• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 7 - Queen Regent Margarete 1554 - 1560
Queen Regent Margarete Beck knew her time as regent was going to be short, but was confident she could make up for her husband's disinterest in courtly affairs and leave a stronger realm for her son. Under the last two rulers, the various powers of the Kingdom had largely been left to their own devices so long as they did not threaten the peace of the realm. Margarete, however, had plans to exploit them.
estates.png

New territories were incorporated by default into crown lands, administered by royal officials. Although many of these officials were individually corrupt and variously autonomous, they were largely independent of one another. As a whole, the nobility, clergy and merchant classes had very little unified power in the governance of the realm. On the one hand, this was beneficial to Danish monarchs, who had little to fear from organized uprisings or demands. Margarete, on the other hand, saw them as a massive untapped resource. Only a few months into her reign, Margarete received an offer from a major noble family in Skane requesting export privileges in northern Germany, threatening the local merchants who had been running those businesses for decades.
side with merchants.png

Margarete sided with the merchants, not only protecting their businesses, but further expanding their power through monopoly charters, the expansion of the admiralty to include increasing numbers of experienced, wealthy, but otherwise lowborn seamen, and granting additional privileges to major trade hubs including York, Bergenhus, and Osel. In exchange, members of the merchant class were to forgive the Crown's debts. Overall this led to a significant increase in the influence of Burghers at court and across the country, which was both beneficial to Danish cities and trade but also carried risks if a less skilled leader allowed them to get out of hand.
merchants.png

Margarete taps the merchant class to pay off Danish debt and improve her position abroad.

Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 6.31.24 AM.png

But the merchants also took matters into their own hand. A less careful monarch might have allowed the Burghers' power to get out of hand.

Although the Reformed Church had no formal liturgical hierarchy, individual priests and missions could wield substantial influence, particularly in the more remote parts of the country. A year into her reign, Margarete toured the (still largely Catholic) Danish hinterlands to seek their support, providing royal support for their endeavors in exchange for expanded administrative support. This clerical support helped Margarete modernize Danish administration, neglected over the past few decades, and expand crown control in places like Karelia and Finland.
clergy.png

Margarete's foreign policy was more limited, but reflected a similar shrewd political approach. Most notably, she pursued relations with all Protestants, although fell short of joining the Protestant League in opposition to the Empire.
Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 6.47.03 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 9.09.35 AM.png

More controversially, she found a way both to harm Russia's ally in Ryazan as well as improve the treasury she would be leaving to her son by sending a company of mercenaries to help Burgundy, at war with several states in the Low Countries as well as Ryazan.
Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 6.44.40 AM.png

As usual, Danish forces easily defeated their Russian counterparts. Danish troops were more evenly matched against modern western armies, however, even those inferior in number, which perhaps will be a sobering lesson for Christian III [or perhaps not...]
battles.png

The mercenary expedition was still active when Christian III took the throne in his own name in February 1560. There was some opposition to his ascension, but it was minor and would almost certainly be dealt with easily.
Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 6.54.44 AM.png

What will Christian III's reign hold for Denmark? Will he be a warrior like his father? An administrator like his mother? Or will he seek other avenues to greatness?

Another really fun update. If I may suggest a next course, I’d love to see Margarete delve a bit more into domestic politics. Leading on from her attempts to intermingle the Beck family with the royal house, I’d be interested to see her make up for her late husband’s lack of care for courtly affairs. What does she think of the new ideas coming out of the new presses? And what are the noble families of Scandinavia getting up to amidst all of this war and focus on foreign affairs. Surely plenty of room for politicking, scandal and intrigue. :)
Thanks! This isn't CK2, but I hope you enjoyed all of the politicking I could muster. I actually think she did a pretty good job there :)

And he truly did! Keep it up, those wars with Russia really did strengthen Denmark's position as the regional power. Let's see what Margrete and Christian III bring to the kingdom
They did, and between Novgorod and Lithuania and TO I have a LOT of cores I could return to vassals around the Baltic, so there are a lot of opportunities to strengthen that position further. I was worried initially about the goal of crippling Moscow because I thought it might be better to leave them as a counterbalance to the Ottomans, but in the end it looks like Muscovy was a bit of a paper tiger and wouldn't have been that effective as a road block anyway.

Thanks! This isn't CK2, but I hope you enjoyed all of the politicking I could muster. I actually think she did a pretty good job there :)

Absolutely! Margarete seems to have been a very competent administrator. I wonder whether she will have any lingering influence over affairs now that her son is of age…

Christian III de Valois has grown up while seeing his father chasing the shadow of his grandfather, being blinded by hate against Russia. While he does not seek reconsolidation he seeks to hold the status quo with Russia. He is more concentrated with domestic development then gaining great pieces of foreign land in Europe. In his free time he makes plans to find the legendary Vinland (Canada/North America) and wants to bring it into danish rule. The idea of finding Vinland was sparked by his kin in france who themself started colonizing.

Can danmark start colonizing or will it stay a dream in Christians life? I am excited to see what happens next.

Chapter 8 - King Christian III, 1560 - 1569
Christian III de Valois's reign is frequently overlooked in history textbooks. He was not a warrior like his father or a politician like his mother and thus his reign lacks the classic excitement typically found in history books. Further, he died very young - only 24 - and therefore had little time to cement his legacy. But in that short time he laid the foundations for a new direction for Denmark, even if he did not live to see it through to completion.

Christian III was a capable administrator with a vision of stability and prosperity for his realm. His first order of business was to secure the his succession. The French king, as a distant cousin, had the strongest male-line claim, but Christian II's sister had married into the Polish line, and the Polish King claimed the Danish throne through her. Without an heir, Christian III's untimely death would almost certainly lead to a major war consisting of three of the strongest powers in Europe. Thus within his first year Christian married a French princess, and shortly thereafter produced a son, breaking with recent tradition to name him Erik, much to the confusion of the rest of the court.
succession.png

Christian III spent much of his reign investing in the long-term prosperity of his realm. Most notably, he sent prospectors into the Norwegian countryside in an attempt to find a domestic source of iron and copper. He also invested heavily in construction and the administration. Overall, this led to a period of prosperity and growth. The year 1560 was particularly exceptional in this regard. This economic prosperity gave Christian the flexibility to react with haste to issues like the plague of 1564, limiting its impact and allowing the realm's prosperity to continue to grow.
Prospecting the Scandes.png

In order to preserve this domestic tranquility, Christian III took a largely conciliatory approach to foreign policy, renouncing Danish claims on Polish Black Sea ports, restraining the missionary fervor that had guided the foreign policy of his grandfather, and refusing to get involved in temporal religious conflicts.
foriegn policy.png

[not pictured - Denmark, as the most powerful Protestant state in the world, remains uninvolved in the League war]

In addition to his able handing of his noble goal to promote peace and prosperity within his realm, Christian III had a secret ambition, one with the potential to radically alter the course of Danish history. While touring his realms as a child, his imagination was captured by stories of old Norse explorers such as Erik the Red and, in particular, Leif Erikson, discoverer of the legendary Vinland. While paying court to Princess Louise in France, he came across maps of Terra Nova. As had everyone in Europe by the 1560s, he had, of course, heard of Terra Nova, but there in the French court Christian seems to have been the first to make the connection between the "West Indian" colonies being founded and the mythical realms of Norse explorers. When Christian III returned to Denmark, he determined to discover Vinland and reclaim it under the Danish flag, laying the foundations for what would either be a radical shift in Danish history or a vanity project on a massive scale.

First, Christian needed to find Vinland. Then he needed to organize the infrastructure necessary for large-scale colonization. To do this, Christian promoted the printed word, and surrounded himself with learned men of all births and walks of life.
printing.png

[Christian III promotes the printing industry, as Denmark becomes a marketplace for ideas from across Europe]

Christian III's policy of inviting all capable minds to court severely alienated the hereditary nobility and clerical elites, who considered this their personal privilege, but helped him accomplish his goal to surround himself with the most able advisors and scholars in pursuit of his ambitions. Of all of the bright lowborn minds brought to court during this time, the most notable was Abel Kaas of Ostjylland.
advisors.png

Abel participated in many of Christian III's administrative reforms, but he was also the King's confidant and co-conspirator in their efforts to discover and colonize Vinland. He was also Queen Louise's lover. Christian III had seen his marriage to Louise as a matter of duty rather than a source of any kind of love or passion. Once young Erik was born, he considered that duty largely discharged, and it appears that he rarely, if ever, visited her, preferring to tour his realm, organize economic projects, and hunt for Vinland. Louise, however, was not so content to live a life devoid of passion, or, due to the fact that she was not allowed to accompany Christian on business, any stimulating activities whatsoever. Thus perhaps it should not be a huge surprise that she took a lover. It is a testament to Christian's devotion to his projects that he considered the affair little more than an unfortunate nuisance to keep hushed up. It does not even appear to have hindered his relationship with Kaas, and the two of them continued their own passion project for the rest of the decade.
Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 4.45.40 PM.png

Over the course of the 1560s, they determined that Vinland was likely in the still largely uncolonized northern portion of Terra Nova, and, through careful reading of currents and winds from Denmark, identified a likely candidate on French maps - a large island just off the coast. By 1569 Kaas and Christian III had organized an expedition and laid the foundations for the long-term expansion of Denmark that colonization would entail. On June 1, 1569, the first expedition to Vinland embarked from Copenhagen.
colonizing.png

Christian III was furious to hear reports that Holland had beaten him to the colonization of parts of the island and began making plans for war against the Dutch. These plans would never surface, however, because he died under mysterious circumstances while the voyage to Vinland was still en route, leaving his wife Louise as Queen Regent for their 7-year-old child.

Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 5.09.40 PM.png

Queen Regent Louise takes over for King Erik I, until he can come of age.

Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 5.10.03 PM.png

The Vinland colony is still en route when Christian dies.

Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 5.10.20 PM.png

Queen Regent Louise and her lover Abel Kaas are the most prominent figures in the Danish Court.

Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 5.12.03 PM.png

The Queen Regent has 8 years until her son comes of age, nearly as long as her husband ruled. How will she rule Denmark during that time? Will she continue the passion project shared by her lover and her husband? Or will she abandon their designs and leave their scheming as a curious footnote in Danish history? Will she try to involve herself in the continent? Focus on her many vassals? On the religious tension growing in Europe? Or will she strike out on her own path and forge an as of yet unforeseen future for Denmark?

Absolutely! Margarete seems to have been a very competent administrator. I wonder whether she will have any lingering influence over affairs now that her son is of age…
It seems she did. He wasn't quite the politician she was, but he certainly took after her administrative talents.

Christian III de Valois has grown up while seeing his father chasing the shadow of his grandfather, being blinded by hate against Russia. While he does not seek reconsolidation he seeks to hold the status quo with Russia. He is more concentrated with domestic development then gaining great pieces of foreign land in Europe. In his free time he makes plans to find the legendary Vinland (Canada/North America) and wants to bring it into danish rule. The idea of finding Vinland was sparked by his kin in france who themself started colonizing.

Can danmark start colonizing or will it stay a dream in Christians life? I am excited to see what happens next.
Denmark started colonizing, but that's about it. Sadly, Christian never got to see the result of his ambitions (that seems to be a trend among many of these Danish kings). The question now is, will his wife and son continue his legacy or push Denmark in another direction?

Abel Kaas is a fantastic character. Already I was going to suggest that the nobility would have a field day if he were to father a child with Louise, but for events to end with him and Louise as effective co-regents? Man, that's some incredible stuff. I'll refrain from suggesting a course the regency might take, but with these foundations I know it's sure to be really juicy.

He must have been so furious that he just died because of the hollandian colonie. I look forward to where his wife and maybe his close friend Abel Kaas are steering denmark.

I will as well refrain from the next suggestion as i already did this one seems not right to dictate more than 1 ruler in a row.

Abel Kaas is a fantastic character. Already I was going to suggest that the nobility would have a field day if he were to father a child with Louise, but for events to end with him and Louise as effective co-regents? Man, that's some incredible stuff. I'll refrain from suggesting a course the regency might take, but with these foundations I know it's sure to be really juicy.
Yup.... I was considering the ramifications of Abel fathering children and Christian not really caring, but this is definitely better. I wonder what young Erik will do with Abel after he takes the throne?

He must have been so furious that he just died because of the hollandian colonie. I look forward to where his wife and maybe his close friend Abel Kaas are steering denmark.

I will as well refrain from the next suggestion as i already did this one seems not right to dictate more than 1 ruler in a row.

Christian III: "At last! we set forth to Vinland, following in the footsteps of the treacherous but bold pagan explorers!"
Torbald von Trampe: "Um, Your Grace?"
Abel Kaas: "After 500 years of waiting men of the North will set foot on virgin soil once more!"
Torbald von Trampe: "Sir, you should really hear what I have to say"
Christian III: "This day will live on in the annals of history as Denmark's greatest hour!"
Abel Kaas: "Years of work have come down to this moment!"
Torbald von Trampe: "Sir... Your Grace...."
Christian III: "Hush! Nothing could sully this moment."
Torbald von Trampe: "YOUR GRACE! Please?"
Christian III: "What IS IT!?"
Torbald von Trampe: "The Dutch, your grace. They are already there."
Christian III: "The.... Dutch? Where?"
Torbald von Trampe: "In Vinland, Your Grace."
Christian III: "WHAT!?"
Torbald von Trampe: "They set up a colony a few months ago"
Christian III: "NOOOOOO-" [drops dead].
Abel Kaas: "YOU DUTCH SWINE! YOU GAVE US AWAY!"
Torbald von Trampe: "NO SIR! PLEASE! I'm not even Dutch, I'm Pomeranian! I....."
Abel Kaas: [storms out]

The dastardly Dutch!

Chapter 9 - Queen Regent Louise, 1569 - 1576
Most modern readers will recognize this era of Danish History from a particularly famous play in which the queen and her lover murder the king to take the crown for themselves, proceeding to drag down the realm and open it to foreign conquest, all while the King's son goes mad whilst agonizingly plotting revenge. It is worth noting, however, that while this story is perhaps slightly more plausible than that pushed by Queen Louise and Abel Kaas themselves - that the Dutch had murdered Christian III (the Dutch had, in fact, maintained quite good relationships with the Danish throughout the 16th Century prior to this point) - it was still a work of explicit propaganda, written by an English dissident and meant to make a mockery of the Danish crown. In truth, we will probably never know what killed Christian III, but whatever killed him, the reign of his Queen was epic and brutal.

Regardless of the factuality of their claims, it only took Queen Louis and Abel Kaas a few months to whip the court into an anti-Dutch frenzy. Soon the adventure to Vinland, which had been the private mad dream of a few close confidants of the king, soon became a rush of emigrants and a full-on jingoistic rallying cry. On June 25, 1570, Queen Louise declared war on Holland.
first war.png

Her kin in France honored their alliance and joined the war, as did the Poles in September. The Swiss confederation, Trier, and Burgundy rallied to the defense of their dutch allies, while Spain, England, and several smaller German states and Ferrara honored their obligations to the Emperor in Vienna, who vowed to protect Imperial borders against this threat from north, east, and west.
war.png

The state of the war on September 7, 1570, after all major participants had declared for one side or the other. Not shown: What was likely Denmark's saving grace, Spain was fighting a crusade in Tunis, defended by the Turks. Thus Spain and Austria began the war somewhat distracted, allowing the Danish alliance some early room to maneuver.

Although it was their machinations and fervor that pressed the country to war, Abel Kaas and Queen Louise did not lead it themselves, other than to insist that a contingent of soldiers be sent to the New World to guard the Danish colony and occupy the Dutch portion of Vinland. Instead, that task fell to Sten Hard, Martial of Denmark. Sten recognized that in addition to a pure numerical deficit, the Danish alliance faced a force concentration problem, as numerous German fortresses separated the allies prevented cooperation and multiple fronts (such as in England and across the Pyrenees) forced Allied forces to disperse. To remedy this, Hard ordered Danish forces to take the offensive along two axes - First, Harald Brockenhuus marched into the Low Countries to seize Dutch forts and open a road to France. Meanwhile, Christian Ebbesen was sent to England with 12,000 soldiers and funds to recruit another 5,000 locally in order to knock England out of the war as quickly as possible. The first major engagement of the war took place outside Darby Castle on April 15, 1571, making Darby the site of the decisive battle of the third English-Danish war in a row. Only six months later, on November 1, London fell to Ebbesen's army knocking the English out of the war. On the same day, the Dutch fortress at Den Haag fell to Brockenhuus, clearing the last obstacle impeding Danish forces from linking up with their French allies.

First phase.png

Freeing up these Danish armies to move into France happened none too soon. The west German states of the Imperial alliance had focused their efforts on invading France. Imperial forces had made rapid headway in Northeastern France and by November 1571 an Imperial army had besieged Paris.
Danish advances.png

[Danish advances in the first 15 months of war. By this time all three Danish thrusts had achieved their initial objectives]

Ebbesen's army was embarking for France from Norfolk, as a third army under Karl Arenstorff arrived from the Russian frontier, tasked with putting pressure on the eastern side of Imperial territory. Meanwhile, Brockenhuus took the initiative and advantage of a mild winter to sweep south through Flanders and into France, defeating a Burgundian army at Valois before it had a chance to link up with the army besieging Paris, then joining with French reinforcements to crush a portion of the besieging army before it could escape.
early battles.png

Brockenhuus and his French allies pursued the retreating Imperials, joined by the French and the newly-disembarked Ebbesen, as Arenstorff blocked their lines of retreat into Germany. The Imperial armies were crushed and within only a few months the Allies had entirely reversed the tide of the war in France, pressing all the way to the Rhine and beyond. But the unmitigated Danish success was about to end, and the war was about to move into its second phase, replacing the war of maneuver with a war of attrition. The Spanish, after nearly two years of distraction in North Africa, arrived in Gascony in force. Austria, meanwhile, had, in anticipation of imminent peace with the Ottomans, had disengaged from that war and advanced into Poland.
pushing into Germany.png

Hard's plan for the second phase of the war was for Poland and Denmark to link up and drive Austria out of Poland and then push into the Empire while France drove the Spanish back across the Pyrenees. Unfortunately, his compatriots in those countries had other ideas. Drunk on victory, both realm's leaders pressed their armies into western Germany, allowing the Spanish to seize important border forts and the Austrians to capture several Polish castles. With his allies unwilling to cooperate, Hard was forced to press for an end to the war as quickly as possible, first encouraging Queen Louise to make peace with secondary participants in the war in exchange for indemnities to keep the armies paid, and second by driving deep into Germany to engage the Austrians directly.

In December 1472, an Allied army defeated an Imperial force at Oberlausitz, ending any hope of an Austrian counterattack and convincing most of the west German states, as well as Switzerland, to bow out of the war. This victory was followed in February by the Battle of Wismar, halting a desperate Austrian gambit to seize Denmark and snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. These were the last major engagements of the Eastern theater.
eastern battles.png

These victories were not enough to keep the coalition together, however. A few months later, Poland dropped out of the war, leaving a grudge match of the Great Powers Austria and Spain vs. Denmark and France.
Poland.png

With the Austrian army largely neutralized, Hard redirected Arenstorff's army from Switzerland to Southern France. The French had just won a decisive victory at Roussilon leaving southern France clear of Spanish forces except the garrison at Larbourd. His objective was to support the French in retaking the fortress, securing the Pyrenees and preventing Spanish incursions into France. This expedition was supported by Admiral Sigrun Lillienskjold who was to blockade Larbourd and prevent Spanish transports from moving soldiers behind French lines. Arenstorff would later be reinforced by additional soldiers under Tobias Beilke, redeploying from Poland. Unfortunately for Arenstorff, the French ignored Larbourd, preferring to move against Spanish assets in Italy. In quick succession the Spanish engaged and defeated Lillienskjold's fleet, then snuck an army into Gascony, surprising and utterly destroying Arenstorff's army. Only a handful of stragglers, including Arenstorff himself, returned to Denmark, with the rest being killed, wounded, or captured by the Spanish. Following this defeat, Beilke's army was redirected to Italy in an effort to knock Ferrara out of the war and attack weaker Spanish forces in Italy.
defeat.png

Fortunately for the Danes, Lillienskjold had managed to escape with at least a portion of his force intact, allowing him to repell an attempted Spanish counterattack by sea.
naval battle.png

Another year of siege warfare followed as the French rallied for a final defense of the Pyrenees and Denmark occupied most of Austria and northern Italy. in the fall of 1574 Austria finally recognized the inevitable and accepted the humiliation of having been unable to defend the Empire from an external threat. Nine months later, Spain also bowed out of the war, accepting the status quo ante bellum.
great powers.png

With both of her great power protectors now out of the war, Holland accepted a 'punishing' peace to the satisfaction of Louise and Kaas. In the Treaty of Amsterdam, Holland ceded Vinland to Denmark and several majority-Reformed provinces to Denmark's protectorate East Frisia. This peace cut mainland Holland in half both geographically and in overall size. They were also to pay a large war indemnity as well as ongoing reparations.
peace.png

To Queen Louis's annoyance, East Frisia succumbed to Imperial pressure and released the county of Friesland as an independent county, returning it to the Empire. Thus Friesland became the only Reformed realm of any size in Europe not under Danish protection. In short order it was invaded by its neighbors. In better news, however, Holland's punishment continued as Flemish forces took advantage of its newly weakened state and lack of allies to take its own bite from Dutch lands.
aftermath.png

Combatants suffered half a million casualties not to mention major loss of money and material [I should have taken a screenshot of the devastation map mode!]. War, it seems, was growing more brutal. Surely this would be the end of conflict in Europe? But maybe not. A new war of even greater magnitude was already brewing in Germany:
league.png

European states square off over religious differences.

Back in Denmark tensions were also brewing. Once they had whipped up fury for their colonial adventure and associated war, Louise and Kaas took a largely hand-off approach to governance, delegating more power to local lords and allowing religious doctrine to slip, further alienating the clergy.
hands off.png

Even more critical, their affair was now open and explicit. Further, with the war dragging on, Martial Sten Hard and Chief Diplomat Torbald von Trampe were growing increasingly powerful and increasingly willing to push back against the authority of the queen and her lover. Their case was made easier as mismanagement and neglect were driving the Danish economy to ruin - by 1576 only the massive war indemnities paid by the defeated parties kept the danish economy afloat, being responsible for over 15% of money entering the Danish treasury from all sources. Overall, this created a fractious court environment, eroding the legitimacy of the ruling couple and creating openings for new powers to emerge. Most notably among them was an economic reformer named Peder Oxe, who rose to prominence in the aftermath of the Dano-Dutch War.
Oxe.png

Oxe was backed by both Hard and von Trampe, who began pressuring the Queen to remove Kaas and replace him with their compatriot. Events came to a head when a rumor began circulating that Queen Louise meant to bypass Erik in favor of his younger brother Frederik. Although the boys had grown up together and were quite close, Frederik was widely suspected to be the bastard son of Louise and Abel Kaas, a rumor Erik vehemently denied, at least as a child. When Erik was moved out of Copenhagen and into to one of his mother's country estates shortly before his 15th birthday, however, it shattered the fault lines in the court. On November 1, 1576, Erik I came of age. On that day, on Sten Hard's orders and backed by von Trampe and Oxe, Admiral Lillienskjold led sailors from the 5th fleet to the palace to seize the Queen and place her under house arrest. Meanwhile, General Brockenhuus led 14,000 troops to secure Erik and declare him king. Unwilling to threaten a direct peer with his coup (and thus setting precedent for his own removal), and hoping to maintain the legitimacy of his actions, Hard refrained from also arresting Abel Kaas, hoping instead that Erik would have him replaced in short order. This caution angered Oxe and weakened the pro-Erik coalition at court.
coup.png

Here is the situation in Denmark and at court following the declaration of Erik I as King of Denmark:

The Danish Court. [I am going to edit the save file to change Frederik's claim to reflect his ambiguous parentage in this story.]. Note Brockenhuus's 1st Army moving to engage the Queen's supporters in Jutland.
court.png

The Danish military
army.png

The Danish economy. Note the reliance on war reparations.
economy.png

The known world. After five years of bloody conflict, Denmark is unopposed in the norther New World and dominant in northern Europe.
known world.png

What will Erik I's reign mean for Denmark? What will he do with Abel Kaas? And with his brother and his mother? And once he deals with internal chaos, how will he greet the rest of Europe? Will he continue his father's dream of colonization? Will he choose to meddle in Imperial politics press for a Protestant Empire? Will he renew his grandfather's crusades against Russia? Or try to reclaim the lands of his protectorates in Lithuania, Prussia, and Ireland? Will he eschew bloodshed in favor of trade and science? Or something else entirely?

The dastardly Dutch!
The Dutch have paid for their crimes. As has the rest of Europe, after that war.

Louise continues the pursuit of her husband's and lover's dream while also looking for every and any opportunity to harm the Dutch.
Thanks for joining in!

Absolutely madness. And now we have the prince stepping onto centre stage. Surely you just have to play him as Hamlet? There’s never gunna be a better opportunity. :D

Erik the First should focus on improving the Danish economy and, like his ancestors, on colonizing the New World.He will not wage any major wars, unless they are beneficial for the Danish economy. He will also try spreading his religion far and wide throughout Europe and beyond.

Surely you just have to play him as Hamlet? There’s never gunna be a better opportunity. :D
Erik the First should focus on improving the Danish economy and, like his ancestors, on colonizing the New World.He will not wage any major wars, unless they are beneficial for the Danish economy. He will also try spreading his religion far and wide throughout Europe and beyond.
So I had (barely) started playing with Erik as Hamlet, but given how introspective Hamlet is, I was having some trouble deciding how to deal with external issues (I'm sure if Hamlet were to go to war would waffle a lot and then suddenly and rashly attack someone... but what would make him consider going to war? I'm really not sure). So I'm going to use both of these (hope that's ok with you both!) and have @DensleyBlair's suggestion represent Erik's character and @TheStrategicMonster's suggestion represent Erik's overall goals, and particularly his foreign policy goals.

So I had (barely) started playing with Erik as Hamlet, but given how introspective Hamlet is, I was having some trouble deciding how to deal with external issues (I'm sure if Hamlet were to go to war would waffle a lot and then suddenly and rashly attack someone... but what would make him consider going to war? I'm really not sure). So I'm going to use both of these (hope that's ok with you both!) and have @DensleyBlair's suggestion represent Erik's character and @TheStrategicMonster's suggestion represent Erik's overall goals, and particularly his foreign policy goals.
That's okay with me!

Chapter 10 - King Erik I, 1576 - 1591
Erik I, King of Denmark, came to the throne amidst a coup perpetrated by several chief advisors at court and their supporters. Forces loyal to his mother were quickly stamped out and she faded into obscurity for the remainder of Erik's reign.
1. rebellion crushed.png

Erik I's reign was preoccupied with three main goals - supporting his faith abroad, growing the Danish economy, and, most importantly, dealing with the roving powers of his court. In particular, his de-facto stepfather, Abel Kaas. Erik had ridden into power on the machinations of Kaas's enemies at court, who claimed Kaas had been trying to kidnap Erik and place Frederik on the throne in his place. Unfortunately, despite being a controversial figure within Denmark, Abel Kaas was highly admired throughout the world, and Erik feared long-term repercussions for his removal. In particular, it is likely that removing Kaas would simply have meant that he took employment in another court, potentially drawing foreign support for Louise's faction. Further, Erik seems to have had reservations about using the affair to condemn Kaas to death for treason, since such an act would have further delegitimized his brother Frederik, something he was not yet willing to do.
intruigue 2.png

Erik's indecision created a power vacuum at court, and for the first three years of Erik's reign almost nothing got done that could not be accomplished by a single individual. For example, when Erik suggested protecting the Republic of Friesland, the only independent majority-reformed state in the Holy Roman Empire, from its neighbors in Utrecht, Sten Hard secretly passed an order to General Arenstorff, still stationed in the Low Countries, to execute said support. Arenstorff backed Friesland in exchange for submitting to Danish protection after the war, and quickly defeated Utrecht. The situation was then presented at court as a fait accompli.

Dutch war.png

During this time most tasks were simply left undone. This alienated both the nobility and the merchant classes even as it allowed them to expand their own influence at the expense of the crown. It also weakened the army and created economic problems that would have serious repercussions in the not-too-distant future.

negligent.png

Most significantly, however, was Denmark's inability and unwillingness to execute war with Russia. In September 1579, Poland declared war on Russia [editor's note - fall is the best time to invade Russia, as everyone knows] and asked their ally Denmark to join. Erik accepted the call to arms, issuing a declaration of war on Russia, and proceeded to refuse to issue any orders to his generals. He did not want to go to war with Russia for Polish gain, even as his advisors urged him that Russia held land that could easily be given to Danish protectorates in Novgorod and Lithuania. The conflict at court came to a head when Hard attempted to issue orders to General Ebbesen in Estonia to march to the relief of a Danish fort in Finland. Denmark's forts along this border (and, indeed, along most of their borders) were outdated and Hard feared that should it fall, the Scandinavian heartland would be exposed to Russian raids. Erik, in a pique of fury, had his entire council executed, replacing Hard, von Trampe, and Kaas with new ministers from outside court. The scientist Tycho Brahe was placed in charge of developing Denmark, and Copenhagen's mayor Markus Hess was placed in charge of Denmark's navy and trade. Most controversially, Erik gave Hard's job to a Russian from Novgorod, Konstantin Lykov. Lykov was a self-made man and a favorite of Erik's, but he too, would soon be forced out of his position (in a less violent way than his predecessor) when he tried to press Erik to support Novgorod in the war against Russia.

court.png

The war with Russia ended approximately 5 years after it began, without any Danish participation. Despite this, the Polish pressed Russia to cede large tracts of land to Novgorod in order to weaken their rival. Thus Denmark got to have their cake and eat it, too.

russian war 2.png

With the court secure and in Erik's pocket, and without distraction from the war, Erik began pushing economic reform and expanding his sphere of protection for Reformed neighbors, first allying the newly-converted Hessian prince and marrying the prince's sister, and second bringing Riga into the Danish sphere of protection.

alliances.png

[Sorry, I forgot a picture of the alliance with Hesse, but I got the marriage that went along with it]

Second, Erik expanded economic programs throughout Denmark. He ended a law from the era of Christian II, which focused on integrating the diverse cultures of Danish lands into a coherent, tax-paying empire, and instead focused that administrative energy on efficient tax collection from Denmark's many protectorates. Further, he promoted urbanization, funded the Grand Banks fisheries, and reopened the metals prospecting efforts of his father.

economy.png

Unfortunately, this was not enough. When war reparations from Louis's war expired, the Danish economy was still underwater.
economic failure.png

[Apologies for this next part... It's pretty silly and doesn't work as well as I'd hoped, but I'm doing it anyway because "dead for a ducat!" was definitely what I was thinking when I pressed the 'declare war' button on this one...]

Markus Hess: Why, how now, Erik!
King Erik: What's the matter now?
Hess: Have you forgot we have no gold?
Erik: No, by the rood, not so:
The Germans have stopped paying;
And--would it were not so!—we have no gold.
Hess: Nay, then, I'll set those to you and make them give us more.
Erik: Come, come, and sit you down; they shall not budge;
They go not till I set them up a force
Where they may see the inmost right of it.
Hess: What wilt thou do? thou wilt not destroy them?
War?, War, now?!
Barclay Douglas: What, war?! Now? My Liege!
Erik: [Drawing] How now! They are rats! Dead, for a ducat, dead!
Douglas: It will be done! [exits]
Hess: O me, what hast thou done?

german war 1.png

After only 10 years, Denmark was back at war with the Empire and her Spanish allies, but this time without French support and without Spain fighting a distraction war in North Africa. That said, the overall trajectory of this war was fairly similar to the last - Denmark moved into the Low Countries and then swung its armies around into northern Austria, systematically removing small allies from the war, forcing them to pay war indemnities, and, where possible, 'encouraging' their rulers to convert. From letters written to his Hessian wife, it appears Erik was hoping to convert Flanders, leader of the Protestant League, in order to press for a reformed Empire, but this turned out to be impossible. It is likely that a victory on the scale of that achieved a decade prior would have been impossible, but through concentration of force and Danish generals' vast experience with offensive siege warfare, Danish troops were able to seize key fortresses and enforce peace.

battles.png

The war featured larger and bloodier battles, but it was ultimately Denmark's superior siege warfare that decided the war, forcing numerous smaller states to bow out of the conflict and finally, facing the near complete occupation of his home territory, the Emperor began to press for peace.

german war 4.png

Erik's reign came to an end in June of 1591. He came down with a fever while touring England, and his brother Frederik, parentage still uncertain, took the throne. Denmark has proven its mettle as a Great Power in Europe, but its military is not as dominant as it once was. Its diplomatic corps is stretched thin despite massive expansions as Danish diplomats struggle to maintain multiple alliances and large numbers of protectorates. Still, Denmark's relations with both its allies and vassals remain strong, although both are eyeing Denmark's throne and multiple Danish vassals have cores in Poland. Denmark's economy has also emerged from several decades of uncertainty as strong as ever, and Denmark has joined the colonial game, expanding rapidly in Vinland. How will Frederik lead Denmark into the new century?
Rise of Frederik.png

[You may notice that I have many more dip points in this image than in the next few. I was in the middle of a bunch of production dev clicks when Frederik III took over, and I decided to finish them. I think that was the wrong decision now, but that's what I did]

Danish Court.
Z court.png

Danish diplomatic ties.
Z diplomacy.png

Danish economy
Z Economy.png

Situation in Northwest Europe
Z Northwest Europe.png

Situation in Northeast Europe
Z northeast Europe.png

Situation in Canada. Note the English have made inroads here as well. Also, the Danish settlements in Nova Scotia were taken from the Dutch during the war.
Z Canada.png

Speaking of the dutch, it seems Louise's plan to punish them bore fruit. Their government has since moved its seat to Havana.
Z dutch punishment.png

Religious situation in Europe. Not sure when Hungary converted to Reformed but nice to see! There was a really strong Protestant surge in Germany and the Isles this game are NO Catholic territories in Germany controlled by Protestant realms. All yellow/blue hashed areas are Protestant lands controlled by catholics, mostly Brandenburg, which is quite big and controls no Catholic territory, although I guess they are trying to hang on to their electorship? But despite this strength within the Empire and the fact that the Protestant League was backed by both France and Portugal, they never pulled the trigger. Maybe Denmark should have pitched in? But then, why would any of our glorious kings fight such a fruitless war? Also, England has succumbed to Protestant rebels, replacing Anglicanism, which will presumably die out soon.
Z religion.png

Last edited:
That's okay with me!
I hope you enjoy! Also I realized - welcome to the forums! I'm honored to have your first posts be here.

Denmark loved its regencies, it was about time that fucked something up in a royal Chinese fashion.
Haha, there have been a LOT of regencies here. My kings rarely seem to last more than about 15 years. Is that weird or have I just never paid attention to monarchs this much before? Thanks for joining!