• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK3 Dev Diary #38 - Legacy Showcase

Greetings! It’s been a while since the Dev Diary about Dynasties, and we’re thinking that you might be interested in what the other Dynasty Legacies have in store. That way you have some time to plan which Legacies you’d like to play with first, and perhaps even theorycraft a bit!

As mentioned in the Dynasty Dev Diary, you have to carefully choose between using your powers as Dynast or saving up for Legacies (or strike a careful balance). Unlocking Legacies are a very long-term goal, but can radically alter the way you play the game. Because Legacies are permanent, the bonuses they convery are generally not as powerful as those you get from Lifestyles - on the other hand you can count on them for the rest of the game! And they apply to every member of your dynasty.

Depending on how you play, you’ll unlock varying amounts of Legacies each game. If you carefully plan every child’s marriage it’s possible to complete several tracks - but even so, the first one you choose is usually the one that will truly define your Dynasty, as you struggle your way to the top!

The cost of Legacies is static, and each step in a track gets progressively more expensive. The first step costs 1000 renown, and the last one costs 5000. While most tend to unlock one full track before moving on (as the bonuses get progressively more powerful) it’s a legitimate strategy to pick up some of the cheaper ones first.

Let’s briefly go through each track.

Warfare
Warfare.png

The Warfare legacies mold your Dynasty members into competent knights and powerful commanders. The ideal choice for a true warmonger, or someone who wants to stalwartly defend their rightful lands.

Personally, I find that the Warfare Legacy track does really well when playing in an area where you’re likely to get attacked, such as when playing Tribal, or in the crossroads between India and the Middle East.

The first Legacy, House of Warriors, makes every Dynasty member have additional +2 Prowess skill, as well as increasing the effectiveness of Knights by 15% for landed members. A very powerful early-game Legacy, and the only one that objectively increases your military might.

Generational Belligerence reduces the cost of going to war by 20%, primarily making conquest and third-party Claim wars easier to declare (warring for your own Claims is always cheap, but declaring wars for someone else’s is expensive). A good Legacy for those that want to grow their realm early.

Squire Traditions makes all members gain 10% more Martial lifestyle experience. You’ll see similar bonuses in other trees for other Lifestyles. All of these are generally great to have, and stack with the bonuses you get from education.

Inherited Tactics is a fantastic Legacy for winning wars, as it gives your dynasty members +5 Advantage while leading armies. As you’ll eventually experience, Advantage is the main deciding factor in wars. Having an extra +5 is truly huge, but of course - your enemies could always recruit your family members and use them as commanders against you…

Finally, the Private Army Legacy unlocks an additional slot for Men-at-Arms. This is not to be underestimated, as there are no other sources of additional Men-at-Arms slots except for increasing your tier. Additionally, it also gives you access to the ‘House Guard’ regiment - a special regiment of Heavy Infantry MaA that is free, but takes up one MaA slot and can’t have its size increased. This makes even a lowly Count of your Dynasty able to field quite a formidable force, while you as a mighty Emperor might instead opt to use the extra MaA slot for an additional unit of Armored Horsemen!

Law
Law.png

The Law legacies focus on stability and consolidation, making members of your Dynasty exceptionally good vassals and reducing the chance of revolts.

I personally enjoy using these Legacies when running a larger realm, especially one containing multiple Cultures. I usually go for it when playing a vassal in the Holy Roman Empire or the Seljuk Empire, as the subjects you have are quite diverse.

The first Legacy, Mostly Fair, increases popular opinion in your domain by 5. This is quite powerful, and even offsets the entire penalty for being the wrong culture in the same culture group. A great Legacy to have if your domain is mostly made up of other cultures or faiths.

Faithful Magistrates increases passive Control Growth by 0.2/month in your entire Domain. Getting control up after conquest or revocation is a challenge, and your Marshal can only be assigned to one County at a time. This also makes your Dynasty members excellent vassal candidates for newly conquered lands.

Power and Prosperity boosts Stewardship lifestyle experience by 10%.

Delegated Authority increases your Powerful Vassal’s opinion of you by 5, which isn’t insignificant seeing how hard they can be to please. Especially when you’re an Emperor, and simply can’t have all of your Powerful Vassals on the Council…

Finally, Home Estates increases your Domain Limit by 1, which is a fantastic bonus to have - especially if you’re not playing a line of high-stewardship characters. This means that it’s easier to preserve your domain throughout the generations.

Guile
Guile.png

The Guile Legacies are optimal for those that want to rule as dreaded tyrants, and/or murder their way to the top.

If I know that keeping my realm together peacefully isn’t an option, then this is what I’d pick. The increase in Dread gain is invaluable when starting off, especially if I need to get my plans going quickly. In Spain, for example, there’s just no time to waste in uniting the lands, so ruling through fear while removing my brothers one-by-one is a legitimately good way to play. Generally, I’d avoid picking these Legacies if I was planning to have a lot of Dynastic vassals, as some legacies can be double-edged...

The first Legacy, Ominous Reputation, increases Dread gain by 20%, a fantastic starting Legacy when you want to rule through fear throughout the generations.

Long Reach increases Hostile Scheme Success Chance by 10%, which is excellent as it applies not only to murders, but to Hook Fabrication, Abduction and all other hostile schemes too. It is a double edged sword though, if your kinsmen want to see you dead…

Natural Schemers boosts Intrigue lifestyle experience by 10%.

Venial makes Tyranny decay 20% faster, which is great in combination with Dread for quickly reorganizing your realm through revocations and retractions.

Finally, the Family Connections legacy gives each Dynasty member a major chance of avoiding one successful murder scheme targeting them. When playing as a Dreadful ruler, being murdered is really the only constant threat hanging above your head. It’s calming to know that you have at least some protection, but remember, your devious brother will have the same...

Blood
Blood.png

The Blood legacies were briefly covered in the previous Dev Diary, and remain my personal favorites. They affect the inheritance of traits, and can even make your Dynasty known for showing certain traits!

This legacy track is optimal for those wanting to play the breeding game, trying to get the best possible rulers to succeed them.

Noble Veins has two bonuses; firstly it improves the chance of inheriting good congenital traits by 30%, and then it adds 30% to the (admittedly small) chance for new good genetic traits to randomly appear. Quite a good starting Legacy, allowing you to kickstart the breeding game.

Convergent Blood increases the chance of reinforcing genetic traits by 30%. This means that the offspring of a character with the first level strength genetic trait would have that much more chance of getting the second level genetic strength trait, and so on. Naturally, this chance is still mostly dependent on both parents having the traits.

Resilient Bloodline is much like Noble Veins, but it reduces the chance of bad genetic traits appearing randomly or propagating, also by 30%.

Architected Ancestry allows you to select one of the following traits to more commonly appear among your Dynasty Members: Beauty (Tier 1), Physique (Tier 1), Intelligence (Tier 1), Fecund (50% more fertility), Giant, Dwarf, Scaly or Albino. This one is fantastic for roleplaying, as having a dynasty of, for example, Giants makes for a very interesting story. Historically there were definitely families known for sharing a specific ‘trait’, flattering or not, this legacy represents that. The chance for each newborn child to get the trait is roughly ~2%, so you’ll still have to put in some work if you want the trait to be truly common.

Octogenarians increase Life Expectancy by 5 years. Unlike a flat health boost, this also makes women able to carry children for 5 more years, and makes character portraits visually age slower.

Erudition
Erudition.png

The Erudition legacies are more powerful than they might seem at a glance, with a strong focus on piety and the clergy - but the final legacy is possibly the strongest of them all, if you keep a skilled council.

I personally enjoy the Erudition legacies when playing in the middle of a vast Feudal sphere, such as the HRE or anywhere in India, as the guests you get are much more vital to your expansion than in Clan/Tribal areas like the Middle East or Africa.

Vibrant Court increases your Court and Guest opinion by +10, and makes your Court attract better Guests. The opinion is very useful, as it makes your court less likely to scheme against you, but the true power of this legacy lies in the attraction of better guests. When choosing where to travel, Claimants and exceptionally good commanders/knights are significantly more likely to visit you, should you be within their range. If you plan to expand early using foreign Claimants, this is the legacy for you.

