• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Duckroll

Recruit
82 Badges
Jun 19, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Crusader Kings III Referal
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Victoria 2
  • Age of Wonders
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
I've probably spent £200 on these two games and I'm sitting playing these games on a four year old monitor, but the text is unreadable. I realize I can reduce to a decade old resolution to fix it, but it looks awful then. I realize there are mods to fix it, but they don't always work well and if modders can do this, Paradox can too.

I'm largely happy to ignore the quirks of Paradox games because they're so great in other areas, but they clearly have active development going on in these games and no immediate plans for a sequel to either.

Please stop making features for six months and fix the UI. It's fun playing a Pirate Republic and all, but the mess of a UI really spoils things.

40 DLCs for EU4 and CK2 and still no UI Scaling?
Been a while since you looked in the settings.txt files for those games, has it? :D

It's there, but not great. By scaling up the UI it makes everything except the map look fuzzy. I've tried this in CK2, EU4, & Stellaris not sure about HOI4

These games wasn't made with anything greater than 1080p in mind.

It's there, but not great. By scaling up the UI it makes everything except the map look fuzzy. I've tried this in CK2, EU4, & Stellaris not sure about HOI4

These games wasn't made with anything greater than 1080p in mind.
They were made specifically for 720, the UI was at least.

Now, you can scale it up to 4k if you wanted. It's not going to look pretty, and it's not really supposed to.

They were made specifically for 720, the UI was at least.

Now, you can scale it up to 4k if you wanted. It's not going to look pretty, and it's not really supposed to.

Yea but higher than 1080p is becoming more common, I think paradox should look into making the UI look good with higher res monitors
It's not like there's any downside to players on lower resolution monitors seeing they might upgrade in the future too

Currently as is, UI scaling isn't a good solution for anything greater than 1080p

Take heart, regarding 4k UI scaling:

"I'm sure that as time goes on we will adopt and embrace it, should it become more widespread."

upload_2019-1-10_16-39-50.png

Remember:

Ever post is a vote.

Vote early.

Vote often.

:)

Take heart, regarding 4k UI scaling:

"I'm sure that as time goes on we will adopt and embrace it, should it become more widespread."

View attachment 440099

Remember:

Ever post is a vote.

Vote early.

Vote often.

@TinyWiking I'm old enough to remember playing games on "monochrome" monitors, but 4K was new in 2015. I recently replayed Borderlands (1), released in 2009, and it supports 4K2K.

Last edited:
I recently replayed Borderlands (1), released in 2009, and it supports 4K2K.

Oooo!

A great read-between-the-lines cajole:

"If an indie company such as Gearbox can support 4k2k, why can't ____________" (complete the sentence).

Hamurabi for the win!

That game is somehow still manages to be interesting, even after 51 years of release.

Had to look that up:

upload_2019-2-11_12-58-37.png

Hamurabi (video game)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Designer(s) Doug Dyment
Platform(s) PDP-8, personal computer
Release
  • 1968 (FOCAL)
  • 1973 (BASIC)
Genre(s) Strategy game, text-based game
Mode(s) Single-player
Hamurabi is a text-based strategy video game of land and resource management first developed by Doug Dyment in 1968. It was developed by Dyment at Digital Equipment Corporation as The Sumer Game as a computer game for fellow employee Richard Merrill's newly invented FOCAL programming language.

The game consists of ten rounds wherein the player, as the ancient Babylonian king Hammurabi, manages how much of their grain to spend on crops for the next round, feeding their people, and purchasing additional land, while dealing with random variations in crop yields and plagues. The Sumer Game was possibly inspired by the 1966 The Sumerian Game, a much more in-depth text-based economic simulation intended for children.

Multiple versions of the game were created for the FOCAL and FOCAL-69 languages, but in 1973 David H. Ahl released BASIC Computer Games, a book of games written in the BASIC programming language and the first million-selling computer book, which included his version of The Sumer Game. This expanded version of the game, titled Hamurabi, quickly became the more prominent version due to the popularity of both the book and the programming language. Hamurabi influenced many later strategy and simulation games and is also an antecedent to the city-building genre.

The whole counter argument is very odd; that either nobody out there uses anything greater than 1920 x 1080. I can't play EU / CK on my 4yo Surface because I can't scale the UI. Myself, like lots of people will be looking at the DLC's and the sales for them and simply going - No - doesn't run on anything modern. Imagine how much money they must be losing out on from poor development / architect (and I'm an architect).

The whole counter argument is very odd; that either nobody out there uses anything greater than 1920 x 1080. I can't play EU / CK on my 4yo Surface because I can't scale the UI. Myself, like lots of people will be looking at the DLC's and the sales for them and simply going - No - doesn't run on anything modern. Imagine how much money they must be losing out on from poor development / architect (and I'm an architect).

I think they mentioned that only a small percent of their players currently use 4k displays based on their internal data, but after recently upgrading to a 4k monitor I definitely understand the struggle. If they want these games to be playable for years to come, good 4k support is a requirement.

I think they mentioned that only a small percent of their players currently use 4k displays based on their internal data, but after recently upgrading to a 4k monitor I definitely understand the struggle. If they want these games to be playable for years to come, good 4k support is a requirement.

When I launch EU4 I have to use 1080p cause scaling is horrible. I wonder now that CK2 has UI scaling maybe they see the difference. Or have they collected desktop resolution data?

When I launch EU4 I have to use 1080p cause scaling is horrible. I wonder now that CK2 has UI scaling maybe they see the difference. Or have they collected desktop resolution data?

Yeah I have doubts about that statistic because of the reason you outlined as well. They might be misinterpreting the data they have lol

Reactions: