• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Steppes peoples the greeks clashed had chinese origins going linguistically atleast, they didn't do accurate portraits back then of random barbarians when you had greeks to make statues of. So chances are everyone in europe can trace back to china if they go back far enough.
Probably the other way too but china's not really something i've ever cared about enough to know it's history but I'd assume they married into nomads same as everyone else.
Jason of Argonauts fame went somewhere which is now the border of China, so theres another link too without having to go as recent as Alexander and recorded real history.

Steppes peoples the greeks clashed had chinese origins going linguistically atleast, they didn't do accurate portraits back then of random barbarians when you had greeks to make statues of. So chances are everyone in europe can trace back to china if they go back far enough.
Probably the other way too but china's not really something i've ever cared about enough to know it's history but I'd assume they married into nomads same as everyone else.
Jason of Argonauts fame went somewhere which is now the border of China, so theres another link too without having to go as recent as Alexander and recorded real history.
I thought the Argonauts went to Georgia, not the steppes?

How can Europeans traces back to China?

DNA says otherwise. Maybe Slavs can but not other Europeans. Only Slavs were conquered by Asiatic peoples.

Not really. As in sure, there are plenty enough Mongols with slanted eyes, but I'm a green-eyed, blond-haired, >sixfoot tall European with slanted eyes thanks to some Mongol (Tartar) ancestry centuries away (must be some strong genes). Which is not actually that unique west of Germany. The diagonal eyes are typically overlooked because of the more typically European hair colour, but if you take a closer, longer look on many Russian or even Polish faces, you'll notice a lot of diagonal eyes that can't possibly be coming from China or Japan in any way or attributed to Siberian natives.

Yeah... no kidding. I even freaking studied Mongolian, more of them had slanted eyes than 'flat' - sooo....

I thought the Argonauts went to Georgia, not the steppes?

The 'Griffin Skulls' and a few of the landmarks, and of course, the Gold. Have lead a serious number of scholars to point out Tian Shan and one specific pass in particular as where the story has Jason going.
It was the capitol of one of the Scythian 'Empires' for a while too but mostly it's customs and landmarks described, the Griffin skulls being dinosaur skulls of a specific type that were being found there in large numbers at the time and something about the fleece actually lining up to artefacts produced at that place at that time.
The georgia theory, while still valid as 1. basically prehistory we'll never know for sure and 2. It's a poem and possibly not based on real events at all, but at-least in recently published and fashionable stuff, not the leading theory.

Also the Tocharians are an example of an Indo-European (Aryan) language and so presumably, genetic group living for a long time in China. And plenty of the barbarians the ancient greeks stood against match more chinese than turkic origin, although the greeks really didn't care about people who weren't greek so were rubbish at describing them, but languagewise there were lead ins.
But then the Mongols shared acouple gods and a few words with the Celts so exchange doesn't necessarily mean also exchanging genetics on enough of a scale to matter.

While Tocharians were indo-European, Aryan only refers indo-iranians not all indo-Europeans.

I thought it had been decided that they were in the Aryan subgroup. Maybe that was one person arguing it though rather than proving it.
It's not actual knowledge im working off here but half-remembered conversations though so who knows.

What about the Huns? I know that was much earlier but they were Asiatic.

The Avars too, and probably the Sycthians (Though the arguments about them are endless) and the many that came before the greeks and their heirs started writing their names too. Although theres always been a trouble of all non-europeans being described the same way by the greeks so really it's only linguistically we can go on and that's not perfect.

Point is, there was really never a time when there wasn't interaction between the west and east across the steppes, even if it went in steps over the steppes rather than direct as works now.

You forgot all the people the Ottoman empire conquered, but whether they're "Asiatic" or not is up for discussion I guess.

Atleast in language groups, central asia is it's own thing again.

What about the Huns? I know that was much earlier but they were Asiatic.
The Huns were crushed by a combined Germanic and Roman force. Also, they settled in "Hungary". Which does not even speak a Indo-European language and is "Eastern Europe".

You forgot all the people the Ottoman empire conquered, but whether they're "Asiatic" or not is up for discussion I guess.
All the "Europeans" the Ottomans conquered were Slavs besides Greeks and maybe "Romanians" if you want. So my point is still true.

Last edited:
What about Silk Road?
Did anyone mention how it will be represented?

So are there new central asian steppe provinces as well? Are all start days supported? I am really excited about this extension. Next up China? :)

All start dates current usable work with RoI.