Ordained Rulership increases your Piety gain by 10%, providing one of the few sources of unconditional Piety increase in the game. This is obviously a great legacy if you’re aiming for creating your own Faith, or just want the Pope to love your Dynasty.

Treasured Knowledge boosts learning lifestyle experience by 10%.

True Believers give your Dynasty a +5 Clergy opinion, which will help you earn the favor of both realm priest and Head of Faith. If you’re of a faith with no Clergy, you will instead gain a +3 flat increase in opinion for characters of your faith.

Bureaucrats increase the base progress and impact from Councillor skill on Council Tasks by 10%. Yes, this means that every single Council task is 10% faster. Of course, this effect is more useful the more skilled your council is - but with the better guests attracted by Vibrant Court you’ll rarely find yourself without suitable candidates!

Glory
Glory.png

The Glory legacies are all about the name of your dynasty, and how far you can get it to travel across the known world. Prestige and opinion, fame and glory!

Naturally, this is a great track for those in need of prestige - which includes all Tribal rulers. This is not to say that the legacies aren’t useful for others, as they make it easier to arrange beneficial marriages and get the aid you need.

Desirable Match increases marriage acceptance by 30. Now, how much is that really? There are many factors that determine the acceptance of a marriage, but having an extra 30 essentially means that you’re able to marry one step above your current position (marrying the child of a Duke as a Count, for example). Now, this truly shines when combined with the Gallantry Lifestyle Tree Perk, for a total of 80 extra acceptance… Essentially a must-have for anyone planning to play an extended marriage game.

Renowned Name increases Prestige gain by 10%, providing one of the few sources of unconditional Prestige increase in the game. You can never have too much prestige, as it helps both with increasing your Level of Fame (opinion) and as a resource for declaring war!

Earning Respect boosts diplomacy lifestyle experience by 10%.

Assertive Rulers reduces the Short Reign penalty by 20%, providing a much needed boost to stability on succession.

Righteousness increases general opinion by 10, yes, that’s with everyone. A massively helpful legacy for keeping your realm faction-free! Essentially, a Dynasty with a completed Glory legacy track will have no troubles keeping even large realms together.

Kin
Kin.png

Finally, the Kin legacies are tailored for those that want a truly vast Dynasty, where members help each other and rarely quarrel.

Now, there’s no better legacy for those that want a big realm where most vassals are of your own Dynasty. Your kin will tend to be well educated, and keeping the peace is easier when you can use schemes such as Sway or Befriend (or even Seduce…) against your kin with ease. I really enjoy this legacy track when playing a polygamous faith, for example when playing as a Clan ruler in the Middle East, as then you’re motivated to keep a large dynasty regardless.

Bounteous Loins increase fertility by 10% for your entire Dynasty, this means that it’s much easier to get over the early-game ‘hump’ where you’re establishing your dynasty, as well as make your dynasty larger in the long run.

Studious Youth makes it much more likely for members of your dynasty to get good Education traits, offsetting the need for finding a high-learning guardian.

Constant Care increases spousal opinion by +10, and lowers the chance of complications during pregnancy. Again, in the long run this means that your Dynasty will grow much larger than those without these legacies.

Close Bonds gives a Dynasty opinion bonus of +5, which means that everyone in the entire dynasty likes each other much more than they already do (essentially doubling the bonus). It also provides one of the most fun bonuses of any legacy; 30% increased success chance of Personal Schemes against Dynasty Members. This means every personal scheme, from Sway to Elope. Use with care...

Graceful Aging makes it so that your Dynasty members do NOT lose prowess with age. Normally, older characters lose prowess with time, making a once-great knight easily bestable by a young upstart in personal combat. It also gives Dynasty members a chance to randomly gain skills when growing older, making the elder members of the dynasty truly wise, and very useful as commanders, knights and councillors!

---

That’s it for this Dev Diary! I hope you have fun figuring out what you want to go for first!

