Why Imperator Rome was going to be a far better game than other Paradox titles we have now

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I am already worried by the fact the forum's already dying out.
Is it? I agree that it has become silent compared to the (for IR dimensions) extreme traffic it got right after 2.0, but for me it is now comparable to pre 2.0 phases between last patch releases a while ago and DDs for the next haven't resumed yet.

• 2Like
Reactions:
It is true that the forum has gone dormant and it is only two weeks after PDS announced that the game was on development pause. Such is the power of expectations in our time.

On the other hand, the mods forum is active.

I like a vibrant forum with many suggestions but I do not mind a quiet one if we can discuss game mechanics and content in deep and thoughtful manners. In the month of November and December of last year the suggestions were very scarce on anticipation of 2.0. Now I foresee that the odd player will ask questions on the game and mods will take over the "development" of the game.

• 2Like
Reactions:
It is true that the forum has gone dormant and it is only two weeks after PDS announced that the game was on development pause. Such is the power of expectations in our time.

On the other hand, the mods forum is active.

I like a vibrant forum with many suggestions but I do not mind a quiet one if we can discuss game mechanics and content in deep and thoughtful manners. In the month of November and December of last year the suggestions were very scarce on anticipation of 2.0. Now I foresee that the odd player will ask questions on the game and mods will take over the "development" of the game.
I only started posting so much here because Paradox stopped development on Imperator. And I only started posting on the forums in general because I flipped out at the release of EU4's new DLC. Paradox have a strange way of dirivng traffic to the forums theese days, what can I say.

Reactions:
I:R 2.0 got me out of my forum hibernation. I have been a member since 2001, but I think I had less than 100 posts when 2.0 was released.

I have written most new posts on here, but the past month or so, I haven't had much time to play games at all, which has also led to me posting less.

I hope to be able to get som I:R-time soon.

• 5Like
Reactions:
But they're not committed, they're the exact opposite of committed, and in any case, deep overhaul mods can rival the work of dev teams, EB, Rome Surrectum, Medieval 1212, MEIOU and Taxes etc

I think the content produced is much closer in quality than you imagine, plus with Paradox out the way modders have a stable base to work on. They're not coming back to this game to do anything other than a few bug fixes, and QOL improvements etc, there's no IR 3.0 coming, because there's no player-base, sad but that's how it is.

Imperator's future probably looks lot more like March of the Eagles than Medieval Total War 2.

There will be a few mods that come out over the next few months.

Then nothing. No modders, no mods, nothing.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Players have talked about Imperator as a joke and warned others not to even try the game. It was never as bad as some claimed and its been steadily improved through patches and DLC's.

Every time imperator got some patch that improved it, people still claimed it was a joke of a game and kept warning people to stay away and gave bad reviews.

And now that the game is one of the better GSG games people reviewbomb it to make sure that paradox wont bother recruiting more devs to work on it.

And still some wonders why development was put on hold.
It is trash. It was trash on release and it is still trash.

• 2Haha
Reactions:
Imperator's future probably looks lot more like March of the Eagles than Medieval Total War 2.

There will be a few mods that come out over the next few months.

Then nothing. No modders, no mods, nothing.
I hope there is an inbetween, as reaching the level of M2TW modding community sounds more like a dream goal than a realistic one, (and there's also the fact that it's the last game where modders have large liberties unlike Paradox where modders have always enjoyed a large degree (at least to my knowledge) in terms of modding tools and even some times direct help from the developers (or even modders beeing recruited into PDS)

Reactions:
I hope there is an inbetween, as reaching the level of M2TW modding community sounds more like a dream goal than a realistic one, (and there's also the fact that it's the last game where modders have large liberties unlike Paradox where modders have always enjoyed a large degree (at least to my knowledge) in terms of modding tools and even some times direct help from the developers (or even modders beeing recruited into PDS)

While possible, it is far more unlikely than not.

Modders usually mod for games with living communities. Why waste time modding a dead game? Imperator had a small community even when it was alive, and now it's all but gone.

Reactions:
I want to belive this is an omega brained marketing stratery for Paradox to then come out and say "We can see that our loyal players love Imperator Rome and want to see it realised to it's full potential so we are going to release a new DLC that you MFs better buy instantly or else you will never see your beloved Imperator ever again". But I doubt it.
Ah yes, holding Imperator literally at gunpoint to make us buy DLC, a real classy move.
Not gonna lie, I'd buy it anyway.

Just imagine how people would have reacted if 2.0 was the state of which the game was released in.
I wouldn't even go that far, if 1.2 was 1.0, the situation of the game would be 100% different imo.

• 2Like
Reactions:

Modders usually mod for games with living communities. Why waste time modding a dead game? Imperator had a small community even when it was alive, and now it's all but gone.
What do you mean by dead games not beeing modded? I fail too understand as most of hte games I play modded from M2TW to CKII could be considered dead. maybe I just misunderstood.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I think its shame they paused developement of this game. The basic mechanics are actually much more advanced than in EU4 (POPS vs development for example, more variety to warfare, more engaging technology stuff etc.).

I:R is pretty good game in its current state. Just need some more meat on those bones.

• 1Like
Reactions:

I disagree with that, as games long given up by their developers are thriving due to modders. One current example is Civ 5, with the Vox Populi mod, which is light years away from vanilla, & far better than that bore Civ 6.

• 1Like
Reactions:
"Modders usually mod for games with living communities. Why waste time modding a dead game?"

What about Fallout 2? :) Released back in the 1998 when Paradox barely released its first game and till today ppl are making huge incredible mods to this game and its been 23 years since release!

• 4Like
Reactions:
"Modders usually mod for games with living communities. Why waste time modding a dead game?"

What about Fallout 2? :) Released back in the 1998 when Paradox barely released its first game and till today ppl are making huge incredible mods to this game and its been 23 years since release!
It's classic, there's probably more people playing Fallout 2 right now than I:R

Modding can save this game, it's just that there are limitations to what can be done.

Reactions:
Modding can save this game, it's just that there are limitations to what can be done.
I don't think that its limitation. This time on history is very complex. There is so many influential Nations and they weren't like nowadays which we can clearly see the nations which is less advanced than others. They were almost similar in everything. If you say that Romans had the technology to use Iron, I would say that Celtics too and even before Rome.

If they put a DLC with a Bronze age going to Rome times, including Syria, Assyrian, Babylon, Medo-Persian, Tyr and the Battle between Persians and Greek. This shoud increase the time-lapse and the history of the game a lot. Yeah I know that we have a mod like this. But I just point this to show how much content this game has. You can even go deep in a specific time of Roman Kingdom,Republic, Empire or whatever other Nation, ranging from politics,economy and warfare.

Reactions:
Honestly ridiculous if this game doesn't get resurrected at some point with all the work that's gone into it. The systems are all there, it's state of the art, just need a bit of hype...

The thing is you can't really hype something that a had a horrible first impression. It's just too hard to recover from bad first impressions. This game was DOA due to how it got review bombed right out of the gate.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The thing is you can't really hype something that a had a horrible first impression. It's just too hard to recover from bad first impressions. This game was DOA due to how it got review bombed right out of the gate.
I don't care about it. I'm playing games and first impression its not even on my priority about anything. Circumstance and purpose about why this happens is more important. People nowadays are impatient, compulsive and extremely fanatic.

I:R died because Paradox DLC politic. Just that.

Reactions:
I don't think that its limitation. This time on history is very complex. There is so many influential Nations and they weren't like nowadays which we can clearly see the nations which is less advanced than others. They were almost similar in everything. If you say that Romans had the technology to use Iron, I would say that Celtics too and even before Rome.

If they put a DLC with a Bronze age going to Rome times, including Syria, Assyrian, Babylon, Medo-Persian, Tyr and the Battle between Persians and Greek. This shoud increase the time-lapse and the history of the game a lot. Yeah I know that we have a mod like this. But I just point this to show how much content this game has. You can even go deep in a specific time of Roman Kingdom,Republic, Empire or whatever other Nation, ranging from politics,economy and warfare.

Sounds a lot like Old gods DLC for Crusaders Kings II to me. Early start looks nice on paper but in reality game gets very messy and boring when major nations does not appear and you play in weird version of antiquity world. I dont really want to play antiquity without Rome or Macedon. I find bronze age boring since we dont know that much about this period of time.

I think games like CK, EU or IR are not meant to be played for more than a couple of centuries. Going from bronze age to classical antiquity does not sounds really fun to me and suits better to games like Civilization.

I would "slightly" adjusted timeline like +100 years and that would do the trick.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Bronze age is what bring all the wars that we see Macedon against Persian, and yes there was big Nations there: Egypt, Assyrian, Syrian, Medo, Persian, even Greek and Celtic can be traced back there and just to clarify 'the fall of Babylon'...Israel is another one.

It's not boring it's just not mainstream.

Reactions: