Can't send ships into Terra Incognita even when led by an Explorer

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

DarknessKicker

Corporal
2 Badges
Mar 1, 2021
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines
Hi all,

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I googled and couldn't find a solution that worked. I've been trying to send ships into Terra Incognita in order to find new land and establish colonies. However, the ships are consistently lost when they enter Terra Incognita. Everything I see when I google says that having an Explorer heading the fleet should fix this problem. However, even when I recruit an Explorer, make it the leader of a ship, and just send the single ship, the ship is still lost. I'm a bit fuzzy on how to make an Explorer lead a fleet as opposed to a single ship. Does anyone know what's going on here?

Hi all,

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I googled and couldn't find a solution that worked. I've been trying to send ships into Terra Incognita in order to find new land and establish colonies. However, the ships are consistently lost when they enter Terra Incognita. Everything I see when I google says that having an Explorer heading the fleet should fix this problem. However, even when I recruit an Explorer, make it the leader of a ship, and just send the single ship, the ship is still lost. I'm a bit fuzzy on how to make an Explorer lead a fleet as opposed to a single ship. Does anyone know what's going on here?
Moving explorer lead navies into TI was the system for ages but a few years ago they changed it to you needing do exploration missions which can only be activated when in a port

• 1Like
Reactions:
Is there maybe something I don't know about how to make fleets correctly? I'm attaching two ships to one other ship, so that the three all move together, and the ship that I'm attaching the other ships to has an explorer leading it. Is this the correct way to have an explorer leading a fleet of three ships?

You need 3 ships which are heavy or light in any combination (I recommend 3 lights), the fleet to be lead by an explorer, in port and TI sea tiles in range. You can the select an exploration mission by clicking on the spyglass button in the mission selection window which is a button different from the trade protection mission button.

By the way, if exploration missions are available and the four requirements are satisfied, you should get a green notification with a spyglass on it.

You need 3 ships which are heavy or light in any combination (I recommend 3 lights), the fleet to be lead by an explorer, in port and TI sea tiles in range. You can the select an exploration mission by clicking on the spyglass button in the mission selection window which is a button different from the trade protection mission button.

By the way, if exploration missions are available and the four requirements are satisfied, you should get a green notification with a spyglass on it.
I have three ships, a mix of heavy and light, led by an explorer. The fleet is in port in Arta (I'm playing the Ottomans), and there's Terra Incognita just west of Spain and Portugal. My colonial range is 863. There is no spyglass button in the mission selection window. Here is a screenshot of what I see in the mission selection window.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 9.32.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 9.32.10 AM.png
    625,6 KB · Views: 0
I have three ships, a mix of heavy and light, led by an explorer. The fleet is in port in Arta (I'm playing the Ottomans), and there's Terra Incognita just west of Spain and Portugal. My colonial range is 863. There is no spyglass button in the mission selection window. Here is a screenshot of what I see in the mission selection window.
That navy only has 1 heavy ship when u need 3 but should still be a button I think. You got all DLC because cant remember if it differs with some missing

Do you have the el dorado expansion or not? The exploration missions are only available with el dorado.

Without el dorado, your fleets suffer attrition when exploring and might sink if they are away from a port for too long or are not fully repaired. It is best to only send light ships(I think 1 is enough), because they are faster. You can get fleet basing rights from countries close to the areas which you want to explore, so that your ships don't suffer attrition all the way. With fleet basing rights, you can also send your fleets to a port of that country and repair them there. Make sure that your maintenance is on full and that all ships are 100% repaired when you send them out.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Do you have the el dorado expansion or not? The exploration missions are only available with el dorado.

Without el dorado, your fleets suffer attrition when exploring and might sink if they are away from a port for too long or are not fully repaired. It is best to only send light ships(I think 1 is enough), because they are faster. You can get fleet basing rights from countries close to the areas which you want to explore, so that your ships don't suffer attrition all the way. With fleet basing rights, you can also send your fleets to a port of that country and repair them there. Make sure that your maintenance is on full and that all ships are 100% repaired when you send them out.
I don't have the El Dorado expansion. I've tried sending a single light ship, but they get lost as soon as they reach Terra Incognita, even with an explorer leading them. My maintenance is on full, and all ships are 100% repaired when I send them out. I'll try the thing with the fleet basing rights--I'm allied with Spain and just got fleet basing rights from them. Thanks!

Last edited:
I don't have the El Dorado expansion. I've tried sending a single light ship, but they get lost as soon as they reach Terra Incognita, even with an explorer leading them. My maintenance is on full, and all ships are 100% repaired when I send them out. I'll try the thing with the fleet basing rights--I'm allied with Spain and just got fleet basing rights from them. Thanks!
yea you need fleet bashing rights from the Sahel countries or to colonise the West-african provinces yourself for less attrition

I've attached two other ships to that ship. Is that not the correct way to make a navy? I don't have the El Dorado DLC--I just checked.
You need to group them - not attach them. Group them like you group an army with regiments.

Ships who are out of supply range take attrition. So you can only go for a certain distance from your provinces.

Check tooltip for sea tile too see which tiles give attrition.

You need to get the ship back to one of your provinces harbour to fix attrition or the ship will sink.

PS Your ship can take some attrition but you need to get it back to harbour before its sinks. Check reinforcements (same as for an regiment reinformcement tooltip) for how long you have.

You need to group them - not attach them. Group them like you group an army with regiments.

Ships who are out of supply range take attrition. So you can only go for a certain distance from your provinces.

Check tooltip for sea tile too see which tiles give attrition.

You need to get the ship back to one of your provinces harbour to fix attrition or the ship will sink.

PS Your ship can take some attrition but you need to get it back to harbour before its sinks. Check reinforcements (same as for an regiment reinformcement tooltip) for how long you have.
I wasn't grouping my armies into regiments--I was just attaching them. I've grouped them and my exploration fleets now.

I now hove two fleets headed by explorers on their way to Spain. I'll send them into Terra Incognita from there.

another thing to keep in mind is that with some countries you can get explorers without having exploration ideas - when that happens you can only explore along the coasts, you can't explore into the deep sea.

Since you're playing as the Ottomans, it's not a very good idea to explore from the Mediterranean anyway. Due to the way trade works, much of the income from New World colonies will get stuck in Genoa or the English Channel. To get wealth into Constantinople, you should focus on colonizing the Indian Ocean and Indonesia and secure a land connection through Persia or Arabia. With that setup in mind, it makes much more sense to build exploring ships from a port on the Red Sea or Gulf of Persia.
India, Persia and Indonesia are very rich in general, and East Africa provides some nice resources as well like large amounts of Ivory and Gold.

Reactions:
Since you're playing as the Ottomans, it's not a very good idea to explore from the Mediterranean anyway. Due to the way trade works, much of the income from New World colonies will get stuck in Genoa or the English Channel. To get wealth into Constantinople, you should focus on colonizing the Indian Ocean and Indonesia and secure a land connection through Persia or Arabia. With that setup in mind, it makes much more sense to build exploring ships from a port on the Red Sea or Gulf of Persia.
India, Persia and Indonesia are very rich in general, and East Africa provides some nice resources as well like large amounts of Ivory and Gold.
Oh, interesting! Thank you. I hadn't thought of that. I'm not sure it's possible with the territories I currently hold, though. I'd have to pretty much completely conquer the Mamluks to get to the point where the Suez Canal is in modern real life. Here's a screenshot.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 2.24.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 2.24.25 PM.png
    3,5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited: