• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
With Snowfall, all players get a free update to spice up the game. We wanted to make improvements to many things, and make sure there’s something completely new for everyone.

Weather you have already read about, and of the different weather phenomenons, all players get rain and fog on existing maps. While these weathers are almost purely cosmetic, we have put lots of effort into making them look good, so you can really see your city engulfed in rain or under a mattress of fog. For users with Snowfall, weather affects temperatures on all maps, but for people who only want the free update, weather is just a visual effect.

0I6Oxmg.png

My personal favourite of the free stuff is the new public transport interface. It’s inspired by the very popular mod by the name of “Extended public transport UI”, made by user AcidF!re. Our take on the issue is to add more control for the user over public transport, as cities with a large number of lines can become a bit hard to understand. With the new interface, you can change line colours, name lines and see more detailed information about your lines. Seeing trips saved on all lines makes it easy to see if a line is performing badly compared to the others ones, and the passenger numbers are visible for all lines of the chosen type at the same time.

LRTL87S.png

I know people feel strongly about Chirper, so this might be something that you either love or hate. Chirpy would have gotten a cold in the winter weather with no hat on, so we created the Chirpy Hats! Depending on your game version (deluxe edition, regular base game, or base game with Snowfall) you get a collection of gorgeous hats Chirpy can wear. You can choose the hat to wear, or keep your Chirpy as is, just as you like.

l9WaI4p.png

And the best thing: a modding tools update to allow creation of new map themes! This means that you can change the map textures and save them as a new theme that can be shared with other users. Not only can you make things like new tropical themes and themes resembling your home area, but you can also change how the moon looks and go for completely alien looking maps. The sky is not the limit! These new tools are very powerful and open up lots of new possibilities. You can now mod the game to look like a space colony or a dark fantasy world. What will your theme look like?

More detailed, technical information about the map themes is coming soon, so you can start planning your new worlds!

I don't see PDS talking about bug fixes in their DLC blogs though. So again, why are people expecting CO to talk about bug fixes in their DLC blog?

PDS have talked about reworked features in their DLC diaries, which is kind of more what I mean than something like them explaining that 'crash type A has been fixed', which is more in line with a bug fix. Example of what I mean: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-dev-diary-november-19th-2015.891822/

Although I will admit PDS's patch-only dev diaries, which are the ones to go more into depth, could be seen as separate from the DLC diaries. If that's the way to interpret it, I'd rephrase my statement and say that enough people would want a patch dev diary like that.

Reactions:
PDS have talked about reworked features in their DLC diaries, which is kind of more what I mean than something like them explaining that 'crash type A has been fixed', which is more in line with a bug fix. Example of what I mean: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-dev-diary-november-19th-2015.891822/

Although I will admit PDS's patch-only dev diaries, which are the ones to go more into depth, could be seen as separate from the DLC diaries. If that's the way to interpret it, I'd rephrase my statement and say that enough people would want a patch dev diary like that.

Well that is the proper place to discuss such things, in a patch blog not a dlc blog. That's my point. Expecting CO to discuss that in a DLC blog that is meant to promote a DLC is pretty illogical. CO has had a patch blog though, just people have seemed to ignore it:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/update-1-0-5-patchlog.841758/
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...mits-increased-patch-1-2-2-f2-is-live.890051/

for examples.

Reactions:
Your argument doesn't work, because A. this dev diary we're in right now is all about the free patch and B. those links are the release announcements of the patches. Not the same as a dev diary released in advance. My point is just that even in the communication about the free patch, they've only focused on the new features, even though a lot of fans have been clamoring about news on the status of older features.

Reactions:
Your argument doesn't work, because A. this dev diary we're in right now is all about the free patch and B. those links are the release announcements of the patches. Not the same as a dev diary released in advance. My point is just that even in the communication about the free patch, they've only focused on the new features, even though a lot of fans have been clamoring about news on the status of older features.

You need to reread the title: Cities: Skylines - Snowfall - Dev Diary 4: New and Free

Bug fixes aren't new content, the DD is titled NEW AND FREE, not Bug fixes and errata.

What you really want is more communication about potential bug fixes they have coming or planned for the future but again that shouldn't be in these particular DDs they are writing right now, that should be in its own topic. So expecting them to answer those questions here makes little sense, perhaps if you felt so passionately about said fixes you should create a topic to try to engage them instead of trying to take a topic off the subject matter it was created for.

Reactions:
It's really good for Cities Skylines that developers planned to integrate ideas from mods. I hope to see more ideas integrated as Automatic Bulldoze, Enhance Zoom, Extended Road Upgrade...

Little question : if i understand, trams will not be free ? That's a shame imo, because transport is not really the theme of this expansion...

You need to reread the title: Cities: Skylines - Snowfall - Dev Diary 4: New and Free

Bug fixes aren't new content, the DD is titled NEW AND FREE, not Bug fixes and errata.

What you really want is more communication about potential bug fixes they have coming or planned for the future but again that shouldn't be in these particular DDs they are writing right now, that should be in its own topic. So expecting them to answer those questions here makes little sense, perhaps if you felt so passionately about said fixes you should create a topic to try to engage them instead of trying to take a topic off the subject matter it was created for.

Yes, I want them to talk about the bug fixes. Like current info, not something months old. But they don't. Not anywhere. Nor do they tend to answer critical posts. Instead they talk about funny hats for their bird. Bug fixes, if there will be any, would be part of the free patch, and if they were any good, they'd even be among the most important free features. So here is absolutely the place to talk about that.

Little question : if i understand, trams will not be free ? That's a shame imo, because transport is not really the theme of this expansion...

If trams were free, sales figures for their paid DLC would be atrocious... But no, trams have nothing to do with snow, it's just a commercial consideration.

Reactions:
While Maxis were doing a good job...EA didn't care for 'em like they didn't for gamers....Now is happening the opposite with Paradox Interactive and there are still unhappy people.
What about all the free content for CS gamers ? What about price 13€ vs 40€ ? And then, what happens when shops in your city can't sell ? So yes, trams aren't forr free.

I am also bothered by some bugs (like the economy/day-night relation I already said in this forum - that thing that didn't work as expected they said) but I think Paradox & CO deserve better support from gamers.

Reactions:
I'd love to know if anyone complaining about the DLC's price ever had a job you wanted to be paid for. It's a few bucks. Less than a cinema visit or a burger and beer and it'll last way longer. An added bonus is the DLC doesn't turn into sh*t after one use (big bonus compared to a hamburger!)
CO and PDX have bills and people to pay. It also takes way more time and effort to develop something than writing some half-baked suggestions on a forum. Anyone who has ever developed any piece of software professionally knows this. "The button needs to do X, should be simple." Well, guess what, it'll take three people several weeks to implement and all you ever see is a stupid button. Software is hard.
All the man-hours modders spend on their mods combined no company could pay for. I, too, would love to see many mods integrated into the base game. The sad reality is, with prices this low, this isn't economically feasible. There's a limited market for every game and once every interested person has bought it, you no longer make any money. That's why there are subscription models, in-app purchases and optional DLC. I prefere the last option by a mile.

Sorry for this rant. I'm looking forward to the DLC's release and all this negativity was simply to much. Now "respectfully disagree" if you must but unless you've worked professionally in the software business or something similar I don't think you fully get what it takes to develop a large application or add features to it. (Which is ok, I don't know what it takes to run a large restaurant kitchen and still get annoyed when my order takes, what I perceive as, too long.)

Thanks for your continued development CO and PDX!

Reactions:
Yes, I want them to talk about the bug fixes. Like current info, not something months old. But they don't. Not anywhere. Nor do they tend to answer critical posts. Instead they talk about funny hats for their bird. Bug fixes, if there will be any, would be part of the free patch, and if they were any good, they'd even be among the most important free features. So here is absolutely the place to talk about that.

My point is, what you are doing here is technically off topic and can be moderated against. I am not saying you are right or wrong to complain about the lack of communication on bug fixes or the future direction of the game, I am saying you are wrong to do it here since that is not the topic of this thread.

And no bug fixes are NOT part of a free patch. Bug fixes are bug fixes, they are not new content. They might roll bug fixes into the build that deploys the free patch, but that still does not make them part of the free patch. There is a reason why versioning numbers go something like 1.2, 1.2.1, 1.2.2. The first version is a free patch build it might contain bug fixes but it doesn't have to, the next two versions are bug fixes and that's all that is deployed in them.

Play an MMO and you'll learn very quickly how the industry classifies new content patches versus bug fix patches, and how different builds can be compiled together with the wrong versions in certain areas that then deploy and break parts of the game because they simply used the wrong version of one section of code.

With all due respect, but all the Snowfall dev diaries that I have seen so far, aren't worth reading since they absolutely had no new information neither about the expansion nor the free patch. The dev diaries only put into sentences what was previously shown as a list, together with a few screenshots that show us nothing of said features.

I am really sorry to say this, but even EA has shown better PR regarding SC13 than CO in regard to Snowfall.

Granted, EA lied us into the face, but at least they gave us something. CO doesn't answer questions, they do not show us anything of worth regarding the new features or the free patch, nor do they show any interest in our critics. All they do is ignoring us and giving us the occasional "You are great and all modders do awesome work"-mantra. But nothing of substance, nothing that is of value or has meaning.

To be honest, after all that CO has shown us, or rather what they haven't shown us, since the announcement of Snowfall, I am through with them. I have better things to do than talking with a wall. There are other games out there, from developers whose words are worth something.

My words sound harsh? No wonder, I am frustrated and angry. Frustrated that no one of the official side, and this includes Pdox, seems to show any interest to address our critics. Angry that a game that has shown so much promise is driven into a wall because of poor choices and utter ignorance of how to implement new features. I may not have a professional programming background, but I am playing video games long enough to know how a good game works and to know how to distinguish a game that has a future from one that does not.
And at least with the current developing strategy, CSL has no future. Maybe if there is a change in strategy, but not if things stay as they are. Not if CO offers us nothing more than worthless eye candy. In game development it is substance and well developed features that fit into the game as a whole over atmospheric eye candy and features that only give us additional chores in a special game mode. That is especially the case, when the things you're developing are for an expansion.

So I, for myself, came to the conclusion that CO either does not know what they are doing, or they know exactly what they do, since what they do, is either that they show us utter incompetence in regards of game design, or all they want is, to grab our money without doing any notable work.

So, dear CO, just so that you understand: I am through with you and your games. I won't ever again buy any game of your company. The feature list of Snowfall is a sad joke. After Dark had so many poorly implemented features that the whole DLC isn't worth anything. You did not show any interest in fixing bugs that you have introduced with your last DLC, you did not show any interest in balancing literally broken features, such as crime. Instead you announced a new expansion which brings nothing of worth. Instead you ignore your critics. If we are of no worth for you, I decide for myself that you are of no worth for me.

To qoute a famous trainer of the FC Bayern Munich: "Ich habe fertig!"

Reactions:
I think Paradox & CO deserve better support from gamers.

Hey don't worry, i'm a strong supporter of Paradox since Europa Universalis III and i've many respect for their work and their consideration for us. My early message was just a simple observation.
And anyway, as i'm weak, Snowfall will be mine :D

Hey don't worry, i'm a strong supporter of Paradox since Europa Universalis III and i've many respect for their work and their consideration for us. My early message was just a simple observation.
And anyway, as i'm weak, Snowfall will be mine :D

I've spent over $80 a month in subscription fees to online games before, a $15 DLC won't break me. If it's got something I'll use in it (like trams), it's worth buying since I'll probably be playing this game as long as they keep it active. The only DLCs I don't buy are pure cosmetic DLCs, or ones that I will not absolutely use at all (Content packs in CK2 and Sunset Invasion for example). But if they include even the least stitch of gameplay addition, it's 15 dollars over 6 or 12 months... I spend more just starting my car up in the morning.

Reactions:
Kain2K when I look at that theme editor coming soon, I think the game gets bigger future.... how amazing is this...
Now comparing EA, pdx and CO regarding PR stuff is so senseless! I think I know what could be better for you but I won't debaate here on that matter - if Pdx asks me, i will.but I don't think PR is as bad as you pretend. Well, I manage another site (much bigger than CSF) supporting Music and Culture - promotion & Comm I know....
You think they don't care of people critics & opinions but I strongly disagree with - or trams won't be...big maps may not be, higher limits for buildings won't be, and so on...

critics and reviews, positive like negative, are the same as in Music, they are helpful to the band/label/listener as long it breathe truth, unlike yours where you critic and forget all things done since CS released.

Also, I suggest you to watch the recent stream now available on youtube for you to discover Snowfall better.

Last edited:
Notes:
-I agree, this thread is a diary of development, not a thread of corrections pending.
-Every one is free to think, I with whom praises CO in general. For many good reasons far outweigh at negatives.
Game lack of depth? Yes. One thing does not remove the other.

"After Dark" I not feel right, not buy it. Snowfall DLC "sounds" good, I'll buy.
A nice touch interface improved transportation is for everyone.

Reactions:
With all due respect, but all the Snowfall dev diaries that I have seen so far, aren't worth reading since they absolutely had no new information neither about the expansion nor the free patch. The dev diaries only put into sentences what was previously shown as a list, together with a few screenshots that show us nothing of said features.

I am really sorry to say this, but even EA has shown better PR regarding SC13 than CO in regard to Snowfall.

Granted, EA lied us into the face, but at least they gave us something. CO doesn't answer questions, they do not show us anything of worth regarding the new features or the free patch, nor do they show any interest in our critics. All they do is ignoring us and giving us the occasional "You are great and all modders do awesome work"-mantra. But nothing of substance, nothing that is of value or has meaning.

To be honest, after all that CO has shown us, or rather what they haven't shown us, since the announcement of Snowfall, I am through with them. I have better things to do than talking with a wall. There are other games out there, from developers whose words are worth something.

My words sound harsh? No wonder, I am frustrated and angry. Frustrated that no one of the official side, and this includes Pdox, seems to show any interest to address our critics. Angry that a game that has shown so much promise is driven into a wall because of poor choices and utter ignorance of how to implement new features. I may not have a professional programming background, but I am playing video games long enough to know how a good game works and to know how to distinguish a game that has a future from one that does not.
And at least with the current developing strategy, CSL has no future. Maybe if there is a change in strategy, but not if things stay as they are. Not if CO offers us nothing more than worthless eye candy. In game development it is substance and well developed features that fit into the game as a whole over atmospheric eye candy and features that only give us additional chores in a special game mode. That is especially the case, when the things you're developing are for an expansion.

So I, for myself, came to the conclusion that CO either does not know what they are doing, or they know exactly what they do, since what they do, is either that they show us utter incompetence in regards of game design, or all they want is, to grab our money without doing any notable work.

So, dear CO, just so that you understand: I am through with you and your games. I won't ever again buy any game of your company. The feature list of Snowfall is a sad joke. After Dark had so many poorly implemented features that the whole DLC isn't worth anything. You did not show any interest in fixing bugs that you have introduced with your last DLC, you did not show any interest in balancing literally broken features, such as crime. Instead you announced a new expansion which brings nothing of worth. Instead you ignore your critics. If we are of no worth for you, I decide for myself that you are of no worth for me.

To qoute a famous trainer of the FC Bayern Munich: "Ich habe fertig!"
Totally agree. I was very excited about CS when it came out. The simulation was lacking but surely, I thought, it will be expanded on in future DLCs. And I was right, when AD was announced I was thrilled that it was going to expand on the tourism, crime and economic mechanics. What a let down I experienced when AD was released. But still, I thought, this is Paradox, my favorite publisher, there will be a patch for this buggy DLC. So I waited and waited. Well, I thought, looks like I've been had but let's see what the next DLC has to offer before giving up on CS. And now I see, without any doubt, that CS is a city painting game and that CO has no intention of further developing it into a city builder/simulation game.

I must say that while I still respect Paradox as a publisher I have lost all faith in them as a distributor. While they don't develop games for the lowest common denominator, they obviously have no problem distributing them.

Reactions:
Yawn, nothing here that really is an improvement to convince me to buy Snowfall. I already use the Public Transport Extended UI mod so not really seeing much gain here. I will say that it's about time we see a good mod get incorporated into the core game. How about Improved AI by jfarias that so excellently spreads traffic out along multilane roads and highways?

I use the awesome Chirpy Exterminator mod so could care less about the most annoying game feature ever. A real improvement would be to have an automatic message remover instead of forcing us to manually delete every message.

I don't use the map editor so that's not a real inspiration either. Yes it's nice to be able to make alien worlds but that means making alien buildings or assuming it's an earth like world.

What about fixes for the poorly programmed Tourism and Leisure buildings that are only low density? Where are the high density Tourism and Leisure buildings? What about fixing the decrepit income from both of those new districts? Did you fix the broken Space Elevator and Tourism for large cities? How about scaling up Tourism more to make the After Dark feature less of a drag on income?

Did you do anything to improve the poor ridership of public transport? I found it decreased with the AD update and expansion pack. Giving us the UI is nice but what about improving how the buses and metro trains run by spreading them out more over the whole line? That would be far more valuable to us players.

Sorry but so far Snowfall seems like a Snowjob to me. I just don't see anything so far that makes me want to buy this expansion pack. I'm starting to lose interest in Skylines building my new city with the AD expansion trying to reach 1 million Cims. I hit a district limit but am working around it by changing my district concept, I hope they add more like I asked when reporting it in the bugs and fixes section. I've noticed income is down in my new city compared to my first one pre AD. The only interest comes from using so many of the mods that are superior to the core game's service buildings.

The only thing that got me to buy the AD expansion was the bug fix to increase the building and zone block limits by 50%. That gave me hope I could make a city of 1 million Cims for my YouTube video series that can be seen here:

I have a great layout concept and my traffic system is so good I don't use any traffic manager mods except the Improved AI because it makes better use of my multilane roads and highways than the core game. I'm just so frustrated that Skylines makes it difficult to build large cities with lots of population, like I can in Cities XXL. I like Cities XXL better because I can build huge cities on whole maps and can make multiple ones that trade with each other. A shame Skylines won't let me do that!

Reactions:
Except perhaps for assets with tree and flower props on them. A palm tree would look pretty silly with snow on it as would a deciduous tree with leaves on it.
Eh, people will plant a palm tree just about anywhere these days, though.
Maybe not at high altitudes or extreme latitudes, but I HAVE seen one or two palms in cities that get SOME snow.

Reactions:
The only thing that got me to buy the AD expansion was the bug fix to increase the building and zone block limits by 50%. That gave me hope I could make a city of 1 million Cims for my YouTube video series that can be seen here:

I have a great layout concept and my traffic system is so good I don't use any traffic manager mods except the Improved AI because it makes better use of my multilane roads and highways than the core game. I'm just so frustrated that Skylines makes it difficult to build large cities with lots of population, like I can in Cities XXL. I like Cities XXL better because I can build huge cities on whole maps and can make multiple ones that trade with each other. A shame Skylines won't let me do that!

Now this here is a "hardcore" player. I couldn't play Cities XXL as there's no real management to it, except for traffic.