• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Traffic is an important thing in any city. Traffic and winter is a whole different challenge! For Snowfall, we wanted to make sure there’s something new affecting traffic. We settled on to two major things: snow on the roads and road maintenance. While the snow plows will be discussed later, this text will shed some light on what else is new in the game.

JCWQxV8.png

The road maintenance service, unlike the snow plows, is available on all maps. What the maintenance service does is that it gives some extra care to roads, allowing vehicles to travel on them faster. Normal roads in normal condition are fine and good, but with a road maintenance service covering the city streets, the traffic can get an extra boost from higher maximum speeds on the roads. The boost a maintenance truck gives fades away with time, but if the service covers the city well, the trucks travel to boost the roads that have the least boost left on them. Road maintenance can be used with the snow plow services, so that boosted roads don’t suffer from snow as fast as non-boosted roads.

Then the thing many people have been waiting for: trams! They are something we have been planning for a long time and finally get to share with you. Trams operate on tracks and reside in a tram depot when they are not on lines. The basic principle is much the same as with buses: the budget defines how many trams are available in the depot or depots, and the vehicles are divided between lines depending on line length. Longer lines get more vehicles than shorter lines. To get more vehicles, increase the city budget for the service. Trams need to be able to reach the line from the depot, so you may need to lay some extra tracks to allow trams to get to lines further away from the depot.

mnKbXaH.jpg

To build tracks, you can upgrade/downgrade existing roads to versions with tracks, or build new roads with tracks. There are both regular two-way roads and one way roads with tracks. As a finishing touch, tram tracks have overhead wires.

To give the trams some advantages over buses, tram tracks can also be built as standalone versions with no road beneath them. The standalone tracks are very handy for getting your trams to avoid busy intersections or streets known to be crowded. Stops can only be placed on roads and pedestrian pathways, but the standalone tracks allow for nice little detours to keep your trams free from traffic jams.

5IzlCES.jpg

Trams have a higher passenger capacity than buses (20 for buses, 30 for trams), but also have a little higher upkeep costs per distance traveled, about 15% more than for buses. For best results, trams should be used as short inner city lines, and buses and metros can handle longer distances. Trams do not benefit from road maintenance boost, but also are not hindered by snow.

WUNmnAt.jpg

To get the winter theme really going, we have done lots of variations of existing buildings. This means your city does not need to have palm trees waving in the snow storm, or citizens hanging out on piers in the freezing cold. Things like flower pots are modified to fit the winter to keep the city looking consistent. Some buildings are only available to players who also own After Dark, but many are variations to the base game ones. My favourites are the agricultural buildings on fertile land, which are greenhouses on winter maps. You will also see many new parks that fit winter time better than the default parks.

These new additions to the game are available in the paid expansion. We feel they give a lot of new possibilities to handling roads, traffic and public transportation. I can’t wait to see all the cool tram systems you will be building!

Skylines'n'chill? Cheers for the dev blog!

You thought we'd leave those out? :D

Tram bridges and tunnels, I forgot to mention those! Yes, the tracks work with the same basic logic as roads, so you can elevated them or dig tunnels.

Is it not too late to add a dedicated bus road too, so that way buses can also bypass busy intersections?

Reactions:
So I'm guessing roads with tram tracks will not be able to be combined with roads with bus lanes. We will have to choose one or the other?

Reactions:
I wish the snow DLC was available on all maps. I like the addition of snow/snow plows; but was hoping it would be incorporated within the game as a whole; to keep me occupied on lets say a boreal map. I'm not a fan of different maps for certain things. I like one big one and have unlimited possibilities.

On the snow map; would we be able to create ski resorts or resorts in general or just with the leisure district?

Reactions:
Well, I thought a lot about the maintenance service today.
"Boosting" seems a little bit strange. Best way would be, that the road gets worse and worse if no maintenance is happening until cars can only drive 50% of the highspeed maybe.
I understand the thinking behind the idea CO had, because it's an "addition" it should not influence the core game itself. But in this case I have to contradict. Every service has no influence on the city until it's reached through the milestones. You could use exactly this. Player who own snowfall can reach their milestone with the maintenance service, player who don't own snowfall don't need to care, because you just don't need to add the maintenance service to the milestones so they will never unlock it. I think taxis work this way too.
If this isn't enough - reintroduce the "ruleset" editor. An option to switch off every Service you want, perfect for people who just want to build a beautiful city without caring for the mechanics itself. I hate hearses? Turn them off!
This would be a win-win-win-Situation - and the maintenance service would make way more sense!

Reactions:
Well, I thought a lot about the maintenance service today.
"Boosting" seems a little bit strange. Best way would be, that the road gets worse and worse if no maintenance is happening until cars can only drive 50% of the highspeed maybe.
I understand the thinking behind the idea CO had, because it's an "addition" it should not influence the core game itself. But in this case I have to contradict. Every service has no influence on the city until it's reached through the milestones. You could use exactly this. Player who own snowfall can reach their milestone with the maintenance service, player who don't own snowfall don't need to care, because you just don't need to add the maintenance service to the milestones so they will never unlock it. I think taxis work this way too.
If this isn't enough - reintroduce the "ruleset" editor. An option to switch off every Service you want, perfect for people who just want to build a beautiful city without caring for the mechanics itself. I hate hearses? Turn them off!
This would be a win-win-win-Situation - and the maintenance service would make way more sense!
Even through it was small, Simcity 4 had a boost in some services capacities when they got overfunded, but the advisors usually complained about that and Sims would also complain when overfunding cops, making them more abusive.

The only way to the 50% slowliness make some sense would be removing the agent teletransportation, otherwise it would be the same as blocking the sun with a sieve, hence this game needs a new difficulty level with high complexity simulation that removes some oddities to some fixes and tweaks make some significant effect.

Reactions:
For those worried about the capacities, just use Advanced Vehicle Options mod to set your desired speed and count on them.

I suppose that mod has to be updated to allow for the simulation dependent capacity... But we'll see. I am curious how fast the modding community will be able to update mods, especially all traffic mods.

Did / will the modders get a head start?

Reactions:
With tram's getting stand-alone tracks, will we also be seeing busses getting seperated bus roads? They're used for exactly the same reason you mention for the trams. I can't imagine the horror of having to do my commute without the seperated road my bus goes over as it would end up probably doubling the time it takes for me.

To elaborate on the trams! I was a bit too vague in the dev diary, the trams carry 30 passengers per carriage, so one tram carries 90 citizens. It's not designed to be realistic, but rather to make trams feel different than buses and give them a purpose in the game. It is something that will be likely to be modded, and we absolutely welcome any mods for realistic tram capacities :)

Reactions:
To elaborate on the trams! I was a bit too vague in the dev diary, the trams carry 30 passengers per carriage, so one tram carries 90 citizens. It's not designed to be realistic, but rather to make trams feel different than buses and give them a purpose in the game. It is something that will be likely to be modded, and we absolutely welcome any mods for realistic tram capacities :)

Thanks, I edited my article my side. :)

Ah ok. That makes even more sense then. I actually don't mind 30 per car. The only thing I find odd about trams now is the fact that they are recommended for shorter routes with buses being recommended for longer routes. But I really do appreciate CO thinking about how they fit into the game and not just cloning an existing in game transportation system. It sounds like this is more about movement speed anyway, with trams being said to be slow and buses being able to now drive faster on high maintenance roads. But I'm sure there are ways to make extensive tram routes quite effective despite this, particularly if we can create more direct routes by taking them off the roads. So it pretty much seems like a non issue to me.

Reactions:
Stops can only be placed on roads and pedestrian pathways

Tram bridges and tunnels, I forgot to mention those! Yes, the tracks work with the same basic logic as roads, so you can elevated them or dig tunnels.

Is there a chance to build underground stations like the subway station, when the tram is subterranean?

Example:
In Karlsruhe they changed many tram lanes from overground to underground to have a better flow of pedestians and traffic. So I would use overground trams from outside to the city and at areas with many traffic I would change to subterranean with underground stations.

So trams wouldn't be stack in traffic within city center.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kombilösung_(Karlsruhe)
http://www.diekombiloesung.de/kombiloesung/projekt.html

Reactions:
In Karlsruhe they changed many tram lanes from overground to underground to have a better flow of pedestians and traffic. So I would use overground trams from outside to the city and at areas with many traffic I would change to subterranean with underground stations.

The term you are searching for is the Stadtbahn (Wikipedia), which is a crossbreeding of a tram and a subway. Sometimes it's an average tram that goes underground, sometimes it's a average subway that goes overground. Exceptions prove the rule. The Stadtbahn is the most flexible public transport railway, since it always changes their behavior to the given circumstances.
The town Essen is a great example for this. In the main station a lot of lines meet underground, but some are subway-like and some are tram-like, so they have different platform heights. Outside of the city both rail types run overground, often in the middle of the street.

In Cities in Motion2 we got, through the awesome mod of eis_os, the possibility to use subway stations also for trams, this way we could place really awesome Stadtbahn layouts. I really really hope we can do it in Cities:Skylines aswell.

What I am really curious about is: Can we lay one-way-tracks or is it ALWAYS tracks on both sides of the street? What about terminuses? Do we need a loop or is it a two-way-tram? CAN we build loops with one-way-tracks, a block bypass?

Reactions: