A challenge to paradox: Make a single large scale DLC for this game before killing it forever.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sure, find me some devs and we'll get right on it!
Paradox has 662 workers and this are their profits:
AF82AF56-2BB9-4A51-B39E-CBBCF4FB7A50.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I think that China would be a fairly fitting mega DLC for Inperator as it stands currently.

This is the period in which the Qin made China a thing. Unlike CKIII'S dynastic focus the core gameplay loop fits quite well for China in the period (hell there's even a mod for it already). And China would also justify focus on trade, diplomacy, subject interactions and barbarians- the Indian Ocean trade was a major thing overlooked (as a Mosylon fan I'd love to be able to be the entrepreneur between east and west that they were historically but diplo range prevents the existing trade from happening...). A map expansion would lean in to rebranding as a new game, and of course tapping into the China market.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Are you using the hourly average players count?
There are 10s of thousands of people playing everyday if we use this meter, most people play 1-2 hour everyday and then they quit.

10 people working on imperator dlcs full time are a lot of people, too many.
As said in my message, I used the peak users during the last 7 days, and according to steamdb.info that was a bit above 1500 people. It is true that this number cannot be extrapolated to how many people play the game, but it is also true that we cannot extrapolate to the number of people that would buy this new DLC. Probably, the closer we would have to an accurate number is knowing the amount of people that have the last DLC.

Also, 10 people can be a lot or very little. It all depends on the scope of the DLC. If it is content that does not need to touch upon any underlying mechanic, then probably 2-3 content designers, 1 programmer, 1 artist, 1 'manager' could be enough. But if you want to start touching on how things operate behind scenes then you might need to increase the number of programmers and add a bit of dedicated QA.

Reactions:
Imagine two more DLCs for Imperator. One focuses on the tribes and the other on the Republics with cursus honorum and stuff. While improving the base game with fixing and improving some stuff regarding characters, families, diplomacy, trade, subjects and more with the free patch. This time more people than 7 or 8k would come after the patches and this time they'd stay because there would be content to play with that differentiate the tags and governments you play. One year. Such a pity.

Elementary level picture to reflect the decision they've made:

Vazge%C3%A7mek.jpg

• 3Haha
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Imagine two more DLCs for Imperator. One focuses on the tribes and the other on the Republics with cursus honorum and stuff. While improving the base game with fixing and improving some stuff regarding characters, families, diplomacy, trade, subjects and more with the free patch. This time more people than 7 or 8k would come after the patches and this time they'd stay because there would be content to play with that differentiate the tags and governments you play. One year. Such a pity.

Vazge%C3%A7mek.jpg
You can not predict the future. You can not guarantee that there's going to be 7-8k new players, and even less how that would translate to DLCs sold. Unfortunately, when is money what matters, your imagination stops mattering.

• 1Like
Reactions:

Vazge%C3%A7mek.jpg

I like the game but this is wishful thinking, there's no way a couple of DLC's increases the player-base 10 fold.

• 1Like
Reactions:
You can not predict the future. You can not guarantee that there's going to be 7-8k new players, and even less how that would translate to DLCs sold. Unfortunately, when is money what matters, your imagination stops mattering.
I like the game but this is wishful thinking, there's no way a couple of DLC's increases the player-base 10 fold.
I said so from the fact that after 2.0 there were 5 to 7k players playing the game and they stayed for weeks too. So after one DLC upon that foundation that even more gameplay related than wonders, it's not imagination that there would be 10k players playing the game and staying even more because of the content increase and more differentiating between tags.

Reactions:
At least EU: Rome got Vae Victus, which was one of the best PDX's expansions of that time in terms of exponentially improving and expanding the base game. Honestly, that is probably what Imperator development needed, Doomdark at the helm initially.

Reactions:
and

• 1Like
Reactions:
and
Sorry for deleting my post. I literally missed the very next thread and felt ashamed for asking something as dumb.

Thanks for the answer tho!

Future content must first focus on the identity of Imperator as a civilisation builder, where you get to take a tribe or city and build the sort of empire from it that you want to build, considering its geographical foundation and the impact that will bring.

This needs to involve making big decisions about the sort of empire you'll be as the game goes on, and perhaps entering different stages of growth.

I would not expand the map or even the timeline until the core gameplay loop is excellent, and it is already on the way there. Wonder building was a great start, but there is a long way to go.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I dunno, I think that mechanic changes, while welcome, won't be enough to revive the game from hiatus. Packaging them with something big like an eastern expansion makes more financial sense if the game was to be revisited at all. Otherwise I'd expect a reboot sometime in the distant future if anything at all, maybe a legacy patch like Victoria II.