• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad123

General
1 Badges
Feb 7, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
Why i have fear? because PDX no longer is the company i love, need only soon her soonest outed game.
1)I:R = a total falliture, a real flop of her new IP...
2)Hoi4: Over semplified, unblanced and much feature can work perfectly in the old Hoi are removed for new wrong feature (the new peace system is hate not only from player, but by the dev)
3) Ck3: is much played, but the less of ship remove the few strategy via sea maked in ck2
More or less al new games are over semplified, for child/kids...
This is my fear: Have a Vic3... can are over semplified can i back to play vic2, but for the feature/other bad thing...because PDX in the last time have done very bad...

• 4Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I do agree, IR is a mess and the direction the game is taking is wrong imo, (why do they not focus on combat and military in a game that features Hannibal, Scipio and ceasar himself?)
Hoi4 is streamlined, simplified? However it is undeniably an improvement over hoi3. The missing features beeing added 4 years after launch as dlc leave a sour taste tho.
Ck3 has been the best launch by pdx so far. I do have criticisms but they can be easily addressed. I dont see any issues there.
Regarding Vic3 the question is, do we get a soft reboot like with ck3? Bad features are cut and the game is condenced to its good features? Or do we get a spiritual successor like IR?
My obvious favorite is a soft reboot. If we get everything good about vic2 in 2021 graphics I will be happy. If the devs try to reinvent the wheel by cramping concepts and ideas that don't fit the game(mana) I won't be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions:
The fear is this: that they reinvent great functions, which are not already at their peak to "try" something new. On hoi4 they have already shown what happens if you "try" too many new features ... and after almost 5 years there are still serious problems (many present since D1). If I want Victoria 3, I want a game that makes me have fun managing my economy, that makes me have the state-owned industries that if they make a turnover of 100k of money every day I want them in my coffers and not generic capitalists when I built those industries (for example). Just as I don't want too much RNG system, dice are okay, but not if a lucky / unlucky roll can overturn a battle ...

• 5Like
Reactions:
I'm sure they will just combine all the best features of their existing games

- province development from EU4
- bloodlines and secret societies from CK3
- trade system from I:R
- federations from Stellaris

Have fun!

• 16Haha
Reactions:
Well, HOI3 had supply line issues, so they removed supply lines from HOI4. Doesn't matter that you're fighting on the opposite side of a trackless wasteland or a nearly impassible mountain range from your sources of supply, as long as the province you're in supports the number of units you have in it. Logistics is one of the most important aspects of warfare, and it's trivialized in the latest game. Victoria 2 had monetary issues in the late game, so will they remove money this time around? Any realistic depiction of Colonization has the potential to draw major criticism from "politically correct" SJWs, so will they remove colonization? AT this point, I'm just hoping that V3 isn't designed as a simplistic phone game and then badly ported to PC.

Press the big "I Win" button. If you do not understand how to press the "I Win" button, a tutorial video showing how to press the button will appear after 30 seconds. Have fun.

• 13Like
Reactions:
Well, HOI3 had supply line issues, so they removed supply lines from HOI4. Doesn't matter that you're fighting on the opposite side of a trackless wasteland or a nearly impassible mountain range from your sources of supply, as long as the province you're in supports the number of units you have in it. Logistics is one of the most important aspects of warfare, and it's trivialized in the latest game. Victoria 2 had monetary issues in the late game, so will they remove money this time around? Any realistic depiction of Colonization has the potential to draw major criticism from "politically correct" SJWs, so will they remove colonization? AT this point, I'm just hoping that V3 isn't designed as a simplistic phone game and then badly ported to PC.

Press the big "I Win" button. If you do not understand how to press the "I Win" button, a tutorial video showing how to press the button will appear after 30 seconds. Have fun.
Why do you need to bring an imaginary foe to the conversation? If Pdx is doing decisions in game design that I disagree with (and I do), is because they think they will get money. I mean for God sake, in Stellaris you can genocide as much as you want but the game still sucks due to how the mechanics works.

• 6Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
honestly just vic 2 with better graphics and more detail/decitions/events and generally smaller provinces would allready be a hit for me even if most core mechanics stay the same

• 10Like
Reactions:
I think you are overly negative HOI IV is great as is CK 3 and Stellaris. Yes I agree I dont really like imperator havent really played it but dont like some of the setup tbh I dont have enough time to play anymore. Also just because you dont like the game doesnt mean it isnt popular or people dont like it. Stellaris and CK3 recently were top of the Strategic game charts and I agree they are some of the best games EUIV is also excellent though maybe getting on a bit.

Reactions:
Funnily enough, I am rather optimistic for Victoria III after the last two release major release.

In Imperator case, the game did everything the way it was designed. The main issue at release was that the game was centered around abstract mana and conquest, two things that the community was getting tired of after 6 years of Eu4. There's also the fact that the main comparison were done with games that had years of continuous developments giving those an enormous advantage content wise. I honestly believe that game would have been very well receive if it came out 3 years earlier. An other thing that didn't help was the lack of proper identity, something any sequel of the Victoria franchise do not suffer from.

As for Ck3 it was great release overall. I would not say that the game have been simplified, not that CK2 was hard when you understood the mechanics. Rather the game have been more accessible by using what is, without a doubt, the best UI pdx ever made. Too often people confuse complexity or obscurity with depth. As for the removal of boats, Ck2 boats were just micro-intensive transport that didn't require much consideration when you had enough to carry your armies around. Not a big loss if there are no naval battles.

One thing to note is that both games came out with a wonderful map, no major bug and good performances overall. In contrast, when Victoria II came out, crashes were frequent, fruits was the most prized commodity, the world population was about 20 times bigger than what it was during the XIX century and the world entered a permanent revolutionary state around 1900.

The shift toward more polish release, much better maps and well designed UI make me confident for Victoria III.

Last edited:
  • 18Like
Reactions:
What do we even have to lose with Vic3?
Vic2 will forever remain great, untouched and pristine.
If Vic3 ends up being bad, we just keep playing Vic2 until DLCs make it good, or until Vic4, or Vic5 or the heat death of the universe, whichever comes first.
So to me it seems to be of no use whatsoever being fearful for Vic3, we have literally nothing to lose, only to gain.

• 8Like
Reactions:
Hoi4 is streamlined, simplified? However it is undeniably an improvement over hoi3. The missing features beeing added 4 years after launch as dlc leave a sour taste tho.
Absolute truth. HOI 3 was great in terms of features IMO, but the AI simply couldn't handle it, especially the really big countries. It's one of those games I so want to love - the ultimate HOI package - but every game ends in absurdity. I booted up the game some months ago and fell in love with my run through as Japan untill I took all of India in '40 without encountering a single enemy division. Or all those times I fought a desperate defense as UK to buy USA and USSR time to get into the war only for the Soviets to fall in 2 months. If the Americans do anything at all, they park 3 divisions on Cyprus while sending the rest of their army to Australia just in case. HOI4 is simplified? Compared to HOI3 it's like playing chess with God.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
I will be happy if they give us a reskinned version of Vicky 2 with some QOL improvements as Vicky 3 and they give us a game with some actual battle mechanics for the endgame that will be the Great War. I want a game with an actual economic system.

I know that the game must be marketable and attractive for zoomers, redditors and gamers in general so it will never be the perfect game we all want because that is not what sells these days, people do not want the complex games of old...they want shiny things like ck3... and i would accept a Vicky 3 if its that way as long as it keeps the essence of the game...

• 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Old PDX games were more event and story driven, but their newer games are more like a sandbox.

The real issue is to design a world economy that doesn't spiral out of control, and then develop a sandbox AI which can somehow play the game properly with dozens of goods, pops, military and politics taken into account.

These days you can market your game through any channel and hype it through the sky, but developing a high quality sandbox Victoria game is not a trivial task.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I also dont think that PDX is the company that can create the game most people are craving for in this forums.

They arent creating simpler/dumbed down games because thats what appeals to the majority. They are because they discovered that simpler/dumbed down games are easier/cost less/demmand less creativity to produce while still appealing to the majority with just enough hype/propaganda/social media/fanboyism.

I played I;R and i did think that game is crap. But who is to say it didnt returned a good profit for the company with minimum producing cost/time/resources? Most of that game mechanics seemed to be just reused from or to other games. Like the most beautiful thing of that game to me was the detailed map... which was than used in ck3. They probably even made it to ck3 instead of I:R.

Like stated a remake of VIC2 would probably be the best thing they could make regarding game quality for the franchise fans we are, but i highly doubt it will ever be a thing.

Reactions:
I think victoria needs a global market or it doesn't really work.
why would i try and make a monopoly when there's a fake market people can just buy off of like stellaris?
I'm more interested in the Hoi 4 market.

Where you set your trade policy and gain different bonuses depending on how many resources you export to the market. It also gets more complex when you take into account puppets, satellite states and colonies where you can exploit them for cheap.

Reactions:
I'm more interested in the Hoi 4 market.

Where you set your trade policy and gain different bonuses depending on how many resources you export to the market. It also gets more complex when you take into account puppets, satellite states and colonies where you can exploit them for cheap.

Never played that game but I:R has (or had) a similar market system and for me its crap. You just end up trading the highest quantity of goods possible without any consideration of another better approach because, really, there isnt any other.

Victoria 2 its still the best economic system (as how world and countries market works, disregarding SoI's that are bugged) in any paradox tittle for me by far, and when i mean far i mean "a million light years" far.

• 5Like
Reactions:
I am a bit worried how difficult it will be to make a single warfare system to handle the great changes taking place between 1836 and 1936. So, yeah, good luck to the dev team assigned. You may well need it. :(

• 4Like
Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.