• 147Like
  • 84Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Judging by the countdown on the discord (currently at 11 days 10 hours), it looks like it will come out around 5pm Pacific time on the 31st.
that seems illogical considering it's scheduled to release on the 1st of September... I don't feel like they would release it a day early on the US schedule, usually releases are US-centric

• 3Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
tks! it's very good to know, I had no idea of this countdown.
But I believe it will be at GMT +1, as the calculation would be exactly at midnight on 9/1.
I haven't seen that countdown, but my guess is it's just a countdown to 9/1 and not to release. They probably don't know anything more specific about release times there than we do here. The estimate people are currently using here from the last I've heard is about 9am PST, 12PM EST as it coincides with when the Steam day shift will be coming in for the day so they'd be available if anything goes wrong.

Reactions:
"Your character suffers from 'dragon skin' - or dermatitis - and is presumed to be of demonic birth. -5 Diplomacy; more likely to be Excommunicated."
opens the dermatitis Wikipedia page
"Oh, I can see how bad dermatitis could look scaly. Maybe there are some examples further down the page... Why did I think it was a good idea to look for pictures of a skin disease in advanced condition?"

I may or may not have made that up for comic effect.
That explains why the pictures of dermatitis in advanced condition didn't look scaly.

Will there be individual bloodlines at some point after launch? I like the legacies system, but I absolutely love bloodlines, which highlight key individual rulers (great for immersion) and can be bred into your line from other families. More ways to forge a bloodline would be cool as well, e.g. the founder of a kingdom/empire should definitely get a bloodline.
I highly doubt many DLC features will be included in base CK3. Remember, it took almost seven years for Paradox to develop CK2 to the stage it was at in Holy Fury, not counting the time before initial release in 2012 (which probably bumps the total timeframe to nearly a decade). Some of that was superfluous—side content nobody cares about, reworking systems multiple times, etc—but a lot of it wasn't, and basically none can be directly ported to CK3. Effectively all of it, from design* to assets, would need to be built from scratch. It wouldn't take ten whole years to remake CK2 Complete, since a lot of the groundwork would have been done and Paradox has better tools now...but it's still not something you can squish into just a few years, let alone while developing novel features for the new game.

*Sure, there's a lot they could copy from their previous work, but it would need to be drastically altered to fit the changes made for CK3.

Well, acidic burping does bother me from time to time... you mean that's connected too?
Next you'll tell me all the autoimmune stuff is my human part rejecting my dragon part (or is it vice versa)?
Getting acid breath without acid immunity is the worst.

I swear, I wasn't trying to make this happen!

It would be interesting to have "temporary negative" legacies. If that makes any sense. Better call them "dynasty wide temporary modifiers".
Basically, one of your dynasty members commits a terrible act, which puts the entire dynasty to shame. Either he is excommunicated or committed kinslaying or high treason. Such acts would surely put a stain on all who are related to him.
OF course, these negative modifiers would not be permanent, but would last for a certain amount of time.
I've had much the same thought, oddly enough. I blame Walder Frey and how his selfishness and misdeeds twisted and maligned generations of his descendants. (Hard to say how long it'll last past his death, of course, but the House will probably recover. Unless the Others get really far south, of course.)

Surely the appropriate Game of Thrones reference for Ominous Reputation would be the house that uses the "Rains of Castamere" as their favorite song, no?
Ominous but glorious. Whereas everyone thinks the Boltons are monsters (dammit Ramsay) and the Freys are just highborn vermin.

Fun thing is that as we developed the game, I progressively lowered the fertility bonus from the Kin Legacy, as I underestimated how effective it would be. Its first iteration has 25%, and literally overpopulated the world.
This sounds hilarious and I'm sad that we didn't get a full gamedev "war story" about it.

Try noble families with over 30k members in 1400... :D yeah, that wasn't good for performance, it was fixed long ago, of course :p
That's a lot.
Alright, some quick math. Walder Frey had 29 trueborn kids. Let's assume, for the sake of easy math, that he had about an even number of trueborn sons and daughters (even though he only had seven daughters, not counting bastards). Let's also assume that the sons were just as fertile as their father, and that the daughters had half as many (14), which is close to the maximum number of kids a woman can have in her lifetime. This means that, on average, a random kid would have 21.5 kids.
The second generation would have over 620 kids of their own. These children, born to two generations of Walders and Waldas Frey, would number just over 13,400. In other words, three generations of Walder Frey wouldn't produce descendants as numerous as that.
Now granted, three generations of Walder Frey would probably take less time than the distance between whichever bookmark you picked and 1400*...but still, that's ridiculous.

*It's hard enough to calculate generation length when people have one batch of kids and that's it. It's much harder when they just keep having more kids. Walder's former heir apparent, Stevron Frey, was 65 or 66 years old when the series started and a great-grandfather (Edwyn Frey had a daughter in 290 or 291 AC), and Walder's still making new babies at that point.

I'd say Tyrell might be better for King (as Stark already has law, which in my opinion fits better and the Tyrells are also a somewhat better fit for Kin considering the Stark family is pretty small)
I'd argue that Tully would be a better choice for Kin. Their Words are "Family, Duty, Honor," after all, and most of them live live up to their words.
Various said:
Legacies, especially the Blood one, are unrealistic! You can't just will a dynasty into having certain genetic traits! etc
Many said:
Legacies are all about how people see your dynasty, and what sorts of traditions they maintain. etc
I'm not sure which is more annoying—the repetitively identical criticisms people lob at the system, or the responses that fail to understand the criticisms that aren't.
My $0.02:

All mechanics in games like this are abstractions of something. Skills are just arbitrary quantifications of how good people are at certain tasks. Traits are an attempt to qualitatively describe the whole breadth of human variety into maybe a few hundred distinct packages. (I assume there were only three digits of traits in CK2?) Laws and CK3's vassal contracts are simplified versions of the real thing, absent the annoying details so the player can focus on the big picture. Heck, even ducats are presumably an abstraction of the various forms wealth took in the Middle Ages, ranging from trade goods to coins made out of other metals.

What are Legacies abstracting? Dynastic trends. Some families tended to produce, say, strong knights. Maybe they have a valued ancestor that they try to emulate. Maybe they receive more focused training as knights because everyone knows they'll be good at it and it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. Maybe they just have access to good steel and a high-quality smith's guild. As far as both the common people and the player are concerned, it doesn't matter.
With Blood in specific, it's trying to take something in the real world (family lines which tend to have certain physical characteristics) and put it into game terms. There were and are families like this, some of them were famous aristocrats, it makes sense to incorporate it somehow. The way they did so is simple, straightforward, easy to understand, easy to play with.

And of course the Legacies—Blood included—are unrealistic. Everything in the game is an oversimplified approximation of reality. The proper question isn't "Is it realistic?", but "Is the balance of playability and verisimilitude better than any other practical option?"
And obviously this is subjective—playability, verisimilitude, and the relative importance of each are all subjective, putting them all together doesn't make it less subjective. Some people value verisimilitude very highly and are sensitive to the slightest whiff of gaminess; others are intolerant to blatant abstractions and don't care about realism anyways. And whether or not that's fine, it's inevitable.

At the end of the day, what Paradox does is not going to be dependent on the whims of any one fan, however passionate their position. They will design CK3 based on whatever plans they made during pre-production, which were in turn based on what they expected would interest the most people enough to buy and continue playing their product. For better or for worse, a fully realistic medieval history simulator sounds impressive, but the number of people who would be interested enough to buy and continue upgrading would be minimal. (And that is, of course, not getting into all the ways that that sort of program is practically impossible without some gamey abstraction.)
Paradox Interactive needs to make games to survive, and those games will be gamey. They're more realistic than anything else on the market, but they still need to survive in said market. C'est la vie.

Reactions:
I highly doubt many DLC features will be included in base CK3. Remember, it took almost seven years for Paradox to develop CK2 to the stage it was at in Holy Fury, not counting the time before initial release in 2012 (which probably bumps the total timeframe to nearly a decade). Some of that was superfluous—side content nobody cares about, reworking systems multiple times, etc—but a lot of it wasn't, and basically none can be directly ported to CK3. Effectively all of it, from design* to assets, would need to be built from scratch. It wouldn't take ten whole years to remake CK2 Complete, since a lot of the groundwork would have been done and Paradox has better tools now...but it's still not something you can squish into just a few years, let alone while developing novel features for the new game.
I did say after launch.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I highly doubt many DLC features will be included in base CK3.
Given that CK3 is basically CKII+Old Gods+Way of Life+Conclave (+possibility to play as Islam, though maybe not as shaped as Sword of Islam)+many though thankfully not all features of Holy Fury... I tend to disagree.
They're more realistic than anything else on the market
True)
and Walder's still making new babies at that point.
That's the problem) He was, like, ninety at the date?

Reactions:
If you consider the legacies not as something that the effects follow after, but as something the dynasty was known for centuries after that legacy was "picked". In other words, because starting from year XXXX, dynasty Y was known to exhibit certain traits with unusual frequency, they are known to have that Blood legacy. The legacies are an outside perspective, looking back through the ages, and thus, reversing the cause and effect is not problematic at all. Sure, some legacies might have had more direct input from the dynasty, but others may just have been effectively by chance, forming a trend that would be noticeable in the future.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I did say after launch.
Whoops! So you did. I must have missed the f and the er.

Given that CK3 is basically CKII+Old Gods+Way of Life+Conclave (+possibility to play as Islam, though maybe not as shaped as Sword of Islam)+many though thankfully not all features of Holy Fury... I tend to disagree.
If you boil each of those expansions to a couple of features that you like and ignore all the details, sure.

That's the problem) He was, like, ninety at the date?
Real-world guys have had kids later. Back in the 50's, James E. Smith had a kid at age 101. Wikipedia records seven fathers who had kids at or after the age of ninety.
And while it's hard to estimate Walder's total issue, since we don't know how many bastards he's sired, plenty of men have fathered loads of kids, with five recorded as having multiple hundreds and more than a score alleged to be between one and two hundred. If we don't count bastards, Walder Frey would barely qualify for the table.
Also, to my surprise, loads of women bore way more children than I estimated, with half a dozen well-documented and ten more less-well-documented women having more than Walder's 29 kids.

Anyways, this was just a rough estimate to determine how many consecutive generations of pure Walders and Waldas Frey it would take to match that one ridiculous game's dynasty population. It's a way of describing and understanding how ludicrous that 30k+ figure is.

P.S. Today I learned that the Zulu nation has a king. Though apparently one with slightly less influence over Zululand than Queen Elizabeth has over, say, Scotland.

Well, I believe the current one recently changed the name of the country to Eswatini.
Putting aside all else, Wikipedia indicates that the Zulu people (or at least their monarch) live in the KwaZulu-Natal province of South Africa. However, it would be incorrect to say that he's the king of the province, since he doesn't seem to hold any more power over the province as a whole than Queen Elizabeth has over...there's not a great analogy, I guess Commonwealth countries that are (politically and culturally) close with the British Isles but don't recognize her as the head of state? Are there any like that?

I called the place he is king over "Zululand" so I wouldn't need to explain all of that, because it's an awful lot of detail to explain the word choice I used in a glorified fun fact.

I guess Commonwealth countries that are (politically and culturally) close with the British Isles but don't recognize her as the head of state? Are there any like that?
Of 54 members, 38 of them do not recognize Elizabeth as the Queen. (33 are republics and 5 have different monarchs, including Eswatini/Swaziland.) I counted him as a or another king of the Zulu because of the large population, but fair enough, cultural vs. political heads of countries/nations of people, fair enough. In any case, I can appreciate the point.

Real-world guys have had kids later.
Never argued with that. I just mean that this complicates the calculation immensely)
If you boil each of those expansions to a couple of features that you like and ignore all the details, sure.
Well, given these are different games, there will always be some differences, but... erm, could you give me a short list of features introduced in Conclave, Old Gods, and Way of Life which do not have their counterpart in CKIII on release?
Consulting the wiki page for them... I'll mark CHECK what we have and REWORKED what has been substantially reworked so that asking the question whether we have it is pointless but it's not like it's ignored, also IRRELEVANT for things like "reduced X" (since CKIII has no X to reduce as numbers are calculated from scratch and code is reworked).
DLC features:
  • Non-nomadic Pagans and Zoroastrians become playable. CHECK.
  • An earlier start date is now available: January 1, 867. However there is no data for dates between 867 and 1066, so the player has to use the bookmarks to jump from 867 to 1066 start dates, and cannot start a game between those dates. CHECK.
  • Revolts now have leaders and are more dangerous. REWORKED
  • Claimant and duchy-conquest adventurers. OK, nothing found (though it doesn't even mean it's not in).
Patch features:
  • Base religious moral authority depends on holding holy sites (should make it harder to reach and hold at 100% as it is now) CHECK/REWORKED (Fervor)
    • All religions have 5 holy sites.
    • Some heresies have separately scripted holy sites, but most share holy sites with their parent religion. REWORKED (no clean notion of heresy)
  • Pagans only have Gavelkind, harsher short reign penalties, cannot demand vassals to convert, and are more susceptible to conversion from monotheistic religions. CHECK (except for maybe no conversion)
  • Pagan temples can have female holders. REWORKED (closer to Holy Fury)
  • To reform a pagan religion, you need 3 of 5 holy sites and a lot of piety. CHECK
    • Reformed pagans gain a religious head (different for each), all but Norse are church vassals like Patriarchs. REWORKED (closer to Holy Fury)
    • Reformed Norse get a Caliph-like religious leader called a Fylkir - a secular and religious head; the title will be granted to the ruler who restored the religion. REWORKED (closer to Holy Fury)
    • Reformed pagans gain holy war and Crusade CBs styled as "great holy wars" but lose subjugation CB and defensive attrition. REWORKED (closer to Holy Fury)
    • Unreformed pagan religions become heresies upon reformation. REWORKED (no clean notion of heresy anymore but hostility is likely though not confirmed)
  • You can take female rulers as captive concubine. Any child born to a concubine will have the same rights in succession as other children, but will be viewed poorly by others. Unknown but hinted at here (and, unless I misunderstand the text, reworked in CKII as well).
  • If you make a married woman your concubine it will break her marriage. Unknown but likely.
  • Restore Zoroastrianism to prominence by recreating the Persian Empire, thus retaking the religion's holy sites, and appointing a Moabadan-Moabad, and the possibility of becoming the Saoshyant - the prophesized saviour of Zoroastrianism, which is represented as a nickname and trait. Your descendants will also receive a slightly weaker version of this trait, which they will be able to keep even if they convert to another religion. Unknown as we haven't seen the details of CKIII Zoroastrianism but likely REWORKED.
  • Zoroastrians accept and encourage incest - an incestuous marriage, particularly with a close family member, will garner an opinion bonus from vassals. See divine marriage. Almost certainly CHECK, given that we have consanguinity doctrines according to DD20.
council mechanics, making it more than simply a privy council:
  • The most powerful vassals strongly desire a council seat, or will threaten a civil war. CHECK
  • The council has power to vote on changes to realm laws, declaration of wars, etc. But this power depends on the council laws, which can limit councilors' power and influence. Tribal rulers enable council laws by increasing tribal organization in order to feudalize, and nomads always have all of the council laws enabled.
    • To avoid thousand of pop-ups, council members adopt certain pre-defined stances, which will dictate how they align themselves (yea, nay or abstain) with the decisions the ruler takes
  • Under some governments, councillors cannot create or join factions except during a period of "discontent" after succession or tyranny.
  • Regencies are reworked: the regent is put as a position on the council and will vote instead of the young ruler, who doesn't have the option of going against a council vote. OK, no regencies on release, yes - but even the Conclave regencies are toothless.
Favors, as a new kind of relationship than family, friendships and rivalries CHECK/REWORKED (Hooks)

Revised education system, replacing the guardian's traits related events. REWORKED (but seemingly closer to pre-Conclave, judging by Pedagogy perk in Learning)

Laws:
  • A new set of laws (council laws) dictates what the council can and cannot vote on.
  • Crown authority is gone, having been split into constituent parts No, crown authority is making a return.
    • Enforcing realm peace is now a temporary action that requires council support, rather than a permanent law
  • Obligation laws now shift between taxes and levies, instead of defining the level of burden REWORKED (Feudal contracts)
  • New realm laws such as Status of Women CHECK

Insignificant ambitions are removed (get married, ...) and ambitions now actually alter the flow of gameplay in a significant way: become king allows a slight chance of successfully fabricating a claim on a kingdom. New ambitions include: ask for council position, build a war chest, ask liege for title, and ask for land for an unlanded son. REWORKED

Non-nomadic rulers can create a mercenary band of their own to increase their wealth. (Nomads can already do so as long as Horse Lords is enabled.) However, the band will use a percentage of a holding's levies, and mercenary captains may grow ambitious. The most common sizes will be in between the nomadic mercenaries and the smaller pre-defined mercenary companies. Unknown but was quite half-baked anyways.

Patch features:
  • More complex diplomacy system, where royal marriages create non-aggression pacts that can be re-negotiated if the arranger dies. Alliances are now stronger, but more rare, as they must be negotiated atop an existing non-aggression pact. REWORKED (seemingly alliances took part of NAP's work).
  • Combat mechanic changes, including shattered retreat over several provinces, less damage during battles, improved AI, and reinforcing armies in friendly territory. REWORKED
  • Reduction of the "positive opinion inflation" of vassals vs their liege, by cutting many important positive opinion modifiers in half. IRRELEVANT
  • During non-elective succession, primary successor inherits 50% of temporary opinion modifiers from subjects of previous holder. Unknown but mostly IRRELEVANT
  • Sounds: death sound differ depending on age, gender, and violence of reason for death. Unknown
  • New ambient sound for technology view. REWORKED/IRRELEVANT
  • Faster loading of saved games: new continue button from the lobby, and vanilla history no longer gets executed while loading a save. IRRELEVANT
  • Defensive pacts may form against large realms whose actions are seen as threatening. (Called “coalitions” and “infamy” on release, renamed in patch 2.5.2.) Mentioned to be REWORKED somewhere though I can't find the primary source.
  • Support for ^Ctrl + Left click on dynasty map mode, to breakdown realms into sub-realms. Uncertain (only confirmed for Realms not for Houses) but likely.
  • New functionality that allows to interact with province owner by right-clicking with special keys pressed. IRRELEVANT
  • Redo of law screen, that now has multiple tabs. REWORKED/IRRELEVANT
  • Malcontents now tend to gang up into fewer but more powerful factions. CHECK/REWORKED
  • Modding improvements, including among others modable era screen, new scopes and triggers. REWORKED
Way of Life (retold for simplicity):
DLC features: having focus with events, lifestyle traits and modifiers CHECK/REWORKED (Lifestyle/Lifestyle perks)

Patch features are about some specific modding thingies and thus IRRELEVANT.

So... so far we lack adventurers from Old Gods (possibly), regencies (confirmed), splitting of crown authority from Conclave (confirmed), creating your own mercenary band for Conclave (possibly), death sounds from Conclave (possibly) - and at least two of those were not very well-done in CKII, either. OK, maybe Defensive Pacts too. And all of these except for crown authority (and DPs) are really minor. Anything I missed?

Probably traits/skills.

Nice Dev diary!

All the ways to specialize your characters and focus your game are wellcome! That's why I would say that the cost of the legacies should increase while you are unlocking more! This could be similar to the costs of the traditions of stellaris.

You are doing a great job!

Of 54 members, 38 of them do not recognize Elizabeth as the Queen.
Alright, but are any close to—wait, now that this isn't just a rhetorical question I should probably Google it.
No, none of the non-Realm Commonwealth Nations seem to be geographically close to the British Isles (with the possible exception of Malta, in the Mediterranean). I don't know how politically close they are, though, nor how terrible this analogy was in the first place.

Well, given these are different games, there will always be some differences, but... erm, could you give me a short list of features introduced in Conclave, Old Gods, and Way of Life which do not have their counterpart in CKIII on release?
Consulting the wiki page for them... I'll mark CHECK what we have and REWORKED what has been substantially reworked so that asking the question whether we have it is pointless but it's not like it's ignored, also IRRELEVANT for things like "reduced X" (since CKIII has no X to reduce as numbers are calculated from scratch and code is reworked).
You seem awfully confident that you have proved that basically everything from CK2 is in CK3. However, I can't help but notice a substantial number of not just "unknowns"—not all of which you bothered to mention at the bottom of your post—as well as some "Check" and "Reworked" which seem to have pretty tenuous connections to the CK3 mechanics. All you've proved is that you have a much more flexible idea of "mechanics from CK2" than I do. Which, okay, good job.

Hype train coming to town!

Reactions: