Imperator - Development Diary - 29th April 2019

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yep, BTW, about flags... Why was the flag of Siracuse changed to that 13-century style one? In one of teasers there was more reasonable one - monochrome emblem on monochrome background.

Please add, customize flag(coat of arms) option like CK2.
Yep, taking into account that there is system of dynamic flag generation, don't see, why it can't be added to the game - with restrictions to culture-symbols ofc.

I dont understand the changes to pop growth with that brief explanation. Cohld you share a screenshot se we can picture how that split does that exactly work?

Secondly as I understand it, this is a dev diary on balance changes, and new features such as character interactions, characters power base, naval rework and such, will be explained in other dev diaries right?

That's effectively the same thing over time.

That would be a step in the direction of EU4. One of the many complaints of the EU4 tech system was that it gave rise to arguably unrealistic tradeoffs (not saying I agree). Having just one mana type tied to research reduces that issue.

In the moment only one pop is randomyl choosen to grow. Its not the same.

Is there any chance of adding some dynamic promotion/demotion/movement to pops that doesn't just require spending points or governor policies?

For example citizen pops might migrate to higher civ level cities on their own. This could be regulated via laws too.

Additionally I'd love to see some form of slave market for moving them around to where you want them.

Those changes are really great!!!

Is there any roadmap for improvements on UI?? It is too cluttered right now, with lots of important information hidden.

The first time I played, on the tutorial, I lost literally 30 minutes trying to figure out why my armies weren't reinforcing, until I discovered that it was because they had War Elephants and the people I was importing from canceled the trade route. In this case, a single line on the manpower tooltip, right below the "To replenish the armies there is a need for X men; 0 will reach the armies this month" would do the trick. Just put it there "some cohorts cannot be reinforced because we lack the resources needed" or something like that.

But this is just one example, There are lots and lots of other problems with the UI right now, and lots of simple tricks on how the information is exposed that would really really help us out.

Have you consider to rebalance cost such as inventions being really cheap while pop movement being really expensive.

Maybe make it so that it take time to develop inventions and speed depend on research efficiency.

Last edited:
Look . . . shut the hell up. Actually shut the hell up. I say this as a person who COMPLETELY agrees with you. I've had enough of the god-damn denigration and negativity on these forums. Everyone needs to shut the hell up and learn some positive reinforcement. When Paradox does something great like this, stop, think and CELEBRATE. Praise them! Praise Johan and the team for listening! This is one of the best Dev Diaries I've seen in years and I'm really overjoyed to celebrate this transition into a new style of thinking.

I 100% agree with you.

It would be nice to have a option to enslave the whole country, part of it or only some of the pops after a war. Of course for tyranny and aggression. Also you should have a option to pick a town where all the new slaves are going.

Have you consider to rebalance cost such as inventions being really cheap while pop movement being really expensive.

This. Inventions are so overpowered compared to other mana uses. At the lowest cost, a military tradition is 400 mana which is always way worse than 4 inventions.

Also some National ideas such as -5 max war exhaustion are pretty much useless while others such as +15% pop happiness are overpowered.

Some names dont make sense when paired with their bonus.

First of all stability is now 0-100, and decays towards 50 over time. Of course all events and mechanics changing stability have been adapted to the new range.
Does this go both ways? So that if I am a -10 stability it will slowly go towards +50?

Stability
The old stability mechanics were partly legacy from the first PDS game ever made, with a range from -3 to +3, and also one of the most complained usage of power that we had in the game, in that people did not enjoy being able to instantly increase stability if they just had power.

First of all stability is now 0-100, and decays towards 50 over time. Of course all events and mechanics changing stability have been adapted to the new range.

Stabbing a pig costs 100 power, and gives +0.5 stability a month & increased pig-stabbing costs by 50% for 5 years, and this is stackable, so the more pig-stabbing you do, the faster it will increase in that timeframe.

Threshold for starting wars is a minimum of 10 stability, and you need 10 stability to appoint people to government.
Sic transit gloria mundi!

Was the -3 to +3 stability system the last true relic from EU1 era? Seems like that to me. Besides obvious stuff like having currency and provinces.

It had a good run, but to be fair that 0-100 slider sounds like a worthy upgrade.

In the moment only one pop is randomyl choosen to grow. Its not the same.
Over time it has the same impact. The weights aren't equal. The pop it chooses to grow is drawn from some probability distribution. For example, you won't grow a slave in a city with no slaves. Your suggestion would only cause the time between pop "births" to be less even across pop types, which may be a marginal improvement in terms of immersion, but it may also have a negative impact on performance.