• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's interesting seeing Arry develop and grow...almost feels like we've watched him grow from baby to child to young adult in intricate detail.

Problematic in with dealing with an assassin for the first time is that you have no idea if the person is capable of the job until afterwards.

How true that is (unless he's done a killing before in a similar situation, I suppose).

I love your AAR. I stalk since the first chapter and regularly penetrate the reload button just because of "The Little Cub".
... and how you respond to your reader(s wishes). I think that needs some patience from you. You have my greatest respect.
So, great work and keep going!

By the way, I need your patience once more, could you do a update about the great or important familys in the near future?
That would be quite interessting. Especially how Arry's sisters and fiancee are now.
Maybe you could do a short overview and sometimes update it when needed, if you want that. I just think that may would be easier.

Marvellous, once more. Arry is a charming prince, a master swordsman and has a fine personality, could he be similar to Rhaegar? I assume many lords would look up to him as a potential/legitimate ruler, considering Storm's background.
All this makes me think that if GRRM was telling this tale, he would meet his doom rather quickly. Let's hope he doesn't!

Regarding the Velaryons, I always liked keeping canon dynasties in place, and it would be a shame to see them gone.

As you might remember, Ryan is the head of the faction to put Arry on the throne. The last picture of part 36 should clearly tell you where the next update will take place - and with whom. ;) But then again, when you play the game of thrones you win or die. I also agree with you, I like to keep the canon dynasties where they belong. Hence Starks and Tullies still rule their rightful lands.

Very interesting. The "union" with Littlefingers daughter could ensure some "unlucky accidents", if shes like her daddy.
Her stats are only mediocre which is a rather pity since her father and sister were both awesome trait-wise.

The Ironborn and pirates must be conquered!
I can not declare a war on Aurane Waters since I am not the King. Only Edric has the royal claim over Stepstones, and he seems awfully content for a character with 'ambitious' trait.

It's interesting seeing Arry develop and grow...almost feels like we've watched him grow from baby to child to young adult in intricate detail.
Mission accomplished, then. The pace is slow compared to other AARs, but I want to go more into detail because that helps the readers to understand the protagonist better. It can be painful at times since the actual playing doesn't take that long, whereas actually catching up with the story by writing is time-taking.

Just get your dragon and conquer all the lands! :p
That would make things easier indeed. The last dragon is a wild one at Pyke. Maybe Arry's fate is to face a dragon like his father did. Only time will tell.. ; )

I love your AAR. I stalk since the first chapter and regularly penetrate the reload button just because of "The Little Cub".
... and how you respond to your reader(s wishes). I think that needs some patience from you. You have my greatest respect.
So, great work and keep going!

By the way, I need your patience once more, could you do a update about the great or important familys in the near future?
That would be quite interessting. Especially how Arry's sisters and fiancee are now.
Maybe you could do a short overview and sometimes update it when needed, if you want that. I just think that may would be easier.

Oh hey! Thanks for commenting, it's nice to see the people behind the views! It's not such a bother to reply to the viewers: I'm actually happy that people write what they think of what I've written, and I doubt I would be very motivated to keep on working if people didn't. The least I can do is reply to them! I'd rather not do an interlude just yet, in the middle of a chapter. I'll make sure to write one after I finish this chapter!

Last edited:
I can't remember if this mod does it, but is it possible for Arry to improve his education trait through use? I know I've seen it before but I can't remember which mod.

Yes you can. As he fights in battles he has a chance of getting better. I had one guy go from 1 tier to 4 through use.

Her stats are only mediocre which is a rather pity since her father and sister were both awesome trait-wise.

Noticed that, but in my oppinion Stats only diddn't tell everything about someone.She's ambitious and ruthless but too craven to do thing on her own. And nobody knows what happen to her, cause of the fact she fu..s the past and maybe future king?! ;)

Kind of a same Arry lost those golden Lannister locks, and a good thing you can give haircuts because we was looking a bit like a sex offender there. Loving the AAR as usual, creating fire was great!! Superb idea. Good that both you and Clayton turned out pretty decent. Clayton could make a great lord commander on day once you get back into power.....

Fire, now that's a good name. I hope the upcoming battles boost Arry's military education at least once.
Its clear that Arry remembers Aurane Waters and the Stepstones so I could see a return there, but does he care about Bravos or did that grudge die with his father.?
Also, did Rhaegal die from his wounds?

The Little Cub
Part 37 - The Last Kraken

--

Three hundred and three thousand men had answered the summons and come to Dragonstone. The castle of Seagard had already fallen to Lord Ryan Tully, but the war was far from done. The Riverlanders would need any men they could get, and King Edric had stayed out of the fighting. This clash would be between Lord Ryan and Queen Asha as no other major nobles had declared to join either side - with the exception of me, of course. But the numbers I had wouldn't change the tide alone since Queen Asha was said to have brought close to twenty-thousand men to the Riverlands. There had not been a battle yet, and I hoped to arrive before one would take place.

When everything was ready and my troops were ready to depart, it was time to bid farewell. My closest companions, Gaston Rivers, Ser Clayton and Ser Guyard had insisted on joining me, and I had welcomed them to join my side. Both my sisters had already been married, so the only family member still living with me was my mother, Alla Tyrell. I could sense she was concerned; my father had died fighting as well, and she didn't want the same fate for me. She left the words unsaid though, most likely knowing I was committed and no words would turn me from my decision now.

I also went to see Lyra for one last time. The short time we'd spent together had taught me something new about life, and it grieved me to have to leave her behind. War was no place for women, though, and besides she was but my lover. Our relationship had never been an official one since I was to marry King Edric's daughter, Malora, in a few years. Lyra however was unmarried, and to think that she was all mine made me love her more. When I confronted her with the news that I would leave Dragonstone soon, she revealed to me she was with a child. To hear that she was carrying my offspring stunned me. I was totally something that I had not expected, and I did not find the words to explain my feelings. Seeing me stand there, silently, she assured me that everything was fine and that no one would know. She planned to drink moontea and therefore prevent the pregnancy from developing. That is when I found my words once more. I told her not to do so, and that we would figure out what to do with the child once I returned.

Hbx09y1.png
Mivf8LM.png

The Driftwood Crown had passed to Euron Crow's Eye after King Balon's sudden demise. His invasion of the Reach had failed miserably, and after that the Iron Islands had fallen into chaos. A civil war raged for years, and when it ended years later another one soon followed. The Ironborn grew weary and the the lords began to think of changing a ruler. The name Victarion Greyjoy was on some people's lips: a legendary warrior who'd tamed a dragon. However he'd converted to the faith of R'hllor during his time in the east, and to the followers of the Drowned God that alone was good enough of a reason to keep him off from the Seastone Chair. With all of King Balon's siblings out of question, the gaze turned to his children. Rodrik and Maron had died long ago, and Theon was bound to the Night's Watch. The girl, Asha, had been groomed for command and battle since a child.

She'd gone to exile after his uncle Euron was crowned the King of the Iron Islands. After that she ended up being captured by Stannis Baratheon, and spent next few years in his custody. When Stannis' war in the North turned into a defeat, he fled to Dragonstone with the remains of his army - and his prisoners. After the King of the Narrow Sea surrendered, Asha Greyjoy was freed from shackles and given accomodations in the Red Keep at young King Tommen's court. Soon a rebellion began in the Iron Islands in which King Crow's Eye was deposed. A message was sent to King's Landing, and so Asha Greyjoy returned home and assumed the sole leadership of the Iron Islands.

v3DcnM5.png

Although everyone expected that her reign would bring peace and prosperity, there were those that still supported Crow's Eye's claim. The Greyjoys became divided, and members of the family began murdering each other. The dragonrider Victarion Greyjoy and two of his sons met their end, along with Euron's wife and sole son. The third and youngest son of Victarion Greyjoy foolishly let the dragon Viserion free, and instead of obeying the boy's commands, it burned him alive and flew away. Euron later died as well, and so Queen Asha's position became uncontested. Finally able to turn her gaze elsewhere, she received a great victory in her invasion of the Riverlands, and Lady Lyssa Baelish, Littlefinger's eldest daughter submit to her rule.

Although all in all everything seemed to be going her way, the peace was short-lasted. King Tommen returned from his own war against Lord Mace Tyrell, only to hear that the Riverlands were lost. He turned his army around and marched to war once more, sending the Ironborn back to their islands. Part of the peace treaty included that the Twins and Seagard would remain under Queen Asha's rule, and King Tommen submitted to that. Lyssa Baelish no longer was the lady of the Riverlands, and that honor along with Harrenhal was granted to Ryan Tully. Another war followed, and Lord Ryan took the Twins from the Ironborn.

Asha Greyjoy was determined to see that the same would not happen again. She was already in her mid-fifties and childless besides, and only thing that would live on after her death would be her victories. She had twenty-thousand men whereas the Riverlanders had over ten thousand more. The fight would be hard, that was for sure. From what we knew before leaving Dragonstone, her army was somewhere at the Trident whereas Lord Ryan's men were positioned at Seagard. Sailing around Dorne and taking my fleet to Seagard would take too long, and so we set out course to Saltpans. I needed to be careful or else me and my men would be caught by an enemy army several times bigger than us in size. The Vale had wrestled Darry lands from the Riverlands in some petty clash during Lady Lyssa's reign. I hoped that we were safe in there for now since Lord Harrold Arryn had not joined the war, and Queen Asha no doubt didn't want to provoke the Vale to join the fighting by trespassing on their soil.

EpvjVNI.png

When the fleet finally arrived to Saltpans, we were welcomed with great news of victory. While most of the Riverlander army was stationed in Seagard, besieging the smaller castles around that area, another army with some ten thousand men had engaged a small Ironborn army five times smaller. The clash had ended as presumed, and all the Ironborn were cut down to last man. I was eager to join the fighting, and sent a messenger to Lord Ryan that my men were ready. The Ironborn army was in the middle of us and so I waited for the Riverlanders to make the move. They indeed marched south, but not with the numbers I'd expected. The smaller Riverlander army that had already won one battle headed right into a trap where twice their number of Ironborn awaited.

MQi6EZc.png

The Riverlander army was annihilated. For every dead Ironborn, there were three or four dead Riverlanders. I cursed the fool - whoever he was - that had lead the army down south. My brother-in-law Lord Ryan was a quick man and a proven soldier; there was no way the smaller army had followed his commands. One important battle had been lost, but the war was still not over. We'd lost the advantage, and now both sides had equal number of men. I only hoped that the defeat would make the Riverlanders realize they could no longer divide their remaining forces.

HCYxjtK.png

After the catastrophe of Seven Bridges, the rest of the Riverlanders regrouped and marched south to meet the Ironborn in open battle. Lord Ryan informed me by a letter since I was unable to join his army with the Ironborn standing between us. Hoping that I'd make it there in time and turn the battle to his favor, me and my men finally left Saltpans and marched to battle. I'd spent countless hours practicing, and now I would finally put my skills into a test in which my life was at stake. I had yet to see a true battle and like every young man of my age, I was hungry for glory and thirsty for blood.

We advanced towards the Riverlands cautiously and my outriders made sure to eliminate any Ironborn scouts nearby. I didn't know whether Iron Queen Asha was aware of our location or not, but I wanted to hope we had the advantage of surprise. We didn't face any resistance and my men reported that the Ironborn army had gathered at Blue Fork. The Riverlander army had also arrived, and we had to make haste if we wanted to join the battle. The fighting was expected to take place at the crossing of Waterford, in which case the defending Ironborn had the advantage. When I and my men finally arrived, the battle was raging already. Men fought in the shallow waters of the crossing, and I ordered my troops to join the battle on Lord Ryan's side. I personally rode forth to the center, clad in a plate armor whilst mounted on a destrier. When I arrived the scene, I was told that Lord Ryan had been wounded in the fighting and that he'd moved away from the frontlines. Leading the center fell to my responsibility, and I charged into battle with Fire in my hand.

37-23_zps424072df.png

I shouted commands from the horseback, encouraging the men to push forward. The Ironborn held their ground though, and heavy losses were sustained on both sides. The river turned to red and corpses floated in the water, and more people lost their lives fighting every second. I'd never seen such horror or a fight of that scale; Ser Balon had talked to me before about leading in battle, but it was a thing one had to witness personally to understand. Taking a life for the first time was a similar moment. I'd sparred thousands and thousands of times, but all those hours of practicing were but playing compared to the brutal end an actual fight had. And there, riding in the battlefield, I felt I finally understood the nature of war.

kbcZUju.png

I shouted and shouted from across the horseback, telling the men to push on. A few straggled enemies tried their luck with me, but me and my retinue made short work of them. With my closest companions, Ser Clayton Follard, Gaston the White Bastard and Ser Guyard Buckler beside me, I was safe. They were all excellent swordsmen even if as unseasoned as I was, and fought bravely at my side. We had the numbers, but the Ironborn fought fiercely. It's said that the Ironborn like to fight with their feet wet, knowing that they'd join their Drowned God if killed in battle. And they fought hard indeed as if aided by their dreadful God, defending the crossing against our superior numbers. In the distance I could see the Kraken flag of Iron Queen Asha Greyjoy. As much as I would've wanted to lead my men to capture it and put an end to the queen herself, this was not the day. As the men began to lose their hopes and turned around, there was no stopping them. When one man turned around to flee, the comrades next to him did the same and soon half the army was on its heels. The battle was lost.

hLo8tet.png

Slaying a fleeing man is almost too easy, I soon noticed. The Ironborn pursued the fleeing Riverlanders and I had to turn my steed around and salvage what still remained of our army. I managed to rally some ten thousand men, and together we headed west towards Blackwood Vale in hopes of shelter. The morale was low even if our numbers were still high as the Ironborn had continued pursuing us. Those of us that had been wounded or simply were too weak to carry on stayed at the back of the marching army and were picked one by one by the enemies. Using fear and desire for vengeance, I convinced that we needed to get to Blackwood Vale to rally so that we could march later to take the fight back to the enemies. Lord Ryan Tully was nowhere to be found, and so the men looked up to me to lead them to safety.

Although everything seemed to have gone awry, information told to me by a captured Ironborn scout lifted the spirits slightly. Apparently amidst the battle of Waterford the Iron Queen Asha Greyjoy had been maimed. The wound had not healed, and she had died two days later from infection. Without any children or close relatives alive, the Ironborn had prepared to fight amongst themselves over who'd rule over them next. A man named Quenton had seized the command, based on the fact that he was the last living male member of the House Greyjoy. Apparently this King Quenton was a distant relative of the late Queen Asha and already in his seventies. I only hoped that he would take his army back to the Iron Islands instead of fighting this war. Though the tide was in their favor, the war was not over now would it be until the Ironborn recaptured Seagard.

yInQDgG.png

BIc0hz5.png

My hopes were soon crushed. The newly-elected Iron King Quenton took the remains of his army and marched after us. They caught up with us at the field half-a-day's ride from Fairmarket. We had the men, but the battle of Waterford had been a heavy blow to everyone's morale. I did my best to bring some order to the lines, but the spirits of the men were wavering. This time it was us defending, and I meant to give hell to the Ironborn if the men only were with me. And so the battle began.

Uq4l7hs.png

I personally joined the shieldwall with Fire in my hand at the start of the battle, and fought in the frontlines with my companions. As I knew it would, the sight of the Prince of Dragonstone seemed to inspire the nearby men and the Riverlanders fought harder against the Ironborn who pressed onwards. When more and more of them poured against our lines, the formation broke and every man was left fending for himself. The fighting raged all around me, and I swung Fire at any Ironborn close to me, sending them to the afterlife with the Valyrian steel sword of mine. It was in that cluster that I saw an Ironborn highborn, cut off from most of his men. I pressed onwards through the fighting and made my way to him.

JQZizdt.png
YBBCRJc.png

The man turned to me after finishing his current opponent and looked at me for a long moment, clearly recognising that I was highborn as well. ''Tell your Gods it was Thormor Ironmaker who sent you to afterlife'', the man shouted and charged at me with a battleaxe held high. I dodged the heavy blow with a sidestep and cut his ankle, forcing him on his knees. Stunned by the pain, he let out a moan and I took a step behind him, moving Fire to his neck. ''There's only one God'', I replied. Valar morghulis. Then, I opened the man's throat from ear to ear.

The rest of the battle remains foggy, now that I think of it afterwards. I do not remember how long the fighting went on, but at some time Clayton ran into me. We'd lost the sight of one another after the breaking of the shieldwall, and I was glad that he'd survived. Our men were slowly pulling back, and Clayton shouted to me that we needed to retreat as well. This battle was lost as well. I was thirsty for more blood, but the thought of my unborn child is what convinced me to turn around and flee. I'd somehow managed to stay unharmed through both battles, but the fact that we were losing the war and I'd been unable to turn the tide hurt me as badly as any wound would. Only a third remained of the three thousand men I'd taken with me to the Riverlands, and I decided it was time to bring them home.

bSUp9tR.png
tyVyHhc.png

The war was not over. Although Lord Ryan Tully had lost all his armies, he'd began gathering a new one the moment he returned to Harrenhal. The fighting would go on for a while longer, but I'd have no part of it. I'd done my share, just as my men had, and no one could deny that. The campaign had been a disaster, but despite all the setbacks I'd learned valuable lessons and taken someone's life for the first time. I was now more determined than ever to pursue my old ambitions and understood better what it took to take what was mine.

The road from Fairmarket to Dragonstone was long. I'd spent months in the mainland and heard only little of what had happened in the lonely island I called home. The news about the Riverlander army's annihilation had spread throughout the Westeros, and when I returned to Dragonstone, people were glad to see I was alive. Lyra was in the final stage of her pregnancy, and two weeks after my arrival she gave birth to a son. I acknowledged the baby as mine, and we decided to name him Durran - after Durran Godsgrief, the founder of the Durrandon dynasty and builder of Storm's End.

The winter comes for all of us, but one must never give up. Justice will be served, and I shall defy even the gods themselves if they stand on my way.

5RLBosw.png

Last edited:
Lovely update leaving me wanting more :D

I like how you explained the AI's stupid move as a "trap" the enemy lured them into.