Last edited:
That would in fact be wonderful.

I personally recommend having "allowed" or "disallowed" traits/techs/ethics defined only under the species_class, if that is possible. This allows us modders to adjust what our species can or cannot be used for without requiring us to replace a core game file.

EDIT: Btw, I have not yet said thank you for working so hard on all these bug reports and fixes!

A good idea is to keep the inclusive traits, but only on machine empires, that way no other modded empire can accidentally get robot traits, but put exclusion on the regular traits, that way modded empires can use them

Thank you! <3

Could you consider using a tagging system (as outlined by Walshicus earlier in the thread) instead tho? Explicitly linking to species classes is going to cause conflicts and problems no matter what. Tags/flags that could be shared by multiple species would probably be the least aggressive implementation that I can think of.

Agreed -- otherwise you have weird situations where Synthetic Portrait Mod A can't get traits from Synthetic Trait Mod B because B explicitly grants vanilla synths traits, but doesn't account for the new species class of A.

Thanks Wiz. I was really excited to see Dawn come out yesterday as I would be able to use my day off ( Rosh Hashanah ) to enjoy the release. I spent 3 hours creating random species using non-standard portraits simply because I wanted to and now .. clearly, I cannot.